Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Improving Midfield - how will it set up?

Read 28121 times
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Re: Improving Midfield - how will it set up?
      Reply #92: Nov 06, 2018 08:16:48 pm
      In how many matches have we dominated the midfield this season?

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #93: Nov 06, 2018 08:35:22 pm
      Our midfield are the easy target all the time.

Firstly we dont have a Molby type to spray passes around.  Not the fault of the players we have none of ghem play like Molby/ Alonso. The fact then that too often we stick 3 of them in together doesnt help. We havent seen enough of Keita or Shaqiri yet hopefully 1 or both can give us that something different.

Second and I alluded to this in tge match thread, even if you had Molby too often the movement from the others isnt good enough. Example Robbo. He bombss on but then holds the run to get  the ball to feet. Instead of sprinting on and gibing tge midfield a chance to knock the ball forward into space. Our penetration is for the most part terrible
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #94: Nov 06, 2018 08:39:00 pm
      Not one tackle won by any of Lallana, Gini or Millie in that first half.

Easy targets for a reason.

Unacceptable.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #95: Nov 06, 2018 08:39:10 pm
      We just got midfielder full workhorses no skill that fact more football then power and running around like headless chicken we need buy midfielder bit like David Silva that control match score goals, give killer pass we not going win anything these year or next year we same midfield only think we be going for just get in top 4 to get next level you need more skill and forwards be sh*t these year too
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #96: Nov 06, 2018 08:43:20 pm
      Look city midfield mix both skill and power reason win games so easy their able control games, if keep playing like these most season we be lucky fhish in top 4 let be real team play tonight not very good same some teams we playing in premier league poor teams get hard enogh beat them sad fact we are miles behind city
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #97: Nov 06, 2018 09:10:31 pm
      Our midfield lacks creativity. Our midfield is full of workhorses that are better without the ball than with. We need somebody like Ozil, Silva or Coutinho. Somebody that is able to find the attackers easily. I think an attacking midfielder like them isn't even necesarry. A player like Alonso/ Jorginho would be perfect as well. They are able to control the midfield which none of our midfielders can. This is why I was so gutted when the club decided not to sign Fekir. He would've fixed the midfield problem.

I also think this is the reason why our fowards are rarely running behind the defence. Nobody in midfield(bar Keita) is capabel of feeding them and splitting the defence. I find it mad that we've been talking about this problem since Klopp was appointed. You would expect this to be fixed by now.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2018 09:26:56 pm by DutchLiverpoolFan »
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #98: Nov 06, 2018 10:16:20 pm
      We have Shaqiri. Unless JĆ¼rgen tries him for either Milner or Gini and he sucks Liverpool has no excuse. (Keita is still far behind, kind of like Fabinho, needs time.)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #99: Nov 06, 2018 11:48:43 pm
      Certainly if love to seeKeita keep himself fit and make the sort of mark that we were all expecting when he finally joined. Itā€™s a shame he has suffered with injuries. Whilst he isnā€™t a Coutinho type player he has an excellent eye for a pass, has quick feet and will break lines with his ability to run with the ball. In the short-term Iā€™d plug in Shaq and give him a few games to show he belongs there. I still donā€™t think Klopp fully trusts him to do what he wants from s defensive point of view but we do need a big a jump-start to get our attacking footy back on track. Salahā€™s Form is gradually improving which is great news but we need some more contributions from the midfield.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #100: Nov 07, 2018 05:51:54 am
      Look, we have keita, hendo, fabinho, milner, shaqiri, lallana, ox and ginny in midfield. Did i missed out anyone? Pls add. This is overcrowded.

Honestly, how many, or should i ask is anyone of them a world class playmaker?  To me, non of them, at least at the moment. They can't dribble the ball, twist and turn to find the openings and that requires vision. Vision is something that non of them has in a consistent manner while in Shaqiri, i saw a glimpse of it. Every world class club winning the domestic league or european cups have one or two of such players. We have 8 midfieders and we don't even have one. That is what that separates us from being a champion to being an also rans. That's where the problem lies. If i am klopp, i would be pretty worried by now, having 8, ok 2 injured and our midfield still can't function properly. Is his tactics ok?

Missing a playmaker is one thing, but i now have doubts on Klopp's tactics. Torch me or flame me as you wish, its alright to me. is he being overly cautious in his tactics? We're firing all cylinders earlier and lately our attack is deflated. It can't be from a hero to zero situation in such a short period of time. Something has gone very wrong with the tactics.

