Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Brighton?

Alisson Becker
      23 (20.4%)
      Trent Alexander Arnold
      2 (1.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (5.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      8 (7.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      10 (8.8%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      28 (24.8%)
      Naby Keita
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      29 (25.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Mo Salah
      5 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: Aug 27, 2018 07:25:14 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Brighton: In game and post match debate

Read 22364 times
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Brighton: In game and post match debate
      Reply #230: Aug 26, 2018 08:10:12 am
      Another 3 points in the bag, top of the league even though it’s early and we are nowhere near playing our best football. F***ing delighted with that. We have so much more in us and Klopp will make sure he gets it. Let’s go....
      Pretty much my thoughts,we are 3 games in & I didn't personally  expect us to be firing on all cylinders at such an early stage in the season  & as yourself and others have pointed out we will Get better.
      regardless of this though we are still unbeaten  & 3 clean sheets on the spin
      & sometimes the final result is more important than the performance.
      As a side note Allison will earn us some very valuable points this season & even though Milner got kicked to F**k the man is the equivalent of a Tonka toy ( tough as nails).
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #231: Aug 26, 2018 08:29:02 am
      A hard fought win but who gives a sh*t,we got the 3 points and kept another clean sheet.Well done Jürgen and the REDS.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #232: Aug 26, 2018 09:36:06 am
      You could argue that our front three has been the weakest-performing line in the early going (defense first, midfield second). That would be an astonishingly-promising truth for the ongoing season.

This. 9 out of 9 points in the bag and our 90+ goal trio from last season haven't even got out of first gear. It's gonna click at some point and we'll absolutely destroy teams.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #233: Aug 26, 2018 09:36:43 am
      We got the three points and top of the league but what I am really happy about are our clean sheets.
      Love Milner, the man gives everything every time. Gini was very good as well, but gave my motm vote to Milner. The man is a beast.

If I had to choose something to bi*ch about, is that I feel we lack bit of creativity in the middle of the park.
      Hope Im proven wrong in upcoming matches tho.
      Early in season, and the downs will come but let's enjoy the ups 😁
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #234: Aug 26, 2018 09:38:41 am
      Gini may be our most improved player in the early going. And that's not suggesting he wasn't very good last season, because he was. It's clear from minutes played that Klopp valued/values him, and I've thought since he's been here he is a least a candidate for our most technically-gifted player.

But he seems to be throwing himself about more and just having a greater impact on the proceedings here in the early going. As I say, I think this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, pluses on the new season.

Agree?

That and Gomez. I was really worried about RCB after the window closed and thought the importance of how Gomez performed was crucial to how we get on.

He's flying so far and long may it continue.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #235: Aug 26, 2018 11:02:29 am
      Pleased with both performance and result, voted for Milner For MOTM but had to be up at 2-30am (Qld Aus)for the game, into 92nd min and lightning strike took out all power to our town so had to rely wife's phone for the FT Score.
      Then laid awake smiling from ear to ear at being on OUR perch again! COYR.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #236: Aug 26, 2018 12:13:32 pm
      Winning ugly and scrappy could be the difference for us winning the league.

We usually hit top gear in a few weeks. Some of our players are short of fitness and our new players will adapt to our style of play.

Happy with the 3 points!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #237: Aug 26, 2018 12:16:00 pm
      Gini may be our most improved player in the early going. And that's not suggesting he wasn't very good last season, because he was. It's clear from minutes played that Klopp valued/values him, and I've thought since he's been here he is a least a candidate for our most technically-gifted player.

But he seems to be throwing himself about more and just having a greater impact on the proceedings here in the early going. As I say, I think this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, pluses on the new season.

Agree?

I thought Gini did well last season overall.

I read that Klopp has told him he must be involved for the full 90 minutes, and improve that aspect of his game, and he's certainly doing that so far this season.
      Fair play to the lad, he keeps pushing himself and taking advice on board, and is doing well playing deeper.

