Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Season Aspirations

Title Tilt
      6 (37.5%)
      Trophy Win
      3 (18.8%)
      CL Secured
      2 (12.5%)
      Winning The Lot
      5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: Aug 11, 2018 11:20:10 am

The Title - Win, Challenge Or Never Stand A Chance After September?

Read 9063 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      The Title - Win, Challenge Or Never Stand A Chance After September?
      Aug 09, 2018 02:15:36 pm
      Managers need to be given time - well Jürgen is the fifth longest serving Premier League manager at the minute, which shows just how sh*t football has become given he hasn't even been here three years yet. And he's the second longest serving of any of last year's top six.

You need to spend money to compete - well this summer we've spent a F***ing fortune, which again shows just how sh*t football has become given the amounts being splashed out on players nowadays. Some will argue we're still a long way behind the other clubs in terms of spending because they've done it for the past decade or so, others will argue that it's all "net" spend but the truth is we've spent a sh*t load of bread over the past six months.

You can't go from seventh to League winners - well this is our third consecutive year in amongst Europe's elite, a nod in the direction of Jürgen for achieving qualification to the following year's Champions League in both of his full seasons in charge. Again others will moan about the fact that other teams have been in there for years on end to justify us not winning the League.

We need a bigger ground to compete - well we're now racking in well over 50,000 on any given match day which is still considerably less than United's 75,000 or Arsenal's nearly 60,000 (though look where they are). Has an extra ten thousand fans a week made that big a difference to the club's on-field "success"?

So with all the old excuses being thrown out the window as of late, where do you see our Premier League form going? Are we actually going to get the monkey off our back and claim that elusive 19th title? Are we only ready for a sustained title challenge and preferably not one that fizzles out by mid-April? Or are we going to revert back to type and after a lot of hype in the summer just end up playing catch up from mid-September onwards and never really looking like challengers but tapping ourselves on the back for another hugely successful season because we've pipped Chelsea to fourth?

Unusually for me I'm going to say we'll win the League. I know that will surprise some as I never have that kind of faith in my club but this year is different. Who the F**k am I kidding, I say it every year and this is no different. We're Liverpool Football Club for fucks sake, the biggest club in the world. And we should be winning trophies each and every year. After seeing how well this group of players can play at times last year, I think with the additions we've made in the right areas for once, we're very suited to go and bring the Title home.

It's been a long time coming but 2018/19 is going to be our year!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: The Title - Win, Challenge Or Never Stand A Chance After September?
      Reply #1: Aug 09, 2018 03:09:20 pm
      Managers need to be given time - well Jürgen is the fifth longest serving Premier League manager at the minute, which shows just how sh*t football has become given he hasn't even been here three years yet. And he's the second longest serving of any of last year's top six.

You need to spend money to compete - well this summer we've spent a f**king fortune, which again shows just how sh*t football has become given the amounts being splashed out on players nowadays. Some will argue we're still a long way behind the other clubs in terms of spending because they've done it for the past decade or so, others will argue that it's all "net" spend but the truth is we've spent a sh*t load of bread over the past six months.

You can't go from seventh to League winners - well this is our third consecutive year in amongst Europe's elite, a nod in the direction of Jürgen for achieving qualification to the following year's Champions League in both of his full seasons in charge. Again others will moan about the fact that other teams have been in there for years on end to justify us not winning the League.

We need a bigger ground to compete - well we're now racking in well over 50,000 on any given match day which is still considerably less than United's 75,000 or Arsenal's nearly 60,000 (though look where they are). Has an extra ten thousand fans a week made that big a difference to the club's on-field "success"?

So with all the old excuses being thrown out the window as of late, where do you see our Premier League form going? Are we actually going to get the monkey off our back and claim that elusive 19th title? Are we only ready for a sustained title challenge and preferably not one that fizzles out by mid-April? Or are we going to revert back to type and after a lot of hype in the summer just end up playing catch up from mid-September onwards and never really looking like challengers but tapping ourselves on the back for another hugely successful season because we've pipped Chelsea to fourth?

Unusually for me I'm going to say we'll win the League. I know that will surprise some as I never have that kind of faith in my club but this year is different. Who the f**k am I kidding, I say it every year and this is no different. We're Liverpool Football Club for fucks sake, the biggest club in the world. And we should be winning trophies each and every year. After seeing how well this group of players can play at times last year, I think with the additions we've made in the right areas for once, we're very suited to go and bring the Title home.

I genuinely think that if we can keep the bulk of our squad fit, and rely on Sturridge for a reasonable number of games then we can win the league. I have a feeling that Citeh will not find it quite so easy this time around, we showed the others how to beat them and they definitely slowed down a bit towards the end of last season.
      I think it will be between us and Citeh though as I can't see the other teams mounting much of a challenge, Chelsea seem to be in disarray, as are the Munts and Arsenal I think will take some time to get out of their Wenger funk. Spurs could challenge but they haven't strengthened and that will ultimately bite them in the ass again.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,971 posts | 1356 
      Reply #2: Aug 09, 2018 10:04:51 pm
      I genuinely think that if we can keep the bulk of our squad fit, and rely on Sturridge for a reasonable number of games then we can win the league. I have a feeling that Citeh will not find it quite so easy this time around, we showed the others how to beat them and they definitely slowed down a bit towards the end of last season.
      I think it will be between us and Citeh though as I can't see the other teams mounting much of a challenge, Chelsea seem to be in disarray, as are the Munts and Arsenal I think will take some time to get out of their Wenger funk. Spurs could challenge but they haven't strengthened and that will ultimately bite them in the ass again.

