Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      8 (5.3%)
      James Milner
      67 (44.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.7%)
      Naby Keïta
      39 (26%)
      Sadio Mane
      33 (22%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Aug 16, 2018 03:21:38 pm

Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26937 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Aug 13, 2018 01:23:32 pm
      Not an unpopular opinion mate, the versatility and the quality we saw from Milner / Gini / Keita trio yesterday proves your point. I can't see Hendo as a regular starter tbh and neither should he be. When Fabinho starts to integrate into the team and Ox comes back, I'd say Hendo will start to look even more average. I agree, we should keep him if we want to challenge for all cups, but he's got to get used to making starting appearances against the likes of Brighton and Wolves rather than City et al.

did you not see the World Cup he was lauded by virtually every pundit for the work he does for the team its why Jürgen will play him he does his job as directed by the manager really well.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #392: Aug 13, 2018 01:23:46 pm
      What a start! Just such a pleasure to watch - can't remember an opening day like it for years. Considering we barely got out of third gear it was so comfortable.

Bigger tests to come of course - this West Ham team will be better in a few months time after their signings bed in and Pellegrini works with them - but nonetheless we smothered them all over the pitch and were clinical enough in front of goal.

Lots of top performances, Mane, Keita, Gini etc., but special mention to Milner who just keeps defying expectations. Like a fine wine the guy just gets better and better every year!
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #393: Aug 13, 2018 01:26:22 pm
      Totally agree, we were in complete control.  There will be tougher tests but we will also get better.

YNWA
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #394: Aug 13, 2018 01:48:31 pm
      Not going to happen.

Regardless of what you and others think, he's club captain, and one of Klopp's favourite players.

He'll be a main part of our team all season, unless injuries limit him.

I appreciate this is the case, but I'm not alone in thinking Hendo's starting appearances should be limited. We have higher quality options and Hendo is not the future. It's my opinion though mate, I appreciate the work rate and ethic he brings in, but to be honest, they all do nowadays. So it's becoming more about quality for me, and the quality of others are higher.

did you not see the World Cup he was lauded by virtually every pundit for the work he does for the team its why Jürgen will play him he does his job as directed by the manager really well.

Well this is the crux of my argument, the work rate he puts in is exceptional, no arguing about this. But looking at the work rate of Milner, Gini and Keita yesterday tells me he can't claim the "work horse" title anymore. With respect to world cup, sorry but we hardly faced world class opposition on our route to semis. I don't take WC as a reliable barometer. I'm not knocking the fella, I've always appreciated his effort and ethics, but he just doesn't have enough quality. I think he's needed this season for purposes of rotation, and start him against lower teams by all means as he does that job very well. But going forward, especially when Ox comes back and Fabinho gets game time, I can't see Hendo anything other than a very good squad player.

On the captaincy, I hope VVD takes over from next season onwards. Far more commanding and a better organizer.

But I digress, my intention isn't to demonize Hendo, I like the fella and he's done well for us. I'm just saying, we're getting better as a team, especially in the midfield, Hendo has stayed the same.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #395: Aug 13, 2018 01:56:33 pm
      I appreciate this is the case, but I'm not alone in thinking Hendo's starting appearances should be limited. We have higher quality options and Hendo is not the future. It's my opinion though mate, I appreciate the work rate and ethic he brings in, but to be honest, they all do nowadays. So it's becoming more about quality for me, and the quality of others are higher.

Not trying to be a dick here, but what you and other fans think is immaterial.
      Henderson is 28 and in his peak years, for at least another 3-4 seasons.

If Klopp listened to some fans we'd have Hart in goal.

There's a reason so many managers play Henderson as their first choice, the fact that a section of people can't see why doesn't matter.
      Henderson, when he's back up to speed, and barring injuries, will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #396: Aug 13, 2018 01:58:25 pm
      . I'm just saying, we're getting better as a team, especially in the midfield, Hendo has stayed the same.

Sorry to pick out a tiny part of your post - I agree with a lot of it actually - but this is just untrue. Henderson is a far far better No. 6 than he was last year, no question.
      Whether that's good enough to keep a settled Fabinho, or Gini or Milner, out of the 1st XI, we will see.

I don't see negatives here, we have a very talented (yes people, he is talented!) No. 6 in Henderson and now have real quality to challenge and maybe take his place.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #397: Aug 13, 2018 02:01:35 pm
      Not going to happen.

Regardless of what you and others think, he's club captain, and one of Klopp's favourite players.

If even remotely true then lets hope for injuries to Henderson then!
      In all seriousness he was the weak point of the midfield last year, in terms of creativity, and would be this year as well and I would be very surprised and disappointed if he plays more than the other midfielders.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #398: Aug 13, 2018 02:05:15 pm
      Sorry to pick out a tiny part of your post - I agree with a lot of it actually - but this is just untrue. Henderson is a far far better No. 6 than he was last year, no question.
      Whether that's good enough to keep a settled Fabinho, or Gini or Milner, out of the 1st XI, we will see.

