Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Alisson
      11 (8.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      17 (13.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      69 (53.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (4.7%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.6%)
      Naby Keïta
      9 (7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (3.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (5.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (2.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Aug 24, 2018 09:51:27 pm

Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32359 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Aug 21, 2018 06:17:37 pm
      The Palace captain explains Mo was saying it IS a penalty. End of Fowler speculation, which was unfounded anyway.

Sakho had 3 or 4 goes, first holding, then trying to pull him back, then a couple of kicks.

It wasn't soft, it's just that we're used to ref's being incompetent.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #484: Aug 21, 2018 07:28:18 pm
      I liked the composure of the midfield and defense. At last, we have leaders in midfield and defense who take responsibilites. Alisson was so calm and confident (Y)

As for the attack, I think we're adopting a new style in which we keep possession and Firmino is finding it hard to adapt for now. I hoped Klopp would have substituted him much earlier.

Good performance, but I think Firmino was out of place in this system. Salah and Mane are still finding their top form but, hey!, they still perform, so far so good :)
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #485: Aug 21, 2018 10:07:35 pm
      Only two games in but already there is a noticeable difference in not having either Lovren or Henderson in the team.

The defence looks even more assured and solid. VVD and Gomez look like they've been playing together for years.

The midfield are passing the ball forward much more too, especially Keita. They are dominating the play and controlling games by doing so - something that always separated us from the top teams in the past. We didn't keep the ball well enough.

I do feel though that we're still missing that spark who can create something from nothing. If the front three are having an off day (which they did yesterday) then we need some magic or creativity from the middle.

We got a pen and a goal in stoppage time against Palace but on another day we might not have.

Lovren is a half decent defender but his biggest fault is he dives in, sees danger and goes at it come hell or high water and that has cost us a number of times. Gomez can learn alongside Van Dijk obviously. But he needs to keep his head. With Allison adding to the overall more composed defence it might be folly to bring back Lovren in place of Gomez.

scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #486: Aug 21, 2018 10:13:27 pm
      Thank f@ck thats out the road,they always raise their game against us ,wish Robbo would keep going down the flank and attack them ,so good when he does ,instead of stopping and passing back to VVD

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #487: Aug 21, 2018 11:46:20 pm
      Tough , tough game, tough, tough away win. F***ing Brilliant...get in there !!!

Not many teams are going to go there this season and come away with all 3 points.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #488: Aug 22, 2018 12:26:50 am

Not many teams are going to go there this season and come away with all 3 points.

On a serious note was well surprised with comments on here and my scouse mates thinking Liverpool were only average yesterday. Palace were exceptional good and on that performance won't be in bottom half of table. Remembering Palace have been bit of a bogey team for you recently I thought Liverpool were very good. Solid at the back and Salah didn't have a bad a game as some think. Unlucky not to get a goal or two you could of even won 3-0.

Worrying times for us mancs but credit where credits due. Still can't win the league for me though. Based on two games City look to have improved.  :-\
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #489: Aug 22, 2018 12:43:20 am
      On a serious note was well surprised with comments on here and my scouse mates thinking Liverpool were only average yesterday. Palace were exceptional good and on that performance won't be in bottom half of table. Remembering Palace have been bit of a bogey team for you recently I thought Liverpool were very good. Solid at the back and Salah didn't have a bad a game as some think. Unlucky not to get a goal or two you could of even won 3-0.

Yeah, it took a 2nd view for me to understand how good we were vs a strong Palace team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #490: Aug 22, 2018 02:49:04 am
      Thought it was a good win for us against palace, apart from the Townsend shot and the free kick (which Alisson made a cracking save from), I honestly don't think we were ever in any danger, just a case of breaking them down.

