Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (3.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (12.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      61 (45.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      26 (19.4%)
      Naby KeĂŻta
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      16 (11.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Voting closed: Sep 19, 2018 02:23:18 pm

Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24148 times
      birchesheadred
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Re: Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Sep 16, 2018 09:25:30 am
      I voted Milner motm due to his work rate and his never give up attitude. Chasing everything down til the end. He's not just about that though, he's also a very classy midfielder with an eye for a pass and he reads the game so well. Nowt to do with what ratboy said for me!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #323: Sep 16, 2018 09:26:25 am

I went Gini - he’s been out most impressive for me so far this season.

Milner snapping away and working hard and I don’t grudge him his plaudits one iota......but Gini so unsung for me.

I think the “away goal” stat has created a convenient narrative for quite a few. That’s put to bed now.
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2018 12:47:03 pm by Scotia »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #324: Sep 16, 2018 09:42:38 am
      I went for Bobby. Never gave up and was unfortunate to get an eyeful. Thought the boss would have brought on Fab instead of Matip, to give him some much needed game time. Love the style of play and somebody is going to get battered.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #325: Sep 16, 2018 09:48:11 am
      I went for Bobby. Never gave up and was unfortunate to get an eyeful. Thought the boss would have brought on Fab instead of Matip, to give him some much needed game time. Love the style of play and somebody is going to get battered.

I wouldn't argue with other peoples choices for MOTM yesterday we were solid all over the park. I went for Bobby because he scored and then he was in our own half tackling back by the corner flag is there any part of the pitch this man doesn't have an effect on.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #326: Sep 16, 2018 10:37:26 am
      Anyone concerned about mane and salah’s current lack of form...
      5 wins out of 5 without our two wide attackers being fully firing.
      Great signs in my eyes
      It shows that there is room for improvement and we aren’t currently overly reliant upon their massive ability.
      Would be more worried weirdly if we were hitting top form and individual performance this early in the season
      We aren’t.
      We are doing great.
      One step at a time
      No to worried myself at the mo mate,he should have scored at least one yesterday when through on goal and he deffo would have slotted another if sadio had chosen him instead of keita
      With that chance late in the game.
      Obviously there is a Lot of extra focus on mo after the wonderous last season he had but he is still getting plenty of chances & making a difference & once he starts banging them in I can see he getting into double figures again.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #327: Sep 16, 2018 10:51:20 am
      So as always the first thing I comment on is the starting line up. I was very, very happy with the starting 11 and i stated in the pre match thread it was the team I wanted. I said klopp needed to grow a pair and drop our captain for one of the biggest games of the season and that he did. I didn't doubt for one second it would be the wrong decision.

The first three games of the season we controlled them very well, we looked confident, we played some good football and we deserved the points. As soon as we made a change at Leicester we looked all over the place, we really struggled but we got away with it somehow. So to go back to the original starting 11 was very refreshing and good to see.

So the game starts and I'm not surprised one bit that we are in complete control again and we were dominating the game. We had some glorious opportunities to really hurt Spurs but we just lacked that final pass. They had a spell where they had the ball for ten minutes or so but our shape was brilliant. I said it the other week after the palace game but it doesn't matter how much possession the opposition have, you can still control the game without the ball and that's exactly what we did. I thought our defensive units were brilliant and I don't remember Kane touching the ball which shows how well we did defend. So Spurs might have had a bit of the ball but they did nothing with it.

So we went in 1-0 up at HT and it was fully deserved. If we had gone in 3 or 4 up though it wouldn't have flattered us one bit and I don't think Spurs could have had any complaints.

Second half begins and it's more or less identical to the first. If anything, we were even more dominant. We get the second goal and then that was it then, it was game over. We had a lot more chances to kill the game dead and that's my only criticism for today - just how wasteful we were in the final third. We conceded a soft goal in stoppage time but it was nothing more than a consolation for them. I felt sorry for the back four because they didn't deserve to concede a goal after such a solid and professional defensive display. Shout out to Gomez and VVD who once again were superb.

People will say I'm obsessed but I don't care, I want to comment on Gini in the 6 and the very noticeable difference there is in having him in the team instead of Henderson.

The first three games gini played in that position and I thought he was excellent. He played further up the pitch at Leicester just to accommodate Henderson and he was a passenger in that game and didn't get involved. He was back in the 6 position today and once again I thought he was excellent. The lad just oozes class in that position. His reading of the game is a thousand times better than what jordans is and he's much better and calmer on the ball too. He's so strong, he shields the ball extremely well (which wins us free kicks sometimes) and he very rarely loses possession. 9/10 times he chooses the right pass and his positioning is always spot on - he cuts out so much space which means the opposition can't play. I know klopp said recently that he sees Gini as an 8 but personally I see him as a 6 now. I think he's found his place in this team and has made that position his own for the time being. Brilliant performance from him and great to see him get on the score sheet too.

