Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Palace [Premier League] Sat 19th Jan @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of January and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W7 D7 L6

League Cup 2018/19 (Carabao Cup)

Read 1980 times
      LMW
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 60 posts | 14 
      Re: League Cup 2018/19 (Carabao Cup)
      Reply #30: Jan 09, 2019 09:30:07 pm
      This game between Citeh and Burton is why there needs to be a proper seeding system in these competitions, absolute joke that Burton got this far in the competition without facing proper competition.

They knocked out a few good teams to be fair: Burnley, Forest, Villa, Middlesbrough. I think they earned their place, I don’t think seeding failed here.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,076 posts | 3027 
      Reply #31: Jan 09, 2019 09:33:16 pm
      Or better still...scrap the whole sorry excuse of a competition. A cup I care little for that just cheapens English football.

make it a competition but for under 23's . I suspect one good CL game with TV is worth more than winning the League Cup.
      Robby The Z
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,967 posts | 563 
      Reply #32: Jan 09, 2019 09:34:15 pm
      Stay classy Man City.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,076 posts | 3027 
      Reply #33: Jan 09, 2019 09:34:48 pm
      They knocked out a few good teams to be fair: Burnley, Forest, Villa, Middlesbrough. I think they earned their place, I don’t think seeding failed here.

it simply isn't valued by clubs as it once was. Paisley realised it was a good way to get an early entry into Europe before the CL sucked the life out of the Uefa Cup and the Cup Winner Cup.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,076 posts | 3027 
      Reply #34: Jan 09, 2019 09:35:54 pm

you could imagine the Kop booing our players not looking for them to humiliate a team like Burton
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,674 posts | 325 
      Reply #35: Jan 09, 2019 09:38:46 pm

I personally would bar the top 6 Prem teams from taking part. At least then the lesser teams would stand a chance. Burton didn’t stand a chance with the team City put out, 9-0 as I type, it’s farcical, and it’s only the first leg!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,989 posts | 2784 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #36: Jan 09, 2019 09:45:55 pm
      Embarrassing.
      LMW
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 60 posts | 14 
      Reply #37: Jan 09, 2019 09:46:16 pm
      I personally would bar the top 6 Prem teams from taking part. At least then the lesser teams would stand a chance. Burton didn’t stand a chance with the team City put out, 9-0 as I type, it’s farcical, and it’s only the first leg!

Agreed. Something needs to be done. I don’t think there’s anything that can be done in terms of the way the teams are drawn out of the hat though. Clubs in the Prem and even the Championship are fielding weak teams in the cups, can’t blame Burton for beating who’s in front of them.

In times like this though there needs to be a boxing equivalent of throwing the towel in the ring...
      LMW
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 60 posts | 14 
      Reply #38: Jan 09, 2019 09:51:55 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,680 posts | 294 
      Reply #39: Jan 09, 2019 09:56:16 pm
      So when we beat up on teams it's all good,some one else does it and there needs to be changes,f***in ell,so whiney about everything now.And i'm aware that's a bit of a whine!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,989 posts | 2784 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40: Jan 09, 2019 11:27:36 pm
      So when we beat up on teams it's all good,some one else does it and there needs to be changes,f***in ell,so whiney about everything now.And i'm aware that's a bit of a whine!

I couldn’t give a damn what the scoreline was, 1-0 or 9-0, makes no difference to me because in one game Burton wouldn’t have had a chance so over two games they were never going to go through. My point was how god damn lucky they have been with the draws this season.

If anything, hopefully this result leads to them being complacent when they play Wolves.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,684 posts | 2640 
      Reply #41: Jan 09, 2019 11:35:24 pm

Well you know what applying FFP would be a start!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,114 posts | 1433 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #42: Jan 09, 2019 11:59:34 pm
      you could imagine the Kop booing our players not looking for them to humiliate a team like Burton

Remember the 10-0 v fulham, 8-0 v swansea, 7-1 v york . 8 nil at stoke etc.no booing then.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,114 posts | 1433 
      Reply #43: Jan 10, 2019 12:04:16 am
      Some people with short memories, had a few great days out through the league cup, yet now we have this garbage about it being meaningless. A trophy is a trophy and this pl and cl are the only thing that matters is something that really gets my goat.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,684 posts | 2640 
      Reply #44: Jan 10, 2019 12:07:57 am
      Some people with short memories, had a few great days out through the league cup, yet now we have this garbage about it being meaningless. A trophy is a trophy and this pl and cl are the only thing that matters is something that really gets my goat.

But why, surely you can see we don’t have the resources of the plastics or Utd, just look at our defensive issues at the moment!

Which tournaments do you think we prioritise?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,114 posts | 1433 
      Reply #45: Jan 10, 2019 12:18:53 am
      But why, surely you can see we don’t have the resources of the plastics or Utd, just look at our defensive issues at the moment!

Which tournaments do you think we prioritise?

