Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (3.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (12.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      61 (45.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      26 (19.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      16 (11.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Voting closed: Sep 19, 2018 02:23:18 pm

Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24569 times
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Re: Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Sep 15, 2018 03:48:19 pm
      Another well fought win. It should’ve been at least 1-4 but no real complaints because I’m the end, regardless of the scoreline we didn’t look terribly worried.

5 from 5 and we move on.

A huge month of matches coming up.

Just like an earlier post saying someone will must likely soon enough cop a sore one with a hiding when we click.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #277: Sep 15, 2018 03:59:41 pm
      What’s really encouraging is that we haven’t really played that well as yet but we look very solid defensively. There is a level of confidence (without the ball) that we haven’t seen since Rafa. Mane was mom for me, has been our best offensive player thus far and has shown the form we saw in his first season at the club.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #278: Sep 15, 2018 04:13:02 pm
      Omfg, that is a f**king red card. I thought it was only a scratch to the eye area, wow...

Don't know about a red card but it would be classed as GBH or assault...

A friend of mine would push his thumb into someone's eye to stop a fight from escalating.. 👀

Would hold it in and say your move..
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #279: Sep 15, 2018 04:16:21 pm
      Is that real or photoshopped,F***ing hell if real.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #280: Sep 15, 2018 04:22:49 pm
      Gini my MOTM

5-0
      2 goals given up
      Near perfect
      But....just to nitpick:
      The front 3 chemistry is lacking in past 4 games.
      Fast break/odd man rush issues: holding onto the ball too long/hero ball selfishness
      Salah has been a turn over machine of late
      Mane and his offsides

I expect a wide open LFC/PSG match with the front 3 finally in sync
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #281: Sep 15, 2018 04:28:56 pm
      Omfg, that is a f**king red card. I thought it was only a scratch to the eye area, wow...
      He will need a bandage contact lens. It's likely he will need antiseptic eyedrops for a few months. He should be okay to play football in about a week if it is just an abrasion. He won't be in training for a couple of days, so he probably won't be facing PSG. Just speculation though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #282: Sep 15, 2018 04:42:50 pm
      How good has Milner been? Hard work, hard work and a little more hard work. His fitness levels are astounding. I heard he was a cross country runner when he was a schoolboy which probably explains a lot of his physical ability!

Credit to James Milner he works so hard for the team. Is this another example of Jürgen seeing a player and making him even better despite the fact James is well into his 30's he is playing like a 25 year old.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #283: Sep 15, 2018 04:50:30 pm
      Been knocked of the top unfortunately. Already looking like a three horse race
      Redangel

• 8,215 posts | 1000 
      Reply #284: Sep 15, 2018 05:04:33 pm
      Lost the stream for the 2nd half, delighted with the win but just seen the Firmino incident. The photo of it made me feel psysically sick, if that is real he should face a lengthy ban. Just worried for Firmino, and hope it isn’t as serious as it looked. Pochettino apparently said before the match that he wanted them to go for the kill, I think they took that literally.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #285: Sep 15, 2018 05:24:43 pm
      The main point today is how we controlled the game for large parts of it and looked as if we could score at will against a good Spurs side playing at home.
      Winning whilst playing just OK is fantastic and having a bench to change a game that isn't going our way is just a huge asset.
      Give it another 4 or 5 games and we will be cruising.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #286: Sep 15, 2018 05:46:29 pm
      Lost the stream for the 2nd half, delighted with the win but just seen the Firmino incident. The photo of it made me feel psysically sick, if that is real he should face a lengthy ban. Just worried for Firmino, and hope it isn’t as serious as it looked. Pochettino apparently said before the match that he wanted them to go for the kill, I think they took that literally.

The photo makes it seem worse than it was, it was basically just a swipe of the hand that got him in the eye, wasn't really very malicious from my perspective.
      As for the game, it was kind of a weird one, we should have won the game by 4 or 5 goals, and were incredibly sloppy and disorganised in front of a goal, its starting to become a bit of a worry now to be honest, I'd almost be tempted to drop Salah for a few games until he gets his shooting instinct retuned.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #287: Sep 15, 2018 05:51:55 pm
      The photo makes it seem worse than it was, it was basically just a swipe of the hand that got him in the eye, wasn't really very malicious from my perspective.
      As for the game, it was kind of a weird one, we should have won the game by 4 or 5 goals, and were incredibly sloppy and disorganised in front of a goal, its starting to become a bit of a worry now to be honest, I'd almost be tempted to drop Salah for a few games until he gets his shooting instinct retuned.
      Not totally sure photo makes it look worse, I heard there was blood.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #288: Sep 15, 2018 06:19:35 pm
      Safe to assume that this perfect start has been founded on a terrific start to the season by our defence and goalkeeper. Now if you'd told me this time last year that 12 months on we'd be 5 from 5 thanks in large part to our goalie and defenders I'd have laughed so hard in your face that your skin would peel off! Now of course, our defence will have off days - that's natural. But they haven't had one so far which is testament to the hard work and fantastic signings that Klopp has made off the pitch.

