Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Brighton?

Alisson Becker
      23 (20.4%)
      Trent Alexander Arnold
      2 (1.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (5.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      8 (7.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      10 (8.8%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      28 (24.8%)
      Naby Keita
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      29 (25.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Mo Salah
      5 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: Aug 27, 2018 07:25:14 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Brighton: In game and post match debate

Read 22589 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Brighton: In game and post match debate
      Reply #253: Aug 26, 2018 09:19:57 pm
      Didn't see the game, but great to get the 3 points.
      And absolutely delighted to see us keep another clean sheet.
      Not getting my hopes up, but THIS COULD BE OUR YEARRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :)

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,669 posts | 6684 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #254: Aug 26, 2018 10:42:03 pm
      Get the F**k in, let's keep this momentum going for another 35 League games.

Felt sorry for Shaqiri...surely he has to get a run at Leicester. Thought Sadio was poor all game and that Shaqiri should have replaced him.

Apart from that roll on Season. Loving our start.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #255: Aug 27, 2018 06:54:50 am
      3 down, 35 to go...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #256: Aug 27, 2018 09:25:04 am
      Get the f**k in, let's keep this momentum going for another 35 League games.

Felt sorry for Shaqiri...surely he has to get a run at Leicester. Thought Sadio was poor all game and that Shaqiri should have replaced him.

Apart from that roll on Season. Loving our start.

I agree, time to start shuffling the pack a little bit, isn't it great to finally have some options again. :-)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #257: Aug 27, 2018 10:16:06 am

I was at the game and even I didn't hear what he played, too busy gabbing about the match

Pink Floyd "Fearless" - not surprised you didn't hear it to be honest as it was low volume. Quiet, but suttle by George. One of my favourite tunes linked to how boss we have been in the past and how boss we are now!!

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #258: Aug 27, 2018 10:18:52 am
      I think we can all accept now that we're going to win every game this season without conceding a goal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #259: Aug 27, 2018 10:52:22 am
      I think we can all accept now that we're going to win every game this season without conceding a goal.

If only, but we do look damned strong at the back now, much more in control. Lets just hope we can beat Leicester on Saturday and go into the International break with maximum points, without Vardy and Mahrez they have lost their main threat and defensively they are vulnerable I think, plus we have good record against them.
      Then we have Spurs and the chavs, two tricky away fixtures, if we can get some points from those then it's really starting to look like a hell of a good start, but they will be a proper tests.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #260: Aug 27, 2018 11:57:27 am
      Although I believe Naby Keita is a great addition to the team he is not what I expected as a player....

I thought he would be the type of player that would drive at defender, and burst into the box, more in the vain of a Gerrard, or in the way of Yaya Toure...

Great player, just not what i was expecting
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #261: Aug 27, 2018 12:01:23 pm
      Although I believe Naby Keita is a great addition to the team he is not what I expected as a player....

I thought he would be the type of player that would drive at defender, and burst into the box, more in the vain of a Gerrard, or in the way of Yaya Toure...

Lad has 3 games under his belt...give him a chance...🙄
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #262: Aug 27, 2018 12:12:06 pm
      If only, but we do look damned strong at the back now, much more in control. Lets just hope we can beat Leicester on Saturday and go into the International break with maximum points, without Vardy and Mahrez they have lost their main threat and defensively they are vulnerable I think, plus we have good record against them.
      Then we have Spurs and the chavs, two tricky away fixtures, if we can get some points from those then it's really starting to look like a hell of a good start, but they will be a proper tests.

I agree. We do look a lot stronger and we are controlling games much better. A large part of that in my opinion is because we have a much better centre half in the team alongside van dijk, one that is less prone to making mistakes and one who is very comfortable on the ball and doesn't flap.

I also think a large part of it is getting a much better 6 in there too. It might not be ginis natural position but already he looks more comfortable in there than what Hendo ever did.

Obviously the keeper has played a big part too who so far has been fantastic. It's so refreshing to finally have a decent lad i between the sticks and not somebody who we're constantly worrying about.

I expect us to blast Leicester away and I'll be disappointed if we don't. That's the type of game where we need to go and win if we're serious about winning the league.

The two games following that are a big test and we will get a better understanding of where we're at after those.

So far, I've been very impressed with the reds. We are looking like champions of old in how we're controlling the games now. We're not giving the opposition a sniff and it's as if they know they're beaten before the game has even kicked off.

