Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (3.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (12.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      61 (45.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      26 (19.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      16 (11.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Voting closed: Sep 19, 2018 02:23:18 pm

Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24146 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Re: Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Sep 16, 2018 04:53:02 pm
      You lost me at Salah not having top end speed.... Are you blind?

Another troll.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #346: Sep 16, 2018 04:54:12 pm
      Don't know if I'd call it a lack of form, personally I just see it as defenders & goalies doing their jobs. Salah & Mane are not playing badly, they're still getting shots on goal etc

Still getting shots on goal but whereas last season they were shots into the corners its now mostly at the keeper, just a bit of fine tuning needed, but I would like to see them clicking again soon.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #347: Sep 16, 2018 04:57:05 pm
      Still getting shots on goal but whereas last season they were shots into the corners its now mostly at the keeper, just a bit of fine tuning needed, but I would like to see them clicking again soon.

Again could just be tiredness kicking in from the world cup, you only have to look at Kane. Most important thing is we look stronger as a team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #348: Sep 16, 2018 05:01:57 pm
      Again could just be tiredness kicking in from the world cup, you only have to look at Kane. Most important thing is we look stronger as a team.

For sure, we are a far better team this season, in fact we have the best defence at the moment, who would have thought that last year!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #349: Sep 16, 2018 05:15:48 pm

I think we got a load of favourable ref decisions yesterday. Oliver obviously remembers what Pochettino said last year about fooling the officials.

I disagree.  Spurs fans (and most of the pundits) are banging on about the missed penalty call at the end, but Vertonghen was lucky not to see red for his jab to Firmino's eye socket.  That was an intentional swing at his face, and it resulted in an injury to our player.  Intentional hands to the face of an opposing player is a straight red.  Spurs should have been 2-0 behind and down to 10 men. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #350: Sep 16, 2018 05:54:12 pm
      I disagree.  Spurs fans (and most of the pundits) are banging on about the missed penalty call at the end, but Vertonghen was lucky not to see red for his jab to Firmino's eye socket.  That was an intentional swing at his face, and it resulted in an injury to our player.  Intentional hands to the face of an opposing player is a straight red.  Spurs should have been 2-0 behind and down to 10 men.

Not to mentions Moura's deliberate elbow on VVD.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #351: Sep 16, 2018 06:10:01 pm
      So as always the first thing I comment on is the starting line up. I was very, very happy with the starting 11 and i stated in the pre match thread it was the team I wanted. I said klopp needed to grow a pair and drop our captain for one of the biggest games of the season and that he did. I didn't doubt for one second it would be the wrong decision.

The first three games of the season we controlled them very well, we looked confident, we played some good football and we deserved the points. As soon as we made a change at Leicester we looked all over the place, we really struggled but we got away with it somehow. So to go back to the original starting 11 was very refreshing and good to see.

So the game starts and I'm not surprised one bit that we are in complete control again and we were dominating the game. We had some glorious opportunities to really hurt Spurs but we just lacked that final pass. They had a spell where they had the ball for ten minutes or so but our shape was brilliant. I said it the other week after the palace game but it doesn't matter how much possession the opposition have, you can still control the game without the ball and that's exactly what we did. I thought our defensive units were brilliant and I don't remember Kane touching the ball which shows how well we did defend. So Spurs might have had a bit of the ball but they did nothing with it.

So we went in 1-0 up at HT and it was fully deserved. If we had gone in 3 or 4 up though it wouldn't have flattered us one bit and I don't think Spurs could have had any complaints.

Second half begins and it's more or less identical to the first. If anything, we were even more dominant. We get the second goal and then that was it then, it was game over. We had a lot more chances to kill the game dead and that's my only criticism for today - just how wasteful we were in the final third. We conceded a soft goal in stoppage time but it was nothing more than a consolation for them. I felt sorry for the back four because they didn't deserve to concede a goal after such a solid and professional defensive display. Shout out to Gomez and VVD who once again were superb.

People will say I'm obsessed but I don't care, I want to comment on Gini in the 6 and the very noticeable difference there is in having him in the team instead of Henderson.

The first three games gini played in that position and I thought he was excellent. He played further up the pitch at Leicester just to accommodate Henderson and he was a passenger in that game and didn't get involved. He was back in the 6 position today and once again I thought he was excellent. The lad just oozes class in that position. His reading of the game is a thousand times better than what jordans is and he's much better and calmer on the ball too. He's so strong, he shields the ball extremely well (which wins us free kicks sometimes) and he very rarely loses possession. 9/10 times he chooses the right pass and his positioning is always spot on - he cuts out so much space which means the opposition can't play. I know klopp said recently that he sees Gini as an 8 but personally I see him as a 6 now. I think he's found his place in this team and has made that position his own for the time being. Brilliant performance from him and great to see him get on the score sheet too.

2 weeks ago on this forum there were a few posters who were repeatedly saying Henderson is undroppable and klopp will always pick him no matter what. Well thankfully they were wron and it was blatantly obvious how well we played without him today. Due to their weird agendas and trying to prove he's this top player I'm sure they will fail to accept or admit that though.

MOTM was James Milner who was all over the pitch. He's come on leaps and bounds and he's probably first name on the team sheet right now. Another top class, leader like performance from him. I loved the way he was slowing the game down by moaning at the ref when Spurs had a free kick or in the later stages of the game clipping the ball into the corners and barking at salah to shield it. Little things like that adding to his obvious energy levels and his quality too makes him a key asset to this side. Hes become a crucial player.

