Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      8 (5.3%)
      James Milner
      67 (44.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.7%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      39 (26%)
      Sadio Mane
      33 (22%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Aug 16, 2018 03:21:38 pm

Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26505 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Aug 13, 2018 08:38:30 pm

;D Where's the rest of my post, plus I was basing it on your conjecture of him being the mvp in midfield, which he simply isn't. I obviously would not wish harm to any player, except Ramos.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #415: Aug 13, 2018 10:30:30 pm
      Exactly.

He'll be playing a lot of games this season, and people need to start figuring out that regardless of their opinion, every single manager he plays under values him highly.

He had a good second half of the season / World Cup and deserves a spot in the 11 this season.

However I still canā€™t get that Sevilla away performance out of my head (you wouldnā€™t even consider him a football player that night), plus I feel Wijnaldum / and possibly Fabinho offer that little bit extra in terms of quality.

I like the fact heā€™s English and I think itā€™s important to have British players spread out across a team full of very talented foreign players as it seems to work pretty well. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #416: Aug 13, 2018 10:48:12 pm
      Where would you rank Henderson in the list of top #6's in the world, for example is he better than Kante or how about Mascherano (when he was at the top of his game).
      I think Henderson is a good backup midfielder, but he is nothing special, in fact one of the reasons why England did not do better in the World Cup was because of its very average unimaginative midfield, Henderson was a big part of that.

Piano carriers. Piano movers.

Sir Elton John and Billy Preston is/was great creating beautiful melodies on the keyboards, but I wouldn't hire either of them to get my Richmond Upright to the Premier League trophy award ceremony in top condition. Other talents are needed for that.

And btw, we're not going to have the top player in the world at all 11 positions. We just want to have the players best suited to move Klopp's master plan forward to victory. I think we're getting very close to having that.

EDIT: Meant to say "Piano carriers, piano PLAYERS." nothing but operator error there - and it's not even a great analogy/metaphor as Hendo is not without more aesthetic skills.

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018 02:34:06 pm by Robby The Z »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #417: Aug 13, 2018 10:49:17 pm
      Exactly.

He'll be playing a lot of games this season, and people need to start figuring out that regardless of their opinion, every single manager he plays under values him highly.

But what are the options for an England side. Majority of the quality mids in the Prem are foreign.
      If they were all eligable for England, Hendo would be well down the pecking order, thatā€™s a fact.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #418: Aug 13, 2018 11:30:36 pm
      But what are the options for an England side. Majority of the quality mids in the Prem are foreign.
      If they were all eligable for England, Hendo would be well down the pecking order, thatā€™s a fact.

It's not a fact mate, it's your opinion.

I was thinking more along the lines of Dalglish, Rogers and Klopp.
      If he was as limited as people try to make out, he would have been gone long ago.
      This is what people never seem to consider.

Dalglish, Rogers and Klopp could all have replaced him with another English player or a supposedly superior foreign player.
      None of them did that.
      Dalglish played him on the right, just to have him on the pitch, which shows how he rated him as a footballer.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; just because some fans can't see his value and his contribution to the team, it doesn't mean others can't.

It makes me laugh that people think they know better than our managers.

He's a fine player.
      Not world class, but elite class.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #419: Aug 13, 2018 11:33:07 pm
      He had a good second half of the season / World Cup and deserves a spot in the 11 this season.

However I still canā€™t get that Sevilla away performance out of my head (you wouldnā€™t even consider him a football player that night), plus I feel Wijnaldum / and possibly Fabinho offer that little bit extra in terms of quality.

I like the fact heā€™s English and I think itā€™s important to have British players spread out across a team full of very talented foreign players as it seems to work pretty well.

Sevilla was a collective failure, and I include Klopp in that.

Henderson is not an English makeweight, he is an important part of our team.
      People need to start realising that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #420: Aug 14, 2018 12:14:22 am
      On a side note, can anyone tell me who the Blonde honey is that was sitting near the bench area, behind where JĆ¼rgen was standing? She was smoking hot.

:o :o :o :o
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #421: Aug 14, 2018 12:16:07 am
      Looking at the poll, interesting that #1/2 are mid fielders...bodes well for the season ahead.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #422: Aug 14, 2018 12:31:12 am
      Looking at the poll, interesting that #1/2 are mid fielders...bodes well for the season ahead.

I think even better than that is the fact that the bloke leading is someone we picked up on a free, for all the big spending we have done. Fella has been absolute value, and continues to be so important.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #423: Aug 14, 2018 12:46:31 am
      ;D Where's the rest of my post, plus I was basing it on your conjecture of him being the mvp in midfield, which he simply isn't. I obviously would not wish harm to any player, except Ramos.

