Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      8 (5.3%)
      James Milner
      67 (44.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.7%)
      Naby Keïta
      39 (26%)
      Sadio Mane
      33 (22%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Aug 16, 2018 03:21:38 pm

Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26523 times
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Aug 12, 2018 08:31:02 pm
      Boss that.

Reminded me of how old United teams just went through the motions and got the job done.

We can play several gears higher too. And the bench is our strongest in my lifetime.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #346: Aug 12, 2018 08:38:14 pm
      Quote from ConzS
      Not conceded a premier league goal at Anfield since February 24th. That’s 6 PL home games in a row with a clean sheet.

And the doubters insist we can't put away cannon fodder at home.... 2 home league games drawn in 2018, every other one has brought 3 points. We're now 22 home league games unbeaten.

I wanted us to send a statement out to every pundit out there, (including our own) who have crowned City champions before a ball has even been kicked. I predicted 5-0, if we scored early. Well we did, and it should have been at least 5. It was our biggest opening day win at home since 1932. So I hope they've got the message. We mean business.

Also, very happy with the new camera angle, so credit to the club for putting the new position in. It's much more comfortable to watch a game from, than the one used in the past 2 years.

We're top of the league with a +4 goal difference. So let's head down to that dilapidated tip and send another statement to the pundits who have wrote us off already, next week.
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2018 08:45:33 pm by lfc across the water »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #347: Aug 12, 2018 08:40:32 pm
      Not conceded a premier league goal at Anfield since February 24th. That’s 6 PL home games in a row with a clean sheet.

When did Karius come into the side? End of January was it?  :f_whistle:  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #348: Aug 12, 2018 08:43:42 pm
      Kid who ran on the pitch....5....bit slow and was easily caught by the stewards, but Mo handled it well...still was a sight better that the bone idle West Ham defence, Pellegrini offered £8million..

😂
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #349: Aug 12, 2018 08:56:02 pm
      Boss that.

Reminded me of how old United teams just went through the motions and got the job done.

We can play several gears higher too. And the bench is our strongest in my lifetime.

I don't like mentioning them too much but it's hard when they've dominated for the majority of the Prem era, but I know exactly what you mean.

Today I felt like it was a performance that the champions would give.

I've mentioned it in my post before but Liverpool teams of late I was always left nervous until the ref blew up, I always felt we could throw the game and drop points even if we were 2 or 3 nil up.  We did plenty of times.

We've always been explosive under klopp but today felt different. I don't want to get carried away after week 1 but we looked like champions.

Very impressed.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #350: Aug 12, 2018 09:01:12 pm
      Did not see the game, at work. I went for a 3  0 win for the Reds, obviously under estimating the striking power, of this new look side. Great to start off with a clean sheet and four goals. Look forward to progress being made throughout another roller coaster season.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #351: Aug 12, 2018 09:22:09 pm
      We certainly breezed past West Ham today, without too much bother.
      The formation was good, the midfield was solid, and somewhat more creative, defence was a rock with two attacking outlets, and the keeper well composed and oozing confidence.
      But what happened to our high intense relentless press ?
      It seems we’ve conceded that a bit, and gone for wining the bill back in midfield a bit more.
      Think that was a tactic just for today’s game, and the high press will return when the boss thinks it’s right, or are we gonna play slightly different this season.
      Also, now we’re on top, can we just stay there all season now please. 😊
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #352: Aug 12, 2018 09:27:14 pm
      https://twitter.com/lfc_lion/status/1028734627383570433?s=21

Keita looks the f**king business. The weight of his through balls... you can’t teach that
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #353: Aug 12, 2018 09:29:26 pm
      Also, can see the sense in resting front 3 being 3-0 up, with a Studge and Shquiri playing so well together pre season. But what was the reason for Hendo coming on ? Resting a player, or just giving him minutes ?
      He gave away 2 potentially dangerous free kicks within 5 mins, trying too hard to impress. Couple of decent, if not great moments, but unnecessary sub for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #354: Aug 12, 2018 09:41:27 pm
      Opening days don't come much better do they? Twatted the opposition going forward, kept them to practically no chances going the other way, no injuries, no red cards, clean sheet, absolute breeze...oh yeah and going top of the League.

We've built on the good pre-season we had with a wonderful performance. And in the process, we went top of the League.

We've picked up from where we left on last season. Front three looking as good as ever, defence looking as good a unit as they have done for a very long time. Midfield being the steady players we've become accustomed to. And a very easy welcome into Premier League football for our new keeper.

It's really difficult to find a fault in our team performance today. It was exceptional. Obviously every player has areas they could of improved upon but as a team it was as close to faultless as you'll find. And after that game, West Ham will be employing "The Chosen One" at the end of December to save them from relegation again.

