Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Squad Depth

Read 1867 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 834 posts | 306 
      Squad Depth
      Aug 10, 2018 08:42:40 am
      Never started a thread before, so hope I'm doing it right!

With our Summer signings, and (just as importantly) not losing any key personnel, we now have good squad depth in MOST areas.  Some of us (me included) would liked to have seen another top CD and maybe an AM or forward.  However, for the first time in years, we have some seriously decent options off the bench and I'm ore optimistic about our chances this season, than for many a year (after 40+ years a fan!).

There were numerous occasions last season when the likes of Salah was subbed and we completely lost our shape, attacking threat and conceded goals.  We now have options like Lallana (hopefully getting back to full fitness) & Shaqiri who can better bridge the gap, as well as plenty of midfield options, in spite of Ox's absence.

All bodes well for being able to sustain a challenge this season and attain greater consistency.

Just wondering what you guys thoughts are on this?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Squad Depth
      Reply #1: Aug 10, 2018 08:59:00 am

With our Summer signings, and (just as importantly) not losing any key personnel, we now have good squad depth in MOST areas.  Some of us (me included) would liked to have seen another top CD and maybe an AM or forward.  However, for the first time in years, we have some seriously decent options off the bench and I'm ore optimistic about our chances this season, than for many a year (after 40+ years a fan!).

There were numerous occasions last season when the likes of Salah was subbed and we completely lost our shape, attacking threat and conceded goals.  We now have options like Lallana (hopefully getting back to full fitness) & Shaqiri who can better bridge the gap, as well as plenty of midfield options, in spite of Ox's absence.

All bodes well for being able to sustain a challenge this season and attain greater consistency.

100% agree, an example of this is Fabinho potentially missing the match against West Ham and it not really being an issue as we have Henderson or Milner who can play that role.

I agree it would be nice to have a top CB to partner VVD but our defence is looking pretty good and we have adequate cover. One other position where we are stronger is in attack, we really were very exposed there last season.

The main one for me is finally having a good goalkeeper, I think that will make a huge difference for us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #2: Aug 10, 2018 10:00:08 am

I agree we have better options off the bench than we've had in a while but in an ideal world we're still a CB, AM and even a striker light.

Sturridge gets injured again and one of the main three are injured and we look short up top.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #3: Aug 10, 2018 11:50:08 am
      Not really worryed about attacking options. We are now in a position where we have cover. If Bobby is out we can play Salah trough the middle and Shaqiri out wide. Or Sturridge through the middle or wide right. It's an option but for me Danny should be used off the bench just to make sure he stays fit. Solanke has been here a full season now so he needs to push on. We will also have Rhian Brewster, which I think Klopp has alot of faith in him from what he's been saying. He's out injured at the moment but he looks a prospect. Our midfield options now look very strong so no worries there. VVD and Lovren are going to be our main 2 CB'S but Klaven can cover VVD plus I think it's time that Joe Gomez shows what he's about. I think Matip is down the pecking order now unless he can prove his fitness over a prolonged length of time but still an option. We also have the emergence of Nat Phillips who has looked very good defencively in pre season so we have options here.

It all looks good for the season. I expect Robbo to get even better this season which is very exciting. Milner can cover and Moreno but would much prefer him coming off the bench as a replacement for Mané.

TAA will also get better this season plus we also have a fit again Clyne and Gomez.

Looks good in my eyes. We all like to have world class in every position but it's not possible but our squad looks a hell of alot stronger than last season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: Aug 10, 2018 12:02:58 pm
      Agree with the comments that we are slightly deficient in terms of central defenders.  Despite his own claims and admittedly reaching the CL and World Cup finals, I remain to be 100% convinced on Lovren for two reasons.  I don't think he is consistent enough (although he has admittedly improved since the Spurs away epiphany) in the sense that you feel a big mistake is always a couple of matches away and he does pick up too many minor injuries. Then Matip and Gomez are arguably even worse with suffering injuries.

Going in to the season that would be my major concern and therefore it isn't a surprise that in the first game of the season that is the only problematic area.

Apart from that you can't argue too much with the squad depth.  No team can have the luxury of a 30 goal a season striker sitting on the bench, but I'd say we have four different capable goalscorers as backup.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: Aug 10, 2018 01:42:05 pm
      Agree with the comments that we are slightly deficient in terms of central defenders.  Despite his own claims and admittedly reaching the CL and World Cup finals, I remain to be 100% convinced on Lovren for two reasons.  I don't think he is consistent enough (although he has admittedly improved since the Spurs away epiphany) in the sense that you feel a big mistake is always a couple of matches away and he does pick up too many minor injuries. Then Matip and Gomez are arguably even worse with suffering injuries.

Going in to the season that would be my major concern and therefore it isn't a surprise that in the first game of the season that is the only problematic area.

Apart from that you can't argue too much with the squad depth.  No team can have the luxury of a 30 goal a season striker sitting on the bench, but I'd say we have four different capable goalscorers as backup.

Lovren's problem is between his ears.
      He could be a great defender but it seems he is always a brain fart waiting to happen.
      In itself, a brain fart wouldn't be too bad, but he compounds them by trying to make up for a mistake, which in turn leads to more mistakes, or in other words, tries too hard to make amends and ends up making more fuckups.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Aug 10, 2018 07:48:03 pm
      Best squad depth we've had for years.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: Aug 10, 2018 08:00:02 pm

More like the best we have ever had ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #8: Aug 10, 2018 08:18:20 pm
      As posted will this squad over a full season be capable of challenging on all fronts?
      Admitted it is a stronger line up than for at least a decade or so.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,631 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Aug 10, 2018 08:24:32 pm

It is unfortunately  ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #10: Aug 11, 2018 01:32:11 pm

We're light in central defence. Lovren's a good player but he's not world class (World Cup final notwithstanding). Matip has neither the required talent nor fitness, Klavan is getting on a bit and Gomez is untested. We need another Van Dijk level Center Back. We're also potentially light up front because it will be a miracle if Sturridge gets through the season without injury and Solanke is still developing and hasn't exactly lit the place up yet, and Origi has never kicked on and may still leave before the international window shuts. Midfield, fullback and Goalkeeping positions are the only areas we have sufficient depth in.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #11: Aug 11, 2018 02:19:08 pm
      Lovren having a shocker coming back injured leaves us very short at CB with injury history of Matip and Gomez to a lesser extent

Quick Reply