It's even more exciting when we all know we haven't reached our usual heights in terms of attacking yet either.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #263: Aug 27, 2018 12:13:15 pm

Like he did on our opening goal vs. West Ham. You'll see more of that. He wasn't at his best Saturday, I'll grant you. But you'll see more of what you expected, I'm sure of it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #264: Aug 27, 2018 12:13:58 pm

About time you came around, Didi.  :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #265: Aug 27, 2018 12:14:22 pm

;D he has only played a couple of games and needs to get up to speed with the league, playing with a new set of players who will be like strangers to him.
      Add to that the front three are still getting back up to full fitness post WC.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3349 
      Reply #266: Aug 27, 2018 12:56:16 pm
      Nowhere near our best but come away with another victory and keep our perfect start up. Another clean sheet as well and ending the month of August on top of the Premier League. It's hard not to happy and smiling as wide as the Mersey tunnel when you see that.

Honestly just let it sink in, we're top of the League.

Brighton came with a game plan to make it difficult for us and credit to them, they stuck at it and it was difficult. Unfortunately for the Seagulls, it wasn't impossible because we have that bit of quality you need to break those kind of teams down. We don't need to trounce everybody five or six nil, a one nil win gets you the same three points. And we have more than enough quality to get at least that one goal.

They had a couple of chances but we've improved defensively and now have that bit of extra quality at the back to ensure we can scrape those one nil wins. For years now we have had to score three or four to guarantee victories because we were so fragile at the back but we look as solid as we have done for ten years right now from a defensive standpoint.

The two best young full backs in the country, an ever improving young centre half, the world's best centre half and a solid hand in goal. Great teams are built from the back, or so the saying goes, but we look to of done it the other way round. Build from the front to make sure we score enough goals that will win us enough points to attract the top defenders to the club and then solidify that defence to make sure we don't concede enough goals that will see us lose championships and trophies.

Overall though, what a F***ing start to the season. Three games, three clean sheets, three wins. Long may it F***ing continue.

Alisson - during the opening two games I've commented on how I worry about him with the ball at his feet because he's so calm with it and thinks he has all the time in the world, at some point teams will rush him and it'll cost us. It nearly did against Brighton. Murray closed him down and was inches away from getting to the ball before our new keeper after he'd try to go round the Brighton forward. Now nobody will mention that because it didn't cost us in the end and because he made that save in the last few minutes but it doesn't disguise the fact that he was very nearly caught and needs to, in certain situations, just get rid of the ball quicker. Other than that, another flawless performance from him. Two really good saves, distribution was as good as Xabi Alonso and commanding when coming for crosses. Just get rid of the ball that bit quicker at times.

Alexander-Arnold - another solid performance from the youngster. Last season he was putting in standout performances on a regular basis but this year he looks to be more solid than flashy. His performances aren't as eye catching, maybe because we're used to them now, but instead a lot more steady. All season long he's been our out ball, just a shame his crossing hasn't quite found the mark yet. Three yellows in three matches as well may need to be looked at, could do without any suspensions this early into the campaign.

Gomez - continues to improve game after game and as far as I'm concerned, he's well and truly established himself as first choice centre half. Matip can F**k right off and Lovren will have to wait his turn because Joe Go has been immense and looks to be helped along the way by Van Dijk. Only thing I would like to see more of from Gomez is being a bit more vocal, lead from the back the way his defensive partner does. Also the save Alisson made at the end, I don't know how their centre forward gets in between our two centre halves that easily.

Van Dijk - As mentioned there with Gomez, the chance at the end was poor defending from our two but that was the only thing that was poor during the game because once again the two of them were exceptional. I keep saying it about Van Dijk but the way he's leading the back line is so impressive.

Robertson - like Trent on the other side, his performances have been steady rather than standouts so far this year. Unlike Trent though, his crossing has been spot on. I say it almost every game now but he's the best left back we've had in the Prem and for me, the best in the world right now.  Another strong outing from the Scot.

Wijnaldum - for me, he's been our player of the year so far. Immense in every game, doing the work nobody else really wants to. Nothing that catches the eye as such but such a vital member of the team. Breaking the play up, winning the ball back and then getting us on the front foot quickly. He's cemented his place in the team for the foreseeable future in my opinion. Dominated the midfield against Brighton and fully deserves all the man of the match votes.