Sturridge staying wasn't on the cards after he was loaned out last season but he's had a good pre-season. Got himself fit and if he stays fit he can compete for a place. But it was our inability to finish games off that cost us. City only failed to win 6 games last season. We failed to win in 17 of our games. That's huge gap - 25 points in total and Pep is not likely to suddenly accept lower standards, so we have it all to do. We have to at least stay with them. Nothing is guaranteed obviously.

We can do it, we can win this league. Looks like we will hit the ground running, anything is possible.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Aug 09, 2018 10:10:27 pm
      To turnover a 25 point gap we need

City to be not as good as last year

our front 3 to stay fit and repeat last season

Lallana fit for majority

Sturridge fit for majority.

Will we get that perfect storm?? If yes fhen the title is on.If not I think were another season away.

On a  sidenote this could be a very different season. Several clubs doing some great business might see the big 6 dropping a few more points then usual
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Aug 09, 2018 10:17:55 pm
      Not predicting anything apart from something that is fun and one hell of a ride!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #5: Aug 09, 2018 10:38:50 pm
      If Sturridge stays healthy he will be a massive asset to this club and allow us that quality depth up front that we need and lack when compared vs. City. Another area we are behind them on is the ability to unlock parked buses, something Sturridge would also help with.

When Klopp first came in i thought this would be the first season we'd challenge for the tile as i figured we'd need 2 summer windows of heavy changes and another of quality tweaks to mold us in his desired team, so i am bullish in that we will put up a very strong challenge this coming season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Aug 09, 2018 10:47:10 pm

We're Liverpool Football Club for fucks sake, the biggest club in the world.

And we should be winning trophies each and every year.

After seeing how well this group of players can play at times last year, I think with the additions we've made in the right areas for once, we're very suited to go and bring the Title home.

Is Right !   

Win It.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Aug 09, 2018 11:01:24 pm

Win it for our sake Skip,we have waited far too long.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #8: Aug 10, 2018 03:02:10 am
      Think we will improve on our points tally and get over 80 which should see us improve on fourth.

Don't think we will win the league though and I think we will finish somewhere between half a dozen and dozen points behind city who I think will win it.

I'm going for second place. 2-3 additions away from winning it yet.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #9: Aug 10, 2018 07:23:40 am
      To turnover a 25 point gap we need

City to be not as good as last year

our front 3 to stay fit and repeat last season

Lallana fit for majority

Sturridge fit for majority.

Will we get that perfect storm?? If yes fhen the title is on.If not I think were another season away.

On a  sidenote this could be a very different season. Several clubs doing some great business might see the big 6 dropping a few more points then usual

I really don't look at it as turning over the 25 point gap. Just because City got 100 points last season doesn't meen they will do it again this season. I deffo think that the other teams in the league will want a go at them this season, I'd imagine it will be the same for us.

The majority of that 25 points has been bridged with our signings. If we had VVD at the start of last season I don't think it would of been 25 points and we would of finished 2nd or 3rd IMO. City have improved their squad and I would think Marez would play more than Sterling this season. Plus they have Mendy back and Laporte and their defence wasn't an issue last season so it is practically the same team. We've got a world class goalkeeper now, we've improved defencively and will have VVD for a whole season now and midfield can now hold its own when we need to grind out those results and with Keita who can burst forward.

If city are to win the league again, like every pundit is predicting, then I don't think it will be by anywhere near 25 points this season and I think we'll push them all the way.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #10: Aug 10, 2018 07:50:40 am
      It's 50/50. We have a real shot here, IMO the best shot since 25 years.

+ This Liverpool squad is better 'pound to pound' than the one last season
      + Teams could study MC over a full season and will be better prepared and more motivated against the superior champ of last season
      + Chelsea, Tottenham, United and Arsenal didn't make a step forward

? Injuries, if e.g. VVD or Salah goes down it's over, but the same happens for MC if KDB goes down
      ? Luck, here and there winning on last minutes goals or gettin some favorable ref decisions can easily add to 10 points over the season

- Pressure, if we struggle early things could fall apart due to the anticipation
      - As with MC, teams had plenty of time to study Klopp and could figure him out at any point esp. with Buvac out, hard to tell his impact.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: Aug 10, 2018 07:53:48 am
      Think if injuries are no more than standard issue (ie no long term physio table stints to the A+ stars, and no major multiple injury at once periods) then we should be bang on for 80-85 points at minimum, which depending on the season can be anywhere from 1st-4th. So, challenging is bare minimum.

