Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Alisson
      11 (8.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      17 (13.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      69 (53.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (4.7%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.6%)
      Naby Keïta
      9 (7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (3.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (5.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (2.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Aug 24, 2018 09:51:27 pm

Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32738 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Aug 20, 2018 10:52:29 pm
      https://www.file-upload.com/ci9e8sztjr3i (1st half)
      https://www.file-upload.com/91fpmiv5p3yv (2nd half)

Watch or DL before it goes down!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #415: Aug 20, 2018 10:55:53 pm
      I'd take another 36 of those in the league.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #416: Aug 20, 2018 10:56:51 pm

If we do we'll finish about 7th...in terms of the way we played..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #417: Aug 20, 2018 10:57:34 pm
      If we do we'll finish about 7th...

He meant the result.

Thought that was quite obvious from his post to be honest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #418: Aug 20, 2018 10:58:19 pm
      He meant the result.

Thought that was quite obvious from his post to be honest.

It was.

Crystal clear.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #419: Aug 20, 2018 11:05:50 pm
      36 more clean sheets.

Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #420: Aug 20, 2018 11:08:06 pm
      Spent much of the last few years living in delusion and denial and not just regarding his disastrous few months with us. A very cowardly man as he displayed after that humiliating loss to Iceland in his last match as England manager when he scuttled down the tunnel as soon as the final whistle went and left his players to carry the can and face the music in front of a booing set of supporters. Refused to speak to the press as well leaving the players to answer all the tough questions. As hilarious as that match might have been, his actions that night were sheer cowardice and a mark of the man. Absolutely pathetic behaviour.

Not strictly true tho is it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/27/roy-hodgson-facing-end-england-manager-iceland-euro-2016

we know he was the wrong man for us but is there any real need to demonise a decent man.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #421: Aug 20, 2018 11:11:11 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/27/roy-hodgson-facing-end-england-manager-iceland-euro-2016

we know he was the wrong man for us but is there any real need to demonise a decent man.

He read a f**king pre prepared statement and took no questions. But yeah...wot a hero me lud!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #422: Aug 20, 2018 11:12:30 pm
      Virgil and joe excellent,  some of the wc lads especially the front 3 weren't sharp, calm under pressure which was very reassuring
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #423: Aug 20, 2018 11:14:42 pm
      He read a f**king pre prepared statement and took no questions. Wot a hero me lud!

'ave a day off...obviously it was a prepared statement...but you were wrong...have the decency to say so..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #424: Aug 20, 2018 11:16:50 pm
      'ave a day off...obviously it was a prepared statement...but you were wrong...have the decency to say so..

Nope. Refused to take questions, didn't face the press, ran away from the fans. Coward.

Now just because some of us called you out for trying to be a smart ass earlier doesn't mean you have to go digging with similarly impotent results.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #425: Aug 20, 2018 11:19:31 pm

Yeah I don’t get it mate. Always comes off well in an interview and, unlike other managers, isn’t out to vilify referees and deflect criticism on to others. Putting aside the disaster with us, I have a lot of time for him.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #426: Aug 20, 2018 11:36:02 pm
      Palace are a solid team, but we got the job done.

First time in years I've felt confident in the defence. Based on what gomez has done, Can't see dejan getting back in bar injury.

VVD was F***ing immense. Won every header bar one I can remember.

And i stand by I think Mane will be our best player this season. Salah off tonight, and Firmino is defo not match fit. Give Sturridge/Shakiri a start against Brighton.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #427: Aug 20, 2018 11:56:36 pm
      Good win that at a ground where many will struggle this season. Front 3 are still miles of from match fitness and sharpness but I liked the reassurance that Allison has brought into the back line.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #428: Aug 21, 2018 12:21:46 am
      A good win when we’re a bit off song. Ugly win if you like, but a win that may easily have become a draw in years gone by !
      Good 3 points, VVD Clearly motm for me.
      As for Woy. What a tosser. Always remember him bigging up the opposition so if we failed to win, he always had the ground prepared to cover his own arse. And tonight, like in the past, you see him thoughtfully stroking his chin, making out his tremendous footballing brain is about to come up with a solution to rectify his players faults, and what does he come up with ? F**k all.
      He’s on the managerial merry go round with the other serial failures, Pulis, Mc Claren, Allardyce, Moyes etc etc. Total knob, who was found out, and hounded out by LFC supporters who can smell a fake from miles.
      As for the 2 results. Pissed off I went one goal short for hammers game, and one too many tonight 😕
      Onward and upward, Brighton next !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #429: Aug 21, 2018 12:24:52 am
      I think he could be our player of the season.

I hope Mane will be.  I've got him and Milner as my two reds in my fantasy league team at the local pub!

I know a few people have said it and maybe it's a bit of a cliche, but genuinely not sure we win that game last season without Alisson and van Dijk.  I can almost picture that free kick they had and Mignolet watching it go in because he was stood too far away.  Or Lovren coming out for that header and completely missing it.

Agree with some earlier shouts about Lallana looking off it.  Funny how a few years back he was one of THE creative outlets and now, well, he looks like at least one class below. 

Keita is immense, Milner is keeping younger players out of the team and Wijnaldum looks reborn.  Absolutely love that some very good players just cannot even get a look in it is that competitive. 

Just hope the Klopp doesn't allow any more players to leave now.  Lot of competitions still to come and he still needs to win a trophy - surely this team has to do that?

