Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Improving Midfield - how will it set up?

Read 28151 times
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Re: Improving Midfield - how will it set up?
      Reply #115: Nov 07, 2018 10:06:44 pm
      January will tell us eventually what Jürgen is really thinking about his midfield. He has some options on paper: Keita, Ox, Shaq, Fekir/Paqueta or leave it with Milner-Gini-Hendo/Fab. So whatever he does will tell us what option he prefers.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #116: Nov 07, 2018 10:07:10 pm
      Not for me, at the moment Mane is our best striker. Until we buy another forward we have to persist with our current front three. Shaq as midfield is all we need alongside Fabinho and Keita, inject some attack and forward momentum.

Funny how we see things differently - I think he’s been horridly self indulgent for a month and he’s the one I’d be dropping.

Love the guy but despite moments in every game I think he’s been poor.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #117: Nov 07, 2018 10:49:18 pm
      Shaq could play that role. He doesn't have the pace of Ox but his trickery and attacking intent could tilt the balance back to us being on the front foot. That's what we need, even if we get beat by City. Get back to swamping teams with waves of attacks. If Klopp keeps swapping Hendo/Keita/Fabinho/Milner/Gini......back and forth..in and out we will splutter and fail to reach the high attacking levels needed to impose ourselves.

We don't want to mess up our great start by not attacking enough. Get Shaq in there, he'll screw up a few times but he goes for it.

I posted this a month ago. Many others said something similar. This isn't squeaky bum time, this is a time to attack. Get Shaq in there against Fulham, get on the front foot and go for it. And it isn't the time to be over tactical. Get back to the basics of pressing and attacking. The midfield is playing on the back foot and will struggle if we don't get back to what we do best...attack with pace.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #118: Nov 07, 2018 10:53:25 pm
      Would be him running at the opposition grom midfield with the ball at pace or off the ball joining the front 3 id be thinking of
      What would you rather see...
      Someone with pace running from deep try to play a pass from someone not so pacey trying and get on to it..?

Or someone not as fast who plays more pin point passes for someone with real pace to get on to it...?

Understand what you are getting at, but I just Believe it would work better with Mane's pace if he was up front and running on to quality passes from Shaqiri
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #119: Nov 07, 2018 11:40:37 pm
      I would play shaqri run in games, he got pace skill do things in midfield long size kieta and fabhino or Henderson even have Curtis Jones on as sub give him game time if win game by few goals boy got skill pace
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #120: Nov 08, 2018 12:24:55 am
      Is our defence looked better than they are because of the midfielders whom are tracking back at the instruction of  klopp to defend deep while isolating  the offensive trio? Well, it appears to be so to me. We are scoring far less and also conceding far less at the moment.  It defies all logic that we are devastating in attack not too long ago and now we struggle to attack properly. So, we have probably played into the opposition hands, we defended deep, the opposition defence pushes up and man mark Salah, Mane and Firminho. Well, that appears to me that is what happening at the moment.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #121: Nov 08, 2018 10:39:41 am
      January will tell us eventually what Jürgen is really thinking about his midfield. He has some options on paper: Keita, Ox, Shaq, Fekir/Paqueta or leave it with Milner-Gini-Hendo/Fab. So whatever he does will tell us what option he prefers.

Mate IMO the way Naby never stay fit and play regularly is the biggest shock effect even on Jürgen. This and put together Fabinho take such a long time to settle make thing even worse for him. I think the way he reluctant to put Shaq into the 10 instead of force Booby to play there and omit Shaq is the worst mistake he did so far.  No not I' know better than Klopp but hopefully he change his mind before it's too late.

Agree with you that I also want to see what Klopp going to do with our midfield in January.  I just fear of Klopp stubbornness and his persistence with players he believe he can improve them, reluctant to get replacement.

BTW how can you imagine we can get that boy Paqueta directly from Brazil, I don't think it's possible.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #122: Nov 08, 2018 04:00:52 pm
      Press reporting that both Chelsea and Bayern are showing interest in Fekir...

Chelsea and Bayern Munich are interested in Lyon's 25-year-old playmaker Nabil Fekir, who has told the French club he wants to leave next summer.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/741131/Chelsea-transfer-news-Nabil-Fekir-pushing-for-summer-move-Blues-to-battle-with-Bayern
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #123: Nov 08, 2018 04:30:10 pm
      Press reporting that both Chelsea and Bayern are showing interest in Fekir...

