Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Season Aspirations

Title Tilt
      6 (37.5%)
      Trophy Win
      3 (18.8%)
      CL Secured
      2 (12.5%)
      Winning The Lot
      5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: Aug 11, 2018 11:20:10 am

The Title - Win, Challenge Or Never Stand A Chance After September?

Read 9053 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: The Title - Win, Challenge Or Never Stand A Chance After September?
      Reply #23: Aug 12, 2018 09:13:38 am
      I’m thinking if we have s good start and get 3 or 4 wins under our belt, that will build confidence and belief.
      With Shaquiri and Studge looking good together as an option up top, we at last have s plan B if things aren’t going to plan. We will be able to take off strikers and replace them with strikers, instead of defenders or midfielders. That, along with a quality keeper, gives me confidence that we can win it.
      If we up our consistency to the level of City, which I think we now can, we have the advantage of being capable of beating them anywhere anytime.
      They won’t like playing us home or away, they fear what we are capable of, and that will win us the Prem 😁
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #24: Aug 12, 2018 09:41:18 am
      We have as good a chance as any of the title contenders of winning it  ,Cliched to F**k I know,but I don't see city having it all there own way this season & wont waltz it.
      Still would have liked  a CB but my main area of concern was a new keeper which has been sorted & I feel that could be the difference this season along with players staying injury free of course.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #25: Aug 12, 2018 09:57:19 am
      Firstly, City need to dip. Can't see us making up 25 points without City throwing about half of that gap away themselves.

Secondly, need to start fast. Last season was reduced to a scramble for top 4 by mid October due to our poor start. Can't afford the same again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #26: Aug 12, 2018 12:03:25 pm
      We'll be challenging for the title, I've no doubt about  that really but we do need a massive swing in points so will be hoping City slip up more than they did last season.

If we don't win it I'm convinced we'll be second and I want some sort of silverware this season. It's been far too long.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27: Aug 14, 2018 01:07:02 pm
      City

Huddersfield (h)
      Wolves (a)
      Newcastle (h)
      Fulham (h)
      Cardiff (a)
      Brighton (h)

Liverpool

Palace (a)
      Brighton (h)
      Leciester (a)
      Spurs (a)
      Southampton (h)
      Chelsea (a)

I really can't see City getting anything less than 18 points for the next 6 games, where as we should really look into getting at the very least, 14 points, 16 would be great if we can.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #28: Aug 14, 2018 07:22:22 pm
      Quietly confident here!
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #29: Aug 14, 2018 10:00:57 pm
      I honestly think we can win it. If we don’t, I sincerely hope we challenge deep into the league campaign and excel in the Champions League again.

Pep will obviously try and keep City’s high standard of last season going however I agree with an earlier poster. They won’t have it so easy this time round.
      They are still a very strong unit but so are we.

The bit part players such as Lallana, Sturridge will play a big part, if they finally stay injury free! We need strength off the bench during this long season.

Shaqiri I think will have a big impact as he looks like he’s super happy with this dream move to us.
      Fabinho and Henderson can soak up all the pressure and rebound to our wrecking crew.
      In just one match, our attacking moves looked in waves and more swift than last season. The passes looked firmer and quicker.
      Keita and Alisson will play our most important roles. Naby is a machine and he’ll only get better when he starts getting shooting chances and through balls going.
      He’s going to be incredibly exciting to watch and what a buy!

Fekir would’ve been the icing on the cake however don’t rule out a January move as we’ve seen it before.
      To be super greedy, I’d love solid cover for Lovren as well.

I’m impressed with his late confidence and form however not totally convinced he can keep it going for a whole season. I truly hope I’m wrong.

Onward and upward my fellow Reds.

