Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

The Letter I sent to F365

Read 9827 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: The Letter I sent to F365
      Reply #23: Nov 14, 2007 10:57:33 am
      Don't you love me anymore, I'm so upset you've fell out with me :f_tongueincheek:

DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #24: Nov 14, 2007 11:01:56 am
      MsGerrard - don't come on a thread and try to belittle someone -  you have no right to do that.  You're very annoying - you do it all the time!

Ra Ra is passionate about his views - and just because you disagree - doesn't mean you're right and he's wrong.

Being negative isn't always a bad thing - it can mean you care and want better for Liverpool - the sooner some of you realise that the better!

Ans please don't point out my huge minus total - do I care?!?

Richobaz can I point out that MsG was making light of a situation & not trying to 'belittle' someone...sometimes a humorous comment can lighten the mood.

Some posters on here are very reactionary to others views & maybe they should consider their posts carefully before clicking the 'post' button.

I remember a quote somewhere that goes like this..."The Internet always remembers"
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #25: Nov 14, 2007 11:11:36 am
      Richobaz can I point out that MsG was making light of a situation & not trying to 'belittle' someone...sometimes a humorous comment can lighten the mood.

Some posters on here are very reactionary to others views & maybe they should consider their posts carefully before clicking the 'post' button.

I remember a quote somewhere that goes like this..."The Internet always remembers"
      DM Osbon - Is it the fact that I'm sticking up for Ra Ra - that's the problem for you?

Why does there constantly have to be a 'you and us'?

Ra Ra made a point - and someone coming on here and saying:

"RaRaRafa you are digging yourself into a bigger and deeper hole tonight with some of your posts, by the way I think you mean phrase, not frase?  ** and losing not loosing
      Use your spellchecker eh!

I'd quit now if I was you.

and

"Well you are obviously concerned about the amount of - minus points you are getting, so I would take a good long look at yourself and ask why?"

So in your opinion - being sarcastic via the internet is making it a light hearted situation? 

I aint that bothered it's not even my debate - just wanted to say I don't think it's fair!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #26: Nov 14, 2007 12:56:54 pm

MsGerrard - don't come on a thread and try to belittle someone

Richobaz - Some people would pay good money to be belittled by MsGerrard.

Humiliation, of course, is much more expensive. >:D

Back on topic I am amazed that people consider that given the money we have paid we should be playing fantasy football.  What seems to be forgotten is that with all the extra money in the premiership this season a lot of teams are spending big money and have strengthened their squads.  Those that haven't e.g. Derby & Wigan are getting stuffed.  United have come from a stronger position than us and spent more than us and they still had a stuttering start.  It also takes time for a team to emerge from the squad especially when a lot of new players are introduced.  Before this season Rafa didn't have big bucks to spend and as a result we had to settle for second best at times.  There is no way you could expect him to turn it round overnight but I've got to say we are not doing too badly so far.  I think things are now coming together.

The only team to have produced fantasy football immediately after spending in the transfer market was Chelski.  This was because they spent fantasy money - and no one, not even United who were the biggest spenders up until then, could compete with that.

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #27: Nov 14, 2007 02:02:10 pm
      Some good points in your letter mate as in the repairs Rafa has had to make since Ged went, but to be honest it isn’t that hard to find critics regarding this unbeaten run we are on, as It is all well and good not losing games but because of the three points system drawing too many is going to punish you fairly quickly. The problem we have is that when Man U and Arsenal stuttered a bit we once again didn’t capitalise on their errors, and whilst draws against Arsenal and Chelsea at home could be acceptable the same results against Birmingham, Portsmouth and the like are not especially as they were mainly due to tactical errors on the managers behalf.

Rafa whether we like to admit it or not still sometimes struggles to adapt his tactical thinking to gain success in the Premiership and where he has had massive victories for us in the Champions league he struggles to make the right team selections and for that matter any in game changes needed for wins against teams we should realistically be putting away.

Now after I have made these negative points I would like to add I feel all these problems are reversible and that in the long run if Rafa is given time, and certain sections of fans have a little patience we will see that league trophy at Anfield. The game against Fulham on Saturday I thought was a great improvement as at least when they looked like shutting up shop for a point we didn’t look devoid of ideas and the introduction of Torres was at exactly the right time. When all is said and done we are not miles behind the leaders even if we have dropped silly points so I certainly think if improvements can be made we can still make a challenge this year. I also don’t believe we have a divine right to be champions its something that requires a lot of hard work and dedication especially if you consider the fact there are at least three other teams who feel they should be winning the league each year as well!
      I wouldn’t rate Rafa as a ‘genius’ just yet but a bloody good manager he already certainly is and I for one will give him my full support, not through some sense of ‘blind faith’ or it’s ‘the Liverpool thing to do’ (oh all right maybe a bit of it is! ::)) but because I really honestly think when it matters he will deliver but unfortunately until that blessed day there will be mistakes made along the way.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 02:04:22 pm by Glenbuck »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #28: Nov 14, 2007 04:03:27 pm
      if we were to win the league this season, man u finished second eight points behind us and arsenal finished third nine points behind us would u think arsenal had challenged for the title????
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #29: Nov 14, 2007 04:16:43 pm
      Oldred - more like Olddog !