Milner - another who has cemented their place in the side. When he arrived I openly admitted I never rated him as a player. And during his time here I've never really changed that opinion. He's been alright but I've always felt we could upgrade on him very easily. But F**k me, this season he's been outstanding. He's doing everything a central midfielder should be and he's doing it to such a high standard. He was boss once again against Brighton and long may it continue.

Keita - another good showing by our new man who has just slotted right into the team. He is the driving force of the middle three and you can see just how comfortable he is running with the ball. Keeps the ball ticking over, helps out at both ends of the pitch and has just been a joy to watch thus far. Already looks accustomed to life at Liverpool.

Salah - third game in, he's got two goals and we're saying our front three haven't even started yet. I know a lot of teams who'd love to have that sort of problem. Like most of the team, his performances have been steady rather than flashy this year. I don't know if Klopp has changed his style slightly from the heavy metal football to the more soft rock but it's getting results regardless. We're not full throttle going forward and yet we're still winning so hard to complain.

Firmino - it's not hard to complain about our number 9 though who again was disappointing for me. He got the assist though so that was a bonus. Just doesn't seem to of got going at all.

Mane - like Salah, we're talking about them not clicking into gear yet and he already has three in three. Admittedly though, against Brighton he was shocking. Gave the ball away numerous times and looked to be half asleep for most of the game. I think the game was too easy for him (and most of the team) so he didn't respect it the way he should of. Sloppy passes, lazy runs and just a really poor all round performance.

Henderson - another good run out for the lad, who Klopp is obviously intent on giving minutes to. Nothing any of sort of note during his twenty minutes or so but he's still making up for a lack of pre-season.

Sturridge - like Henderson, there seems to be an intent from Klopp on giving Danny some game time. Even if it's not as much as some of us would like. Ten minutes on the field and did alright. I would of liked to see him run the clock down a bit more than trying for the second goal in those last few minutes though but we know Sturridge is a goalscorer and he wants to score at every opportunity.

Matip - hopefully Klopp isn't intent on giving this man game time because the lad just isn't good enough in my opinion but in the two or three minutes he was on, he didn't do a lot wrong so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Overall, a solid, well fought out victory. We were never gonna lose but it was just a case of can we nick that goal and through Salah, we did. Like I said with Mane, I think the game was too easy for us because Brighton were posing no threat or even intent on going forward so it was easy to knock the ball around and that's why the respect wasn't paid to the passes by some of our players. They knew we were always gonna win, it was just a matter of when.

Next up Leicester and a win there to go into the poxy internationals with four from four would be the perfect F***ing start for Jürgen and the boys.

Everyone around us is dropping points so all we need to do is concentrate on ourselves and make sure we're taking advantage of their mishaps.

Made up right now.

Thank you Reds!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,053 posts | 2744 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #267: Aug 27, 2018 01:18:50 pm
      Our 2 best players are the 2 I suspect most of us thought would be on the bench this season.

Thats what its all about. Hendo and Fab know if they want in they need to be at their highest level
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #268: Aug 27, 2018 02:07:41 pm
      Another game which i believe we controlled well. in the same way that Palace were tight in certain areas, Brighton put pressure on our front line and wide men the whole game. Their game plan worked very well coz this was the deepest i had ever seen Salah play to get on the ball. In that sense i think Bobby has been off his game, as i expect him to be the deepest of the front men if needing to get involved in build up play. Keita was ineffective hence the change and i think Mane could also have come off at 60mins. Milner and Gini were outstanding though. They kept play simple and together with our central defenders kept the play moving side to side.
      I believe that JK needs to introduce Shaqiri into this team soon as well, coz if teams adopt the deep lying approach, we will need him to offer something alot more creative. I compare it to Hazard's role yesterday in the Newcastle match, they had 10 men behind the ball for most of the match and the only chances created were through Hazard's creativity.

We seem alot better equipped to see out games when in the lead, so that is why there is less panic once we have scored the first goal. Last season we would have needed to score more than once to get a result, therefore listening to JK post match, he acknowledged that our ability to defend well and having a solid keeper, is going a long way to allow us to control games better.

Our general play will improve, the fitness and tactical side of the play will also improve as weeks go by, so we are really in a very good place at the moment and there is no reason to be negative about what we have seen to date.

3 down, 35 more to go!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #269: Aug 27, 2018 02:07:59 pm
      The ideal kind of opposition really. They beat the mancs one week, lose to us the next. So if they could beat City in the last game of the season to help us win the league, it would complete the set.