We looked good on the counter and Mane's control and finish for the second was excellent. Agree about VVD being motm as he was a F***ing colossus.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #491: Aug 22, 2018 03:43:21 am

Worrying times for us mancs but credit where credits due. Still can't win the league for me though. Based on two games City look to have improved.  :-\

We will be ok mate, we will beat Citeh Home and away. Win the Title by 6 points.  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #492: Aug 22, 2018 05:35:11 am

On Salah - agree, kinda :D I do think he's still getting his groove back after injury + chaotic World Cup. However, he won a penalty, won a dangerous free kick that resulted in an oppo red card, and though he would have sunk that chip off the brilliant Keita turn + pass on any other day - he still made the perfect run for it. Think he was unlucky not to grab a goal, but his influence on the game was still huge. Shows how much a real world class danger like he is can help, even indirectly. Suarez on an off day would still help in that indirect way as well, simply through his tenacious presence. Not something I could say for the likes of Coutinho...

City do look boss. However one game against a new Arsenal manager still with the same squad issues, and against a Huddersfield side that is odds on to be right back in the relegation battle - they'll have tougher games. Certainly the favourites, but they've caught Arsenal at the best time + had a shitty relegation battler. A lot more will be known in October when we take them on for the first time!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #493: Aug 22, 2018 09:24:31 am
      I offer no apologies if this has already been posted.

piss poor that like ;-)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #494: Aug 22, 2018 10:59:05 am
      Quote from firminofanboy1
      ??? I was here last week. Delighted after our opening day win.

Its been a great start to the season, no negativity here. Long may the winning continue no matter how we get it done.

We just need to keep that Alisson, VVD, Gomez triangle. No Lovren, No Matip, No Klavan. This is THE partnership.

We won't keep it. I would love to go back to the days of a settled squad of 13-14 players, playing 60+ games a year. The game has not changed in all that time, it's still 11 v 11 over 90 minutes, home and away. But injuries, schedules, resting players etc will see the usual amount of disruption as time goes on. 

I know there were lots of people here and beyond, waiting for us to come away from the game with a point or worse, so they could write us off immediately. We got all 3 points, and all they can muster is, "it wasn't great", the rate of posts dropped like a stone after the game. If they scored late to nick a point, there would have been at least 200 posts about the game here, within an hour of the final whistle. Which will be the case the minute the winning run changes.

We've won the last 6 games, including pre-season. We've beaten the opposition up, we've come from behind, we've ground results out, with a variety of tactics and changes in personnel. Since the Spurs trip last year, we've  conceded less league goals than everyone else, and kept more clean sheets than everyone else, even before Alisson arrived. So when we slip up, it's not a massive crisis requiring radical surgery.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #495: Aug 22, 2018 11:32:07 am
      Went for VVD as MOTM. What a difference his presence makes.  Think he seemed to follow Benteke to make the aerial challenges particularly in the second half, maybe something learned from last year.

Ground out a good result against a team who are not bad at home.  Unlike previous years, we never really allowed ourselves to come under any real pressure.

Alisson's distribution is excellent, and will make a difference to the pressure that we come under from giving the ball away from the back.

Great finish from Sadio - has started the season really well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #496: Aug 22, 2018 01:24:18 pm
      Yeah, it took a 2nd view for me to understand how good we were vs a strong Palace team.

Palace are a team that, at home, can make any team look bad.

We kept plugging away, kept our shape, and created more than enough chances to win, which against a strong defensive side is pretty impressive.

Klopp mentioned about our FB's not getting forwards as much as they should, but I'm wondering if that was a bit of kidology from him.
      It seemed to me that both FB's were playing a little deeper to negate Zaha, and that one moussaka fella.
      With Keita playing more on the left than central, it may also take a bit of time to gel with Robertson, as with TAA on the right and whoever is in front of him (Milner at the moment).
      It also seemed to me that when both FB's were looking to pass inside, the usual option of Henderson was not there, and with Gini his positioning was a bit further up, so it took them a fraction longer to spot the pass, which is all the opposition needs at this level to close the option off or make it a bit too risky.

On 2nd viewing, it was also clear to me how much crisper and faster we passed when Henderson came into the deeper role.
      They didn't have to look for him, they knew exactly where he was.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #497: Aug 22, 2018 01:27:18 pm
      Palace are a team that, at home, can make any team look bad.

