Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      8 (5.3%)
      James Milner
      67 (44.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.7%)
      Naby Keïta
      39 (26%)
      Sadio Mane
      33 (22%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Aug 16, 2018 03:21:38 pm

Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26484 times
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Aug 12, 2018 04:06:23 pm
      A joy to watch and unbelievably can only get better, MOTM is a tough one but it's got to be Milner, the lad just doesn't give up.

^This.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #323: Aug 12, 2018 04:07:08 pm
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #324: Aug 12, 2018 04:11:35 pm
      Excellent performance for the opening game of the season with a few main players unavailable.
      Milner was fantastic.
      Top of the league!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #325: Aug 12, 2018 04:20:17 pm
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #326: Aug 12, 2018 04:25:34 pm
      Excellent performance for the opening game of the season with a few main players unavailable.
      Milner was fantastic.
      Top of the league!

Nuther top professional performance. Does the simple stuff well, works hard every game and has great experience in almost every position on the pitch. Great example to every player at the club.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #327: Aug 12, 2018 04:26:17 pm
      Playing our system the way it should be is what won us the game comfortably today.

We were ferocious. We started the game with great intensity, and managed to maintain it at a high level for at least the first 30 minutes or so. Doing so makes teams well and truly sh*t themselves (as West Ham did); it's likely we'll score at least one earlyish goal from all the pressure (which we did); and the opponent just never gets into the game (even when we ease off).

And unlike similar starts to games last season, we didn't have Lovren or Karius/Mignolet gifting opponents chances/goals and getting them back into games.

Also, on top of the ferocious intensity, we were about as productively fluid as I've seen us to date. This is the only thing that will compensate for the lack of a Coutinho-type player. Pushing our FBs up to create the width, and bringing our wingers inside was what I'd been praying for all pre-season, allowing our entire front three the freedom to make all kinds of moves in behind, or to the ball in order to run at defenders or play crisp one-twos. The constant rotation of roles between Keita, Milner, and Gini was a joy to behold too.

Looks like we may be ending the first week on top of the table. Here's to not relinquishing that for the remainder of the season!  ;)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #328: Aug 12, 2018 04:41:00 pm
      Not conceded a premier league goal at Anfield since February 24th. That’s 6 PL home games in a row with a clean sheet.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #329: Aug 12, 2018 04:45:31 pm
      Klopp has got a real good pre-season established.

We could see in the recent matches that the players are sharp and fitness is good. Then he put them through an intensive fitness camp to improve things further. Arriving perfectly in sync for our 1st match and we blew them away.

Big ups to the coach. He knows his stuff!

Each player looks up for it - and that includes of course the new lads. With a strong bench and squad depth, there is competition for places. Sturridge loved that 1st goal, and Shaqiri was driving forward at every chance. Everyone knows they have to make each moment (or touch! a la Sturridge) count.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #330: Aug 12, 2018 05:00:28 pm
      To be honest I thought West Ham would offer a bit more. Or is it just that we are soooooo good 😁
      For me this game was like the countless games we played last season in that the opposition played as well as we allowed them to play
      We really where that good ,it was relentless at times so much so the West Ham players probably didn't even have time to scratch there sacks & as for James Milner well he really does leave you lost for words.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #331: Aug 12, 2018 05:01:19 pm
      Allison......6... didn't have a lot to do. One dodgy clearance

TAA....6...again not much to defend, his crosses were a bit off, cracking free kick tho
      Gomez...6...easy game, just did what he had to do, no pressure from WH
      Van Dijk....7...Holds the defence together, good passing but again very little pressure from WH
      Robbo.....8...Not much to do in defence but gave great support and gelled well with Naby & Mane.

Naby...8...very impressed. Looked as if he had played 50 games for us, great lay off to Robbo. Will get even better with time.
      Wijnaldum...7...Good in parts, put in a shift. Linked up with Naby well enough, getting a bit higher to score a few more this season.
      Milner...8...great display, always available, didn't waste a ball, showed West Ham how to put in a 100% professional performance.