Finally, the Owl was an unmitigated disaster for us but he has definitely improved Crystal Palace.  He is a decent mid-table manager.  Totally out of his depth at us and England - would have made us mid-table and did pretty much the same to a decent enough England squad but for the likes of Fulham and Palace, does a job.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #430: Aug 21, 2018 12:29:37 am
      Palace have Sakho, Townsend, Saha, Benteke all fresh and fit. It was a banana skin for us, so good result.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #431: Aug 21, 2018 12:30:11 am

There’s a difference between demonising someone, and recognising he’s a fake, and a piss poor football manager.
      As for the latter, f**k all wrong with that.
      In most industries he would have had to change his career due to his ineptness.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #432: Aug 21, 2018 12:36:41 am
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #433: Aug 21, 2018 12:36:45 am
      Quote from firminofanboy1
      Pretty average by our standards but its all about just getting the "W" at this stage. This is the kind of match we would have drawn a few years ago so its good to just get the 3 points on the board.

Really like that Alisson, Gomez, VVD triangle. Very solid, have always highly rated Joe, that tackle in the first half was phenomonal. I feel for the first time in yonks, quite comfortable at the back.

TAA was poor, I still think hes too young and inexperienced to be starting in our 11 every single week. Hopefully Klopp will use more of Clyne in the near future. We dont want TAA getting burnt out as hes clearly a bright prospect for the future.

Where were you last week? Probably waiting for tonight, the first setback. After all, Palace is a "tough away game", isn't it?

Except it didn't happen, did it? If City went there and won 2-0 (as opposed to the 2 points they dropped there last season) everyone would say it's what champions do. When we do it, people say it wasn't good enough.

I don't get the negativity. Seriously. We went there, scored 2 goals, got 3 points, could have scored 3-4 more, defensively sound, clean sheet, and joint top of the league. What's to complain about?

Delighted with the result. People keep telling us it's teams and places like that, where we need to grind out a result. Well we have done exactly that, 5 times running in that kip. So the press and the pundits still have to go back to 2014, to find a time when we didn't win at Palace. Under a completely different manager.

Get in. Got 3 points. Go home and get the next 3 on Saturday. It's about as good a start as we could hope for.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #434: Aug 21, 2018 01:24:39 am
      Spent much of the last few years living in delusion and denial and not just regarding his disastrous few months with us. A very cowardly man as he displayed after that humiliating loss to Iceland in his last match as England manager when he scuttled down the tunnel as soon as the final whistle went and left his players to carry the can and face the music in front of a booing set of supporters. Refused to speak to the press as well leaving the players to answer all the tough questions. As hilarious as that match might have been, his actions that night were sheer cowardice and a mark of the man. Absolutely pathetic behaviour.

I loathe and despise him.

That was when he said the immortal words ..

"  I don't know what I'm doing here ".         F.F.S.

Too right the coward ...... bet he was off to make sure he had got the FA credit transfer to his bank.

C**t of the lowest order.

Arse scratching face rubber.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #435: Aug 21, 2018 01:41:04 am
      Just re-watched the first half, and f**k me, I was blind watching the first half first time round.

Very impressive first half by us vs a very organised team (Partnership of Sakho & Tomkins ,14 games, 11 won, 4 drawn, 0 losses). We had control of the match and should have scored 1/4 chances before the pen.

Wijnaldum and Keita were actually very good in midfield, Milner was good but wasn't West Ham standard. Can't fault our CB's and Mane, but Firmin, Salah and our 2 full backs could have done better, but overall, as a team, we were superb!

Time for second half...
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018 01:51:50 am by PurpleMonkey »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #436: Aug 21, 2018 02:16:16 am

I know a few people have said it and maybe it's a bit of a cliche, but genuinely not sure we win that game last season without Alisson and van Dijk.  I can almost picture that free kick they had and Mignolet watching it go in because he was stood too far away.  Or Lovren coming out for that header and completely missing it.

It's a genuine shout though, even if it's cliche at this point. One thing I really noticed with this game (maybe it was the case during West Ham, I was F***ing hammered halfway through that game though :D ) was the bullet passing from Alisson into the channels right and left, every time hitting either Trent, Robbo, and sometimes one of Salah, Firmino, Mane etc. Made me think of the Aguero goal from the Ederson assist the night before, and how we genuinely have that in our locker now. 4-5 times that a chance looked on directly from one of those passes from the box, something that I have not seen in a long time in a Liverpool keeper. I don't recall one of his passes, whether through the air or ground, going astray. I had a few squeaky bum moments thinking our defenders are enjoying their new toy to pass back to a little TOO often but, not a bad thing for them to have that kind of confidence in their last line.

As an aside to that, as the game went on longer at 1-0 - I realised I was not nearly bricking it as much as I have in previous years. Sure, I knew Palace had the threats and they did threaten a couple times. But I finally have some trust in our backline, and more importantly, the keeper. I felt that if we won 1-0, then bloody good on us. The 2nd goal definitely was a sigh of relief, but I felt much more at ease throughout the game than I would have last year - especially pre VvD. Maybe just me, maybe just the 430am hangover keeping me relatively still through necessity :D But overall genuinely impressed with that win. As much as I'd love 4-0 over West Ham performances week in, week out - it ain't gonna happen. Grinding out a 2-0 over one of the toughest "we should win but" away opponents is a great boost for the year.

Quick Reply