A faultless performance can't be said for that pr**k of a ref. Absolute disgrace of an official.

Alisson - must admit I can see meself getting worried with this lad because of how cool he is with the ball at his feet. He played the ball out in typical Brazilian fashion - with that one exception that went straight to the West Ham right winger. If teams rush him, I worry. But hopefully he'll prove those doubts wrong. Other than that, the fella was exceptional. I didn't have any worries about him punching the ball from the cross, he got distance on it and with today's balls wobbling as much as they do, it's very difficult for keepers to catch them. Very good debut.

Alexander-Arnold - wasn't young Trent's finest day but I thought he did well enough. Kept their record signing Anderson quiet, so much so that he had to change flanks. Then kept Antonio quiet for the most part. Defensively he was more than alright and for a full back, that'll do me. His offensive play was a little off today, some really poor crosses but I'll settle for that from my right back.

Gomez - first real outing as a centre-half for us and didn't put a foot wrong. With Trent on the right, Virgil beside him and Robbo on the left, there's only one spot left in the back four and if young Joe can maintain that level of performance then he's first in line to take it. A lot of us have always liked Joe Go and felt he was better suited to centre half, today justified Jürgen's trust in him. Brilliant performance Joey.

Van Dijk - another faultless performance from the big man. Very assured. It's becoming the norm from the Dutchman. He's marshalling that young back line into a top quality defensive unit. Strong, commanding, calm, everything you want from a defender.[/b]

Robertson - very quickly becoming the best left back in the world. Fantastic performance, both ends of the field. Like Trent on the other side, he kept their wingers quiet, no matter which one he was up against. Got up the field and supported Mane the way a full back should. His delivery was spot on. Always in the right position. Best left back we've had in the Premier League era.

Wijnaldum - a very understated performance, the type that some of our midfielders over the years would be proud of. Doing all the simple things exceptionally well. Didn't perform as well when Henderson came on and he was pushed further forward but as the deepest of the three in the first half, he was outstanding. Kept the ball ticking over, won the ball back numerous times, an unfashionable but vital performance from our Gini.

Milner - I can see why he won man of the match, both on the forum and from Andy F***ing Hinchcliffe (why is he commentating?). It was an excellent performance from the elder statesman of the team. He's given the boss a real headache in regards to who to pick for Palace next Monday. After a performance like that, he really deserves to keep his place. Fantastic pull back for Mane's first. I thought this year he was going to be very limited in terms of his game time but if he can continue that vein of form then he's gonna get a lot more than I thought he would.

Keita - after 90 minutes of competitive football in a Red shirt, I can safely say that lad has something special about him. He was my man of the match just because it was his debut. I weren't expecting such a high standard from the off but Naby just fitted into the side like a hand to a glove. Assured in his passing, just one dodgy effort on his left foot. Didn't get stuck in as much as I was expecting. After reading about his performances in Germany, I was expecting somebody who just dived into tackles but he looked like he picked his tackles with a lot of maturity today.

Salah - hardly the outstanding performance we've come to expect from our Egyptian King but still an easy seven or eight out of ten. A well taken goal. The interchanging play between him Firmino and Mane was a joy to see. Three months since the last time we saw it and it's like nothing has changed. Still as threatening as they've always been.

Firmino a lot of hustle and bustle today but never looked that much of a threat to their goal. Very unselfish performance though. Worked for the team throughout. Might not be what some of us consider a true centre forward but you can't deny the fella's work ethic. Truth be told, I'd rather Sturridge came on for him but that's just because I felt Danny's form in pre-season had earned him some game time if not to start.

Mane - excellent by our new number 10. Two very well taken goals. The first was slightly behind him so to turn it in was very good indeed. Didn't try and do too much with it, just knocked it into the net. And the second was a great instinctive strike. Always looked to threaten their defence, linked up well with his team mates and richly deserved the two goals. More of the same going forward Sadio.

Henderson - looked to pick up from his form at the end of the season rather than his World Cup displays. For England his passing was much more forward thinking, for us he's a lot more conservative but it works. Keeps the ball moving and always finds himself in acres of space, which is why his passing frustrates a lot of people. But a good run out for a lad who hardly had any pre-season time. Probably starts on the bench against Palace as well.

Shaqiri - the new lad is going to find his time on the pitch limited. He's joined a club that has the best front line in the world. But he looked like when he did come on that he'll fit right in. Some clever runs, nice touches and neat passes. If he can perform like that then when he is called upon I have no fear he'll do a job for us.

