Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      8 (5.3%)
      James Milner
      67 (44.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.7%)
      Naby Keïta
      39 (26%)
      Sadio Mane
      33 (22%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Aug 16, 2018 03:21:38 pm

Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26494 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Aug 12, 2018 11:07:09 pm
      Just finished watching on recording. Wonderful start to the season and echoing most of what has been said about individual performances. As good as they were, the sum was still greater than the parts, just the way Jürgen likes it.

And another week of training can make us even sharper as a few of the boys are still getting up to speed re match fitness.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #369: Aug 12, 2018 11:14:05 pm
      Can't ask for anything more than that brilliant start!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #370: Aug 13, 2018 12:12:23 am
      Anyone know where I could watch the full game? Had work earlier
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #371: Aug 13, 2018 12:43:25 am
      That result was the start to the new season we all wanted,what was good was the way we never stopped trying to score another goal. Sturridge showed that same determination scored a goal and was hungry for more.Well done Jürgen Klopp and our REDS.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #372: Aug 13, 2018 12:46:17 am
      good thing about this game was it didn't seem before the game like there was any question about us winning it and by a fair margin. We did just that. West Ham under Pellegrini will become a footballing side so they will perhaps start slower. Other teams are getting ready for relegation already so they will start like quick and hope to get some points before the inevitable slump as the season goes on. Expect a physical game at Palace.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #373: Aug 13, 2018 01:06:05 am
      Despite living offsides in every game he plays
      Despite holding the ball for too many dribbles instead of passing it off in every game he plays
      Mane is the focal point of this offense.
      He is the best athlete on the field most afternoons and is the one player that can break down defenses singlehandedly.
      He's not perfect
      Often too much ambition
      And again, he lives offsides
      But Mane is the straw that is stirring this drink
      Salah is the finisher
      Milner is the pro's pro
      Robertson will be making the biggest leap forward this year....the game has started to slow down for him.

Just love the full throttle Liverpool mindset
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #374: Aug 13, 2018 02:37:42 am
      A couple things worth noting though. West Ham played exactly how we want such teams to play us. They have an intent to play football, but we can stop that early enough with our relentlessness.

In the end, they essentially leave only one forward player (meaning keeping possession and creating genuine counterattacks is incredibly hard), but they don't exactly park the bus either in a relentlessly disciplined way (like teams we struggled against last year). And so there was plenty of room for our players to work between the lines for much of the game.

Palace will provide a different challenge. They are likely to keep two up front (probably Zaha and Benteke), and that totally changes how we can play our game. Their two forwards won't just be hanging around our two CBs and DM, allowing our two FBs to push up practically whenever they want and give us our width to allow the front three to have the fluidity Klopp wants.

It is likely Benteke will mainly occupy a central position but Zaha will pop up wider left more. And so TAA will have to be just as wary of the threat of that with the likes of Schlupp and Van Aanholt working off Zaha, as Palace will have to be of Salah and TAA.

Andros Townsend will also try to position himself a little narrower when he can and try to counter from that space between our DM and Robbo, while Milivojevic and McArthur will probably be much more disciplined in the middle of the park, dropping a little deeper and closing that space in front of their CBs. So this will be a good test for us away from home.

I also think it's worth noting that the three teams that probably provide the worst traffic for our Ferrari system are the three teams that got relegated last year. Instead of 6 games against teams who can be quite relentless in parking the bus, we now have as many games against teams who all want to play in their own ways.

Both Wolves and Fulham I believe would struggle to get their players disciplined in parking the bus for one off games, while Cardiff might be able to, but I see them doing so to the standard of Huddersfield when they tried to do so as the year progressed.

So while I think we need to wait to see how we go against teams that park the bus with discipline and those who counter with at least two forwards, I think the style of play of teams we're playing against this year will help us challenge Man City for the title (don't forget Sarri's Chelsea may be easier on the eye and perhaps more dangerous than Conte's, but will be much more vulnerable to us when we play them with our intensity).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #375: Aug 13, 2018 07:38:51 am
      Not the biggest fan of him but I thought Gini was magnificent and let us play so freely. Held that midfield together so well and rotated around with Naby and Milly effortlessly.

Milly was best on the pitch for mine. Immense.

Naby superb.

And I feel like our midfield let our front three dominate so effortlessly rather than the front three’s brilliance flattering our midfield. They were so good in the centre of the pitch.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #376: Aug 13, 2018 08:11:41 am
      This year is going to be special. Never been this optimistic with our team. What a great opening day performance this was. Haven't conceded a goal in the premier league at Anfield since February too.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #377: Aug 13, 2018 09:04:53 am
      Fantastic match, Naby is monster. Really liked our pressing in first half, W.H. didnt have any chance.