I'm all for anything that gives us more options, and Gini is certainly doing that.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #238: Aug 26, 2018 12:35:21 pm
      Gini motm for me. Not just improved his game, but showing sone decent form as well. Getting better by the week.
      Leicester next up, no Vardy, no Mahrez, could be the game we see our front 3 hit form as Leicester not known for parking the bus, and 50% of their goal threat has either moved on or is suspended. C O Y M REDS.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #239: Aug 26, 2018 12:40:59 pm
      Gave my MOTM to Robbo only because that this guy keeps getting better and better. Very good in defence and attack yesterday and will be a constant threat all season.

Gini seems to be making that No.6 position his own. We seem to be changing formation throughout the game (I know formations meen very little to start with). Everyone seems to think we are playing 4 3 3 when at times yesterday we were playing 4 5 1 (xmas tree shape) with Keita and Milner playing wide. Then at times we were playing 4 1 2 1 2 with Salah and Mané up top with Bobby playing just behind. Looks really affective. Not our best performance as we should have been home and dry in the 1st half with our chances but 3 from 3 and no goals conceded is all you can ask for.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #240: Aug 26, 2018 01:04:27 pm
      Gini had a boss game. Becker is F***ing cool and the gang! Reminds me of Brucie!

These are the games we have to turn from draws into wins and I don't care how we do it. When you have organised and drilled teams sitting back at Anfield, it's hard to create a lot of space but it's vital to win the ball in the opposition half and move it quickly. We done that with excellence, yesterday for Mo's goal.

Think our front three are yet to click back into any gear since the Palace game and it showed more rust yesterday, bit no doubt it'll click back soon. Only thing for me really is Mane looked absolutely shattered yesterday.

Who was at the game yesterday? Was you loving George's choice of song at the final whistle? Boss!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #241: Aug 26, 2018 01:48:14 pm
      Curious how Fabinho will slot in with Gini playing the 6 role so well right now. Good problem to have I suppose.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #242: Aug 26, 2018 02:02:13 pm
      Curious how Fabinho will slot in with Gini playing the 6 role so well right now. Good problem to have I suppose.

I still think Fabinho is the better 6 than anyone at the club, but with Wijnaldum playing so well and Klopp seemingly favouring Hendo atm over Fabinho and even Wijnaldum when he comes on as sub, I do wonder. Also, I believe Fabinho was called up by Tito as a full back rather than a midfield player.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #243: Aug 26, 2018 02:23:14 pm
      I still think Fabinho is the better 6 than anyone at the club, but with Wijnaldum playing so well and Klopp seemingly favouring Hendo atm over Fabinho and even Wijnaldum when he comes on as sub, I do wonder. Also, I believe Fabinho was called up by Tito as a full back rather than a midfield player.

We'll rotate a lot.

Apparently, Klopp is still getting Fabinho settled in to how he wants him to play, same as he did with Robertson and Ox.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #244: Aug 26, 2018 02:35:16 pm
      Gini had a boss game. Becker is f**king cool and the gang! Reminds me of Brucie!

These are the games we have to turn from draws into wins and I don't care how we do it. When you have organised and drilled teams sitting back at Anfield, it's hard to create a lot of space but it's vital to win the ball in the opposition half and move it quickly. We done that with excellence, yesterday for Mo's goal.

Think our front three are yet to click back into any gear since the Palace game and it showed more rust yesterday, bit no doubt it'll click back soon. Only thing for me really is Mane looked absolutely shattered yesterday.