Going back to the original letter - it's the same old some people like Rafa and some don't.

I think both arguments are justified.  Until Rafa seriously challenges for the league - then his rotation policy will always be questioned as the fault...and that reflects on him as a manager

MONEY!  He's had enough to have bought us a world-beating side - so others may have spent more - not many have spent £26m on one player!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #30: Nov 14, 2007 04:33:46 pm
      If its going to finish in the league in accordance to our financial investment, then we should be 3rd.  As for spending about 21m on a player goes, utd bought bought 4 players averaging about that figure in the summer!  Tevez has a clause of 31m apparently.  Have you forgot how  many players chelsea have bought for that amount of money Shevchenko, drogba, SWP....etc.

In rafa we trust
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #31: Nov 14, 2007 04:37:32 pm
      If its going to finish in the league in accordance to our financial investment, then we should be 3rd.  As for spending about 21m on a player goes, utd bought bought 4 players averaging about that figure in the summer!  Tevez has a clause of 31m apparently.  Have you forgot how  many players chelsea have bought for that amount of money Shevchenko, drogba, SWP....etc.

In rafa we trust

King Kenny - if it just about money as you've put above - then surely we will never win the league?  As other clubs have spent more and will probably do so in the future.

Arsenal are proving it's not just about money - it's finding the right players at the right price and playing as a team.

So where do we go from here?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #32: Nov 14, 2007 05:05:46 pm
      That Rafa was able to win the Champions league with the squad means one thing, the team was not horrendous. A team the had Gerrard, L Garcia, R Fowler, Hypia, Carragher, H Kewell etc can not be called horrendous.

People need to understand some facts here

1) Rafa did not inherit a crappy team

The 04/05 squad which Rafa inherited

20   Scott Carson   1985-09-03   ENG   1.91   2005   Leeds United
      1   Jerzy Dudek   1973-03-23   POL   1.87   2001   Feyenoord Rotterdam, Sokol Tychy, Concordia Knorw
      22   Chris Kirkland   1981-05-02   ENG   1.91   2001   Coventry City
      29   Patrice Luzi   1980-07-08   FRA   1.90   2002   AS Monaco, AC Ajaccio
      23   Jamie Carragher   1978-01-28   ENG   1.88      keine / none
      3   Steve Finnan   1976-04-20   IRL   1.82   2003   Fulham FC, Notts County, Birmingham City, Welling United
      4   Sami Hyypiä   1973-10-07   FIN   1.92   1999   Willem II Tilburg, MyPa Anjalankoski, KuMu Kuusankoski, Pallo-Perikot
      17   Josemi   1979-09-15   ESP   1.83   2004   Malaga CF
      36   Jon Otsemobor   1983-03-23   ENG      2004   Bolton Wanderers, Liverpool FC, Hull City
      12   Mauricio Andres Pellegrino   1971-10-05   ARG   1.93   2005   Valencia CF, FC Barcelona, Velez Sarsfield
      31   David Raven   1985-03-10   ENG         keine / none
      6   John Arne Riise   1980-09-24   NOR   1.85   2001   AS Monaco, Aalesunds FK
      21   Djimi Traoré   1980-03-01   FRA   1.92   2002   RC Lens, Liverpool FC, Stade Laval
      28   Stephen Warnock   1981-12-12   ENG   1.83   2004   Coventry City, Liverpool FC, Bradford City
      37   Zak Whitbread   1984-01-10   USA         
      25   Igor Biscan   1978-05-04   CRO   1.90   2001   Dinamo Zagreb, NK Samobor, ONS Hitrec-Kacian
      8   Steven Gerrard   1980-05-30   ENG   1.88      keine / none
      16   Dietmar Hamann   1973-08-27   GER   1.90   1999   Newcastle United, Bayern München, Wacker München
      7   Harry Kewell   1978-09-22   AUS   1.82   2003   Leeds United, NSW Soccer Academy
      10   Luis Garcia   1978-06-24   ESP   1.76   2004   FC Barcelona, Atlético Madrid, Real Valladolid, CD Tenerife, CD Toledo
      18   Antonio Nunez   1979-01-15   ESP   1.83   2004   Real Madrid
      26   Ritchie Partridge   1980-09-12   IRL   1.73   2003   Coventry City, Bristol Rovers, Liverpool FC
      11   Vladimir Smicer   1973-05-24   CZE   1.78   1999   RC Lens, Slavia Praha, Kovostroj Decin, TJ Vernerice
      32   John Welsh   1984-01-10   ENG      1994   keine / none
      14   Xabi Alonso   1981-11-25   ESP   1.83   2004   Real Sociedad, SD Eibar
      5   Milan Baros   1981-10-28   CZE   1.84      Banik Ostrava, FK Roznov pod Radhostem, FC Vigantice
      9   Djibrill Cissé   1981-08-12   FRA   1.83   2004   AJ Auxerre, Olympique Nîmes
      13   Anthony Le Tallec   1984-10-03   FRA   1.84   2005   AS St.-Etienne, Liverpool FC, Le Havre AC
      33   Neil Mellor   1982-11-04   ENG      2004   West Ham United, Liverpool FC
      19   Fernando Morientes   1976-04-05   ESP   1.82   2005   Real Madrid, AS Monaco, Real Zaragoza, Albacete Balompié, CD Sonseca
      24   Florent Sinama