Mane...9...Just nicks MOTM for me. Looked for the ball the whole 90 minutes, nagged away at WH, took his 2 goals well, great start to the season.
      Firmino....7....Hard player to track as he moves about so much. Makes space for others with his movement. Unlucky not to get on the end of a few.
      Salah...8...again buzzed about, hard to pin down or mark, quicksilver moves, scored and could have had more if we had been pressed.

Studge...8.pick of the subs, nipped in at the far post for his goal. Still a World class finisher.
      Shaq...7...Looked lively and excited by the challenge of being here. Got a bit of pace,hope he gets enough chances.

Klopp...8...Picked the right team, balanced, managed a great pre-season to get us off to a flyer.

Kid who ran on the pitch....5....bit slow and was easily caught by the stewards, but Mo handled it well...still was a sight better that the bone idle West Ham defence, Pellegrini offered £8million..
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2018 05:13:21 pm by Harrisimo »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #332: Aug 12, 2018 05:06:47 pm
      Klopp has got a real good pre-season established.

We could see in the recent matches that the players are sharp and fitness is good. Then he put them through an intensive fitness camp to improve things further. Arriving perfectly in sync for our 1st match and we blew them away.

Big ups to the coach. He knows his stuff!

Each player looks up for it - and that includes of course the new lads. With a strong bench and squad depth, there is competition for places. Sturridge loved that 1st goal, and Shaqiri was driving forward at every chance. Everyone knows they have to make each moment (or touch! a la Sturridge) count.

Excellent start to the campaign and  so much more possible with this team, I'd put the team performance at about 65%,which is truly terrifying.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #333: Aug 12, 2018 05:07:42 pm
      Couldn't have gone much better.

Great intensity in the first half for the 1st game of the season, 2nd half was a training game once Mane's 2nd went in. Good performances all round. Excellent debut from Keita, but gave Milner MOTM - started this season the way he finished the last, all action and some quality passing and crossing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #334: Aug 12, 2018 05:08:19 pm
      Excellent start to the campaign and  so much more possible with this team, I'd put the team performance at about 65%,which is truly terrifying.

Same here. Felt there were a lot of gears left in that display. It seemed the whole second half was more or less played at half pace from us. Could be a long season so the ability to get games wrapped up early like today is so important as it allows us to breath and relax.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #335: Aug 12, 2018 05:32:33 pm
      Allison......6... didn't have a lot to do. One dodgy clearance

TAA....6...again not much to defend, his crosses were a bit off, cracking free kick tho
      Gomez...6...easy game, just did what he had to do, no pressure from WH
      Van Dijk....7...Holds the defence together, good passing but again very little pressure from WH
      Robbo.....8...Not much to do in defence but gave great support and gelled well with Naby & Mane.

Naby...8...very impressed. Looked as if he had played 50 games for us, great lay off to Robbo. Will get even better with time.
      Wijnaldum...7...Good in parts, put in a shift. Linked up with Naby well enough, getting a bit higher to score a few more this season.
      Milner...8...great display, always available, didn't waste a ball, showed West Ham how to put in a 100% professional performance.

Mane...9...Just nicks MOTM for me. Looked for the ball the whole 90 minutes, nagged away at WH, took his 2 goals well, great start to the season.
      Firmino....7....Hard player to track as he moves about so much. Makes space for others with his movement. Unlucky not to get on the end of a few.
      Salah...8...again buzzed about, hard to pin down or mark, quicksilver moves, scored and could have had more if we had been pressed.

Studge...8.pick of the subs, nipped in at the far post for his goal. Still a World class finisher.
      Shaq...7...Looked lively and excited by the challenge of being here. Got a bit of pace,hope he gets enough chances.

Klopp...8...Picked the right team, balanced, managed a great pre-season to get us off to a flyer.