First off, it wasn't me, secondly, and most importantly, if you call who you think is your Man of the Match an 'MVP' then you're a bad f***in lizard.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #424: Aug 14, 2018 01:01:32 am
      The Henderson debate, as is usually the case with two sides arguing so vociferously, probably lands somewhere in the middle.

Heā€™s the captain. Heā€™s a good player. Heā€™ll play a lot of games.

But I think you canā€™t deny the fact we bought Fabinho for a reason. We need another body that is, on paper, better than what we had last season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #425: Aug 14, 2018 04:05:05 am
      It's not a fact mate, it's your opinion.

I was thinking more along the lines of Dalglish, Rogers and Klopp.
      If he was as limited as people try to make out, he would have been gone long ago.
      This is what people never seem to consider.

Dalglish, Rogers and Klopp could all have replaced him with another English player or a supposedly superior foreign player.
      None of them did that.
      Dalglish played him on the right, just to have him on the pitch, which shows how he rated him as a footballer.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; just because some fans can't see his value and his contribution to the team, it doesn't mean others can't.

It makes me laugh that people think they know better than our managers.

He's a fine player.
      Not world class, but elite class.

What are you talking about?

Dalglish signed him and was therefore always going to play him.

Gerrards legs went under Brendan and he was then played in a different role. Henderson was played alongside him to do his donkey work and cover the ground Stevie no longer could.

Brendan couldn't upgrade him because he didn't have the pull to bring players in. Other positions were seen as a priorirty too.

Klopp came in and didn't want to disturb things. He gave EVERYBODY in the squad a second chance and all slates were wiped.

He's now had time to look at things and evaluate where we're at. We have finished fourth back to back with almost identical point tallys. Reached a few finals but fell short.

Now this summer we signed not one, but two midfielders and he was desperate for that third too.

Oh and England have horrific options to play in centre mid. The only world class player they have nowadays is Harry Kane. It is not opinion, it is fact, if every player who plays in the premiership now was English then Henderson would be nowhere near that team and you just look like a fool to suggest otherwise.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #426: Aug 14, 2018 06:45:48 am
      Opening days don't come much better do they? Twatted the opposition going forward, kept them to practically no chances going the other way, no injuries, no red cards, clean sheet, absolute breeze...oh yeah and going top of the League.

We've built on the good pre-season we had with a wonderful performance. And in the process, we went top of the League.

We've picked up from where we left on last season. Front three looking as good as ever, defence looking as good a unit as they have done for a very long time. Midfield being the steady players we've become accustomed to. And a very easy welcome into Premier League football for our new keeper.

It's really difficult to find a fault in our team performance today. It was exceptional. Obviously every player has areas they could of improved upon but as a team it was as close to faultless as you'll find. And after that game, West Ham will be employing "The Chosen One" at the end of December to save them from relegation again.

A faultless performance can't be said for that pr**k of a ref. Absolute disgrace of an official.

Alisson - must admit I can see meself getting worried with this lad because of how cool he is with the ball at his feet. He played the ball out in typical Brazilian fashion - with that one exception that went straight to the West Ham right winger. If teams rush him, I worry. But hopefully he'll prove those doubts wrong. Other than that, the fella was exceptional. I didn't have any worries about him punching the ball from the cross, he got distance on it and with today's balls wobbling as much as they do, it's very difficult for keepers to catch them. Very good debut.

Alexander-Arnold - wasn't young Trent's finest day but I thought he did well enough. Kept their record signing Anderson quiet, so much so that he had to change flanks. Then kept Antonio quiet for the most part. Defensively he was more than alright and for a full back, that'll do me. His offensive play was a little off today, some really poor crosses but I'll settle for that from my right back.

Gomez - first real outing as a centre-half for us and didn't put a foot wrong. With Trent on the right, Virgil beside him and Robbo on the left, there's only one spot left in the back four and if young Joe can maintain that level of performance then he's first in line to take it. A lot of us have always liked Joe Go and felt he was better suited to centre half, today justified JĆ¼rgen's trust in him. Brilliant performance Joey.

Van Dijk - another faultless performance from the big man. Very assured. It's becoming the norm from the Dutchman. He's marshalling that young back line into a top quality defensive unit. Strong, commanding, calm, everything you want from a defender.[/b]

Robertson - very quickly becoming the best left back in the world. Fantastic performance, both ends of the field. Like Trent on the other side, he kept their wingers quiet, no matter which one he was up against. Got up the field and supported Mane the way a full back should. His delivery was spot on. Always in the right position. Best left back we've had in the Premier League era.