Ok, i have flamed Gini all these months but what i saw in the Holland vs Germany game, i tend to see situation a bit differently now. In that game, Ginny dribbbled and muscled his way from the start of the 3rd quarter into the oppositiin box and scored a goal. So, i asked myself, if he could do that for Holland why not he do it for LFC? There is only one answer. So, the buck stops with Klopp.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018 08:54:35 pm by redkop63 »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #101: Nov 07, 2018 10:12:05 am
      World class defence now and world class attack but last nights midfield was barely premier league standard.
      The lack of energy going forward and inventiveness was there for all to see. I hoped Lallana could get back to his best form of a few seasons ago but age and injuries have seriously damaged his ability to play at this level.
      I have mentioned Gini playing for Holland going forward like Stevie so he definitely has more to offer given the chance so if Henderson is still out we need to see if Fabhino.Kieta and Gini can work and Fulham is a great opportunity at Anfield to let them loose.
      Roger Red Hat
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #102: Nov 07, 2018 10:27:13 am
      Can't really say how it will set-up because it can change almost at a whim, from game to game.

What I will say is the midfield seem to be the main culprit of our team's performances this season. Results wise you would say it has been pragmatic - and you won't see me complaining if we grind out 1-0 wins away at Huddersfield.

Performances however, have been ebbing towards an Arsenal/Red Star result, and I think the main culprit is midfield and to a lesser extent the attack.

Last season, we still had what Klopp recently described as his "workhorses" in midfield; Coutiniho was almost forgotten about and the team still managed to produce emphatic attacking performances.

The big difference for me is the lack of counter-pressing and I think this is the casual effect between our performances this season compared to last. Of course, this seems purposeful as I suspect Klopp is trying to reserve energy levels so that fitness is perhaps more sustainable and players become less leggy like they did towards the end of last season.

But our counter-pressing was our primary tool of attack, and arguably our most creative force within a midfield not renowned for its 'creativity' - hence we didn't miss Coutinho!  Now that energy levels seem to be reigned in with a less energetic approach the midfield's lack of natural creative ability becomes exposed all of a sudden.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #103: Nov 07, 2018 10:38:05 am
      Can't really say how it will set-up because it can change almost at a whim, from game to game.

What I will say is the midfield seem to be the main culprit of our team's performances this season. Results wise you would say it has been pragmatic - and you won't see me complaining if we grind out 1-0 wins away at Huddersfield.

Performances however, have been ebbing towards an Arsenal/Red Star result, and I think the main culprit is midfield and to a lesser extent the attack.

Last season, we still had what Klopp recently described as his "workhorses" in midfield; Coutiniho was almost forgotten about and the team still managed to produce emphatic attacking performances.

The big difference for me is the lack of counter-pressing and I think this is the casual effect between our performances this season compared to last. Of course, this seems purposeful as I suspect Klopp is trying to reserve energy levels so that fitness is perhaps more sustainable and players become less leggy like they did towards the end of last season.

But our counter-pressing was our primary tool of attack, and arguably our most creative force within a midfield not renowned for its 'creativity' - hence we didn't miss Coutinho!  Now that energy levels seem to be reigned in with a less energetic approach the midfield's lack of natural creative ability becomes exposed all of a sudden.

Excellent first post and I agree, there is something very wrong and we don't seem to press or play with the same intensity any more. Something has gone very wrong tactically in the last few games, even against Huddersfield and Cardiff I thought we were quite flat, despite the flattering scoreline against Cardiff.
      Klopp really needs to address this and inject some energy and passion back into the team, if I was him I'd be going flat out attack against Fulham, play Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Shaq but tell them to press on and support the forwards more, really go for a big score line even if it means we concede a goal.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #104: Nov 07, 2018 11:09:24 am
      How do we improve the midfield...?

1) Play Shaqiri more

2) Do what it takes to bring in  RĆŗben Neves from wolves in the January window... trade them Lallana. Sturrigde, Markovic, Solanke, Grujic , Ings,  Bogdan, Origi and give them Ā£20mil on top if need be. (The creative quality he would bring and the wages it would save "IF" they were to take the deal it would pay for itself) It would not happen that way but you get the point i am trying to me, I hope
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #105: Nov 07, 2018 11:51:02 am
      How do we improve the midfield...?