We kept plugging away, kept our shape, and created more than enough chances to win, which against a strong defensive side is pretty impressive.

Klopp mentioned about our FB's not getting forwards as much as they should, but I'm wondering if that was a bit of kidology from him.
      It seemed to me that both FB's were playing a little deeper to negate Zaha, and that one moussaka fella.
      With Keita playing more on the left than central, it may also take a bit of time to gel with Robertson, as with TAA on the right and whoever is in front of him (Milner at the moment).
      It also seemed to me that when both FB's were looking to pass inside, the usual option of Henderson was not there, and with Gini his positioning was a bit further up, so it took them a fraction longer to spot the pass, which is all the opposition needs at this level to close the option off or make it a bit too risky.

On 2nd viewing, it was also clear to me how much crisper and faster we passed when Henderson came into the deeper role.
      They didn't have to look for him, they knew exactly where he was.

Did we pass it crisper and faster after Henderson came on, I really must have missed that, I thought it was slightly embarassing how much pressure we came under from a 10 man Crystal Palace side the last 10-15 minutes. I hate it when we sit back like that, although we are f course better defensively these days. Against 10 men we should have been the ones pushing them to score 3,4,5 goals.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #498: Aug 22, 2018 01:34:26 pm
      We will be ok mate, we will beat Citeh Home and away. Win the Title by 6 points.  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

Wake up for F**k sake.  ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #499: Aug 22, 2018 01:41:08 pm
      they should change "are" to "support", it is impossible for people to be an actual city, people are in a city. The grammar does not make sense. It is like saying "Those cats are Playstation".
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #500: Aug 22, 2018 01:47:35 pm

Not if they continue to play like that. However, we're talking About Woy here  :lmao:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #501: Aug 22, 2018 01:50:32 pm
      Not if they continue to play like that. However, we're talking About Woy here  :lmao:
      Woy is great at making sh*t teams play well, Palace will probably finish around 9th and take a few points from the top 6.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #502: Aug 22, 2018 01:54:18 pm
      Woy is great at making sh*t teams play well,

So where did he go wrong with you lads.  :lmao: Fell into that one Rib I couldn't resist  ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #503: Aug 22, 2018 02:20:57 pm
      So where did he go wrong with you lads.  :lmao: Fell into that one Rib I couldn't resist  ;D
      You raise a good point because we were bad at that time. Now we have Klopp, but United are bad right now so.... Woy to replace Mourinho?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #504: Aug 22, 2018 04:00:35 pm
      You raise a good point because we were bad at that time. Now we have Klopp, but United are bad right now so.... Woy to replace Mourinho?

Good point yes but just banter Rib. I see your now one of Klopps merry men and have the faith IKWT  ;D Wish I could hate him but just can't. His quality, style,class and overall demeanour  is just plain to see. He could well join the greats in Shanks & Paisley

Woy to replace Mourinho? Your turn to get your own back.  :lmao:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #505: Aug 22, 2018 06:16:52 pm
      2 games, 6 points, 6 goals scored, 0 goals conceded.

That is a perfect start to me. That Palace game was a game we would all have been worried about last Season. Selhurst Park has always been a bogey ground for us for a long time, we went there and got the job done with ease.

With the new players being integrated it will be a few more games yet before we get up to speed so i see nothing to worry about here. van Dijk and Gomez look solid together, sterner tests ahead but they seem to have a good understanding of each other positionally and it looks like Gomez is prepared to learn from van Dijk.

Alisson has just transformed the defence no end, he is colossal in the transformation and has alleviated the pressure of the centre backs lacking confidence in the authority of the man between the sticks. Milner has just been Milner, solid and reliable, but that's what you need. Keita is on another planet, tremendous engine, tremendous skill set and tremendous natural ability.

The front three are yet to click into gear yet but when they do, F***ing look out!

Going away to to tough grounds and laying ghosts to rest are what title challengers do and that is what we are doing. A lot lot more to come from us, we all know this and that can only mean one thing.

Quick Reply