Sturridge - made up he got his goal. Could of had another as well. He's carried his pre-season form into the season. Jürgen has a real decision to make now about who starts up top. Six goals in pre-season and one with his first touch in the League almost forces Danny into our starting XI. And it was his goal that took us top. Well done Dan.

Overall, it's hard to do anything but F***ing smile from ear to ear. It's great to see the Reds back in action, especially when we perform like that. Looking like the Champions we are. Sitting top of the League from day F***ing one.

Thank you Reds. Thank you Jürgen. Thank you Liverpool Football Club.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #355: Aug 12, 2018 09:48:02 pm
      Also, can see the sense in resting front 3 being 3-0 up, with a Studge and Shquiri playing so well together pre season. But what was the reason for Hendo coming on ? Resting a player, or just giving him minutes ?
      He gave away 2 potentially dangerous free kicks within 5 mins, trying too hard to impress. Couple of decent, if not great moments, but unnecessary sub for me.
      It was always going to happen, we got a few world class midfielders now so Henderson can't get in the starting lineup. He was desperate to show he had more to his game, but he really doesn't. His chances of getting into the starting lineup with a fully fit squad is close to 0. Don't get me wrong, happy to have Henderson... but on the bench or in a league cup game. We need the captain to be an automatic starter. It's time for VVD to get the armband.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #356: Aug 12, 2018 09:56:16 pm
      It was always going to happen, we got a few world class midfielders now so Henderson can't get in the starting lineup. He was desperate to show he had more to his game, but he really doesn't. His chances of getting into the starting lineup with a fully fit squad is close to 0. Don't get me wrong, happy to have Henderson... but on the bench or in a league cup game. We need the captain to be an automatic starter. It's time for VVD to get the armband.

I think he can get into the starting 11 and ahead of Milner in the box-box role, but not as the deepest midfielder, It's Wijnaldum, Keita or Fabinho for me, but I am sure Klopp sees it differently!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #357: Aug 12, 2018 09:56:38 pm

Ideal opportunity to give him minutes
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #358: Aug 12, 2018 10:07:22 pm
      Firmino a lot of hustle and bustle today but never looked that much of a threat to their goal. Very unselfish performance though. Worked for the team throughout. Might not be what some of us consider a true centre forward but you can't deny the fella's work ethic. Truth be told, I'd rather Sturridge came on for him but that's just because I felt Danny's form in pre-season had earned him some game time if not to start.

Henderson - looked to pick up from his form at the end of the season rather than his World Cup displays. For England his passing was much more forward thinking, for us he's a lot more conservative but it works. Keeps the ball moving and always finds himself in acres of space, which is why his passing frustrates a lot of people. But a good run out for a lad who hardly had any pre-season time. Probably starts on the bench against Palace as well.

Shaqiri - the new lad is going to find his time on the pitch limited. He's joined a club that has the best front line in the world. But he looked like when he did come on that he'll fit right in. Some clever runs, nice touches and neat passes. If he can perform like that then when he is called upon I have no fear he'll do a job for us.
      To say Shaqiri will find his pitch time limited is a bit harsh. He has just got here and shown promising signs, I've been more impressed with him than Henderson to be honest. Hendo in the WC was around average.. not stand out but did an okay job. Same as his whole Liverpool career. Firmino did a lot of off the ball work, he opens spaces. Sturridge starting is a ridiculous idea, sorry to be blunt but it has to be said. If he started today, we would no longer have him on the bench as a great impact striker, instead he would be on the injury list again. Klopp probably wanted to test how good he can be coming off the bench, I would say he was good. Firmino will always start ahead of Sturridge because he has stamina. One goal coming off the bench shouldn't make people forget Sturridge needs more protection than most players. We all know his quality and his weakness too.. Klopp is trying to manage that. I would consider Firmino a true centre foward, people have some stupid idea he is not and I don't know where it is from. He gets goals, he gets assists, he works hard for the team.. he pulls defenders out when off the ball so Mane and Salah can get goals. He is very valuable forward. He has been consistently good.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #359: Aug 12, 2018 10:10:00 pm