I fear no one. YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30: Aug 15, 2018 07:53:52 am
      We had a sh*t start to the season last year,  no VVD and relied on rabbits in headlights in Lovren & Matip, with Migs between the sticks, Alberto doing his impressions of a LB, and a slightly dis-jointed midfield,
      Fast forward to Sunday 12/8/18, We have VVD, firmly enconsed as our CB Colossus, a confident young protege in Joe Go next to him, with two outstanding wing backs in Trent & Robbo scaring the sh*te out of the opposition with fearless abandonment, we have a midfield that will penetrate the tightest defence with Keita fastly becoming world class , and of course as Carlsberg will tell you the best three attackers on planet f***in football,  Probably,

Let me tell you, City are F**kin scared, they know we are capable of ripping them apart, 4 times we played them last season,  winning 3 and losing 1 with ten men,
      They were much stronger, played better throughout, deserved their title, this season they have strengthened, but not as much as we have, i actually think we have levelled the playing field,  yes they de Bruyan, we got Naby, they brought in Mahrez, we got Mane, they have a ageing Aguero, we have Bobby, Salah, Sturridge,  they have Jesus, not too reliable him,

We have Alisson, a keeper a million times better than our previous incumbents, We have a spine now that will send shivers down other's backs,
      Back in tge 70's, 80,'s teams would fear coming to Anfield they knew they were on a hiding, teams would buckle at the knees when we ran down their home tunnel,  they knew they were fu**ed, i believe we're getting back to those days....the fear factor...where teams were beat psychologically as they became our next victims in the fixture list,

This season IS a two horse race, it will be neck & neck for the most part,  until the CL enters the equation,  even then i doubt anyone else will be close enough to gatecrash the party,
      So i guess it could come down to head to head winner takes all, well i know who my money is on if it does,
      Over to you Pep, yer 3-1 down !!

YNWA
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #31: Aug 15, 2018 09:22:44 am
      City lot easy games before play us and will win them all,same last year like premier league what's city win league, if city get run be hard stop, we got Leinster spurs Chelsea away before city match lot will tell after them hard matches if in running for league, l like city fixtures at start season get bit run going
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #32: Aug 15, 2018 09:44:36 am
      Always seem to seemingly slipup in the end. Finished beaten finalists in the last three finals reached. Having said that seem to have a far stronger squad this season, with a new 'keeper. Obviously would love to win the title, which the brand of football played would be fully deserved !
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #33: Aug 15, 2018 10:54:59 am
      City lot easy games before play us and will win them all,same last year like premier league what's city win league, if city get run be hard stop, we got Leinster spurs Chelsea away before city match lot will tell after them hard matches if in running for league, l like city fixtures at start season get bit run going

City have a fantastic set of fixtures now, having had their "tough" opening day fixture. We just have to try to keep with them, The Palace match is big, we really need a win there to maintain momentum, then we have 3 easy'ish matches before Spurs away, but God knows where that will be played, perhaps it will be switched to a home game for us.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #34: Aug 15, 2018 11:28:33 am
      City have a fantastic set of fixtures now, having had their "tough" opening day fixture. We just have to try to keep with them, The Palace match is big, we really need a win there to maintain momentum, then we have 3 easy'ish matches before Spurs away, but God knows where that will be played, perhaps it will be switched to a home game for us.

I’m at the Palace game (with a load of Palace supporters) and they’re up for it! Zaha is quality and we need to shut him down somehow.

However every time I get worried I just think about the amount of game changers in our side and think ‘F***ing hell, what a team, we’ll win this’

Let’s F***ing do it
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #35: Aug 15, 2018 11:32:52 am
      It's almost bad luck that in our best position to win the league for years and years we're up against one of the best teams in the world, who have the capability to keep that level of quality year in year out.

Which will make it all the better when we do come out on top  8)

In all seriousness I feel our best chance of success in the league is to have a superb start and just keep knocking teams down. If we can get in a position where City are looking up at us after 10-15 games suddenly the pressure is on them to rein us in. It's going to be a dogfight and every point is going to matter at the end.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Aug 15, 2018 11:42:05 am
      I’m at the Palace game (with a load of Palace supporters) and they’re up for it! Zaha is quality and we need to shut him down somehow.

However every time I get worried I just think about the amount of game changers in our side and think ‘f**king hell, what a team, we’ll win this’

Let’s f**king do it

We can afford to man-mark Zaha and have the rest of the team focus on attack. Without Zaha they are bang average in my opinion but they are another one of these bogey teams for us.
      I think we'll blow them away though, we simply have to much for them to handle and we would have to have a massive dip and them the game of their season to beat us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #37: Aug 15, 2018 09:08:44 pm
      The period 1st September to October 7 will tell us where were at I think.

Leicester away spurs away followed by champs league. Southampton, league cup, Chelsea away champs league and Man City at home. Probably an international break in there also?

