Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Improving Midfield - how will it set up?

Read 28122 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Improving Midfield - how will it set up?
      Reply #184: Dec 02, 2018 02:14:29 pm
      Yep, googled it to confirm my understanding is exactly as I’ve known it to be since university and just be 100% clear that your interpretation wasn’t something I was missing.

The fact you would go and access another forum users search history makes you an absolute creep though.

Don't bite mate, it's what they want.
      There's a little gang of them who all plus each other. Apparently, some came from another forum.
      Little wonder they got fu**ed off from it.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #185: Dec 02, 2018 02:50:49 pm
      Ermmm..Not pace of the game but tactics..we are more defence minded as to full out attack..

Comprende?.
      Then if it is merely down to tactics they should be ready to play now,. unless they are slower to pick up the instructions... 
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #186: Dec 02, 2018 02:54:04 pm
      Yep, googled it to confirm my understanding is exactly as I’ve known it to be since university and just be 100% clear that your interpretation wasn’t something I was missing.

The fact you would go and access another forum users search history makes you an absolute creep though.
      What!!!... Which forum and who's history do you think that i have accessed, and for what reason...?  :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #187: Dec 02, 2018 02:54:34 pm
      Maybe come January when we are still right in the mix Klopp will have several players fresh and ready to take over the fight giving other s good rest . Hopefully Ox will be available at some point in the new year and we will then have 7 or 8  for Jürgen to pick from
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #188: Dec 02, 2018 03:00:35 pm
      Maybe come January when we are still right in the mix Klopp will have several players fresh and ready to take over the fight giving other s good rest . Hopefully Ox will be available at some point in the new year and we will then have 7 or 8  for Jürgen to pick from

I don't know nor understand the reasons Klopp is not playing certain players, I just know the reason that some on this forum are giving for their lack of use just doesn't add up...

I hope what you say is right
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #189: Dec 02, 2018 03:03:18 pm
      Then if it is merely down to tactics they should be ready to play now,. unless they are slower to pick up the instructions... 

Mate I’m done going around in roundabouts with you.. all the best..
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #190: Dec 16, 2018 10:06:13 pm
      Yes totally agree... It's sink or swim time for Fab' and Keita
      Both Keita and Fab' swam like salmon swimming up stream against Utd this evening... But I guess it was from what they learnt from the training field as some here would have you believe.... :f_whistle:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #191: Dec 16, 2018 10:09:02 pm
      Both Keita and Fab swam like salmon swimming up stream against Utd this evening... But I guess it was from what they learnt from the training field.... :f_whistle:

Yes they did well against a midfield that had zero creativity and just was there to try and spoil and protect the back four - it was a good game , Fabinho played well but thought at times Keita was a bit wasteful
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #192: Dec 16, 2018 10:30:03 pm
      really pleased for both Naby and Fab we now have 7 midfield players for 3 positions and hopefully Ox at some point in the New year
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #193: Dec 16, 2018 10:52:19 pm
      Whatever comes or goes Klopp is going to have difficulty leaving Fabinho on the bench. He showed today what a clever player he really is. His passing today was close to having a 6th sense. Even before he was getting the ball he was aware of the front 3's position.

He read Mane's movement for the first, he played in others as if he had been here for years. Positive in all he did, just blended and played the right pass from the off. And this wasn't some easy home banker this was against our greatest rivals. My MOTM, yes Shaq did a brilliant cameo, and in one sense Shaq might've played himself on to the bench.

Keita did very well also, driving runs, fitted in, power, little bit of pace from a standing start. Was telling also that Gini was selected.
      To be honest I was up for Hendo and Shaq with Gini but Fabinho in particular proved me wrong. Not that I think he's not a fit for us.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #194: Dec 16, 2018 10:57:24 pm
      Yes they did well against a midfield that had zero creativity and just was there to try and spoil and protect the back four - it was a good game , Fabinho played well but thought at times Keita was a bit wasteful
      So was both Firmino and Mane, wasteful that is. the fact that thier midfield lacked creativity was not the fault of Keita nor Fab' In fact I would have thought that it was harder to play against midfielders who sat back and protected the back four, find your way pst them and laying on balls for your front men
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #195: Dec 16, 2018 11:00:13 pm
      Keitas running with ball Fab with ball and without = difference to midfield
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #196: Dec 16, 2018 11:05:53 pm
      Keitas running with ball Fab with ball and without = difference to midfield

Wait until we bring Ox in to the mix.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #197: Dec 16, 2018 11:08:45 pm
      UTD's midfield just could not handle our lads today
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #198: Dec 17, 2018 01:09:59 am
      The midfield three, as many expected, doesn't have a nailed on trio. We've got options there with each of them bringing something a bit different to the game.

And it's testament to Klopp's ability as a manager that he invariably finds the right combination for any given game.

Admittedly I was surprised he went for the English pairing of Henderson and Milner against Napoli and the foreign pairing of Fabinho and Keita for the United game. I would of expected it to be the other way round, with Hendo and Milly understanding and knowing what the United game meant a bit more than two lads who've only been at the club for six months. And would of expected Fabinho and Keita to be more at home in a European game than a Premier League one. But we dominated both games so it's safe to say Klopp got it right - again.

And what is also apparent is that we're able to change our formation quite easily now, which is again something a lot of people on here thought would be the case. Given the options we've got, we can alter the structure of the three in the middle a lot more than we've been able to do over recent years.

I think a remix of "We've Got The Best Midfield In The World" is on the cards!