Would you say spurs or chelsea have a much deeper squad than us ?. No i wouldn't,  people are talking about having less games being an advantage , we are talking 2 or 3 games a month which is hardly massive. Injuries can happen at anytime so this nonsense about worrying about players actually playing in case they get injured. Perhaps also you shouldn't be weakening the squad in january.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,684 posts | 2640 
      Reply #46: Jan 10, 2019 07:49:48 am
      Would you say spurs or chelsea have a much deeper squad than us ?. No i wouldn't,  people are talking about having less games being an advantage , we are talking 2 or 3 games a month which is hardly massive. Injuries can happen at anytime so this nonsense about worrying about players actually playing in case they get injured. Perhaps also you shouldn't be weakening the squad in january.

So who should have played VVD was not well, Hendo and Lallana both due to play picked up a knock.

I suppose Gini, Robertson and the front 3 who barely every get a break could be run into the ground.

We were just unfortunate to have had a run of injuries at the wrong time simple.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,114 posts | 1433 
      Reply #47: Jan 10, 2019 09:01:16 am
      So who should have played VVD was not well, Hendo and Lallana both due to play picked up a knock.

I suppose Gini, Robertson and the front 3 who barely every get a break could be run into the ground.

We were just unfortunate to have had a run of injuries at the wrong time simple.

Why have the front 3 on the bench if you want to rest them, it was inevitable that they would be used.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,804 posts | 2270 
      Reply #48: Jan 10, 2019 10:27:37 am
      Why have the front 3 on the bench if you want to rest them, it was inevitable that they would be used.

I think the front 3 were back up only, I find it a bit disingenuous to Klopp that he never took the game or cup seriously, if that were the case Klopp would not have bought on Bob & Mo..
      The team he picked is what he believed would have won against Wolves...they failed him..

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,697 posts | 429 
      Reply #49: Jan 10, 2019 10:46:11 am
      I think the front 3 were back up only, I find it a bit disingenuous to Klopp that he never took the game or cup seriously, if that were the case Klopp would not have bought on Bob & Mo..
      The team he picked is what he believed would have won against Wolves...they failed him..

or alternatively, he failed them.

Come on mate, he got it wrong. His setup was a mess. He does make mistakes you know..
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,804 posts | 2270 
      Reply #50: Jan 10, 2019 11:07:04 am
      or alternatively, he failed them.

Come on mate, he got it wrong. His setup was a mess. He does make mistakes you know..

Explain how he failed them.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,697 posts | 429 
      Reply #51: Jan 10, 2019 01:34:33 pm

Too many changes.

We've all been talking about how tough the match is against Wolves at their ground. The consensus was that our recent 2-0 victory was very impressive, and a marker for our title aspirations.

Yet, we went there this time and made 7 changes to our starting lineup (Wolves made 5 changes) and our changes were considerable - including debuts for two 18 year olds. On top of that, we had Fabhino and Milner playing in a different position than they played in the 2-0 victory.

Our previous match had a midfield of Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri, and our forward 3 of Mane, Salah, Firmino (albeit we played a 2-3-1). This time, we played Jones, Keita, Milner, and Shaqiri in a flat 4, with Origi and Sturridge ahead of them. That is a massive difference.

Our back 4 was also a big concern with Moreno, Lovren, Fabinho, Camacho compared with Milner, Lovren, VVD, Robertson in the previous match. As it happens, Lovren lasted minutes and was replaced with a 16 year old Hoever. He played well in parts, but was also open to attack - and Wolves almost, and should have scored from a simple mistake of his.

The team was always going to be very disjointed and struggling to attack with the lack of the ball flow and movement.

Then, on top of that, the formation was completely different to our usual games. Playing a 4-4-2 (or at times a 4-4-1-1) hindered the team. The players themselves didn't seem to know what they were doing in the formation either. At times, I'd see Milner playing in central defence with Camacho AWOL (so no cover on the right side). Looked more like a back 3.

Other times I recall Shaqiri back there helping out. Meanwhile Origi and Sturridge were in the centre circle trying to get a touch of the ball. It was just a complete mess. No wonder why we struggled to create chances.

That was all down to Klopp who set them up for the match.

There's always a lot of luck in football. Sometimes you can make these kind of decisions and get lucky. To be fair, we nearly got lucky in this one - but it didn't work. We lost, and Klopp needs to take accountability for his decisions. He took it too easy against a strong Wolves team, who made fewer changes.   

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,076 posts | 3027 
      Reply #52: Jan 10, 2019 05:44:51 pm
      Remember the 10-0 v fulham, 8-0 v swansea, 7-1 v york . 8 nil at stoke etc.no booing then.
      Plenty of jovial we want 10 chants though the City crowd were in some kind of Frenzy .
      There was a completely different atmosphere in the ground.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,114 posts | 1433 
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2019 05:46:50 pm
      Plenty of jovial we want 10 chants though the City crowd were in some kind of Frenzy .
      There was a completely different atmosphere in the ground.

Like to see crowd in a frenzy or a city crowd full stop

Quick Reply