Title is definitely on the cards, and I do think we can win it with this squad. First time in a long time I've had that genuine belief, and the most confident in a Liverpool side I have ever been I think. Sure, I do think we're a little light on at the back, and Fekir would have been nice - but if his knee is a genuine issue, then I'm happy letting that one go if we couldn't do a deal that didn't break the bank for a noodle knee.

Bring this year the F**k on. Been counting the days for weeks now, and it's finally just about here. Big win to open up against a West Ham team that is showing some ambition will be a big sign of things to come.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #12: Aug 10, 2018 09:46:03 am
      A recent analysis showed that if we want to win the league this season we should get more than 90 points, considering that City won't have last season's performance.
      Moreover last season we had 5 losses and 12 draws. All 5 losses were away from Anfield. However, from our 12 draws, 7 were at home. This is the same problem that we had when we lost the league back in 2008/2009, when we had 11 draws (7 at home), with Rafa on our bench.

So, history shows that we should/must win those "draw" games at home. The additions of Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri (together with a healthy Sturridge) are enough I believe to help us win these games. There are a lot of teams which will park the bus in Anfield this season and we should have the quality/solutions to break them.

It doesn't matter if our front three repeat their last season and score 3-4 goals in a match. What it matters is to constantly pushing for 90 minutes and create chances in order to win those "draw" games.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #13: Aug 11, 2018 01:36:53 am
      A bit of fine tuning and we will skoosh it
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #14: Aug 11, 2018 04:07:49 pm
      We not going win it cback areas too many injury all time, l think we end 3 or 4 in league
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #15: Aug 11, 2018 04:11:00 pm
      Weak at Cb for me but will be so good upfront think we will be a close second
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #16: Aug 11, 2018 04:51:56 pm
      Well, i am always optimistic and even though we have acquired some top top talent i still see a weakness at centre back, that being said it is a weakness that could be fatal to our title aspirations. It is looking like Gomez will partner van Dijk tomorrow and i am praying that he plays as well as i know he can and that he makes that place his own.

Up front we are phenomenal, Firmino, Salah and Mane are the best front three in the League bar none. We have Shaqiri and Sturridge to rotate and as long as Sturridge stays injury free i think that department is solid.

In midfield we have Henderson, Fabinho and Keita... WOW!!! That is some mother F***ing midfield right there. If Lallana, Milner and Wijnaldum can perform at an acceptable level then we should be alright here.

The back four. Alexander Arnold, Gomez, van Dijk and Robertson is a very solid defence for me. It's when i look at Lovren, Klavan, Matip, Moreno and Clyne that i start to worry slightly.

The keeper. Alisson Becker, well what can i say? An absolutely brilliant piece of business in my eyes. A position we have struggled with for years has been firmly dealt with. Hopefully Karius can get his head down and work on his issues and learn from Alisson as well. He has 2 options, he can sulk like a little bi*ch or he can man up and prove people wrong. Grabara looked good in pre season and on form i'd put him ahead of Karius.

The transfer fees have never bothered me really, as long as Klopp gets who he wants. Like i said, my only concern was that we didn't get an Alderweireld type centre back but it is what it is.

Are we better equipped to launch a title assault? Definitely. Do we have the squad depth to maintain a title assault if we suffer injury problems? Probably not.

We'll have to wait and see. I for one can see us winning the League, provided we have that little bit of luck. The hard work is already there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Aug 11, 2018 05:15:28 pm
      Back line is my biggest concern, but the self-belief and squad depth are there to mount a real challenge. We must start well. We must eke out wins in some of those draws we played last year vs. lower-table teams. We must at least break even with the other big clubs, and as others have said, we must stay relatively healthy. But yes, we CAN win. City will be strong again but I think we have a chance to get a leg up on them early in the season.

But watch for Chelsea...
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #18: Aug 11, 2018 07:21:19 pm
      Win it.

Nuff said :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #19: Aug 11, 2018 08:41:56 pm
      September is a huge month, that will lay the foundations for the season ahead. The home game v City will be a massive game in the title race. Once the international breaks are done, we resume at Watford at the end of November kicking off 3 busy months, that will build a title challenge or allow us to consolidate a top 4 spot. The run in looks favourable, and the last game is at home.

We will be tested in September, so the team have got to show us that we finally have the character to cope with pressure and setbacks. If we can, we can win the league. If we pack it in when the going gets tough, then we'll have to settle for a top 4 spot again.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Aug 11, 2018 09:09:04 pm
      We'll win it this year, City won't steamroll everyone like they did last year, but the turnabout is that we will steamroll everyone. Starting tomorrow.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #21: Aug 12, 2018 08:05:00 am
      We need to challenge to the end and if we do that, I'm happy. We can win it!
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | 15 
      Reply #22: Aug 12, 2018 08:30:59 am
      I think we will challenge.

Maybe just fall short of toppling Citeh, but I can see us finishing above the rest (Mancs to be trailing in third  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: )

Maybe by next season we will have fully bridged the gap and toppled Pep and Co. Do see progress this season though (2nd + a trophy).

Quick Reply