Chelsea and Bayern Munich are interested in Lyon's 25-year-old playmaker Nabil Fekir, who has told the French club he wants to leave next summer.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/741131/Chelsea-transfer-news-Nabil-Fekir-pushing-for-summer-move-Blues-to-battle-with-Bayern

Old news rehashed...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #124: Nov 08, 2018 06:01:05 pm
      as far as Liverpool is concerned Fekir is fecked.
      We haven't see what his new signings can do yet and I guess it would be a good time for them to show us why we paid good money for them
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #125: Nov 08, 2018 06:27:48 pm
      As much as the midfield does need a shake up the good majority sticking the boot have also given the front three a green pass for their own form which is way below the standards they set last year. The midfield copping the majority of blame for it though.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #126: Nov 08, 2018 11:26:15 pm
      The trouble we have is that our midfield has been a problem for quite some time. The reason we didn't notice it that much is that we were all focused on the ineptitude of Lovren, Moreno and Karius. Now that Klopp has remedied that situation it has highlighted the issue even more.

The loss of Oxlade, the injuries of Keita, Henderson and the slow adaptation of Fabinho have just made a bad situation worse.

At the moment it's like having a golf bag full of 6 irons and nothing else.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #127: Nov 29, 2018 04:18:03 pm
      Posters have mentioned that the trio of Milner, Henderson and  Milner got us to the CL league final last season but seem to have forgotten the contribution of Coutinho, Can and Ox who all contributed with goals.
      How many of the current 3 contributed with goals from open play last season, same story his season

We saw the outcome in the final and maybe its a bit harsh because the likes of Kroos and Modric have run rings around better players than our 3 but if that is what we are aspiring to get to ie eating at the top table not just looking at the menu then the likes of Henderson and Milner need to be relegated to squad player status.
      I mean Milner was at City for so many years and had a bit part yet he is one of our main midfielders, City have gone up a level since Milner left and we are expected to compete against them!

Before posters jump on me Im not saying bin them but they need to be used to plug the gaps during a season.

For what ever reason Klopp doesn't seem to trust Fab and Keita and for me until they start playing regularly (until Ox is back at least) we can forget about competing for any trophies.
      Hopefully he has seen enough and I think he intimated last night at the gaps that were left in midfield in the first half and he will start trusting the new boys more to integrate them quicker.

For me Milner and Henderson just don't have the technique to play in the middle of the pitch esp against teams who press intensely, Milner will drift wide to find space and Henderson will drop deep to find space and time leaving a huge hole in the middle of the pitch which Gini alone can not cover - saw this last night with PSG just poring through onto the back line.

We now have a world class attack , admittedly starved of the ball and a world class defence but the midfield....... can anyone honestly say is anywhere near good enough to win trophies?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #128: Nov 29, 2018 04:22:41 pm
      Sooner or later klopp will have to trust his new signings.

Midfield was a position we went big on in the summer so it's time to see what we've bought.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #129: Nov 29, 2018 04:27:14 pm
      Posters have mentioned that the trio of Milner, Henderson and  Milner got us to the CL league final last season but seem to have forgotten the contribution of Coutinho, Can and Ox who all contributed with goals.
      How many of the current 3 contributed with goals from open play last season, same story his season

We saw the outcome in the final and maybe its a bit harsh because the likes of Kroos and Modric have run rings around better players than our 3 but if that is what we are aspiring to get to ie eating at the top table not just looking at the menu then the likes of Henderson and Milner need to be relegated to squad player status.
      I mean Milner was at City for so many years and had a bit part yet he is one of our main midfielders, City have gone up a level since Milner left and we are expected to compete against them!

Before posters jump on me Im not saying bin them but they need to be used to plug the gaps during a season.

For what ever reason Klopp doesn't seem to trust Fab and Keita and for me until they start playing regularly (until Ox is back at least) we can forget about competing for any trophies.
      Hopefully he has seen enough and I think he intimated last night at the gaps that were left in midfield in the first half and he will start trusting the new boys more to integrate them quicker.

For me Milner and Henderson just don't have the technique to play in the middle of the pitch esp against teams who press intensely, Milner will drift wide to find space and Henderson will drop deep to find space and time leaving a huge hole in the middle of the pitch which Gini alone can not cover - saw this last night with PSG just poring through onto the back line.