He signed morientes, alonso, nunez, garcia, pellegrino and Josemi. Cisse arrived then but wasnt a benitez signing. Take them out of there and its far from a great squad he inherited a few average players and a lot of young players in there. To win the european cup with that squad was a huge achievment and he will deliver a prem title and more europen cups if the board back him up when he requests funds. Have patience people
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #33: Nov 14, 2007 06:52:31 pm
      The 04/05 squad which Rafa inherited

20   Scott Carson   1985-09-03   ENG   1.91   2005   Leeds United
      1   Jerzy Dudek   1973-03-23   POL   1.87   2001   Feyenoord Rotterdam, Sokol Tychy, Concordia Knorw
      22   Chris Kirkland   1981-05-02   ENG   1.91   2001   Coventry City

23   Jamie Carragher   1978-01-28   ENG   1.88      keine / none
      3   Steve Finnan   1976-04-20   IRL   1.82   2003   Fulham FC, Notts County, Birmingham City, Welling United
      4   Sami Hyypiä   1973-10-07   FIN   1.92   1999   Willem II Tilburg, MyPa Anjalankoski, KuMu Kuusankoski, Pallo-Perikot

6   John Arne Riise   1980-09-24   NOR   1.85   2001   AS Monaco, Aalesunds FK
      21   Djimi Traoré   1980-03-01   FRA   1.92   2002   RC Lens, Liverpool FC, Stade Laval

8   Steven Gerrard   1980-05-30   ENG   1.88      keine / none

7   Harry Kewell   1978-09-22   AUS   1.82   2003   Leeds United, NSW Soccer Academy

5   Milan Baros   1981-10-28   CZE   1.84      Banik Ostrava, FK Roznov pod Radhostem, FC Vigantice
      9   Djibrill Cissé   1981-08-12   FRA   1.83   2004   AJ Auxerre, Olympique Nîmes

24   Florent Sinama Pongolle

The edited team still has a core better than average.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #34: Nov 14, 2007 06:59:49 pm
      Sorry, I disagree. With the money Benitez has spent we should be playing fantasy football and brushing the poor sides away! We are far from qualification in the champions league after losing at home to L'OM... the supporters have every right to put him under pressure!

if you think like that, then maybe a job on the spurs board would suit you. all managers need time to settle, to build a squad there own way, it took wenger and Ferguson a long time to build squads capable of winning the title, so maybe we should give Rafa a break.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #35: Nov 14, 2007 07:58:00 pm
      all good things are built on solid foundations have a bit more faith fellow reds i bet all the manure fans who wanted fergis sacked 21 years ago are sure glad they didnt get their way rafa will deliver given the time and patience also with the success rafa created he built expectations up a little to high , i think we will run it close this year but next year i am expecting the big push for it (hope its this year though)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #36: Nov 14, 2007 08:08:13 pm
      The edited team still has a core better than average.

your edited team has 13 players that you call a solid core. 3 are keepers so thats 10 outfield players 1 of which, Cisse, missed most of the season with an injury. That ells me our manager deserves our patience respect and support
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #37: Nov 14, 2007 09:39:29 pm
      dudek

finnan hyypia biscan carragher

smicer gerrard hamman riise

Cisse  Baros

Kirkland, Warnock, traore, Salif diaos, Mellor, Kewell, le tallec, pontogolle....etc

Have a good look them players and the one which have left have hardly kicked a ball in the champions league.  And Carragher was made into a centre half by benitez.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 09:43:26 pm by king kenny »
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #38: Nov 14, 2007 10:10:55 pm
      your edited team has 13 players that you call a solid core. 3 are keepers so thats 10 outfield players 1 of which, Cisse, missed most of the season with an injury. That ells me our manager deserves our patience respect and support

I took out the ones Rafa signed. It is still a solid core. Six of those players are still playing active football in the LFC. Cisse is a point-man for marselle. Bottom line, Rafa Benitez is a very good coach, he as done well, and will find the winning formula for this season: but liverpool always had a solid core; and it is the responsibility of every manager to always inject new solid players in the squad.

