Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Alisson
      3 (2.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      77 (61.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (4.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (12.7%)
      James Milner
      5 (4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (2.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Sep 05, 2018 02:22:44 pm

Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29560 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Sep 02, 2018 12:32:42 am
      Seriously what the f**k with some of the comment on here. Yes Alisson f*cks about with the ball too much with his feet and needs to learn about the pace of the premier league, but;
      a) he actually has a touch and can handle close ball control
      b) his distribution is top drawer
      c) he's already made some result saving saves
      d) he's miles above the big sacks of wind we had in place before him

Those slating him after 1 mistake  can go suck their own todgers. He made 0 unforced errors last season screwing about just as regularly. He will learn with time that he cant play it too risky in the most demanding league on the planet.

He's helped big time by a stupendous defense. His saves have been mainly of the routine kind that anyone at the PL level would make. The one against Brighton towards the end is probably overblown because it was late in the game, but it was within arm's reach of him to get to it. Ryan's save on Firmino's header, for example, is amazing save and very tough to make and is better than anything Alisson has been asked to do so far because we are defending so well.

Our schedule to start the year has been pretty mild. Leicester is the best team we've played (though not taking anything away from today's game because it's not an easy place to go in and win) and they'll probably land in the 8-10 spot. Palace, WBA and WH are all teams that'll be struggling to get 40 points and out of the relegation zone. The real test starts soon as September is real tough with Spurs, PSG and Chelsea so we'll get to see more then if he cuts it or not.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #507: Sep 02, 2018 01:15:17 am
      Seriously what the f**k with some of the comment on here. Yes Alisson f*cks about with the ball too much with his feet and needs to learn about the pace of the premier league, but;
      a) he actually has a touch and can handle close ball control
      b) his distribution is top drawer
      c) he's already made some result saving saves
      d) he's miles above the big sacks of wind we had in place before him

Those slating him after 1 mistake  can go suck their own todgers. He made 0 unforced errors last season screwing about just as regularly. He will learn with time that he cant play it too risky in the most demanding league on the planet.
      Again... It was not one mistake, Did the same last week and barely got away with It, So you would think that he might have learnt from the last game... Apparently not....

And as for the whole "He made 0 unforced errors last season screwing about just as regularly."... Does that not worry you...? How would you feel if we made the CL final again next year screwing around he lost the ball and cost us the Final...??

I would rather that he Don't Screw Around
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #508: Sep 02, 2018 02:00:38 am
      I do not want a hendo/wijnaldum pairing ever again. One can't move the ball forward fast enough and took ages to decide what to do with the ball while the other has got problem for years in moving the ball forward.  Leicester pressed us in midfield and we were sh*t then. On this count, we have not given our defense enough credit. Our midfiled was as porous as a sieve while our defence soaking up all the pressure. If it had not been a comical error by Alisson, we would have kept a clean sheet. Hope Klopp doesn't play it too cute to have this pairing again in the next game against spuds, otherwise we will get slaughtered.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #509: Sep 02, 2018 02:55:55 am
      It was not one mate, It was one he did not get away with... In truth I think that Ederson is a better goal keeper than Allison

Brazil disagrees
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #510: Sep 02, 2018 04:00:10 am
      Let's be real, he hasn't been tested properly yet for anyone to use as a defence for his overconfident mistake but, that's also what it was, a non detrimental F***ing reminder what's at stake over here.. This was a perfect lesson early in the season after clearly being effected by the plaudits for the "chip".. An early wakeup call to the balance he must keep. sh*t happens for a reason.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #511: Sep 02, 2018 04:49:35 am
      I do not want a hendo/wijnaldum pairing ever again. One can't move the ball forward fast enough and took ages to decide what to do with the ball while the other has got problem for years in moving the ball forward.  Leicester pressed us in midfield and we were sh*t then. On this count, we have not given our defense enough credit. Our midfiled was as porous as a sieve while our defence soaking up all the pressure. If it had not been a comical error by Alisson, we would have kept a clean sheet. Hope Klopp doesn't play it too cute to have this pairing again in the next game against spuds, otherwise we will get slaughtered.

Agree mate, let alone Hendo+Gini+Milner :mad:
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #512: Sep 02, 2018 09:15:37 am
      Agree mate, let alone Hendo+Gini+Milner :mad:

I agree 100% here, the defence has been excellent, Leicester's goal wasnt exactly through opening us up, more like us opening ourselves up
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #513: Sep 02, 2018 09:24:04 am
      Agreed about the midfield above. But it seems we now have our own Brazil nut. Let's hope the boss sorts him out.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #514: Sep 02, 2018 09:24:44 am
      Wow it still going on the navel gazing. If we lose a game we are going to have to have the Samaritans take on extra staff.
      Mistakes like his yesterday can be corrected being a serial fumbler cant.
      I suggest those who are so concerned check out the league table and reflect on the fact we haven't got out of second gear yet but remain unbeaten and have conceded just one goal just enjoy it ffs.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #515: Sep 02, 2018 09:35:15 am
      I believe that Allison is going to be one of our great goalkeepers. Full of confidence (maybe too full) but a character who we will all grow to love. I think that all Liverpool supporters deep down appreciate a goalkeeper who has a touch of madness about him. Makes them special. Let's hope he turns out to be  a Clemence rather than a Brucie.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #516: Sep 02, 2018 09:54:35 am
      This is the way Klopp wants to play with the keeper playing out from the back. We got away with it yesterday but I think Alisson will soon realise that this is the EPL and the players in it will not afford him any repect he may or may not have had playing in serie A or for Brazil. I think it was a rude awakening for him yesterday and he will soon learn that. I'm not too worried about it as I think his skill set far outweigh that blunder. He's going to come against it in the future, he's still very new to the league and his play and communication with other players will improve I'm sure so let's not hang him just yet.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #517: Sep 02, 2018 10:16:36 am
      Mistakes happen and boy it was a massive clanger. We were lucky that we got away with it and collected 3 points.
      Rather he did it in a game like yesterday than at the Old Toilet  >:(.

