Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Alisson
      3 (2.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      77 (61.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (4.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (12.7%)
      James Milner
      5 (4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (2.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Sep 05, 2018 02:22:44 pm

Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30136 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Sep 01, 2018 05:03:59 pm
      We went into the first 4 games looking for 12 points, and 12 points is what we got.

But the posters claiming we would have drawn/lost it last year are wrong. We did win this game last year, by the same margin in the same way, despite several goalkeeping and defensive bloopers. The performance was not an easy watch then either, but we got the three points. The error Alisson made has been coming but he recovered well and did what he had to do without fuss after it, so if he learns from it, it's no harm done.

With 5 points more than at the same stage last season, we've got the start we wanted and we are where we want to be. This is just the warm up for the games next month. The performance levels will have to be first class then.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #461: Sep 01, 2018 05:19:46 pm
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #462: Sep 01, 2018 05:19:48 pm
      For the last several years, I can recall reading many posts that go: 

"Good performance, but a sh*t result.  I'd rather have it the other way round all day long." 

Now we've been having it the other way, and people still find reasons to moan. 

4 wins from 4. 
      Top of the league. 
      9 scored and only 1 conceded. 

What more can you ask for ???
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #463: Sep 01, 2018 05:35:44 pm
      I would ask for Chelsea losing.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #464: Sep 01, 2018 05:42:11 pm
      Today was not an easy game but any means but we are getting very good at grinding games out for the W. Even though we quite didn't have it today we defended well and don't even think we allowed any quality, open chances against. The most dangerous one was cleared by Gomez with a great block early in the 2nd half.

Mane looked possessed in preseason and has continued that to start the season with Bobby and Salah not quite there yet but that will come. A bit surprised Keita was rotated out but in the end it all worked out. I like Milner but to me he should not be a fixture in our starting XI so that is my only minor gripe with Klopp early on. Shaq or Lallana deserve a start, though after the dumb international break schedule gets crowded so they'll all get their chance.

Love the way Gomez has come along and looked a stud next to VVD. He's physical, good smarts and pace to recover or cover for someone else. This is why we did not need Yerri fking Mina or anyone else this summer. I imagine he's starting going forward and Lovren / Matip become the 2nd pairing, what a luxury to have. Overall the defense the first 4 games has been fantastic leaving Alisson to only have to make routine saves and just focus on being a steady hand. Today's F**k up almost cost us big so hopefully he'll learn from it, and imagine he will, so as long as his head does not get bigger than his ability like it did today he'll be fine and we'll keep ticking along. We got something really good going.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #465: Sep 01, 2018 05:52:05 pm
      Think Klopp partly does to be honest.

Klopp indeed mentions other LFC team members contributing to Leicester's goal, then adds the following on his reaction to Alisson's role: "Football is a game where a lot of mistakes happen over 90 minutes. But that one was a big one, decisive because we conceded a goal. But the reaction was brilliant and I’m completely fine. How I said, it was always clear it will happen. It needed to happen so that it will not happen again. I think today was the day."
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #466: Sep 01, 2018 05:53:24 pm
      I think Allison needs to learn from this performance, not just the clear error that led to the goal but he put us under a lot of unnecessary pressure. He was getting rid of it when he should have been holding on to it and holding on to it when he should be getting rid.

Leicester pressed very well, it must be said, but we weren’t helped by the fact that Allison kept pinging balls in to our midfielders and we would invariably concede possession.

The guy really is an outstanding keeper and I can even live with the occasional error but it was more than that today.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #467: Sep 01, 2018 05:55:42 pm

Another 3 points in the bag, and our best players will soon be finding their form as they get fitter and more in tune with the new lads, but going by some of the comments on here, you'd think we'd lost and been hammered out of sight.

I so enjoy seeing posters who only show up to whinge and never post after a good win.
      I'd swear some fuckers want us to lose just so they can log in and whinge.

Apparently now all that has to happen is us conceding a goal...
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #468: Sep 01, 2018 06:01:10 pm
      Another three points that maintain our position at the top of the League. A very ugly game but a game that we battled hard to win. I thought Gomez and van Dijk were outstanding given the fact that our midfield failed to protect them in any way, shape or form.