Hendo will still have a big season. Yes he has more competition and has to up his influence on the game. I believe he can do that and will play a big part. If he starts 25+ league games it won't be a surprise. Saying he has no chance is wrong. He's under pressure but he will still figure in plenty of games.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #360: Aug 12, 2018 10:15:14 pm
      Ideal opportunity to give him minutes
      This is strange though because Lallana needs minutes too.
      I would say Lallana will be more important than Henderson this season.
      Later in the season when we want to rest small knocks to Mane etc... Lallana can be used.
      If we want to rest midfielders like Keita, Fabinho or Milner etc... there are many options.. Shaqiri, Ox, Gini and even Lallana etc... in addition to Henderson.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #361: Aug 12, 2018 10:18:25 pm
      Hendo will still have a big season. Yes he has more competition and has to up his influence on the game. I believe he can do that and will play a big part. If he starts 25+ league games it won't be a surprise. Saying he has no chance is wrong. He's under pressure but he will still figure in plenty of games.
      The only way Henderson will have a big season is if he plays like he did when Suarez was here. Other than this, I think the competition will bench him. I'm expecting this to be an unpopular opinion, but how often did we say we have nothing in midfield last season, then look what we have now. Now we have some real quality, I doubt that quality will be second choice. I don't think any of that starting 11 will change for the Palace game. There is a chance Hendo might get a game minutes against Brighton if any first choice midfielders look leggy. 25 games is reasonable I think. 12 PL, 5 League Cup, 4 FA cup, 4 CL. Some appearances as subs. Sounds about right.
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2018 10:26:33 pm by Ribapuru »
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #362: Aug 12, 2018 10:23:13 pm
      That was a great performance. Controlled the game start to finish. It was very classy and professional, full of quality too.

We looked like champions. West Ham never looked like they would trouble us at any point in the game and do not be fooled, they're a very good side them. The liverpool of old I would be nervous throughout the game, even at 2-0 or 3-0. I'd still be thinking we could throw this away. But not now. It was a proper confident and dominant performance that I would associate with champions it really was. I was very, very impressed.

I thought Alisson had a good game. He had very little to do but already he brings a much needed calmness to the back four. It's so refreshing to see a keeper come off his line and catch the ball too, I can't remember the last time I saw a Liverpool goalkeeper do that. He's very good on the ball and plays it out from the back.

As usual, I thought both the full backs did very well. Trent and Robbo both got forward very well and they are crucial to our attack, but they're both excellent defenders too and marked their men completely out the game.

Van dijk didn't put a foot wrong. Excellent as usual. Gomez also had a good game alongside him too. I thought he looked more natural at centre half today. He made one mistake in the first half where he was playing their striker on and he misjudged the flight of the pass but other than that he was fine, played well.

I was very impressed with the midfield three. Keita and Milner in particular were excellent but Wijnaldum had a good game too. I think they all got in the box at some point which was really pleasing to see and they interchanged and swapped around with each other perfectly. We saw glimpses today of how good keita can be and what a player we have on our books.

The front three were just the typical front three. They caused West Ham all kind of problems and were clinical wen they needed to be.

Couldn't have got off to a better start. It was perfect that performance and were sitting top of the league. Well done reds.

On the role of TAA. When he first came in Salah was playing much wider down the right. About the time Coutinho left, Klopp moved Salah inside, closer to Bob Firmino.

In today's game Salah was almost playing leading striker, with Bob moving either side of him and that left space down the right. TAA didn't quite get his crosses right today but he had plenty of space and Milner also played more down the right. It's very effective. Last season Milner was more down the left linking up with Mane.

Mane now links up with Naby and Robbo with Milner operating central to right hand side. Milner has that experience as a winger so for me he would get the nod over Gini if Fabinho or Hendo come back in.

It's vital for midfield to give solid support down the right or the left. In that sense Shaq might get in in a more attacking line up. With Naby Klopp can move Milner down the right or put Shaq in there. So many options but the midfield must be on the front foot.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #363: Aug 12, 2018 10:23:35 pm
      Anybody knowing why Fabinho didn't play at all?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #364: Aug 12, 2018 10:27:21 pm
      Anybody knowing why Fabinho didn't play at all?

No idea why he didn't start, but I'm guessing he didn't come on because giving Hendo minutes was more important as Fabinho already has a lot under his belt.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Liverpool "unluckiest" PL team & Manchester United "luckiest", says stud
      Reply #365: Aug 12, 2018 10:37:06 pm
      So we got lucky with Mane's second goal so it's...

Liverpool 1 Var 0..

try and keep score as we go thru the season..

Yeah it was definitely offside.  Did it change the course of the game though? I suspect not.  I bet we don't get given any offside goals given when it's 0-0 with a minute to go ;)

And actually Balbuena was exceptionally fortunate he didn't get a second yellow card for the stamp on Mane.  If he hadn't just got his first yellow card a minute or so before the referee might have looked at that differently IMO.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #366: Aug 12, 2018 10:43:58 pm
      Get the F**k in. Great start to the Season. Long may it continue.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #367: Aug 12, 2018 10:46:51 pm
      The lads hardly broke a sweat today they made it look effortless and with the strength of the bench i'm confident we'll be fighting for the title.A good win and a clean sheet what more could we ask for.

Quick Reply