Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Alisson
      11 (8.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      17 (13.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      69 (53.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (4.7%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.6%)
      Naby Keïta
      9 (7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (3.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (5.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (2.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Aug 24, 2018 09:51:27 pm

Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32370 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Re: Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Aug 21, 2018 10:17:04 am
      Don't know about anyone else what spoiled it somewhat for me was having to listen to Neville spout totally biased opinions about Liverpool and Salah. He is bang out of order saying he left his leg in because he didn't and he didn't dive either. He wasn't hacked down but he did stumble over Sakho's out stretched foot and he then totally disrespected the Shirt and tried to rip it of himself.
      We all know he is a Manc but he is supposed to be a professional pundit not a UTD mouthpiece.

The thing is would you give him the time of day in any other situation?
      Obviously not, the pr**k is opinionated, bigoted and offensive.

Turn the volume down and don't let his bad mouth spoil the footy, done the same thing for years with all commentators.
      The Salah pen is a perfect example, the ref saw contact, contact was shown on the replay without a shadow of doubt. The pr**k ratboy is adamant the player dived!?

Your opinion is no doubt superior to ratboys so why give it the time of day?
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018 10:26:38 am by stuey »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #461: Aug 21, 2018 11:06:10 am
      The thing is would you give him the time of day in any other situation?
      Obviously not, the pr**k is opinionated, bigoted and offensive.

Turn the volume down and don't let his bad mouth spoil the footy, done the same thing for years with all commentators.
      The Salah pen is a perfect example, the ref saw contact, contact was shown on the replay without a shadow of doubt. The pr**k ratboy is adamant the player dived!?

Your opinion is no doubt superior to ratboys so why give it the time of day?

I'm fairly sure Neville agreed it was a penalty didn't he??
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #462: Aug 21, 2018 11:38:03 am
      Don't know about anyone else what spoiled it somewhat for me was having to listen to Neville spout totally biased opinions about Liverpool and Salah. He is bang out of order saying he left his leg in because he didn't and he didn't dive either. He wasn't hacked down but he did stumble over Sakho's out stretched foot and he then totally disrespected the Shirt and tried to rip it of himself.
      We all know he is a Manc but he is supposed to be a professional pundit not a UTD mouthpiece.

I usually enjoy listening to Neville if I'm honest but I do agree with you.

Last night I thought he was a bit of a pr**k. It started with the debate with carragher over how Arsenal play and he was getting all moody and defensive.

I wasn't taking much notice of his commentary or analysis to the game but if he suggested that wasn't a pen or salah went left his leg out looking for it then that's a joke. It was a clear penalty all day long and as much as I love him, it was typical clumsy defending by sakho.

Then at the end with the shirt I thought Neville came across as a right tw*t. He lost a bet and the punishment was to wear the Liverpool shirt. He sneakily brought a united top and brought up a bet he had with carragher years ago and said 'I'm only doing it if he does'. Thought it was childish and petty.

Carragher puts it on no problem saying it's for charity let's do it and even then Neville puts the shirt on backwards and nearly rips it taking it off before throwing it across the desk.

My opinion has changed loads on him since his playing days but last night I thought he was a right knobhead.

Upset because the reds are coming up the hill and united are finishing below Brighton maybe?
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | 15 
      Reply #463: Aug 21, 2018 11:40:01 am
      Where were you last week? Probably waiting for tonight, the first setback. After all, Palace is a "tough away game", isn't it?

Except it didn't happen, did it? If City went there and won 2-0 (as opposed to the 2 points they dropped there last season) everyone would say it's what champions do. When we do it, people say it wasn't good enough.

I don't get the negativity. Seriously. We went there, scored 2 goals, got 3 points, could have scored 3-4 more, defensively sound, clean sheet, and joint top of the league. What's to complain about?

Delighted with the result. People keep telling us it's teams and places like that, where we need to grind out a result. Well we have done exactly that, 5 times running in that kip. So the press and the pundits still have to go back to 2014, to find a time when we didn't win at Palace. Under a completely different manager.

Get in. Got 3 points. Go home and get the next 3 on Saturday. It's about as good a start as we could hope for.

??? I was here last week. Delighted after our opening day win.

Its been a great start to the season, no negativity here. Long may the winning continue no matter how we get it done.

We just need to keep that Alisson, VVD, Gomez triangle. No Lovren, No Matip, No Klavan. This is THE partnership.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #464: Aug 21, 2018 11:44:16 am
      An excellent, professional performance. Dominated from start to finish and despite the odd wobble here and there, kept them at bay for the most part. Never seemed to break sweat.

Two games in, two wins and two clean sheets. Can't be anything but happy with that sort of start to the season. Keep this level of performance up and nobody will be able to stop us.

Two very well taken goals at the end of either half.

Certainly a pen, certainly a red card and certainly a deserved three points for Liverpool Football Club.

Alisson - I said after the West Ham game that this lad is gonna worry me because of how calm he is with the ball at his feet but yesterday's calmness was very welcomed. Whenever the ball was at his feet, he just took an extra second to calm it down then play it to a fellow Liverpool shirt in space. His actual goalkeeping was spot on as well. Held on to everything that was fired in, was decisive when he came for crosses and got to most of them. Starting to prove he was worth the big money spent on him.