2 weeks ago on this forum there were a few posters who were repeatedly saying Henderson is undroppable and klopp will always pick him no matter what. Well thankfully they were wron and it was blatantly obvious how well we played without him today. Due to their weird agendas and trying to prove he's this top player I'm sure they will fail to accept or admit that though.

MOTM was James Milner who was all over the pitch. He's come on leaps and bounds and he's probably first name on the team sheet right now. Another top class, leader like performance from him. I loved the way he was slowing the game down by moaning at the ref when Spurs had a free kick or in the later stages of the game clipping the ball into the corners and barking at salah to shield it. Little things like that adding to his obvious energy levels and his quality too makes him a key asset to this side. Hes become a crucial player.

Well done reds. A phenomenal performance. 5 out of 5. What a start.

Was reading through all posts until i got to this one, i was going to post my deliberations but there really is no need now, H has done it for me and if I'm honest i couldn't better it anyway,
      Thanks H, perfect analysis 👍

YNWA
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #328: Sep 16, 2018 10:53:16 am
      Was it Gomez that missed his header on their goal? Then Lamela being completely unmarked at the back post wasn’t good.
      I agree but VVD was the closes to Lamela when the ball came to him and could have made a better effort to close him down and block off his shot. In his favor I believe that he was expecting him to play the ball across the six yard box and not to try and shoot
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #329: Sep 16, 2018 11:04:45 am
      I agree but VVD was the closes to Lamela when the ball came to him and could have made a better effort to close him down and block off his shot. In his favor I believe that he was expecting him to play the ball across the six yard box and not to try and shoot

No not sure it was Vvd, there was someone else who turned their back to the shot, was it Wijnaldum? In any case it was a typical last minute cobcellation goal, bit sloppy but overall we were very solid, plus good to see Alisson just putting the ball out rather than silly tricks and flicks.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #330: Sep 16, 2018 11:07:57 am
      Great signs in my eyes
      It shows that there is room for improvement and we aren’t currently overly reliant upon their massive ability.
      Would be more worried weirdly if we were hitting top form and individual performance this early in the season
      We aren’t.
      We are doing great.
      One step at a time
      A couple of  points here...

1)The front work as a unit, and I believe that it is more down to Firmino not firing that is  effect Salah

2)Last season I felt that Mane  was a bit perturbed about the amount of success that Salah was having, and at times it was like he did not want to pass to him. To me that is even more evident now, it is as if he (Mane) looks more for Keita than who is in the better position to receive the ball, and it seems as if he wants to be seen as the top goal scorer.

3) Now people know what Salah is about he is being man marked and on receiving the ball will have at least two players on him.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #331: Sep 16, 2018 11:24:47 am
      No not sure it was Vvd, there was someone else who turned their back to the shot, was it Wijnaldum? In any case it was a typical last minute cobcellation goal, bit sloppy but overall we were very solid, plus good to see Alisson just putting the ball out rather than silly tricks and flicks.
      Yes Sturridge did try to block it, but when the ball dropped to Lamela VVD turned and made a half step toward him and stopped. Had it been Jamie C, he would have thrown himself in there and blocked it, but as i said in his defense he was probably thinking "this is going back across goal"

I have no problem with VVD, He is a great signing and asset to the team, but just felt on this occasion he could have done more

plus good to see Alisson just putting the ball out rather than silly tricks and flicks.
      YES totally agree, but at one point it looked as if he was thinking about it  :o
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #332: Sep 16, 2018 11:27:59 am
      I went Gini - he’s been out most impressive for me so far this season.

Milner snapping away and working hard and I don’t grudge him his plaudits one iota......but Gini so unsung for me.

I think the “away goal” stay has created a convenient narrative for quite a few. That’s put to bed now.

I agree. Wijnaldum has really excelled playing in the deeper role and he has been my player of the season so far too.

He was poor at Leicester though when he was taken out of the 6 role. But the other four games he has been excellent.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #333: Sep 16, 2018 12:13:50 pm
      Great result, and surprisingly easy.

Our front 3 haven't hit anything close to full speed yet. Touch and decision making are still off. So if we are winning games comfortably now, it bodes well for what we can do when those 3 click into gear.

Some signs they are getting closer yesterday - Bobby had his best game so far this season, and Salah in the 2nd half looked to be getting a bit more anger and intent into his game.

