Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Nathaniel Phillips Player Thread (D)

Read 34638 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Re: Nat Phillips Player Thread
      Reply #46: Nov 28, 2020 06:05:11 pm
      Another solid performance. Well in lad!
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #47: Dec 09, 2020 06:35:16 pm
      He could really step up with van dijk and gomez and his performance recently does prove he can be a possible fourth-choice centre back option
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #48: Dec 28, 2020 01:07:30 pm
      Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips have both done pretty well filling in for us so far, but Nat has impressed me more of the 2. I thought Rhys might have the edge on him in terms of pace, but it looks like that is not the case, so it would be Phillips for me for the Newcastle game (especially as we are really short on the aerial side of the game now).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #49: Dec 31, 2020 12:30:43 pm
      Watching the highlights and seeing his yellow card from yesterday, my mind immediately went to this from American football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMVuOslebI

Just to add I thought he performed pretty well. Got turned in the first half and then the foul in the 2nd, but overall was a decent stand-in.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #50: Dec 31, 2020 05:01:00 pm
      For being the 6th option in the depth chart he is doing better than you would expect. He's not the problem, it's the horseshit luck we've had with CB injuries this year.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #51: Dec 31, 2020 07:21:33 pm
      That's the most nervous I've seen him so far, but I still thought he did ok. Williams looks a bit better in possession, but Phillips looks more solid (and a bit quicker as well - Wilson didn't run away from him that one time he got past him, Phillips just made the mistake of trying to ease him off the ball instead of just staying goal side). So I'd stick with Phillips, especially with us missing a Virgil sized aerial presence.
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #52: Jan 01, 2021 05:36:24 pm
      That's the most nervous I've seen him so far, but I still thought he did ok. Williams looks a bit better in possession, but Phillips looks more solid (and a bit quicker as well - Wilson didn't run away from him that one time he got past him, Phillips just made the mistake of trying to ease him off the ball instead of just staying goal side). So I'd stick with Phillips, especially with us missing a Virgil sized aerial presence.
      exactly, obv cant expect him to be the level of our other options at centre-back, but he did the job
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #53: Jan 28, 2021 10:13:15 pm
      I like this lad, not saying hes the answer, but I F***ing like this lad, took son nice and clean while playing the ball, well in lad
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #54: Jan 28, 2021 10:27:58 pm
      Do myself bri,to all intents & purposes  the lad had his kit packed & was out the door
      but he got a second chance & the very few starts he’s had for us the lad has done very well & I personally think he should start ahead of Rhys Williams because I think he’s got a bit more about him & he can certainly head a ball.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #55: Jan 28, 2021 10:31:00 pm
      Do myself bri,to all intents & purposes  the lad had his kit packed & was out the door
      but he got a second chance & the very few starts he’s had for us the lad has done very well & I personally think he should start ahead of Rhys Williams because I think he’s got a bit more about him & he can certainly head a ball.

Think hes one of those that looks like hell be sh*te but he has not done a thing wrong
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #56: Jan 28, 2021 11:07:15 pm
      Hes a big league 1 type centre half but I'd rather that right now than a bloody 19 year old who hasn't physically developed.

Nat can do a job against West Ham on Saturday.

Boy do we need to stop pissing about though and buy a defender.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #57: Jan 29, 2021 12:52:11 am
      He needs to play against West Ham. It suits his game perfectly!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: Jan 29, 2021 03:02:26 pm
      He needs to play against West Ham. It suits his game perfectly!
      There might literally be no choice.  :)

He plays with heart, a very good quality. But you almost have to forget playing out of the back if he's on. And then there's the issue of pace....as in, he hasn't got any.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #59: Jan 29, 2021 03:40:03 pm
      He's better than undeveloped Williams.

He's old school not ball-playing defender as new style of modern football.

Play him next Sunday. Come on Nat. He's strong and no non-sense defender.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Jan 29, 2021 04:05:38 pm
      Must be tough to see Hendo/Fab coming in ahead of him, knowing they will be missed in the middle, and all the talk that he and Rhys aren't good enough.
      But came on for a half last nite and didn't let us down - and don't think he has any time he's come in.
      Just needs to make sure doesn't dawdle with ball at feet, and will win his fair share of physical battles and balls in the air.
      Not a long term CB, and he knows it himself, all the more reason to give credit where its due to Nat for efforts so far.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #61: Jan 29, 2021 11:03:21 pm
      There might literally be no choice.  :)

He plays with heart, a very good quality. But you almost have to forget playing out of the back if he's on. And then there's the issue of pace....as in, he hasn't got any.

mmm afoot race between Rhys and Nat...I reckon I can beat them both and I'm 49  :lmao: :lmao:
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #62: Jan 30, 2021 04:35:20 am
      Must be tough to see Hendo/Fab coming in ahead of him, knowing they will be missed in the middle, and all the talk that he and Rhys aren't good enough.
      But came on for a half last nite and didn't let us down - and don't think he has any time he's come in.
      Just needs to make sure doesn't dawdle with ball at feet, and will win his fair share of physical battles and balls in the air.
      Not a long term CB, and he knows it himself, all the more reason to give credit where its due to Nat for efforts so far.

He seems to step up every time he plays. Been damn good in his appearances imo. I assume he doesn't look as good in practice as the other guys, but he seems to rise to the occasion on the pitch when it matters most
      Start him against the hammers.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #63: Jan 30, 2021 06:02:15 am
      He seems to step up every time he plays. Been damn good in his appearances imo. I assume he doesn't look as good in practice as the other guys, but he seems to rise to the occasion on the pitch when it matters most
      Start him against the hammers.

He doesn’t practice lad he trains. Gridiron players practice.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #64: Jan 30, 2021 09:42:58 am
      He doesn’t practice lad he trains. Gridiron players practice.

And ballet dancers
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #65: Jan 30, 2021 10:13:57 am
      With Fab and Matip out Phillips would be my preference in defence, he is clearly more physical than Williams as he’s that much older.

Just make sure we don’t play a high line, midfield set up proper to cover his side and don’t expect much ball playing from him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #66: Jan 30, 2021 10:23:33 am
      Will most defo start with Hendo at the back v west ham.

No choice, but id rather just stick with Philips anyway for now until Fab is fit at least or we do get this fabled new CB. ;D
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #67: Jan 30, 2021 10:55:42 am
      I assume he doesn't look as good in practice as the other guys

Jürgen must have his concerns given he was starting Rhys ahead of him for a while there.
      Now it seems maybe Nat is ahead in the pecking order.
      Will see who starts against WH.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #68: Jan 30, 2021 11:00:45 am
      Will most defo start with Hendo at the back v west ham.

No choice, but id rather just stick with Philips anyway for now until Fab is fit at least or we do get this fabled new CB. ;D

I agree, his passing ain’t great but he does feel all action with his headers and tackles

Quick Reply