Alexander-Arnold - another ok performance from young Trent. Was troubled a couple of times by Zaha and there was one really poor decision where he mistimed his jump at the far post and the ball just went over his head. Offensively he wasn't at his best either. However, he was always the out ball for us. Always wanted the ball. Put in a few good set pieces. And despite being troubled by Zaha, he kept at his task and won a few of the battles as well.

Gomez - just like West Ham, Joe Go looked very assured at centre half. He and Van Dijk are forming a good little partnership at the heart of our defence. No glaringly obvious errors, no real stand out special moments. Just a solid performance, which is what I like from a centre half. Ideally you don't want to see them because it means we're having to do a lot of defending. But what he did have to do, he did with minimal fuss.

Van Dijk - is certainly the leader of the back line and just like the opening day, he's marshalling and moulding a young defence into the best defensive unit we've had for many a year. Over the past ten years or so the big burly centre forward has caused all sorts of trouble. The likes of Drogba, Andy Carroll and even Carlton F***ing Cole have ran our defence raggered. Benteke has traditionally caused us problems but our number 4 yesterday had him in his pocket. Won everything in the air. For all the talk our front three rightfully get, Van Dijk may just be our most important player just because of how he brings the defence together.

Robertson - in the first half I was thinking it was his worst performance in a Liverpool shirt. I don't remember why exactly, I just remember thinking it. But the longer the game went on, the better he got. A bit like Gomez in there was nothing special or glaringly bad from Robbo yesterday just a good solid performance.

Milner - another industrial performance from the old man. Got stuck in as well, which I always like to see. Slotted the pen home with no fuss as well just to calm us down going into half time. A vital part of the team at the minute.

Wijnaldum - continuing his solid start to the season. One exceptional challenge in our box. Very unnoticed yesterday but very important to the team. Unsung hero of the team is our Gini.

Keita - some very promising signs from our new number 8 but I was very disappointed in him in one moment of the game. It was the time where he just casually laid the ball off and it went straight to Townsend who then whipped a shot onto the bar. Now the misplaced pass wasn't what pissed me off, it was his lack of effort to get back and rectify his mistake. He just stood there and showed no desire to win the ball back in that instance. Other than that, he looked very good again.

Salah - was nowhere near his best but always seemed involved. He was wasteful in front of goal but everything else was spot on. Danced his way to winning the penalty. Broke free to get their full back sent off.

Firmino - may as well of not been there yesterday. Hardly saw him and when he was involved he was just giving the ball away. He the worst performer on the pitch for Liverpool in my opinion.

Mane - once again the biggest threat for us going forward. Was involved throughout and deserved his goal, which was very well taken. Could of easily gone down and got them another red card but his desire to score was on show. So he stayed on his feet, rounded the keeper and knocked it in. Great start to the season for Sadio.

Henderson - didn't really do much when he came on but it allowed Gini to move further forward and unlike the West Ham game, it worked better. Gini was better this time round once the skipper came on. Still working his way back to full fitness after very little pre-season time. Will probably be on the bench for Brighton and Leicester then it'll be reassessed after the poxy international break.

Lallana - wasn't on long enough to really be noticed. Was on far too long for my liking though.

Sturridge - didn't have the instant impact this time. 30 seconds of playing time isn't long enough to judge though.

Overall, a solid performance away from home at a ground that we've struggled at over the years. Professional is the word I'd use to describe the performance.

Good start to the season, now we need to keep it up and continue heaping the pressure on those around us. F**k worrying about them, let them worry about us. As long as we win, that's all that matters.

Well in Reds.

Another three points on Saturday if you'd be so kind.
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Reply #465: Aug 21, 2018 12:11:05 pm
      ??? I was here last week. Delighted after our opening day win.

Its been a great start to the season, no negativity here. Long may the winning continue no matter how we get it done.

We just need to keep that Alisson, VVD, Gomez triangle. No Lovren, No Matip, No Klavan. This is THE partnership.

Be very very very hard to pick Klavan
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #466: Aug 21, 2018 12:17:48 pm
      Nope. Refused to take questions, didn't face the press, ran away from the fans. Coward.

Now just because some of us called you out for trying to be a smart ass earlier doesn't mean you have to go digging with similarly impotent results.

Don't think anybody " called me out" over anything. If they have I must have missed it. Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of "the Owl" but I don't see him as being "a nasty piece of work". May be it's just me...I try not to call people names, especially people I don't know personally.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #467: Aug 21, 2018 12:18:59 pm
      Something I want to clear up. I don't think Mane, Milner and Salah was squabbling over the pen, I think Salah was engaged in a heated debate with Sakho and co and Mane just pulled him away.