I can't remember the last time i saw a midfield performance as poor as that, absolutely shocking. They absolutely blitzed us second half, it was embarrassing. Henderson and Wijnaldum were abysmal and i bet Klopp will let them know after that shambles.

Alisson? What the f**k was that attempt at a Cruyff turn on the edge of your box, just f**king hoof the c**t into Row Z and get back in your area. Klopp will beast him for that, luckily for Alisson it didn't cost us any points. A lot seems to be made of our front three and their lack of cohesion but i would put that down to the shambolic service they received from the midfield three. They were dire.

Not a lot to be happy about regarding the performance but as badly as we played we got the result and that is ultimately what matters most. A lot of room for improvement but we are 100% and playing below par. That is a good sign.

Another thing that is pissing me off is referees automatically giving free kicks for high feet when the feet are not high. The rule always used to be that if the ball was chest height and a player went in with his feet and an opponent went in with his head then the player who went in with his head did so at his own risk, now it is like a goalkeeper rule. F***ing annoying and another step forward for the non contact game it is slowly becoming.

Well done Redmen, running at 40% and still top of the League. Hopefully the next few high quality opponents will awaken us from this slumber.

P.S. Thought Gomez was outstanding today, simply outstanding.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2018 06:05:40 pm by hardcoresoldier »
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #469: Sep 01, 2018 06:01:24 pm
      Really hard fought win and but for the mistake I didn't really see them scoring. I'm loving the way we now seem to be able to dig in, defend and manage the game now. I thought he keeper has done well wi his saves, been really solid with the highball thus far this season plus his distribution is super be. The one bit of his game that simply isn't necessary is the show boating when he is pressed. When it comes off there isn't really any reward so the risk is not worth it. Hopefully that's the last we see of it. Manes' start compared to last season has been the brightest light in a bright start to the season. Got our first proper test after the international break so let's see how we fare against a fellow challenger.

Also, compare our bench tonight vs last season. Keita, Studge, Shakira Shakira, Matip. So much better.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #470: Sep 01, 2018 06:02:23 pm
      Apparently now all that has to happen is us conceding a goal...

Indeed.
      The serial whingers are running out of things to whinge about.

Ah well, if that's their thing, and they get enjoyment from it, I can only feel sorry for them.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #471: Sep 01, 2018 06:27:59 pm
      it would be incredibly worrying if we were playing at our very best and drawing games but to be just finding our way into this season and end up with 12 points from 4 games is just PERFECT and no real need to pull performance apart.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #472: Sep 01, 2018 06:28:56 pm
      Ha ha,

Thought we were f***in sh*te 2nd half, but who gives a F**k, yet another banana skin we have got over without playing anywhere near our best,
      Leicester had us on toast if we're all honest and are unlucky to come away with F**k all,
      Now we have a cringe worthy international break followed by a run of 5 games in 14 days, so we need to up our game pretty f***in smartly,
      Spuds are up next and they as we all know are a f***in good outfit,

But thats how we want it isn't it, the bigger the better,, one of our main rivals particularly this season,  so in essence its a top 4  6 pointer, and a chance to open a early gap,....Anyhoo...

Thought young Joe Gomez was immense so deserving of motm, Robertson was excellent again so 8/10 as for the rest , can't be arsed naming them all but 7/10 for effort,

Great win that despite it being way under par, but like last week, F**k all wrong in winning ugly, were top of the league with a 100% record,
      sh*t, anyone would think we're proper contenders, what d'ya think Jose ?

YNWA
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #473: Sep 01, 2018 06:52:56 pm
      Leicester had us on toast if we're all honest and are unlucky to come away with f**k all,

They completely outplayed United in the season opener at OT and were unlucky to get F**k all from that game as well.  They are a decent side, and I won't be too surprised if they challenge teams like Arsenal and United for a place in the top 6 this season. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #474: Sep 01, 2018 07:16:32 pm
      They completely outplayed United in the season opener at OT and were unlucky to get f**k all from that game as well.  They are a decent side, and I won't be too surprised if they challenge teams like Arsenal and United for a place in the top 6 this season. 

