Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Premier League 2018/19

Read 164527 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Premier League 2018/19
      Reply #1334: Jan 13, 2019 07:04:03 pm
      It’s much better for us that the Mancs won, would have rather a draw though. United on another day would have lost that by 4,5,6 goals, Spurs seemed intent on aiming for the middle of the goal.
      But Spurs falling 9 behind is great for us. Think the last time they fell 9 behind City also lost at home that weekend didn’t they? Come on Wolves!!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1335: Jan 13, 2019 07:12:29 pm
      6 wins in a row?
      It's not luck, he's actually a good manager.

He was/is the manager of my team in Norway, Molde, and he really isn't that good, not terrible but no genius either.
      It was a good win today but on any other day Spurs would have won that match, they were by some distance the better team, especially second half. De Gea winning  valuable points for Manure again.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1336: Jan 13, 2019 08:34:06 pm
      He's done nothing to prove himself as a manager before he came to Old Trafford. I really don't know what to think about it anymore as very confused.  :f_doh:

I don't think United at this moment need someone like Conte to fill their heads with 3-4-3s 5-3-2s and the finer details of coaching. These lads just want to be allowed for the most part to play.

He's taken away the giants of Fellaini and Lukaku and the slow build up players like Mata.

He's got you set up to counter and to do it at speed. An early Klopp/ prime Rodgers set up really.

If Solschaer gets the job full time he will have to develop that side of his management (I'm sure he knows a bit about the game) or the early bounce will revert to the mean.

For now though if you choose the right 11  you will cause teams problems with the fast direct players and be too powerful for the all so rans in the league.

It's hard to beat a team of players with them price tags if they go at you. Today you were lucky, but again you have one of the best keepers in the world on your books. You don't have to be a tactical mastermind to win games with these players. The main battle is to get them to want to play for you.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1337: Jan 13, 2019 08:59:56 pm
      No doubt that the difference since Mourinho left is not the Manager, but the players. They got Mourinho sacked on purpose. Now they are playing with intent. 

Think that's going VERY light on Maureen.
      What he was doing - dropping big players, playing formations would describe as *functional* [at best], playing crap defensive/cautious football, constantly rotating players, criticising players in public [Shaw, Pogba, Rashford and others], as well as general comments that his players weren't good enough, the constant F***ing moaning - I reckon he wanted to be fired by the end.

With the players they have, they should've been doing better. Sure the players weren't doing as well as they could under him, but that works both ways - as manager he was getting nowhere near enough out of them, think he had run out of ideas, and at the end didn't seem to give a sh*t either way.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,880 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1338: Jan 13, 2019 09:00:23 pm
      I don't think United at this moment need someone like Conte to fill their heads with 3-4-3s 5-3-2s and the finer details of coaching. These lads just want to be allowed for the most part to play.

He's taken away the giants of Fellaini and Lukaku and the slow build up players like Mata.

He's got you set up to counter and to do it at speed. An early Klopp/ prime Rodgers set up really.

If Solschaer gets the job full time he will have to develop that side of his management (I'm sure he knows a bit about the game) or the early bounce will revert to the mean.

For now though if you choose the right 11  you will cause teams problems with the fast direct players and be too powerful for the all so rans in the league.

It's hard to beat a team of players with them price tags if they go at you. Today you were lucky, but again you have one of the best keepers in the world on your books. You don't have to be a tactical mastermind to win games with these players. The main battle is to get them to want to play for you.

Conte not on my radar for the very reasons you highlight.

Can Ole be tactical at the back?? This is where I have doubts, time will tell I suppose but being honest would still take Poch. There's absolute no doubt he has them playing again but at the back of my mind I'm thinking when does the bubble burst with the current side?? We're still miles of competing with you lads and city.

De Gea not had the greatest of starts  but proved today why he's still the best goalkeeper in the world.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1339: Jan 13, 2019 10:39:29 pm
      Lloris position for rashfords goal  :o
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1340: Jan 13, 2019 11:33:22 pm

But he’s a world cup winner!  :lmao:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1341: Jan 13, 2019 11:39:33 pm
      As I see it, they've played a decent team once. Today. No doubt a very big win, but with De Gea setting a new record today, it seems very much like.. they were lucky.

Luck is great when in your favour.. but one cannot rely on luck. One day, luck will end.

No doubt that the difference since Mourinho left is not the Manager, but the players. They got Mourinho sacked on purpose. Now they are playing with intent.

Will that be enough? Ultimately, no.

Don't be ridiculous Maureen was at least 70% of the reason United were sh*t this season before he got the sack. He's a dinosaur now, lost his passion and technical nous, and took the frustrations of his failing managerial skills out on his own players.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #1342: Jan 13, 2019 11:43:20 pm
      Don't be ridiculous Maureen was at least 70% of the reason United were sh*t this season before he got the sack. He's a dinosaur now, lost his passion and technical nous, and took the frustrations of his failing managerial skills out on his own players.