I'm sure Jürgen would have had a quiet word with him.
      Any way people, we are top of the league looking down on everyone else.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #518: Sep 02, 2018 12:01:21 pm
      It was not one mate, It was one he did not get away with... In truth I think that Ederson is a better goal keeper than Allison

The Brazil coach and footballing community at large disagree with you. If you look at Ederson he makes plenty of little blunders during the game as well and his distribution is not even close to Alisson's.
      Bottom line if you don't appreciate the huge step up in quality that Alisson has given us then you clearly know zero about goalkeeping so its little point discussing it further with you.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #519: Sep 02, 2018 12:30:27 pm
      One 'head gone' moment aside, Alisson was brilliant again and did all that was asked of him.

I'm more concerned that VvD was a little sloppy here and there. And I'm not too concerned about that.

What really worries me is Hendo, Milner and Wijnaldum in midfield. Looking forward to Keita, Fabinho, and Whoever. Right now I'd pick Milly over Henderson all day long. 

As the Brighton fans sang to Henderson "You're just a cr@p James Milner" :D I wouldn't go that far but I do think we need to stop using all three in midfield.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #520: Sep 02, 2018 12:41:39 pm
      Watched it again.

Leicester really compressed the play in the 2nd half, their defense pushed right up, they played 4v3 in the middle, with one spare and 2 forwards pressing our back line, at times, and at others, simply crowding us out 5v3.

In other words, they killed the midfield space.
      It was an effective tactic that stopped us playing how we wanted to, as the back line no longer had the space to knock the ball around and probe for openings.
      We became reactive rather than pro-active after they made their changes, and they were able to gain the initiative.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #521: Sep 02, 2018 12:44:37 pm
      I think that 3 points at Leicester the way they are playing was a massive win for us, how we won doesn't really bother me that much at the moment as we will get better, I think some are underestimating the result we have just achieved.

It is a good point, Leicester were very good in that game, surprisingly so actually. Apart from Alisson's blunder the defence were very solid, it was the midfield and attack which were quite poor yesterday, by their normal high standards.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #522: Sep 02, 2018 12:53:00 pm
      Watched it again.

Leicester really compressed the play in the 2nd half, their defense pushed right up, they played 4v3 in the middle, with one spare and 2 forwards pressing our back line, at times, and at others, simply crowding us out 5v3.

It was an effective tactic that stopped us playing how we wanted to, as the back line no longer had the space to knock the ball around and probe for openings.
      We became reactive rather than pro-active after they made their changes, and they were able to gain the initiative.

That's something we'll need to counter better in the future, having a more dynamic midfield would no doubt help. Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum at the same time simply does not work.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #523: Sep 02, 2018 01:21:10 pm
      Watched it again.

Impressive summary.

I think we went quite a ways of countering it when Keita came on. For the life of me I can't think why Klopp keeps picking Henderson.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #524: Sep 02, 2018 01:32:08 pm
      For the life of me I can't think why Klopp keeps picking Henderson.
      Because Chamberlain is injured and Fabinho is not ready.
      What is so difficult to comprehend?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #525: Sep 02, 2018 01:53:01 pm
      Impressive summary.

I think we went quite a ways of countering it when Keita came on. For the life of me I can't think why Klopp keeps picking Henderson.

When Keita came on, Henderson had started to tire, he wasn't hooked, it was a tactical change and to bring on fresh legs.
      Keita is a ball carrier, so Leicester sat off him a little bit instead of pressing him, as he moved into space wherever he could find it, leaving the holding position to someone else.
      It wasn't a like for like substitution in the sense of Keita coming in to play deep, he had more of a free role to try and push Leicester back and create some breathing space for us.
      Essentially, he was brought on to break the defensive lines and put them on the back foot.

Because Henderson is a very good footballer.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #526: Sep 02, 2018 02:46:24 pm
      Because Chamberlain is injured and Fabinho is not ready.
      What is so difficult to comprehend?
      I'm very sorry your Excellency, please forgive this ignorant pleb.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #527: Sep 02, 2018 02:47:03 pm
      When Keita came on, Henderson had started to tire, he wasn't hooked, it was a tactical change and to bring on fresh legs.
      Keita is a ball carrier, so Leicester sat off him a little bit instead of pressing him, as he moved into space wherever he could find it, leaving the holding position to someone else.
      It wasn't a like for like substitution in the sense of Keita coming in to play deep, he had more of a free role to try and push Leicester back and create some breathing space for us.
      Essentially, he was brought on to break the defensive lines and put them on the back foot.
      That does makes sense.

Because Henderson is a very good footballer.
      I strongly disagree.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #528: Sep 02, 2018 03:17:44 pm
      I am sick of this Henderson bashing. Steven Gerrard couldn't do the job Hendo does because he never had the discipline. I have seen Klopp with Hendo he really appreciates the fact that this lad puts his team first and carries out his managers orders to perfection.
      He is never going to be a MOTM candidate week in week out but FFS stop having a go at him for not being Stevie.

Quick Reply