Our midfield and defence are already pretty well up to speed. Especially Milner! Good signing he has turned out to be - been our best midfielder all year.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #334: Sep 16, 2018 12:16:11 pm
      Watched it again.
      Blimey, spurs really were awful.
      They had a couple of spells where they got their sh*t together, but then unforced errors would knock them out of their stride again.

Their midfield was woeful. Some of that was down to us, but a lot of it was just them being sh*t on the day.

It really should have been a hammering, but 3 points is what matters.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #335: Sep 16, 2018 12:17:52 pm
      We were stuck to the third gear because Mane and Salah (mostly Mane) were egoistic and we should ended the game earlier. Good for my prediction league :P
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #336: Sep 16, 2018 12:53:53 pm
      I think we got a load of favourable ref decisions yesterday. Oliver obviously remembers what Pochettino said last year about fooling the officials.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #337: Sep 16, 2018 01:52:15 pm

No it wasn’t, was either Sturridge or Gini.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #338: Sep 16, 2018 02:03:17 pm

1)The front work as a unit, and I believe that it is more down to Firmino not firing that is  effect Salah

2)Last season I felt that Mane  was a bit perturbed about the amount of success that Salah was having, and at times it was like he did not want to pass to him. To me that is even more evident now, it is as if he (Mane) looks more for Keita than who is in the better position to receive the ball, and it seems as if he wants to be seen as the top goal scorer.

3) Now people know what Salah is about he is being man marked and on receiving the ball will have at least two players on him.
      The 2018-19 book on Salah and Firmino: neither have top end speed and defenders no longer give them space/buffer zone.
      These two are given no room to operate....no need to. Salah has no space what so ever.
      Mane does have speed/athletic advantage over defenders and is given significantly more space. His issue is decision making: Perpetual offsides, selfish ball possession. Best athlete but lacking intangibles to be great. I absolutely agree Mane has huge personal ambitions and it interferes with team play too often.
      What is clear through 5 games is that the Front 3 are not on the same page right now.
      The Front 3's best work came during CL play last season.....playing European teams with ambition to score goals instead of parking the bus. Given the intense competition in Liverpool's bracket, I expect every team to be throttle down leading to more wide open games.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #339: Sep 16, 2018 02:13:09 pm
      The 2018-19 book on Salah and Firmino: neither have top end speed and defenders no longer give them space/buffer zone.
      These two are given no room to operate....no need to. Salah has no space what so ever.
      Mane does have speed/athletic advantage over defenders and is given significantly more space. His issue is decision making: Perpetual offsides, selfish ball possession. Best athlete but lacking intangibles to be great. I absolutely agree Mane has huge personal ambitions and it interferes with team play too often.
      What is clear through 5 games is that the Front 3 are not on the same page right now.
      The Front 3's best work came during CL play last season.....playing European teams with ambition to score goals instead of parking the bus. Given the intense competition in Liverpool's bracket, I expect every team to be throttle down leading to more wide open games.

You lost me at Salah not having top end speed.... Are you blind?
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #340: Sep 16, 2018 02:20:39 pm
      I’m really happy with that performance yesterday. We defended so well. Gomez has to partner Virgil for the rest of the season. He has really come on this season, I always thought with a good run of games at centre half he would make it.
      The question of Mane and Salah not performing at their best...even when they are not they still strike fear in opponents with their pace I have no doubt JĂźrgen will get them gelling better as we get further into the season.
      Allison just looks amazing, he just looks so calm great shot stopper. Milner is fast becoming first name on the team sheet. Gona have a lovely Sunday on the beer😊
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #341: Sep 16, 2018 02:53:21 pm
      We were stuck to the third gear because Mane and Salah (mostly Mane) were egoistic and we should ended the game earlier. Good for my prediction league :P

not sure if we might have a problem here I have noticed a few occasions this season were Mane has been greedy and should have played in Mo .However if their is one manager who will sort this out it will be JĂźrgen
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #342: Sep 16, 2018 04:41:15 pm
      Great signs in my eyes
      We aren’t.
      We are doing great.
      One step at a time 

Don't know if I'd call it a lack of form, personally I just see it as defenders & goalies doing their jobs. Salah & Mane are not playing badly, they're still getting shots on goal etc
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #343: Sep 16, 2018 04:45:13 pm

Or alternatively defenders were more used to Mane, hence Salah getting extra space etc as defenders were trying to double up on Mane. The first few games that has been reversed. Mane was excellent first game of the season because defenders were absolutely petrified of Salah finding space and that started working to Mane's benefit.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #344: Sep 16, 2018 04:47:34 pm

More braindead armchair supporting waffle!

Quick Reply