Wijnaldum - a very understated performance, the type that some of our midfielders over the years would be proud of. Doing all the simple things exceptionally well. Didn't perform as well when Henderson came on and he was pushed further forward but as the deepest of the three in the first half, he was outstanding. Kept the ball ticking over, won the ball back numerous times, an unfashionable but vital performance from our Gini.

Milner - I can see why he won man of the match, both on the forum and from Andy F***ing Hinchcliffe (why is he commentating?). It was an excellent performance from the elder statesman of the team. He's given the boss a real headache in regards to who to pick for Palace next Monday. After a performance like that, he really deserves to keep his place. Fantastic pull back for Mane's first. I thought this year he was going to be very limited in terms of his game time but if he can continue that vein of form then he's gonna get a lot more than I thought he would.

Keita - after 90 minutes of competitive football in a Red shirt, I can safely say that lad has something special about him. He was my man of the match just because it was his debut. I weren't expecting such a high standard from the off but Naby just fitted into the side like a hand to a glove. Assured in his passing, just one dodgy effort on his left foot. Didn't get stuck in as much as I was expecting. After reading about his performances in Germany, I was expecting somebody who just dived into tackles but he looked like he picked his tackles with a lot of maturity today.

Salah - hardly the outstanding performance we've come to expect from our Egyptian King but still an easy seven or eight out of ten. A well taken goal. The interchanging play between him Firmino and Mane was a joy to see. Three months since the last time we saw it and it's like nothing has changed. Still as threatening as they've always been.

Firmino a lot of hustle and bustle today but never looked that much of a threat to their goal. Very unselfish performance though. Worked for the team throughout. Might not be what some of us consider a true centre forward but you can't deny the fella's work ethic. Truth be told, I'd rather Sturridge came on for him but that's just because I felt Danny's form in pre-season had earned him some game time if not to start.

Mane - excellent by our new number 10. Two very well taken goals. The first was slightly behind him so to turn it in was very good indeed. Didn't try and do too much with it, just knocked it into the net. And the second was a great instinctive strike. Always looked to threaten their defence, linked up well with his team mates and richly deserved the two goals. More of the same going forward Sadio.

Henderson - looked to pick up from his form at the end of the season rather than his World Cup displays. For England his passing was much more forward thinking, for us he's a lot more conservative but it works. Keeps the ball moving and always finds himself in acres of space, which is why his passing frustrates a lot of people. But a good run out for a lad who hardly had any pre-season time. Probably starts on the bench against Palace as well.

Shaqiri - the new lad is going to find his time on the pitch limited. He's joined a club that has the best front line in the world. But he looked like when he did come on that he'll fit right in. Some clever runs, nice touches and neat passes. If he can perform like that then when he is called upon I have no fear he'll do a job for us.

Sturridge - made up he got his goal. Could of had another as well. He's carried his pre-season form into the season. JĆ¼rgen has a real decision to make now about who starts up top. Six goals in pre-season and one with his first touch in the League almost forces Danny into our starting XI. And it was his goal that took us top. Well done Dan.

Overall, it's hard to do anything but F***ing smile from ear to ear. It's great to see the Reds back in action, especially when we perform like that. Looking like the Champions we are. Sitting top of the League from day F***ing one.

Thank you Reds. Thank you JĆ¼rgen. Thank you Liverpool Football Club.

A new season but once again brilliant analysis from you.
      Utterly agree
      Love it when you are this positive!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #427: Aug 14, 2018 06:51:30 am
      Oh, and anyone who doesnā€™t understand how good Hendo is needs to think about how much they love our front three and how that attacking freedom comes about.
      Think about how we praise our attacking fullbacks.
      Think about why we havenā€™t conceded a goal at home in ages and are on a roll.
      We are a team of roles, components, of actions and reactions...of excitement and of resilience.
      That comes from the adherement to the full spectrum of being a successful team
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #428: Aug 14, 2018 07:06:00 am
      Oh, and anyone who doesnā€™t understand how good Hendo is needs to think about how much they love our front three and how that attacking freedom comes about.
      Think about how we praise our attacking fullbacks.
      Think about why we havenā€™t conceded a goal at home in ages and are on a roll.
      We are a team of roles, components, of actions and reactions...of excitement and of resilience.
      That comes from the adherement to the full spectrum of being a successful team

OH, like Sunday?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #429: Aug 14, 2018 08:23:10 am
      Piano carriers. Piano movers.