"We've got the best midfield in the world.
      We've got Hendo and Milly
      Keita and Gini
      Fabulous Fab
      Shaqiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iii"
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #199: Feb 11, 2019 01:49:06 pm
      UTD's midfield just could not handle our lads today

The same midfield trio that started vs Bournemouth home and away and totalling a 10-1 scoreline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMBGuwMdhg0
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #200: Mar 08, 2019 09:18:36 am
      A lot of concerns are being raised of late on the lack of creativity in midfield, with some fans stating the combinations in midfield that are being selected are very negative and stifling are ability to create chances and as a result, get the goals that win games. Here's my take on it:

A manager's system is typically built from attacking intent, defensive intent and formation. As we know, Klopp's core concept is 'gegenpressing' which means that his teams are set out to apply pressure. One of the main advantages to this is that you don't require every player in the team to have huge amounts of technical ability. The concept demands more physical ability; you need to be strong and agile with lots of stamina and endurance. To use an example, a player like Milner, without being disrespectful, who is not the most technically gifted, looks incredible in Klopp's system as he has all the attributes required.

The system relies on taking the ball of the opposition in key areas and quickly getting behind them to create chances. The downside to the system is that if you are playing against an opposition who consolidates or fortifies and their emphasis isn't on having any of the ball or making attacks, you have a problem if you don't have the capabilities for creativity in midfield. It's at this point that the system will not be as effective and then requires the forwards to create their own chances to score. This is the case at the moment for Liverpool in certain games, we have very little technical and creative ability in midfield which is the reason we have seen 0-0 a lot lately, which highlights that our midfield is doing a great job protecting our back four but struggles to open the door for our forwards at the other end.

If we look at Dortmund's side under Klopp, in an attacking midfield role, they had Reus, Kagawa and Mkhitaryan. These players are wonderful technicians and played in front of two midfielders who would break up play (let's say Bender and Gundogan for example). At Liverpool, since Coutinho departed, we don't have that player with bags of creativeness (although we are hoping Keita will be that player) and as a result of this, we play with a combination of 3 players who are fantastic in Klopp's pressure system but lack the attacking talents of the aforementioned players, this is the root of some of the problems we are having in my opinion.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #201: Mar 08, 2019 05:23:40 pm

If we look at Dortmund's side under Klopp, in an attacking midfield role, they had Reus, Kagawa and Mkhitaryan. These players are wonderful technicians and played in front of two midfielders who would break up play (let's say Bender and Gundogan for example). At Liverpool, since Coutinho departed, we don't have that player with bags of creativeness (although we are hoping Keita will be that player) and as a result of this, we play with a combination of 3 players who are fantastic in Klopp's pressure system but lack the attacking talents of the aforementioned players, this is the root of some of the problems we are having in my opinion.

Remember the 2016/2017 season? we were unbeaten against the other top 6 teams (i think we went 5W-5D-0L) but really struggled to get past the lesser teams and either draw or lost to all of Burnley, Southampton (x2), Bournemouth (x2), West Ham, Sunderland, Swansea, Hull, Leicester, Palace. Was Countinho not on the team then?

Remember the first half of 2017/2018 season? We drew to Watford, Burnley, Newcastle, Everton and West Brom before the end of the calendar year. Was Coutinho not on the team then?

This idea that not replacing Coutinho is the "root" of the problem is a bunch of overblown garbage. We'll probably start hearing again soon how we miss Buvac.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #202: Mar 08, 2019 05:30:03 pm
      We'll probably start hearing again soon how we miss Buvac.

And Karius

LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #203: Mar 08, 2019 05:31:57 pm
      Remember the 2016/2017 season? we were unbeaten against the other top 6 teams (i think we went 5W-5D-0L) but really struggled to get past the lesser teams and either draw or lost to all of Burnley, Southampton (x2), Bournemouth (x2), West Ham, Sunderland, Swansea, Hull, Leicester, Palace. Was Countinho not on the team then?

Remember the first half of 2017/2018 season? We drew to Watford, Burnley, Newcastle, Everton and West Brom before the end of the calendar year. Was Coutinho not on the team then?

This idea that not replacing Coutinho is the "root" of the problem is a bunch of overblown garbage. We'll probably start hearing again soon how we miss Buvac.

I feel like you’ve completely missed my point. I was referring to Coutinho as our last real talented creative midfielder that can unlock defenses. Bit bizarre that you have picked out a small reference and nailed in on it.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #204: Mar 08, 2019 05:45:04 pm
      I feel like you’ve completely missed my point. I was referring to Coutinho as our last real talented creative midfielder that can unlock defenses. Bit bizarre that you have picked out a small reference and nailed in on it.

Don't think i have. You stated since Coutinho left that we don't have a creative player and have to play 3 midfielders with less attacking abilities and concluding this is as the root of some of the problems we are having. Considering our results in the 2016/2017 + first half of 2017/2018, when we had this creative phenom, tells me this conclusion is massively overblown and overrated.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #205: Mar 08, 2019 05:54:30 pm
      Don't think i have. You stated since Coutinho left that we don't have a creative player and have to play 3 midfielders with less attacking abilities and concluding this is as the root of some of the problems we are having. Considering our results in the 2016/2017 + first half of 2017/2018, when we had this creative phenom, tells me this conclusion is massively overblown and overrated.

You don't think a play of his type added to the improved goalkeeper and defence this season  wouldn't be a big factor
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #206: Mar 08, 2019 05:59:08 pm

Ok, you’re entitled to an opinion as am I. My observation is that when we play Milner, Hendo, Fab or Gini in the middle, none of them are capable to cut through teams with a killer pass on a regular occasion. I feel like you have underlying hatred towards Coutinho hence this response but we don’t have a player in the middle to create regularly enough at this moment in time.

Quick Reply