Not ridiculous at all. I'm simply correct.

What technical nous does Ole have? It's not about that. The players want to play, score goals, and win games. That's the diffefence, and Ole is simply the beneficiary of that. Any incoming Manager would have been.

Yes, Mourinho is partly to blame with the infighting and negative tactics. But the players forced him out themselves by purposefully under performing. Now they've come out fighting.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1343: Jan 13, 2019 11:55:38 pm

Haven’t seen the goal but I’m guessing it wasn’t good for Lloris?
      He’s got to be one of the most overrated keepers in the league, no idea how he’s rated so highly! His kicking is sh*t and often puts his team in trouble, he makes too many blunders, his positioning isn’t great and is just a glorified Migs and Pickford. IMO.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #1344: Jan 14, 2019 02:20:59 am
      Just watched the highlights of that incredible performance by De Gea.. meh. So over exaggerated.

I was expecting something special, but other than a couple of decent stops, the rest are simple, normal, 'pick the ball up' saves. Lloris actually put in a better performance - other than that easy Rashford effort he took an age to get down for. He made some better and bigger saves than De Gea.  :f_doh:

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2019 02:28:43 am by DanMann »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1345: Jan 14, 2019 04:28:23 pm
      Not ridiculous at all. I'm simply correct.

What technical nous does Ole have? It's not about that. The players want to play, score goals, and win games. That's the diffefence, and Ole is simply the beneficiary of that. Any incoming Manager would have been.

Yes, Mourinho is partly to blame with the infighting and negative tactics. But the players forced him out themselves by purposefully under performing. Now they've come out fighting.

Ole has enough technical nous to know to play his players to their strengths and in their best positions. Something which Mourinho was unwilling to do as he was too stubborn to change his outdated overly defensive minded tactics. He was playing his best striker Rashford on the wing, and his best AM Pogba as a defensive midfielder.

So it was Mourinho's fault he couldn't get the best out of his players due to poor tactics and formations.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1346: Jan 14, 2019 06:18:19 pm
      Sad and surprised to see Wagner leave his job as Huddersfield boss. Turned a club fit for League 1 into a Premier League outfit in such a short space of time. A remarkable job he has done there. For sure they lack the quality to compete this season and it looks doubtful as to whether they'll remain here but I had no doubt that he could launch another shot for a place in the top league.

A fine manager and one who won't be short of some quality job offers. Sad for Huddersfield as well - they've been a joy to have in the top league and there place in it was entirely fitting given their historical stature and some of the grand names that have passed through that town.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #1347: Jan 14, 2019 06:22:02 pm
      Could he join Liverpool as Klopp's right hand?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1348: Jan 14, 2019 06:24:49 pm

He'll get offers for much bigger jobs than the one he's just left so I doubt it.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1349: Jan 14, 2019 06:32:58 pm
      The Arsenal that we are seeing now is what I thought they would be, it is going to be a tough transition after 20 years of Wenger and the squad Unai was left with though have some individual talent but there is fair amount of dead weights that has to be moved.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1350: Jan 14, 2019 07:12:33 pm
      Come on Wolves.. let’s have a win or draw..
      Kopite78
      Reply #1351: Jan 14, 2019 07:32:19 pm

1. Why would He? He's a manager not an assistant

2. Klopp has his backroom staff in place
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #1352: Jan 14, 2019 07:50:51 pm
      Anyone watching Monday night footy? Yaya Toure might be the worst guest ever. Basically has nothing to say and when he says you can barely understand him
      Redangel

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #1353: Jan 14, 2019 08:08:39 pm
      Sad and surprised to see Wagner leave his job as Huddersfield boss. Turned a club fit for League 1 into a Premier League outfit in such a short space of time. A remarkable job he has done there. For sure they lack the quality to compete this season and it looks doubtful as to whether they'll remain here but I had no doubt that he could launch another shot for a place in the top league.

A fine manager and one who won't be short of some quality job offers. Sad for Huddersfield as well - they've been a joy to have in the top league and there place in it was entirely fitting given their historical stature and some of the grand names that have passed through that town.

Just been reading some of the posts on a Huddersfield Town forum, it literally brought tears to my eyes! They are truly grateful for all he’s done for them and wish him all the best for the future. So refreshing to see fans who appreciate what a manager has done for them, rather than moan and groan!
      I hope to see him at Anfield in the near future, not as an assistant or anything, just enjoying a game and supporting his best mate!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #1354: Jan 14, 2019 08:16:00 pm
      Wolves were never ever going to get anything away from home
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #1355: Jan 14, 2019 08:22:25 pm
      Well that’s that then.