Sir Elton John and Billy Preston is/was great creating beautiful melodies on the keyboards, but I wouldn't hire either of them to get my Richmond Upright to the Premier League trophy award ceremony in top condition. Other talents are needed for that.

And btw, we're not going to have the top player in the world at all 11 positions. We just want to have the players best suited to move Klopp's master plan forward to victory. I think we're getting very close to having that.

Wouldn't a piano carrier be the same as a piano mover, what is the difference there?  As for the point I think you are trying to make with your slightly muddled analogy that it takes all sorts to make a team I do agree, but I'm just a bit unclear what Henderson provides these days which is not provided better by Fabinho as DM, and the other midfielders as CM and AM.
      As I have stated before Henderson is still a very valuable member of the squad, much as Milner is, but he's no longer core or key to the team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #430: Aug 14, 2018 08:28:00 am
      First off, it wasn't me, secondly, and most importantly, if you call who you think is your Man of the Match an 'MVP' then you're a bad f***in lizard.

OK so all Americans are bad lizards then, whatever the F**k that means?
      I use both terms, MVP and MOTM, interchangeably as they mean exactly the same thing, bloody hell the things people get worked up about!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #431: Aug 14, 2018 11:01:54 am
      OK so all Americans are bad lizards then, whatever the f**k that means?
      I use both terms, MVP and MOTM, interchangeably as they mean exactly the same thing, bloody hell the things people get worked up about!
      Haha donā€™t take it personally mate, we just find these things strange to hear in relation to football. I was watching a clip of Rooney tracking back and making a tackle and the US commentator said something like, ā€œWhat a collision by Rooneyā€. Probably perfectly normal but just sounds a bit strange to our ears.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #432: Aug 14, 2018 11:05:09 am
      That was probably the most complete performance of the weekend by a long way.  For a first game we played like we had never been away.

I gave my MOTM to Naby.  I thought he was excellent and his ability to play in tight spaces was impressive and he will only get better as the season goes on.

I think that our depth is looking quite good, and we have options for different types of opponents.  We will play much better sides than West Ham, but I also think that we made them look worse than they are.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #433: Aug 14, 2018 11:47:18 am
      What are you talking about?

Dalglish signed him and was therefore always going to play him.

Gerrards legs went under Brendan and he was then played in a different role. Henderson was played alongside him to do his donkey work and cover the ground Stevie no longer could.

Brendan couldn't upgrade him because he didn't have the pull to bring players in. Other positions were seen as a priorirty too.

Klopp came in and didn't want to disturb things. He gave EVERYBODY in the squad a second chance and all slates were wiped.

He's now had time to look at things and evaluate where we're at. We have finished fourth back to back with almost identical point tallys. Reached a few finals but fell short.

Now this summer we signed not one, but two midfielders and he was desperate for that third too.

Oh and England have horrific options to play in centre mid. The only world class player they have nowadays is Harry Kane. It is not opinion, it is fact, if every player who plays in the premiership now was English then Henderson would be nowhere near that team and you just look like a fool to suggest otherwise.

Always some silly excuse and tortured logic  :laugh:

I just love as well how people ignore his stats, and then try to twist them to suit their agenda.
      You lot are funny  :laugh:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #434: Aug 14, 2018 01:07:23 pm
      On a side note, can anyone tell me who the Blonde honey is that was sitting near the bench area, behind where JĆ¼rgen was standing? She was smoking hot.

:o :o :o :o

I clocked that too - she was exceedingly fine  :)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #435: Aug 14, 2018 02:27:56 pm
      Wouldn't a piano carrier be the same as a piano mover, what is the difference there?  As for the point I think you are trying to make with your slightly muddled analogy that it takes all sorts to make a team I do agree, but I'm just a bit unclear what Henderson provides these days which is not provided better by Fabinho as DM, and the other midfielders as CM and AM.
      As I have stated before Henderson is still a very valuable member of the squad, much as Milner is, but he's no longer core or key to the team.

shame on me for totallu botching it.

Piano carriers. Piano PLAYERS.

Now I wish I had left this pointless part of the discussion alone. Henderson remains a very important part of the team and whatever success we gain this season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #436: Aug 14, 2018 02:46:55 pm
      I clocked that too - she was exceedingly fine  :)

First game of the season and pair if randy fuckers eyeing up some pussy, i swear LFC fans of today just don't get it do they ?......

....She did have nice puppies tho 😁

YNWA

Quick Reply