Should test how good the depth is. If we got 10 or 11 points and came through the cup and champions league unscathed I think it would be a massive massive boost to our prospects not to mention squad confidence
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Aug 15, 2018 10:53:10 pm
      What we don't want is a roller coaster 7-8-9 goal thriller. We've had a few of them against Palace. We want a clean stress free win. Keep it tight in defence, compete in midfield for 90 minutes, not just for 60 minutes like we have done a few times against the likes of Palace. Get out of there with 3 points.

We know we can entertain, but we have to put these types of games to bed the way City do, clinically and make sure we see out the last 20-30 minutes without some nerve racking drama. Do that on a regular basis and we are in with a serious chance.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Aug 16, 2018 10:13:56 am
      What we don't want is a roller coaster 7-8-9 goal thriller. We've had a few of them against Palace. We want a clean stress free win. Keep it tight in defence, compete in midfield for 90 minutes, not just for 60 minutes like we have done a few times against the likes of Palace. Get out of there with 3 points.

We know we can entertain, but we have to put these types of games to bed the way City do, clinically and make sure we see out the last 20-30 minutes without some nerve racking drama. Do that on a regular basis and we are in with a serious chance.

I agree neutralise Zaha and this should be quite comfortable for us, I'd be tempted to play Henderson as DM in this game so that he can help TAA with tracking Zaha.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #40: Aug 16, 2018 02:09:42 pm

City only failed to win 6 games last season. We failed to win in 17 of our games. That's huge gap - 25 point

That just about encapsulates the issue!

17/18 Post-mortem,
      We really had a second rate backline until VVD arrived, results speak for themselves after January. Last season we suffered the perennial LFC problem , the goal keeper, or more accurately the lack of one. Karius is a t**t end off, and don't nobody start with the magnanimous sentimentality!!!He needs to go, on a free if necessary. That, in my eyes is where the majority of these 25 points came from.

This Season, and wining the title?

Well consistency is obviously the watch word. Manu won the league consistently grinding out 1-0 wins, usually in the final fifteen minutes of games. We have to do what needs to be done, consistently, and the key to this is maintaining concentration. No more banana skins to sh*te sides. If that is maintained across the entire season, then we'll be there, or there about. Other than that
      its is the age old injury problem, as long as the holly trinity stay fit then we should be OK.

Gaps in the current squad

We definitely require another CB, the options we have presently are average at best.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #41: Aug 27, 2018 01:15:57 pm
      Massive month coming up. 3 very tough away games and a park the bus at home. And God knows who will be added in from the champions league draw.

8 points would be the minimum for me. 10 would be quality. 12 would have me very giddy
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #42: Sep 23, 2018 03:42:20 pm
      Or are we going to revert back to type and after a lot of hype in the summer just end up playing catch up from mid-September onwards

Well we can scratch that one off because just after the mid-September point we are top of the League by two clear points. We are the only side to still have a one hundred percent record. And we also have the best defence in the League, which doesn't seem to get as much attention as when we have the worst the defence of any side in the top six. Funny that!

Just give us the F***ing Title now.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #43: Sep 23, 2018 06:10:10 pm
      Well we can scratch that one off because just after the mid-September point we are top of the League by two clear points. We are the only side to still have a one hundred percent record. And we also have the best defence in the League, which doesn't seem to get as much attention as when we have the worst the defence of any side in the top six. Funny that!

Just give us the f**king Title now.

6 games is a good point to look at the table and whilst I love 100% in terms of played 6, won 6, what I love even more is seeing goals conceded at just 2, one of which can be attributed to Alisson's over extravagance against Leicester! It's early days but the way we've defended is as good as I've seen it in at least a decade.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #44: Sep 23, 2018 06:14:45 pm
      I have been saying it for years before this season, upgrade the keeper and it will be worth 15 or more points a season. If we had Alisson when we finished 2nd with Suarez, we would have won the league with a dozen points to spare. We are contenders because of the upgrade.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #45: Sep 23, 2018 06:14:51 pm
      Cant remember the "expert pundits" talking about our Goalkeeper or our defence so they talk about Mo playing just a bit below par but still scoring 3 in 6 more or less the same as last season.

Quick Reply