We now have a world class attack , admittedly starved of the ball and a world class defence but the midfield....... can anyone honestly say is anywhere near good enough to win trophies?

Last night the front three were given plenty of chances to do something and failed - Remember the three on two with Salah on the ball and it was intercepted, also a number of other times there was a chance to put in a quality delivery and no one could do it

The constant finger pointing at the guys in the middle are allowing the front three a free pass when they are poor , the immediate excuse is they are poor because they don’t get the ball from the middle- sorry but nonsense , they have had plenty of the ball in threatening areas but have on a number of times gone for the wrong option

But the fingers will continue to be pointed at the midfield and the front three given a get out clause
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #130: Nov 29, 2018 04:33:18 pm
      Last night the front three were given plenty of chances to do something and failed - Remember the three on two with Salah on the ball and it was intercepted, also a number of other times there was a chance to put in a quality delivery and no one could do it

The constant finger pointing at the guys in the middle are allowing the front three a free pass when they are poor , the immediate excuse is they are poor because they don’t get the ball from the middle- sorry but nonsense , they have had plenty of the ball in threatening areas but have on a number of times gone for the wrong option

But the fingers will continue to be pointed at the midfield and the front three given a get out clause

No point getting the ball with 2-3 players on your back or with your back to goal from a lofted pass from midfield!

Sorry but eventually the midfield have to contribute you cant keep relying on magic from the front 3 because guess what the opposition have wised up and are doubling up on the front 3 knowing full well the midfield have zero creativity.

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #131: Nov 29, 2018 04:38:16 pm
      Drop hendo . That's the answer
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #132: Nov 29, 2018 04:45:17 pm

Ah then the question must be what’s Molby’s Belly been hopping on all f***in’ day then.....🤔
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #133: Nov 30, 2018 11:39:46 pm
      Not a popular opinion no doubt but personally emre can on a good day is the sort of driving player that would benefit the team now
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #134: Nov 30, 2018 11:47:49 pm
      Not a popular opinion no doubt but personally emre can on a good day is the sort of driving player that would benefit the team now

This is exactly what I hope Keita can give us, and to a lesser extent, Fabinho.

I've seen Henderson do a lot of it when he wasn't playing as 6, but it seems Klopp wants him there, although I can see Fabinho playing 6 (and Wijnaldum) and Henderson playing further up.

When the new lads are settled and Ox is back, I think we have a lot of running options.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #135: Nov 30, 2018 11:51:14 pm

Fair point.  At his best, Emre can have a massive impact on games.  However, his best only came like 1 in 10 games.  Most games he was anonymous at best, or down right abysmal at worst.  We are desperately missing Chamberlain.  Even a pre-injury Lallana (think 15/16) would be a massive improvement.  Keita might develop into a player who can fill this role, but right now our options aren't great.  Which is why we see Klopp tend to default to the boring, occasionally frustrating, yet typically functional trio of Gini, Hendo, and Milner.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #136: Dec 01, 2018 12:43:18 am
      Keita seems like the only possible chance to enhance our midfield. I'd give him every minute from now on to speed up his integration. Gini - Milner- Keita should be alright, later Gini/Fab - Ox - Keita should be even better. A lot depends on the prospect of Ox to get to his old shape. Lallana didn't and Adam didn't have the blow Ox had, so I'm concerned.

Jürgen has to recognize that this team looks better than it is. That's half the work. But if he refuses, this team will fold bigtime very soon. Again, Liverpool's January activity will tell us what Jürgen really thinks about his midfield.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #137: Dec 01, 2018 12:52:36 am
      Keita seems like the only possible chance to enhance our midfield. I'd give him every minute from now on to speed up his integration. Gini - Milner- Keita should be alright, later Gini/Fab - Ox - Keita should be even better. A lot depends on the prospect of Ox to get to his old shape. Lallana didn't and Adam didn't have the blow Ox had, so I'm concerned.

Jürgen has to recognize that this team looks better than it is. That's half the work. But if he refuses, this team will fold bigtime very soon. Again, Liverpool's January activity will tell us what Jürgen really thinks about his midfield.

Stop posting as though you are a supreme authority over Klopp. It's F***ing embarrassing!

Quick Reply