Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

100 Premier League games, 50 Premier League Goals - Daniel Sturridge

Read 1709 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,948 posts | 3330 
      100 Premier League games, 50 Premier League Goals - Daniel Sturridge
      Aug 13, 2018 12:24:44 am
      So after coming off the bench today against West Ham, Danny Sturridge made his 99th Premier League appearance for the club. So when he takes to the field again in the League, he will join the elite club of players to have made a century of appearances in the Premier League for Liverpool Football Club. He'll become the 44th player to do so and he will be one of six men currently at the club to hit that milestone along with Henderson (208), Mignolet (155), Lovren (108), Firmino (104) and Lallana (100).

And after scoring with his first touch of today's game, Danny scored his 49th Premier League goal for the club. Leaving him one short of another milestone. And this time he's in with a more select few as only six men have previously scored 50 or more Premier League goals for Liverpool. Fowler (128), Gerrard (120) Owen (118), Suarez (69), Torres (65), Kuyt (51). And they are undoubtedly six of Liverpool's best over the Premier League era so to join them would be a remarkable achievement for our number 15.

A goal every other game, given how many games he's come off early due to injuries or only played a handful of minutes in due to being a sub and returning from injury is some going.

Such a shame he can't stay fit because if he could his record would be even more impressive than it currently is.
      +10
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: 100 Premier League games, 50 Premier League Goals - Daniel Sturridge
      Reply #1: Aug 13, 2018 01:19:43 pm
      I think there's a difference in Sturridge this season. Just listening and reading his pre-season interviews, the way he's playing in the team, it looks like the penny has dropped that this is his last chance to stay at the highest level for the next few years.

The comment that struck for me was how going away to West Brom enabled him to look at this team from the outside - to watch Firmino in particular play that centre forward role in the way that he does, and learn from it.

"When I went away I learned too. That’s also a good thing. When you’re not involved in the environment you learn a lot about yourself, the team, watching from afar and seeing how the team are playing. You can learn more when you’re outside the environment.

“I learned a lot watching the games the boys were playing in and also being away and being in a different team’s environment and seeing how they work too.”

He also mentions going away to West Brom, where he experienced a different environment and my guess is he realises what an opportunity it is being around this manager and this group of players at the moment.

It's almost a cliche now but a fit and motivated Sturridge is a massive addition to the squad, and that's shown in the stats you've posted DLS. Having him and Shaqiri to rotate with the front three will be so important this season.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #2: Aug 13, 2018 09:54:30 pm
      If he could stay fit and coming off the bench when we can't break down teams he could be the difference with an extra 6-9 points on the table. He's that good when fit it's saddening to see such talent going to waste.Lets hope that he manages his fitness a lot better this time around.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #3: Aug 13, 2018 10:21:30 pm
      He’s a huge upgrade on Ings and Solanke (no disrespect to those lads)

He is the kind of player that frightens the sh*t out of defenders due to his movement and sublime touches.

He’s going to be great when he starts the odd game plus has the ability to really crank up the pressure when we struggle to break teams down (Chelsea away last season is a prime example, he would have been perfect for that game)
      DanMann

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #4: Aug 13, 2018 10:40:27 pm

The comment that struck for me was how going away to West Brom enabled him to look at this team from the outside - to watch Firmino in particular play that centre forward role in the way that he does, and learn from it.

Does he say that? I've not read those comments.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6638 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Aug 13, 2018 11:55:30 pm
      Come on stay fit Danny, you do, you could end up with 10-15 goals easily.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Aug 14, 2018 12:12:19 am
      I think there's a difference in Sturridge this season. Just listening and reading his pre-season interviews, the way he's playing in the team, it looks like the penny has dropped that this is his last chance to stay at the highest level for the next few years.

He also mentions going away to West Brom, where he experienced a different environment and my guess is he realises what an opportunity it is being around this manager and this group of players at the moment.

It's almost a cliche now but a fit and motivated Sturridge is a massive addition to the squad, and that's shown in the stats you've posted DLS. Having him and Shaqiri to rotate with the front three will be so important this season.

This is spot on for sure, I think the West Brom move has actually been incredibly beneficial to both us and Dan - not for on the field reasons exactly, but more how it has awoken him to just how good it is to be at Liverpool right now in comparison to almost any other option.

Think about it - he just spent 6 months in a dogged relegation battle environment, where simply trying to survive is as exciting as it's gonna get. Where scrapping a point against a team like us is the absolute highlight of the month. Where, when you ultimately end up going down anyway, your fans are crying in the stands as your team trudges off the field dejected, knowing they're playing at F***ing Millwall, Derby, Rotherham etc next season.

Beyond all that, you realise that - even if you're a damn fine player - playing with absolute dross around you will reduce your game to half chances and F**k all most of the time. As an ageing player with injury history, you need fellas with nous and smarts to get the best out of ya.

He's got that at Liverpool. Even coming off the bench more often than not, he's gonna play a hell of a lot more A+ football in 20-30 minute  cameos than he will playing 70+ at a West Brom type level.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Aug 14, 2018 11:26:24 am
      Does he say that? I've not read those comments.

He doesn't name anyone but considering he's a striker so it's pretty obvious no? He's talking about the team, how we play and what's expected of a centre forward in Klopp's system, so yeah I'd say he was watching Bobby pretty closely!
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2018 11:44:59 am
      Such a shame he can't stay fit because if he could his record would be even more impressive than it currently is.

He's in the final year of his contract, and at Christmas he can go free on a Bosman. I bet you he stays fit, very fit!
      He has two paths open to him, an new or extended contract at LFC., or signing for another P.L. club next summer for a fat fee, especially if he can score twenty goals across all competitions.

Or am I just being jaundiced old me?

Quick Reply