The perfect scenario Harry would be Leicester pipping the Munts to the last Europa league spot, that for me would be ideal karma for that season opener 🤣

YNWA
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #475: Sep 01, 2018 07:56:01 pm
      Is this team better than the one from last season? Because I have to tell you, I don't think so. When I look at all 4 games it's like our last season, just with more luck. More and more I regret not gettin Fekir and instead Alisson.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #476: Sep 01, 2018 08:03:22 pm
      Pity Allison had to go and do that, after all the stupid mistakes from guys gone before him, was annoying after an otherwise well enough ground out 3 points and sub par performance from the lads.
      Its not every day Mo is subbed, but he was quiet, as was Bob who I thought was pretty poor ... up until he scored that is :) Mane again the main man, finished well and looks sharper than the other two lads right now.
      VVD and Gomez did really well all day, but I went for Robbo as MOTM, basically all but scored the 1st and was solid and full of energy, what a signing he's turned out to be.
      Think the Gini/Hendo/Milly midfield lacks creativity/edge, hopefully Naby forces Jürgen to start him.
      Subs did OK when they came on, Shaq was looking for the ball and did well without creating too much - thought he might start after the stuff in the media about changes, but Jürgen I guess sees them every day.
      Whoever thought it was a good idea to put long throws into the area when defending a lead with minutes to go, needs to rethink the strategy.
      Overall good first half performance, ropey second - but the difference is we now have a solid defense to shore things up when our game goes missing - OK Allison had a brain fart, but he's a much better keeper than any we've had for years.
      4 wins out of 4, 12 pts out of 12 - the stats that really matter.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #477: Sep 01, 2018 08:11:21 pm
      OK Allison had a brain fart, but he's a much better keeper than any we've had for years.

Alisson is one more brain fart away from being Karius 2.0, remember: last game he had already a fart.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #478: Sep 01, 2018 08:30:00 pm

But and its a big BUT, we have played below par so far but we have 12 points and a decent goal difference.

That's true... When we start firing on all cylinders Look out Prem' and Europe...
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #479: Sep 01, 2018 08:38:51 pm
      It could be a good thing that we did not do well in this game so that the lads will think that when they come back from international break they will need to do better. It's Salah that I'm worry of. He's not himself of late.
      I don't think that there is much wrong with Salah side from teams knowing what t expect from him now.It's  Firmino who seems to be the one struggling. Little flicks and passes which where coming off last season and in the World Cup are not at the moment and he seems to be struggling in front of goal too ... Yes he scored today but other than than he seems a step behind the play at present
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #480: Sep 01, 2018 08:45:35 pm
      Very disappointed about Alisson. Two bad mistakes in two games in a row. That's not promising. Glad to have Mig as an option, honestly.

Not a good game, but good enough. Without Alisson's brainfuck we would have cruised to an easy win.
      The only thing that seems different between Allison and Karius at present is Allison's command of the area from crosses, corners etc... I am not saying we should not have bought Allison, He was needed, But rather I am saying we should have kept Karius too worked with him to rebuild his confidence and He could have learnt from Allison how to be more commanding in the area
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #481: Sep 01, 2018 08:49:14 pm
      Alisson is one more brain fart away from being Karius 2.0, remember: last game he had already a fart.

And he will have them again and again..the difference is he doesn't give a f**k...Virgil makes mistakes in almost every game...do you think his confidence is shattered?...Virgil does not care and neither does his teamates...both know he is boss and they all move on...Alisson is the exact same way.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #482: Sep 01, 2018 08:49:16 pm
      Yeah Alisson makes one silly mistake after looking 100% assured at the back  so lets bring back Migs. Unless you are being sarcastic please F**k OFF!!!!
      It was not one mate, It was one he did not get away with... In truth I think that Ederson is a better goal keeper than Allison

Quick Reply