1) Play Shaqiri more

2) Do what it takes to bring in  RĆŗben Neves from wolves in the January window... trade them Lallana. Sturrigde, Markovic, Solanke, Grujic , Ings,  Bogdan, Origi and give them Ā£20mil on top if need be. (The creative quality he would bring and the wages it would save "IF" they were to take the deal it would pay for itself) It would not happen that way but you get the point i am trying to me, I hope

Bit diffcult to trade Ings & Guijic since they are playing for someone else. Wolves won't accept anyone except Ings and Guijic.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018 11:58:11 am by RobieSlick »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #106: Nov 07, 2018 12:18:22 pm
      Not one tackle won by any of Lallana, Gini or Millie in that first half.

Easy targets for a reason.

Unacceptable.

that is a terrible terrible stat they should be ashamed of themselves. I doubt we will see that midfield trio play together again.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #107: Nov 07, 2018 01:17:17 pm
      Every one of the players last night in the mid held the ball up. None of those guys will push the ball forward at their feet and go one v. one. Lallana used to be capable of it, but his body has let him down and is a shell of himself at this point. I think Kieta could do it, but we havenā€™t seen enough of him at this point to really know.

Shaq has the vision, creativity, and accuracy with his passes to create chances for runners. Is pace isnā€™t Chamberlain-esk though and if Iā€™m honest I think that is what we miss. Ox running forward opened spots on the left and right for Salah and Mane to get free. We need Kieta to push the ball down the middle of the field and have our wingers move into scoring areas.

Iā€™m hoping we spend in January as we are still a few players away from where we want to be
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #108: Nov 07, 2018 01:23:24 pm
      Excellent first post and I agree, there is something very wrong and we don't seem to press or play with the same intensity any more. Something has gone very wrong tactically in the last few games, even against Huddersfield and Cardiff I thought we were quite flat, despite the flattering scoreline against Cardiff.
      Klopp really needs to address this and inject some energy and passion back into the team, if I was him I'd be going flat out attack against Fulham, play Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Shaq but tell them to press on and support the forwards more, really go for a big score line even if it means we concede a goal.

I have thought about this. Is part of our problem that we are just trying to hard to support the back 4? Should we just get back to last years ā€œATTACK ATTACK, ATTACKā€ style and let VVD and Joe sort out the ā€œoh sh*t momentsā€? We paid big money for a keeper and now have Joe to solidify VVD as a top notch last line. F**k it, let the boys be a little more vulnerable and earn their bread, but only if it means that we have the mid 3 attacking and supporting the front 3 more
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #109: Nov 07, 2018 01:39:00 pm
      adam lallana needs be sold give curtis jones chance even come on as sub,
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #110: Nov 07, 2018 01:42:47 pm
      adam lallana needs be sold give curtis jones chance even come on as sub,

Jones did look good pushing forward in preseason. One of our bright spots. I wouldnā€™t mind seeing him in some PL games like Fulham or Newcastle.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #111: Nov 07, 2018 08:59:47 pm
      Outside the box idea...

Were all looking at Shaq as the creative force but how about dropping Bobby or Mane back as the creative plsyer. Mane making funs from deep or carrying ghr bsll at the opposition

Becker
         Clyne/TAa  Joe      VVD   Robbo

Fab/Hendo/Gini
                      Mane                   Keita

Mo          Booby     Shaq
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018 09:07:44 pm by Brian78 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #112: Nov 07, 2018 09:20:34 pm
      Outside the box idea...

Were all looking at Shaq as the creative force but how about dropping Bobby or Mane back as the creative plsyer. Mane making funs from deep or carrying ghr bsll at the opposition

Becker

Fab/Hendo/Gini

Not for me, at the moment Mane is our best striker. Until we buy another forward we have to persist with our current front three. Shaq as midfield is all we need alongside Fabinho and Keita, inject some attack and forward momentum.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #113: Nov 07, 2018 09:27:39 pm
      Outside the box idea...

Becker

Fab/Hendo/Gini

Unfortunately Mane isn't the best passer of the ball
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #114: Nov 07, 2018 09:29:52 pm
      Unfortunately Mane isn't the best passer of the ball

Would be him running at the opposition grom midfield with the ball at pace or off the ball joining the front 3 id be thinking of

Quick Reply