Who was at the game yesterday? Was you loving George's choice of song at the final whistle? Boss!
      Brighton deserves credit for stifling LFC's offense. They flooded the box making LFC's attempts at touch pass/redirects futile. They limited space wide preventing more accurate crosses. And they filled passing lanes better than I've seen LFC opponents over that past 12 months. Brighton played great D. I was also impressed with Brighton's ability to navigate the ball out of their half with quick a passing game....with one exception. Well coached.
      My guy Mane was a mess....no other way to describe it. Poor judgement, poor execution....a turnover machine. One of those days when the brain and the foot were not in synch.
      Other thoughts:
      I absolutely hate to see LFC's back four control the ball so much. At times they resembled giraffes kicking balls.
      Allison needs to limit his dribbling lust.....only bad things will come of this. Three close calls yesterday...all total unnecessary.
      Milner is one tough SOB. In a sport where so many divas whither to the ground when gently brushed, Milner is the antithesis.
      I expect a more wide open game vs Leicester next weekend with a long ball explosion on both sides.
      3-0 was the goal....check
      Beat the leagues bottom dwellers....check
      Avoid ties....check
      Avoid late game collapses....check
      LFC's roster build and execution are paying maximum dividends right now......just as designed.

PS...MOTM....despite his ball dribbling antics, I voted for Allison simply because his heroic save was worth 2 points.
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018 02:39:40 pm by Borg »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #245: Aug 26, 2018 02:42:39 pm
      F**k all wrong in winning ugly, that's what we did yesterday, thought Gini was immense as was Millie again but despite not being at our best we have set down a marker, that we are now capable of winning with flair, winning by grinding down the opposition and winning ugly, all the hallmarks of winning league titles,
      Brighton deserve credit for the way the stuck together, very organised and fair play to them, on another day they could have taken a point, they made it extremely difficult for us to break them down irrespective of us not being at our best,

We are in a position now that we can build on, we have a two point gap over City so it will be interesting how they deal with doing the chasing, we need to keep applying the pressure by continuing to win by any means possible, and hope City drop further points,

By the time we play them we could have a significant lead, a lead we could extend further or at worse a reduced gap, I honestly believe it's ours for the taking, I think the pressure will prove too much for City, add the pressures of the CL campaign for them which for them is the next step, we could benefit from their efforts of trying to succeed in both comps,

for us a all out effort for the league should be our main priority, the CL is a bonus and if we were to go out early doors it may in fact be a blessing in disguise, Anyhoo....

.....Great win yesterday, just another 35 to go.......IT'S OURS !!

YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #246: Aug 26, 2018 03:53:26 pm
      The type of 1-0 that helps win league championships. Sometimes the result will matter more than the performance, especially when City are throwing points away.

Motm for me was Milner, the lad's a machine and the challenge he threw in that lead to the goal was superb especially as the ref had only just warned him about two previous challenges. Great save from Alisson at the end, he's deffo gonna have Klopp chain-smoking by the end of the season with his antics.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #247: Aug 26, 2018 03:55:15 pm
      Why are two people bickering like kids when we have won a game ? Is there history here or something. Blimey what’s it like when the team lose

You haven't seen what it's like during an international break yet :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #248: Aug 26, 2018 03:59:39 pm
      Gini had a boss game. Becker is F***ing cool and the gang! Reminds me of Brucie!

Said that a couple of times yesterday, definitely reminds me of early to mid 80s Grobbelaar!!

Was enjoying that extended Let's Go by The Routers after the 2nd half started :laugh:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #249: Aug 26, 2018 04:55:42 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #250: Aug 26, 2018 07:50:10 pm
      Said that a couple of times yesterday, definitely reminds me of early to mid 80s Grobbelaar!!

Was enjoying that extended Let's Go by The Routers after the 2nd half started :laugh:

watching on the telly, i thought at first someone with the TV people had left something playing, but then I heard the Kop give an ironic cheer when it stopped. Funny stuff.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #251: Aug 26, 2018 07:51:00 pm
      Gini had a boss game. Becker is f**king cool and the gang! Reminds me of Brucie!

What did he play?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #252: Aug 26, 2018 08:08:34 pm
      watching on the telly, i thought at first someone with the TV people had left something playing, but then I heard the Kop give an ironic cheer when it stopped. Funny stuff.

George had either gone for a sly smoke or needed a piss & obviously forgot to turn it off.

I was at the game and even I didn't hear what he played, too busy gabbing about the match :laugh:

Quick Reply