We battered them first half, should have been further ahead before the break, but had to settle for what we had by the end. And it could be a valuable 3 points when the prizes are handed out.

We've been top at the end of August several times since 1990, then promptly slipped on some banana skins. So let's win the next game, go 5 points clear of City and see what their response to that is. It might be a new pressure for some of them to deal with.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #270: Aug 27, 2018 03:14:57 pm
      Nowhere near our best but come away with another victory and keep our perfect start up. Another clean sheet as well and ending the month of August on top of the Premier League. It's hard not to happy and smiling as wide as the Mersey tunnel when you see that.

Honestly just let it sink in, we're top of the League.

Brighton came with a game plan to make it difficult for us and credit to them, they stuck at it and it was difficult. Unfortunately for the Seagulls, it wasn't impossible because we have that bit of quality you need to break those kind of teams down. We don't need to trounce everybody five or six nil, a one nil win gets you the same three points. And we have more than enough quality to get at least that one goal.

They had a couple of chances but we've improved defensively and now have that bit of extra quality at the back to ensure we can scrape those one nil wins. For years now we have had to score three or four to guarantee victories because we were so fragile at the back but we look as solid as we have done for ten years right now from a defensive standpoint.

The two best young full backs in the country, an ever improving young centre half, the world's best centre half and a solid hand in goal. Great teams are built from the back, or so the saying goes, but we look to of done it the other way round. Build from the front to make sure we score enough goals that will win us enough points to attract the top defenders to the club and then solidify that defence to make sure we don't concede enough goals that will see us lose championships and trophies.

Overall though, what a f**king start to the season. Three games, three clean sheets, three wins. Long may it f**king continue.

Alisson - during the opening two games I've commented on how I worry about him with the ball at his feet because he's so calm with it and thinks he has all the time in the world, at some point teams will rush him and it'll cost us. It nearly did against Brighton. Murray closed him down and was inches away from getting to the ball before our new keeper after he'd try to go round the Brighton forward. Now nobody will mention that because it didn't cost us in the end and because he made that save in the last few minutes but it doesn't disguise the fact that he was very nearly caught and needs to, in certain situations, just get rid of the ball quicker. Other than that, another flawless performance from him. Two really good saves, distribution was as good as Xabi Alonso and commanding when coming for crosses. Just get rid of the ball that bit quicker at times.

Alexander-Arnold - another solid performance from the youngster. Last season he was putting in standout performances on a regular basis but this year he looks to be more solid than flashy. His performances aren't as eye catching, maybe because we're used to them now, but instead a lot more steady. All season long he's been our out ball, just a shame his crossing hasn't quite found the mark yet. Three yellows in three matches as well may need to be looked at, could do without any suspensions this early into the campaign.

Gomez - continues to improve game after game and as far as I'm concerned, he's well and truly established himself as first choice centre half. Matip can f**k right off and Lovren will have to wait his turn because Joe Go has been immense and looks to be helped along the way by Van Dijk. Only thing I would like to see more of from Gomez is being a bit more vocal, lead from the back the way his defensive partner does. Also the save Alisson made at the end, I don't know how their centre forward gets in between our two centre halves that easily.

Van Dijk - As mentioned there with Gomez, the chance at the end was poor defending from our two but that was the only thing that was poor during the game because once again the two of them were exceptional. I keep saying it about Van Dijk but the way he's leading the back line is so impressive.

Robertson - like Trent on the other side, his performances have been steady rather than standouts so far this year. Unlike Trent though, his crossing has been spot on. I say it almost every game now but he's the best left back we've had in the Prem and for me, the best in the world right now.  Another strong outing from the Scot.

Wijnaldum - for me, he's been our player of the year so far. Immense in every game, doing the work nobody else really wants to. Nothing that catches the eye as such but such a vital member of the team. Breaking the play up, winning the ball back and then getting us on the front foot quickly. He's cemented his place in the team for the foreseeable future in my opinion. Dominated the midfield against Brighton and fully deserves all the man of the match votes.

Milner - another who has cemented their place in the side. When he arrived I openly admitted I never rated him as a player. And during his time here I've never really changed that opinion. He's been alright but I've always felt we could upgrade on him very easily. But f**k me, this season he's been outstanding. He's doing everything a central midfielder should be and he's doing it to such a high standard. He was boss once again against Brighton and long may it continue.