In the meantime, I can't wait to see how good we are when our front three click into gear!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #289: Sep 15, 2018 06:32:43 pm
      Five wins of five games, brilliant :scarf:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #290: Sep 15, 2018 07:08:11 pm
      Back to the football - anyone surprised by Tottenham's tactics especially in that first half? There seemed to be an endless supply of long balls which we dealt with pretty well, perhaps naively believing that Kane could just shoulder charge his way through us again (and failing that commit to the diving he is renowned for when things don't go their way)

It seemed they had a look at their 4-1 victory last year and thought 'we can do that again' clearly forgetting that our whole defensive line has more or less completely changed from 11 months ago. Their lack of innovation was evident in the fact that Allison (apart from picking the ball out of the net in the 93rd minute) had little to do.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,745 posts | 460 
      Reply #291: Sep 15, 2018 07:09:30 pm
      As per LFC website, Firminho discharged from hospital with an abrasion.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #292: Sep 15, 2018 07:33:07 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #293: Sep 15, 2018 08:19:00 pm
      3 points once again, don’t like giving up that goal to that pr**k Lamella but at the end we are still undefeated. Tough stretch coming up, let’s do this.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #294: Sep 15, 2018 08:27:53 pm
      So as always the first thing I comment on is the starting line up. I was very, very happy with the starting 11 and i stated in the pre match thread it was the team I wanted. I said klopp needed to grow a pair and drop our captain for one of the biggest games of the season and that he did. I didn't doubt for one second it would be the wrong decision.

The first three games of the season we controlled them very well, we looked confident, we played some good football and we deserved the points. As soon as we made a change at Leicester we looked all over the place, we really struggled but we got away with it somehow. So to go back to the original starting 11 was very refreshing and good to see.

So the game starts and I'm not surprised one bit that we are in complete control again and we were dominating the game. We had some glorious opportunities to really hurt Spurs but we just lacked that final pass. They had a spell where they had the ball for ten minutes or so but our shape was brilliant. I said it the other week after the palace game but it doesn't matter how much possession the opposition have, you can still control the game without the ball and that's exactly what we did. I thought our defensive units were brilliant and I don't remember Kane touching the ball which shows how well we did defend. So Spurs might have had a bit of the ball but they did nothing with it.

So we went in 1-0 up at HT and it was fully deserved. If we had gone in 3 or 4 up though it wouldn't have flattered us one bit and I don't think Spurs could have had any complaints.

Second half begins and it's more or less identical to the first. If anything, we were even more dominant. We get the second goal and then that was it then, it was game over. We had a lot more chances to kill the game dead and that's my only criticism for today - just how wasteful we were in the final third. We conceded a soft goal in stoppage time but it was nothing more than a consolation for them. I felt sorry for the back four because they didn't deserve to concede a goal after such a solid and professional defensive display. Shout out to Gomez and VVD who once again were superb.

People will say I'm obsessed but I don't care, I want to comment on Gini in the 6 and the very noticeable difference there is in having him in the team instead of Henderson.

The first three games gini played in that position and I thought he was excellent. He played further up the pitch at Leicester just to accommodate Henderson and he was a passenger in that game and didn't get involved. He was back in the 6 position today and once again I thought he was excellent. The lad just oozes class in that position. His reading of the game is a thousand times better than what jordans is and he's much better and calmer on the ball too. He's so strong, he shields the ball extremely well (which wins us free kicks sometimes) and he very rarely loses possession. 9/10 times he chooses the right pass and his positioning is always spot on - he cuts out so much space which means the opposition can't play. I know klopp said recently that he sees Gini as an 8 but personally I see him as a 6 now. I think he's found his place in this team and has made that position his own for the time being. Brilliant performance from him and great to see him get on the score sheet too.

2 weeks ago on this forum there were a few posters who were repeatedly saying Henderson is undroppable and klopp will always pick him no matter what. Well thankfully they were wron and it was blatantly obvious how well we played without him today. Due to their weird agendas and trying to prove he's this top player I'm sure they will fail to accept or admit that though.

MOTM was James Milner who was all over the pitch. He's come on leaps and bounds and he's probably first name on the team sheet right now. Another top class, leader like performance from him. I loved the way he was slowing the game down by moaning at the ref when Spurs had a free kick or in the later stages of the game clipping the ball into the corners and barking at salah to shield it. Little things like that adding to his obvious energy levels and his quality too makes him a key asset to this side. Hes become a crucial player.