Echo suggesting Mo was thinking of doing a Fowler and telling the ref it wasn't a penalty. I honestly don't know where they get this stuff, based on something he was saying to Mama while his hand was over his mouth....
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #468: Aug 21, 2018 12:28:45 pm
      Good win at a difficult place. Little bit disjointed at time. Misfiring up front slightly but very solid at the back. Allison coped very well, very cool and collected.Even if or rather when he makes a mess of one it won't affect him to much. Good distribution as well.

Squad looks stronger than it has for a long time.Won't be easy keeping them all happy tho. Some moans about Firmino although I thought he did OK. Robbo could've been a bit more positive, checked back a lot but may be Jürgen didn't want us to get to high on every single attack.

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #469: Aug 21, 2018 12:38:30 pm
      Echo suggesting Mo was thinking of doing a Fowler and telling the ref it wasn't a penalty. I honestly don't know where they get this stuff, based on something he was saying to Mama while his hand was over his mouth....

It was a penalty. There was a clumsy trip by Sakho. He knocked Salah off balance. Fair enough Salah did look to go down easy but Salah is a finely balanced athlete. Balance for players like Salah, Suarez and many more is vital . They do things at speed and they dip and sway this way and that as they try to weave a path thru the bodies. Outstretched legs can impede them and knock them off balance.

The Owl should be annoyed with Sakho for getting that little bit to tight on Mo, then outstretching his legs in an uncontrolled way. Poor defending cost Palace a penalty not Mo diving.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #470: Aug 21, 2018 12:48:56 pm

Oh yes, Lord Klavan is gone now. Sad. :(
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #471: Aug 21, 2018 01:09:07 pm
      Good solid win.

It wasn't pretty, especially as we were a bit wasteful in the first half, but we rarely looked troubled.

VVD MOTM.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #472: Aug 21, 2018 01:17:26 pm
      2 down, 36 to go...
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #473: Aug 21, 2018 01:35:34 pm
      Overall I didn't think that we played that well... Firmino seems to be a little off his game, both this and last match,Gomez,I am not all that convinced by him Keita was a little poor,Salah a little off too,Team overall just seem too be play at 80% of what they are capable of doing... Only Milner, Mane, and TAA looked like they were playing at their best...
      Still we won the game and that's what really counts, although the ref robbed us or the minute lost between the second goal and CP kicking off, could have had a third and be sitting top now  ;D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #474: Aug 21, 2018 01:38:02 pm
      I offer no apologies if this has already been posted.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #475: Aug 21, 2018 02:27:16 pm
      Only two games in but already there is a noticeable difference in not having either Lovren or Henderson in the team.

The defence looks even more assured and solid. VVD and Gomez look like they've been playing together for years.

The midfield are passing the ball forward much more too, especially Keita. They are dominating the play and controlling games by doing so - something that always separated us from the top teams in the past. We didn't keep the ball well enough.

I do feel though that we're still missing that spark who can create something from nothing. If the front three are having an off day (which they did yesterday) then we need some magic or creativity from the middle.

We got a pen and a goal in stoppage time against Palace but on another day we might not have.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #476: Aug 21, 2018 02:41:16 pm
      I think a few of us on the Mane thread said he was going to be awesome this season and will push Mo all the way for top goal scorer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #477: Aug 21, 2018 02:42:13 pm
      I offer no apologies if this has already been posted.

How would ever get tired of seeing that it was just sublime
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #478: Aug 21, 2018 02:54:17 pm
      Massive 3 points for us, a clean sheet is even better.
      We're still awesome despite not playing at our best.
      This season is going to be far more exciting than the last one.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #479: Aug 21, 2018 03:43:06 pm
      Gritty result in the end where our front 3 were not at their best which will happen throughout the season (hope not too much). These are the type of results we will have to pull out from time to time and why we invested heavily in VvD and Alisson to help us bend but not break when we were pushed 2nd half.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #480: Aug 21, 2018 03:59:58 pm
      Well done Reds. What a result.
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | 15 
      Reply #481: Aug 21, 2018 04:12:27 pm

I know  :laugh: I think Klavans days are numbered. (EDIT - Just seen he has moved to Cagliari)

I like both Lovren and Matip but I'd find it frustrating to break up VVD/Gomez when they are clearly building a beautiful partnership at the moment. Between them they have everything.

Obviously we need Joe to stay fit first and foremost (which isnt guaranteed on evidence of last few years) but I do think he has to be starting alongside VVD even if Lovren/Matip are fit.

Gomez Maldini  8) 8)
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018 04:32:47 pm by firminofanboy1 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #482: Aug 21, 2018 04:23:56 pm
      It was a penalty. There was a clumsy trip by Sakho. He knocked Salah off balance. Fair enough Salah did look to go down easy but Salah is a finely balanced athlete. Balance for players like Salah, Suarez and many more is vital . They do things at speed and they dip and sway this way and that as they try to weave a path thru the bodies. Outstretched legs can impede them and knock them off balance.

The Owl should be annoyed with Sakho for getting that little bit to tight on Mo, then outstretching his legs in an uncontrolled way. Poor defending cost Palace a penalty not Mo diving.
      The Palace captain explains Mo was saying it IS a penalty. End of Fowler speculation, which was unfounded anyway.

Quick Reply