I don't see negatives here, we have a very talented (yes people, he is talented!) No. 6 in Henderson and now have real quality to challenge and maybe take his place.

Exactly.

He'll be playing a lot of games this season, and people need to start figuring out that regardless of their opinion, every single manager he plays under values him highly.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #399: Aug 13, 2018 02:06:55 pm

Where would you rank Henderson in the list of top #6's in the world, for example is he better than Kante or how about Mascherano (when he was at the top of his game).
      I think Henderson is a good backup midfielder, but he is nothing special, in fact one of the reasons why England did not do better in the World Cup was because of its very average unimaginative midfield, Henderson was a big part of that.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,497 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #400: Aug 13, 2018 02:28:20 pm
      If even remotely true then lets hope for injuries to Henderson then!

You worse every day.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #401: Aug 13, 2018 02:37:02 pm
      Too easy!!  West Ham were woeful but we controlled the game from start to finish.

Keita was my MOTM; Gerrard-esque in his dynamic running, driving forward.  Defensively, broke up 5 or 6 attacks that I saw.  Ran from first to last minute; good engine, reminiscent of Hendo.

Kept an eye on VVD and liked that 3 times I counted him early nudging the WH attacker when a high ball was played up, so the guy couldn't win the ball in the air.  Clever fouling not spotted once.  Nice!

Milner was excellent with lots of energy & drive.

Front 3 all lively, picking up where we left off last season.

TAA had a poor game IMO.  Caught out under the high cross field ball twice (again) and mis-placed several crosses from promising positions.

Shaqiri is like a slab of meat.  He's absolutely HHHUUUGGGEEE!!!  Wouldn't fancy trying to knock him of the ball!  Nice cameo from him and almost scored with the last kick of the game.

Perfect start to the campaign, but let's not get too carried away, as I'll doubt we'll get an easier run out than that, WH were so bad.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #402: Aug 13, 2018 02:44:05 pm

Any more of that and Jūrgen is gonna need stronger glasses.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #403: Aug 13, 2018 02:54:59 pm
      Watched the game yet again, still can't believe how good we were on the ball. Anyone else find it extraordinary how we only had 1 new outfield player and looked even better in possession than last season? Just 2 changes in midfield and we were bossing it like 08/09 days!
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #404: Aug 13, 2018 02:58:17 pm
      Perfect start to the season yesterday, against a team that are still getting to know each other/there new management.

I don't think any of our starting front 3 looked 100% sharp (don't expect it on first game), but they still came out with 3 goals between the trio which must be frightening for the oppo.

The midfield 3 really need to take the most of the plaudits yesterday though for me, I thought throughout they were fantastic and really complimented each other in all aspects of play.

The back 5 did ok as a unit, Becker will have harder days to come it was a good debut for the lad to break himself into Anfield life. VVD was playing with his slippers on smoking a cigar wasn't he at the back? So assured and in total command of what he's doing out there absolutely love the guy. Andy Robertson was his usual fantastic self, hand on heart my favourite player at the club. I think it's just a combination of where he comes from, his quality and his desire that adheres him to me. My couple of negatives for the game were TAA and Joe, I thought they got caught out a few times positionally and TAA's deliver was very poor with the talent he has.

It's one game however and I'm not going to dwell too much, however thought needs going in can we trust these two in the true top level games, at such an early stage of there career?

How strong did our bench look btw? Karius, Clyne, Fabinho, Hendo, Shaq, Studge & Lallana! Not had that sort of strength waiting in the wings for as far back as I can remember.

Going forward, we've invested well. We've a fit squad (touch wood) barring the Ox. We now need to deliver, we must have silverware at the end of the year and I hope to god it's the PL trophy it's been way too long.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #405: Aug 13, 2018 03:46:50 pm
      Too easy!!  West Ham were woeful but we controlled the game from start to finish.

Keita was my MOTM; Gerrard-esque in his dynamic running, driving forward.  Defensively, broke up 5 or 6 attacks that I saw.  Ran from first to last minute; good engine, reminiscent of Hendo.

Kept an eye on VVD and liked that 3 times I counted him early nudging the WH attacker when a high ball was played up, so the guy couldn't win the ball in the air.  Clever fouling not spotted once.  Nice!

Milner was excellent with lots of energy & drive.

Front 3 all lively, picking up where we left off last season.

TAA had a poor game IMO.  Caught out under the high cross field ball twice (again) and mis-placed several crosses from promising positions.

Shaqiri is like a slab of meat.  He's absolutely HHHUUUGGGEEE!!!  Wouldn't fancy trying to knock him of the ball!  Nice cameo from him and almost scored with the last kick of the game.

Perfect start to the campaign, but let's not get too carried away, as I'll doubt we'll get an easier run out than that, WH were so bad.

Struggling to see TAA's 'poor game' to be honest. He provided an absolutely quality cross with his left foot in the first half and his free kick attempt was superb (matched only by Fabianski's save). And it was he, after all, who started the motion for the first goal with a superb intelligent ball into Keita. For sure he was caught out a couple of times but given that he's only been back training for a short while I thought it was a decent showing by him. He was alright in my book.

