Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Nathaniel Phillips Player Thread (D)

Read 35290 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Nat Phillips Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jan 30, 2021 11:01:22 am
      Jürgen must have his concerns given he was starting Rhys ahead of him for a while there.
      Now it seems maybe Nat is ahead in the pecking order.
      Will see who starts against WH.

In hindsight, has the gametime give to Rhys over Nat prevented  Nats game improving?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #70: Jan 30, 2021 11:41:26 am
      Surely he plays v west ham?

Was it them he made his prem debut against? Can't remember now but the team was  long ball team who after half an hour started targeting our other cebtre half instead.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      Reply #71: Jan 30, 2021 11:43:59 am
      Hell play, no choice..Hell be fine to
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #72: Jan 30, 2021 11:54:10 am
      I think they (staff) see Williams as a better player long term, but his lack of experience has shown up more than Natt IMO.

so now Natt ahead, for now anyway. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #73: Jan 30, 2021 11:55:56 am
      I agree, his passing ain’t great but he does feel all action with his headers and tackles

Hes just a better more experienced CB, maybe not as cultured so to speak. so as you say, lose a bit of the passing game. but if FAB or Hendo are playing next to him, they can generally cover the silky stuff.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #74: Jan 30, 2021 12:01:50 pm
      He’s not Liverpool level, but he’s a no messing around defender, you can tell his only thought is to get to that ball, get his head on it and away from goal, he’ll still make mistakes, this is the elite level, but that’s not his fault, and it’s not Rhys fault he looks like he’s been thrown in the deep end, because he has.

I’d start Nat out the two any day, especially against a team that will use set pieces to get something.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #75: Jan 31, 2021 06:23:06 pm
      Done well the lad. First and foremost he is a solid no thrills defender and that is a base to start from. Surely he is first change from now on if we dont sign a CB.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      Reply #76: Jan 31, 2021 06:26:56 pm
      Not a foot wrong again. Hes standing up to be counted
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #77: Jan 31, 2021 06:29:49 pm
      Well in Nat, a better player than I have given you credit for.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #78: Jan 31, 2021 06:31:34 pm
      Love the guy. Doesn't try anything fancy that gets him in trouble and just keeps it simple and steady.

RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 38 
      Reply #79: Jan 31, 2021 07:29:18 pm
      Solid today.

Well done Nat. Keep it up!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #80: Jan 31, 2021 09:24:32 pm
      Played a really good game. Where some players are limited by their ability to read the game, I think his only limitation is his skill. He’s no Virgil or Joe skill wise but he knows where and what he’s supposed to do. He just doesn’t always have the skill to pull it off. Thought he had one of his better games. Well done.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #81: Jan 31, 2021 10:00:07 pm
      Played a really good game. Where some players are limited by their ability to read the game, I think his only limitation is his skill. He’s no Virgil or Joe skill wise but he knows where and what he’s supposed to do. He just doesn’t always have the skill to pull it off. Thought he had one of his better games. Well done.

Compared to Rhys the other week what I noticed was how he stood up and jockeyed players much better.

I think he's done a good job every time he's played.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #82: Jan 31, 2021 10:02:53 pm

Correct. He simply doesn't have the skill to run the ball up field and dribble past midfielders like Matip, or make the long pass like Virgil, but the good thing is he realizes that so doesn't try to do things that get him in trouble. See ball, clear ball. That's his game and he has done it well whenever he's played.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #83: Jan 31, 2021 10:17:43 pm
      Done well last couple of games.

The difference in age between Rhys and him shows. Nat seems to know his body, knows his limitations a lot better and therefore just sticks to what he's good at. He's dominant in the air and not afraid to put his foot in. Yep he's weak on the ball but as long as the players around him know that and adjust accordingly then we can deal with that.

Not sure he's the man for a game such as City but he's got to be the man alongside a Fab/Hendo for games like the one today. Been solid enough to deserve it.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #84: Jan 31, 2021 10:19:48 pm
      Correct. He simply doesn't have the skill to run the ball up field and dribble past midfielders like Matip, or make the long pass like Virgil, but the good thing is he realizes that so doesn't try to do things that get him in trouble. See ball, clear ball. That's his game and he has done it well whenever he's played.

Hes played HIS game each time he's gotten a run, and in my opinion, hasn't really put a foot wrong. Not a bad 4th choice CB who can contribute to this team going forward
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #85: Jan 31, 2021 10:35:06 pm
      Good solid performance think he should be way ahead of Williams.  Rhys is not ready last game he made Rashford look like Thiery Henry the kid might make it but at this moment of time he's isn't nearly ready.   This kid deserves opportunities this season as like most have said he hasn't hardly put a foot wrong in the games he has had and they have been spaced out. So it's not like he has built form.  He is just more ready for this level.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #86: Jan 31, 2021 10:36:34 pm
      Done well last couple of games.

The difference in age between Rhys and him shows. Nat seems to know his body, knows his limitations a lot better and therefore just sticks to what he's good at. He's dominant in the air and not afraid to put his foot in. Yep he's weak on the ball but as long as the players around him know that and adjust accordingly then we can deal with that.

Not sure he's the man for a game such as City but he's got to be the man alongside a Fab/Hendo for games like the one today. Been solid enough to deserve it.

Im hoping Fab and Matip will be lining up against City.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #87: Feb 01, 2021 04:13:42 am
      Well done Nat

This game suited you perfectly and you didn't put a foot wrong.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #88: Feb 01, 2021 04:57:27 am
      Good solid performance think he should be way ahead of Williams.  Rhys is not ready last game he made Rashford look like Thiery Henry the kid might make it but at this moment of time he's isn't nearly ready.   This kid deserves opportunities this season as like most have said he hasn't hardly put a foot wrong in the games he has had and they have been spaced out. So it's not like he has built form.  He is just more ready for this level.

I'm wondering what the EPL and Euro registrations are going to be after tomorrow, including allowances for the new boy and Nat. Also wondering if we will see any of Virgil, Joe or Joel this season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #89: Feb 01, 2021 09:36:50 am
      Well done Nat

This game suited you perfectly and you didn't put a foot wrong.

Too be fair Ian every time he's played he's been pretty solid. With all the current injuries I think I'd play him more often based on what I've seen...... Hang on a min.,  :roll: I take that back. Nearly forgot I'm a manc.  :lmao: He's sh*te  :f_whistle:
      BenBrownLFC
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #90: Feb 01, 2021 11:51:24 am
      Brilliant performance again from Nat. Absolute Rock at the back just like he was in the home fixture earlier this season. YNWA
      BenBrownLFC
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #91: Feb 01, 2021 11:55:04 am
      Hes played HIS game each time he's gotten a run, and in my opinion, hasn't really put a foot wrong. Not a bad 4th choice CB who can contribute to this team going forward
      I think he does have the ability to play that pass and I think he is a brilliant centre back but with cover maybe coming in will he want to stay.

Quick Reply