Keita - another good showing by our new man who has just slotted right into the team. He is the driving force of the middle three and you can see just how comfortable he is running with the ball. Keeps the ball ticking over, helps out at both ends of the pitch and has just been a joy to watch thus far. Already looks accustomed to life at Liverpool.

Salah - third game in, he's got two goals and we're saying our front three haven't even started yet. I know a lot of teams who'd love to have that sort of problem. Like most of the team, his performances have been steady rather than flashy this year. I don't know if Klopp has changed his style slightly from the heavy metal football to the more soft rock but it's getting results regardless. We're not full throttle going forward and yet we're still winning so hard to complain.

Firmino - it's not hard to complain about our number 9 though who again was disappointing for me. He got the assist though so that was a bonus. Just doesn't seem to of got going at all.

Mane - like Salah, we're talking about them not clicking into gear yet and he already has three in three. Admittedly though, against Brighton he was shocking. Gave the ball away numerous times and looked to be half asleep for most of the game. I think the game was too easy for him (and most of the team) so he didn't respect it the way he should of. Sloppy passes, lazy runs and just a really poor all round performance.

Henderson - another good run out for the lad, who Klopp is obviously intent on giving minutes to. Nothing any of sort of note during his twenty minutes or so but he's still making up for a lack of pre-season.

Sturridge - like Henderson, there seems to be an intent from Klopp on giving Danny some game time. Even if it's not as much as some of us would like. Ten minutes on the field and did alright. I would of liked to see him run the clock down a bit more than trying for the second goal in those last few minutes though but we know Sturridge is a goalscorer and he wants to score at every opportunity.

Matip - hopefully Klopp isn't intent on giving this man game time because the lad just isn't good enough in my opinion but in the two or three minutes he was on, he didn't do a lot wrong so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Overall, a solid, well fought out victory. We were never gonna lose but it was just a case of can we nick that goal and through Salah, we did. Like I said with Mane, I think the game was too easy for us because Brighton were posing no threat or even intent on going forward so it was easy to knock the ball around and that's why the respect wasn't paid to the passes by some of our players. They knew we were always gonna win, it was just a matter of when.

Next up Leicester and a win there to go into the poxy internationals with four from four would be the perfect f**king start for Jürgen and the boys.

Everyone around us is dropping points so all we need to do is concentrate on ourselves and make sure we're taking advantage of their mishaps.

Made up right now.

Thank you Reds!
      Good post. I just want to see us get that 2nd goal so we aren't vulnerable to the odd deflection or mental mishap. Use possession better and no player should fall victim to overconfidence. No team in England is invincible...yet.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #271: Aug 27, 2018 09:25:06 pm
      Lad has 3 games under his belt...give him a chance...🙄
      What do you mean, "give him a chance"...??
      Shabs go back and read my post and tell me where i have put him down...?
      I have said he is  a great addition to the team...

It is not a put down or a negative to say that it was not the type of player i thought we were getting,the way he was hyped up...

Even ended the post with "Great player, just not what i was expecting"
      Tell how that is not

a) Talking up the player...?

b) Not giving him a chance...?

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #272: Aug 27, 2018 09:29:21 pm
      Like he did on our opening goal vs. West Ham. You'll see more of that. He wasn't at his best Saturday, I'll grant you. But you'll see more of what you expected, I'm sure of it.
      Yeah....  I believe he will get there in the end... He already showing he is building and understanding with Mane, can't wait for his him to score, that will build his confidence more
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #273: Aug 28, 2018 05:37:39 am

You weren’t watching the West Ham game then, when he got the ball and ran at the defence before playing the ball to Robbo to get the assist for Salah...
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #274: Aug 28, 2018 12:17:31 pm
      You weren’t watching the West Ham game then, when he got the ball and ran at the defence before playing the ball to Robbo to get the assist for Salah...
      Yeah saw that mate, but was think that we were buying a player that would do that most of the time instead of some of the time.... Still look a special player to me, and one that will take us forward in leaps and bounds
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #275: Aug 28, 2018 12:30:56 pm
      Yeah saw that mate, but was think that we were buying a player that would do that most of the time instead of some of the time.... Still look a special player to me, and one that will take us forward in leaps and bounds

Brighton were set up to limit us as much as possible, was always going to be difficult with the overall performance of our players too. Palace he was still running at the defence.

He’s only going to get better.

Quick Reply