Well done reds. A phenomenal performance. 5 out of 5. What a start.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #295: Sep 15, 2018 08:32:17 pm
      So as always the first thing I comment on is the starting line up. I was very, very happy with the starting 11 and i stated in the pre match thread it was the team I wanted. I said klopp needed to grow a pair and drop our captain for one of the biggest games of the season and that he did. I didn't doubt for one second it would be the wrong decision.

The first three games of the season we controlled them very well, we looked confident, we played some good football and we deserved the points. As soon as we made a change at Leicester we looked all over the place, we really struggled but we got away with it somehow. So to go back to the original starting 11 was very refreshing and good to see.

So the game starts and I'm not surprised one bit that we are in complete control again and we were dominating the game. We had some glorious opportunities to really hurt Spurs but we just lacked that final pass. They had a spell where they had the ball for ten minutes or so but our shape was brilliant. I said it the other week after the palace game but it doesn't matter how much possession the opposition have, you can still control the game without the ball and that's exactly what we did. I thought our defensive units were brilliant and I don't remember Kane touching the ball which shows how well we did defend. So Spurs might have had a bit of the ball but they did nothing with it.

So we went in 1-0 up at HT and it was fully deserved. If we had gone in 3 or 4 up though it wouldn't have flattered us one bit and I don't think Spurs could have had any complaints.

Second half begins and it's more or less identical to the first. If anything, we were even more dominant. We get the second goal and then that was it then, it was game over. We had a lot more chances to kill the game dead and that's my only criticism for today - just how wasteful we were in the final third. We conceded a soft goal in stoppage time but it was nothing more than a consolation for them. I felt sorry for the back four because they didn't deserve to concede a goal after such a solid and professional defensive display. Shout out to Gomez and VVD who once again were superb.

People will say I'm obsessed but I don't care, I want to comment on Gini in the 6 and the very noticeable difference there is in having him in the team instead of Henderson.

The first three games gini played in that position and I thought he was excellent. He played further up the pitch at Leicester just to accommodate Henderson and he was a passenger in that game and didn't get involved. He was back in the 6 position today and once again I thought he was excellent. The lad just oozes class in that position. His reading of the game is a thousand times better than what jordans is and he's much better and calmer on the ball too. He's so strong, he shields the ball extremely well (which wins us free kicks sometimes) and he very rarely loses possession. 9/10 times he chooses the right pass and his positioning is always spot on - he cuts out so much space which means the opposition can't play. I know klopp said recently that he sees Gini as an 8 but personally I see him as a 6 now. I think he's found his place in this team and has made that position his own for the time being. Brilliant performance from him and great to see him get on the score sheet too.

2 weeks ago on this forum there were a few posters who were repeatedly saying Henderson is undroppable and klopp will always pick him no matter what. Well thankfully they were wron and it was blatantly obvious how well we played without him today. Due to their weird agendas and trying to prove he's this top player I'm sure they will fail to accept or admit that though.

MOTM was James Milner who was all over the pitch. He's come on leaps and bounds and he's probably first name on the team sheet right now. Another top class, leader like performance from him. I loved the way he was slowing the game down by moaning at the ref when Spurs had a free kick or in the later stages of the game clipping the ball into the corners and barking at salah to shield it. Little things like that adding to his obvious energy levels and his quality too makes him a key asset to this side. Hes become a crucial player.

Well done reds. A phenomenal performance. 5 out of 5. What a start.

What a post. Almost as good as the result ;)
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,276 posts | 799 
      Reply #296: Sep 15, 2018 08:57:16 pm
      F**k that was a long 5 hour flight.

Last I saw was 3 mins into the 2nd half, then I was told to turn my phone off for take off.

Fantastic honeymoon so far.

5 from 5 and I couldn't ask for more, just got a ride and absolutely blocked. Now gonna sample Ayia Napa's night life.
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #297: Sep 15, 2018 09:01:17 pm
      The spurs Glory-Glory site is pretty fed up with Dier in particular. They've all twigged he's vastly overrated. Said as much myself. They call us Pool...one even calls us..The Badgers.

Massive whinge, predictably about no new signings. Most think we beat them without getting out of second gear. They are right.Won't get such an easy game against any of the other so called contenders. I expected them to come out in the second half fired up but they came out flat as flatty flatman..
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #298: Sep 15, 2018 09:03:08 pm
      The spurs Glory-Glory site is pretty fed up with Dier in particular. They've all twigged he's vastly overrated. Said as much myself. They call us Pool...one even calls us..The Badgers.

Tbh, he is only overrated by the English media. I think everyone else knows he is sh*t.

Quick Reply