Kid who ran on the pitch....5....bit slow and was easily caught by the stewards, but Mo handled it well...still was a sight better that the bone idle West Ham defence, Pellegrini offered £8million..
      No rating for Hendo?
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #336: Aug 12, 2018 05:59:35 pm
      Gave motm to Milner, what a game he played today!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #337: Aug 12, 2018 06:02:59 pm
      I'm getting carried away because we played at 75% it could have been 7 or 8 we are better defensively and stronger in midfield plus we now have Shaqiri and Danny on the bench . A note of caution in that we saw how poor the decisions were by the ref and in tight games this could go against us and having just watched City I don't think they look as good as last season and we are definitely stronger all over the park. What a great way to spend Sunday watching the 18/19 Champions
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #338: Aug 12, 2018 07:00:55 pm

sorry...

Hendo.....6.....did what he does..

'appy now..
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #339: Aug 12, 2018 07:51:08 pm
      That was an excellent performance from the reds.

Don't know whether it's just me but we look a lot more measured so far.

Last season seemed like mostly just high intensity but so far it seems different.

We look to be much more composed on the ball, we played through what was at times a 5 man West Ham midfield with ease.

We kept and used the ball really well.

Oh and it's great to see how comfortable Alisson is on the ball. He's like an outfield player.

It's well better having a keeper who will chip it out to the wing or even wait for a midfield runner and play a ball across the floor rather than just blasting it forward and having it come straight back.

I think it helps us maintain pressure throughout the game.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #340: Aug 12, 2018 07:57:15 pm
      That was a great performance. Controlled the game start to finish. It was very classy and professional, full of quality too.

We looked like champions. West Ham never looked like they would trouble us at any point in the game and do not be fooled, they're a very good side them. The liverpool of old I would be nervous throughout the game, even at 2-0 or 3-0. I'd still be thinking we could throw this away. But not now. It was a proper confident and dominant performance that I would associate with champions it really was. I was very, very impressed.

I thought Alisson had a good game. He had very little to do but already he brings a much needed calmness to the back four. It's so refreshing to see a keeper come off his line and catch the ball too, I can't remember the last time I saw a Liverpool goalkeeper do that. He's very good on the ball and plays it out from the back.

As usual, I thought both the full backs did very well. Trent and Robbo both got forward very well and they are crucial to our attack, but they're both excellent defenders too and marked their men completely out the game.

Van dijk didn't put a foot wrong. Excellent as usual. Gomez also had a good game alongside him too. I thought he looked more natural at centre half today. He made one mistake in the first half where he was playing their striker on and he misjudged the flight of the pass but other than that he was fine, played well.

I was very impressed with the midfield three. Keita and Milner in particular were excellent but Wijnaldum had a good game too. I think they all got in the box at some point which was really pleasing to see and they interchanged and swapped around with each other perfectly. We saw glimpses today of how good keita can be and what a player we have on our books.

The front three were just the typical front three. They caused West Ham all kind of problems and were clinical wen they needed to be.

Couldn't have got off to a better start. It was perfect that performance and were sitting top of the league. Well done reds.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #341: Aug 12, 2018 07:59:47 pm
      First step. Done. :kop5cf8koxp6:

The only thing that scares me is our depth: Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Fabinho, Lallana, Shaq and Sturridge. I hope Jürgen can maintain them happy.

There are a lot of games to be played. They will be all involved.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #342: Aug 12, 2018 08:08:33 pm
      Last season seemed like mostly just high intensity but so far it seems different.

We look to be much more composed on the ball, we played through what was at times a 5 man West Ham midfield with ease.

We kept and used the ball really well.

All the talk is about Milner, Keita, Mane etc, but for me, Wijnaldum had just as a good game as them. The key was playing Wijnaldum as our 6. He dictated and controlled the tempo like a boss which allowed Milner and Keita to play their roles to the highest capacity.

I honest don't think I have seen a midfield 3 performance like that since Rafa days.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #343: Aug 12, 2018 08:19:43 pm
      sorry...

Hendo.....6.....did what he does..

'appy now..
      Delighted mate, I’ll sleep tonight now.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #344: Aug 12, 2018 08:30:36 pm
      Great result but West Ham were dreadful. Couldn't control any sort of possession and played a shocking defensive line. 6 nil would not have been flattering to us. Huge pressure on Pellegrini he better hope all those signings gel fast or the hammers fans will lose patience quickly.

Quick Reply