Still hard to believe he's still a teenager as he's really made that spot his own. Last season really was incredible for him and that display at home to City in the quarter final ranks as one of my top 5 individual defensive displays I have ever seen from a Liverpool player!
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2018 03:51:09 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #406: Aug 13, 2018 04:02:19 pm
      Struggling to see TAA's 'poor game' to be honest. He provided an absolutely quality cross with his left foot in the first half and his free kick attempt was superb (matched only by Fabianski's save). And it was he, after all, who started the motion for the first goal with a superb intelligent ball into Keita. For sure he was caught out a couple of times but given that he's only been back training for a short while I thought it was a decent showing by him. He was alright in my book.

Still hard to believe he's still a teenager as he's really made that spot his own. Last season really was incredible for him and that display at home to City in the quarter final ranks as one of my top 5 individual defensive displays I have ever seen from a Liverpool player!
      In a match that largely resembled a training session, where most of our side looked good, he got caught out 2 or 3 times with a simple ball over his head and going forward there were, I think, 4 occasions where he put the ball straight out of play.  The free kick was a good effort but overall he was our weakest player on the day for me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #407: Aug 13, 2018 04:11:07 pm
      In a match that largely resembled a training session, where most of our side looked good, he got caught out 2 or 3 times with a simple ball over his head and going forward there were, I think, 4 occasions where he put the ball straight out of play.  The free kick was a good effort but overall he was our weakest player on the day for me.

So what if he put it out of play a few times? From what I recall the balls he played were the right idea in that they looked to play to our strengths in finding that decisive pass while they were desperately scrambling back into position. Far rather that than pausing for 4 seconds, checking back onto his left and passing back and producing nothing out of it except than allow them to reorganise and invite them onto us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #408: Aug 13, 2018 04:54:20 pm
      Boss, couldn’t have asked for a better start to the season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #409: Aug 13, 2018 05:22:26 pm
      Not going to happen.

Got to be honest, i have consistently said Hendo would struggle to get game time and not raise his game, but this humble pie im eating is well deserved, 
      Jordan has proven me and others wrong especially in the latter parts of last season,  i see no reason he cannot do the same again and step up another level,  although this season i feel he'll have competition from Fabinho once he settles.
      Its Jürgen who will have the headaches and this is exactly what is required,  competition for 1st team positions and getting the best out of your players,
      Jordan's or Fabino's spell on the bench will be of Jürgen's choosing and not because there's a lack of capabilities!

YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #410: Aug 13, 2018 06:16:36 pm

Got to be honest, i have consistently said Hendo would struggle to get game time and not raise his game, but this humble pie im eating is well deserved, 
      Jordan has proven me and others wrong especially in the latter parts of last season,  i see no reason he cannot do the same again and step up another level,  although this season i feel he'll have competition from Fabinho once he settles.
      Its Jürgen who will have the headaches and this is exactly what is required,  competition for 1st team positions and getting the best out of your players,
      Jordan's or Fabino's spell on the bench will be of Jürgen's choosing and not because there's a lack of capabilities!

YNWA

Like I keep saying, there's a reason so many managers have him in their team, although I think the deeper role inhibits him a bit.
      On the other side of that, he's obviously playing to instructions.
      I'd like to see him play a bit further up, and use his pace and power (and technique) more often.

I only saw one pre-season game with Fabinho playing, so too early to make a call, but I noticed he looked pretty slow.
      It doesn't matter that much of course, if his positioning is good, and doubtless there was a bit of rust as well.
      Either way, good to have competition for places.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2018 06:21:09 pm by Swab »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #411: Aug 13, 2018 07:06:48 pm
      Not going to happen.

Regardless of what you and others think, he's club captain
      That right there is why he should not be captain, he gets picked when he is not the best option.

one of Klopp's favourite players.
      Klopp is too professional to have favourites, but if he did it would be Salah then probably Mane and Firmino and Hendo would be somewhere along the lines of "I talk him up because I don't have the heart to remove his armband" Of course Klopp won't say that.. he is too professional.

Who will sit on the bench then? Keita? Ox? Fabinho? If that were the case somebody will be going next summer.. I'd be very mad if we lose a great midfielder because they were on the bench because Hendo is captain.

Rodgers gave the armband to Hendo, not Klopp.. Rodgers is the guy that thought Allan and Toure are world class and Mignolet was our solution in goal. Sadly Klopp took a while to get Mignolet out of goal, it is not as important to remove the armband than remove Mignolet, but it still could be a problem.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #412: Aug 13, 2018 07:13:22 pm
      Like I keep saying, there's a reason so many managers have him in their team
      Money, good players are expensive. I can name a lot of players that played because other options were big transfer fee and high wages. Anybody thinking Hendo is anywhere near to Pogba, Kante or Jorginho are kidding themselves. I keep hearing best in his position in the league and that is utter nonsense.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #413: Aug 13, 2018 07:19:54 pm
      Good result anyway, just hope we keep this team for now and if we need to change anything, give Fabinho a chance to impress.

Quick Reply