We're on the same side.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 10:14:09 pm by solodee »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #39: Nov 14, 2007 10:22:26 pm
      King Kenny - if it just about money as you've put above - then surely we will never win the league?  As other clubs have spent more and will probably do so in the future.

Arsenal are proving it's not just about money - it's finding the right players at the right price and playing as a team.

So where do we go from here?

Listen mate, lets not count the eggs before they hatch, Arsenal have won nothing yet.  Arsene wenger, had a excellent/amazing team that managed to go over a season without losing and scoring in every game, how he managed to struggle to finish fourth had me puzzled.  Wenger has been very good in bringing youngsters, but have to give benitez a chance as he is also doing the same.

As a tactician the benchmark is the champions league in which you have two legs against the best teams, coming head to head with tacticians and teams that a full of confidence and that winning is a norm.  In the champions league wenger has been nothing short of pathetic when taking into consideration the talent he has taken into the competition.  Benitez has also been very good and efficient in the transfer market, not only with youngsters but buying squad players too.  I think he is up there maybe in second place at worst.  Put it this way, after three years how much dead wood do we have in our squad?  If we want to sell apart from the players that have past their sell by date, we will at least make our money back, infact quite a few of squad players we will make handsome profits.  

This controversial rotations system has its advantages, and one that is over looked IMO, is that the depreciation of squad players is minimised.  I don't agree fully with the rotation policy, but after three years, we are seeming to increasing the value of our assets, instead of selling players of 25% of their purchase price after a few years.

Where do we go from here!

As i have said I think he is the best tactician in the league, his record in the transfer market is also getting better.  The team and performances are getting better. The important thing is to see his plan through as i have mensioned before if we are going to return to glory we need a long serving manager.  Five years will give us a better indication of the direction he is taking the club, which is end of next season.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #40: Nov 14, 2007 11:26:22 pm
      Rafa inherited a pile of absolute crap. Saying elsewise is just BS.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #41: Nov 15, 2007 08:27:14 am
      Rafa inherited a pile of absolute crap. Saying elsewise is just BS.

The 'pile of absolute crap' under Gerard Houller, won in 2000 - 2001 The league Cup, The FA Cup, The UEFA Cup, and came 3rd in the Premiership, then in 2001 - 2002 won The European Super Cup and The Charity Shield. Then in 2005, The Champions League, under Rafa Benitez.

It must have been an achieving 'Pile of absolute Crap'.  ;D Recall LFC Icon ''Robbie Fowler''?, He was part of the winning 'Pile of absolute crap''  :D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #42: Nov 17, 2007 05:03:02 pm
      Recall LFC Icon ''Robbie Fowler''?, He was part of the winning 'Pile of absolute crap''  :D

This is the second time you've mentioned this, so I thought I'd set you straight. Rafa did not inherit Fowler, he was the one that brought him back from Man City halfway through his second season as manager.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #43: Nov 17, 2007 11:20:23 pm
      This is the second time you've mentioned this, so I thought I'd set you straight. Rafa did not inherit Fowler, he was the one that brought him back from Man City halfway through his second season as manager.

True. Houllier let him go along with David James,Paul Ince etc.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #44: Nov 18, 2007 02:12:07 pm
      I think some people on this forum really should think twice before saying something!!!

How many seasons did it take Ferguson to win his first champions league at Unitedd? 13 YEARS!!
      RAFA: 1!!!!

Ferguson to win the league? 7 YEARS!

Rafa has only had 3 full seasons, give him time! Get off his back and start supporting the club you love.

IN RAFA WE TRUST.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #45: Nov 19, 2007 08:11:56 am
      I think some people on this forum really should think twice before saying something!!!

How many seasons did it take Ferguson to win his first champions league at Unitedd? 13 YEARS!!
      RAFA: 1!!!!

Ferguson to win the league? 7 YEARS!

Rafa has only had 3 full seasons, give him time! Get off his back and start supporting the club you love.

IN RAFA WE TRUST.

I think everyone has a right to post their thots, some you will like, and some you will hate. It took Ferguson that long? Wow! Then I guess we're lucky because Rafa Benitez is much better than Ferguson. I am sure ALL will hail ''the King'' WHEN he achieves what took others 7 years in 4.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fans expecting so much. Rafa Benitez is still on point.

Quick Reply