Real test starts now with some hard away matches. We will have a lot more info if we are ready for EPL title challenge.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #378: Aug 13, 2018 09:28:27 am
      Was hoping that we sent statement to others with first game and boy did we do it.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #379: Aug 13, 2018 09:35:52 am
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #380: Aug 13, 2018 09:44:45 am
      Yeah it was definitely offside.  Did it change the course of the game though? I suspect not.  I bet we don't get given any offside goals given when it's 0-0 with a minute to go ;)

And actually Balbuena was exceptionally fortunate he didn't get a second yellow card for the stamp on Mane.  If he hadn't just got his first yellow card a minute or so before the referee might have looked at that differently IMO.

I never understand this from referees, if its a yellow then its a yellow, even if that leads to a red or the first yellow was 1 minute or 60 minutes ago, there should be no subjective thought on this.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #381: Aug 13, 2018 09:48:30 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #382: Aug 13, 2018 10:15:37 am
      I never understand this from referees, if its a yellow then its a yellow, even if that leads to a red or the first yellow was 1 minute or 60 minutes ago, there should be no subjective thought on this.

I know it's so frustrating that isn't it.  You could argue that it should even make it more likely, not less, to get a yellow for stupidity of carrying out another bad tackle so soon after the first.

It's a bit like they way the severity of fouls in the area are different to the middle of the pitch. 
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #383: Aug 13, 2018 10:21:42 am
      On yesterday's performance mate it was totally understandable.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #384: Aug 13, 2018 10:28:24 am
      It was a great opening performance. We even had alot left in reserve.
      What i enjoyed most was the control with which we played. Often in the past we would constantly spray the ball across the park and diagonally instead of simply keeping possession and managing the match. I think this was largely the reason for the purchase of Keita. He simply oozes confidence on the ball, knows when to run forward and commit defenders and knows when to simply slow the game down and keep possession. This is what i enjoyed most and is what i believe will be the difference for us in grinding out a win or managing a tough match.
      Milner was my Motm, however special mention to Sadio and Robertson as well who were both excellent.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #385: Aug 13, 2018 11:53:54 am
      Forgot to mention it yesterday but Anthony Taylor's performance was pretty atrocious (again). One of the worst referees in the league with maybe only Jon Moss pipping him to the unceremonious title of worst in the league. Gifted us an offside goal but was still West Ham's most effective player. English refereeing really is dire.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #386: Aug 13, 2018 12:08:10 pm
      Good game, played well, and showed Pellgrini the folly of giving 5 players a debut against us.

Early signs from Keita look good, Milner and Wijnaldum also very impressive.

Pass of the match was TAA into Keita, it was a thing of beauty.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #387: Aug 13, 2018 12:43:15 pm
      I cant ever remember seeing 3 Liverpool players inside the 6 yard box with the opposition just standing there looking at them .
      The next game will be a good test and a good win over Roy( was he really our manager or was it like the shower scene in Dallas) is always nice.

Its hard to criticise any of yesterdays performance it was as solid as you could hope for in the first game and you could see the improvement in touch and movement as the game went on. 7 day wait for the next game how will we cope
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #388: Aug 13, 2018 12:45:02 pm
      The only way Henderson will have a big season is if he plays like he did when Suarez was here. Other than this, I think the competition will bench him. I'm expecting this to be an unpopular opinion, but how often did we say we have nothing in midfield last season, then look what we have now. Now we have some real quality, I doubt that quality will be second choice. I don't think any of that starting 11 will change for the Palace game. There is a chance Hendo might get a game minutes against Brighton if any first choice midfielders look leggy. 25 games is reasonable I think. 12 PL, 5 League Cup, 4 FA cup, 4 CL. Some appearances as subs. Sounds about right.

Not an unpopular opinion mate, the versatility and the quality we saw from Milner / Gini / Keita trio yesterday proves your point. I can't see Hendo as a regular starter tbh and neither should he be. When Fabinho starts to integrate into the team and Ox comes back, I'd say Hendo will start to look even more average. I agree, we should keep him if we want to challenge for all cups, but he's got to get used to making starting appearances against the likes of Brighton and Wolves rather than City et al.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #389: Aug 13, 2018 12:54:32 pm
      Forgot to mention it yesterday but Anthony Taylor's performance was pretty atrocious (again). One of the worst referees in the league with maybe only Jon Moss pipping him to the unceremonious title of worst in the league. Gifted us an offside goal but was still West Ham's most effective player. English refereeing really is dire.

How is is not considered a conflict of interest for a Manc to officiate a Liverpool game?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #390: Aug 13, 2018 01:10:14 pm
      Not an unpopular opinion mate, the versatility and the quality we saw from Milner / Gini / Keita trio yesterday proves your point. I can't see Hendo as a regular starter tbh and neither should he be. When Fabinho starts to integrate into the team and Ox comes back, I'd say Hendo will start to look even more average. I agree, we should keep him if we want to challenge for all cups, but he's got to get used to making starting appearances against the likes of Brighton and Wolves rather than City et al.

Not going to happen.

Regardless of what you and others think, he's club captain, and one of Klopp's favourite players.

He'll be a main part of our team all season, unless injuries limit him.

Quick Reply