Well done reds. A phenomenal performance. 5 out of 5. What a start.

Hell yeah! So much better than going into RAWK and reading some account of the match by BabaYagu who's probably wittering on about some non sensical and very elaborate analogy between the liberation theorists of Brazil in the 1960s and Virgil Van Dijk's defensive play from corners...or something to that effect.
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2018 06:15:08 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #352: Sep 16, 2018 06:36:40 pm
      Re-watching the game again and 70  mins into it, f**k me; Robertson hardly got a mention today, but what an exceptional performance so far!!! Oh, and I can see why some voted VVD as MOTM, what a f**king monster.

Think Robbo doesn't get a shout because he always impresses so much. He must have, but I can't remember him even having a bad game
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #353: Sep 16, 2018 06:37:58 pm
      I don't see to many problems with the front 3. They actually played well individually, may be once or twice the wrong option was taken. Salah kept at it especially in the second half. He shouldn't alter or change his game in any way. The goals will come, they will only dry up if he starts doubting himself.

Mane has started the season well, plenty of energy and attacking threat. The lay off to Keita was the wrong option but still Keita should've put it away. Firmino isn't a conventional striker in the way Fowler or Kane is. He's so mobile, gets into all kinds of positions and is always a threat. All 3 pressed Spurs into 2/3 mistakes. Klopp was happy, he knows on another day we would've scored 5.

Easier game than we all thought, good prep for PSG.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #354: Sep 16, 2018 06:52:38 pm
      The midfield is still a work in progress obviously. Klopp will chop and change untill he can see the best line up. That won't really happen till at least 10 games in, may be more.

Fabinho, Keita new to the squad and it will take time for them to get up to speed with the Prem and this club. Klopp knows what he gets from Milner, Hendo and Gini. With Alex out it will be difficult for Klopp to get the right balance. It's going to be a great battle for all of those to get and stay in the team. Alex did offer great attacking threat from midfield. Keita must take up the challenge in offering real attacking threat from midfield. Gini needs to do more in that respect as well.

When the front 6 do click the goals will be flying in.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #355: Sep 16, 2018 07:12:05 pm
      Think Robbo doesn't get a shout because he always impresses so much. He must have, but I can't remember him even having a bad game

He has the odd dodgy moment, but it doesn't seem to affect him, and he just gets on with it.

A proper solid full back, who creates his fair share.

And to think he got called "a bargain basement typical FSG money saving signing" etc because he didn't cost twelvety billions.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #356: Sep 16, 2018 07:22:25 pm
      He has the odd dodgy moment, but it doesn't seem to affect him, and he just gets on with it.

A proper solid full back, who creates his fair share.

And to think he got called "a bargain basement typical FSG money saving signing" etc because he didn't cost twelvety billions.

Left back had been a serious problem for a decade or so though. It got that bad that we had to deploy Milner there.

The signing of Robertson at the time was a little underwhelming let's be honest. Look at Becker and VVD for example. Two positions we desperately needed quality and we slapped the money on the table and brought in proper established players who have improved us instantly (and immensely).

Robertson had a question mark over him. It we're being honest, none of us knew that much about him. Just a young inexperienced lad from a relegated club. Wasn't exactly something to get excited about was it? You can't blame anyone for being concerned or underwhelmed.

However fair play to klopp, FSG, the scouts or whoever else found him because what a player he is. Best left back in the league for me and as JD says I can't remember him having a bad game for us. Absolute bargain - and those type of transfers are very hard to come by, they're very rare.

Consistently giving 8-9 performances each week. Brilliant little player. Long may it continue.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #357: Sep 16, 2018 07:53:03 pm
      Left back had been a serious problem for a decade or so though. It got that bad that we had to deploy Milner there.

The signing of Robertson at the time was a little underwhelming let's be honest. Look at Becker and VVD for example. Two positions we desperately needed quality and we slapped the money on the table and brought in proper established players who have improved us instantly (and immensely).

Robertson had a question mark over him. It we're being honest, none of us knew that much about him. Just a young inexperienced lad from a relegated club. Wasn't exactly something to get excited about was it? You can't blame anyone for being concerned or underwhelmed.

However fair play to klopp, FSG, the scouts or whoever else found him because what a player he is. Best left back in the league for me and as JD says I can't remember him having a bad game for us. Absolute bargain - and those type of transfers are very hard to come by, they're very rare.

Consistently giving 8-9 performances each week. Brilliant little player. Long may it continue.

Nah, it's because thick cu*ts don't understand that sometimes you don't have to pay huge amounts for a player that fits.

We see it every single transfer window, people judge by how much is spent on a player rather than looking at how the player fits the team.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #358: Sep 16, 2018 08:02:11 pm

I love his simple approach to games, doesn’t ever over complicate the play. His passing is crisp, he has masses of energy which allows him to defend and attack consistently.

No one can doubt his quality, what a signing. Must be worth £50/60m already.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #359: Sep 16, 2018 08:18:57 pm
      Nah, it's because thick cu*ts don't understand that sometimes you don't have to pay huge amounts for a player that fits.

We see it every single transfer window, people judge by how much is spent on a player rather than looking at how the player fits the team.

You're very naive. Andy robertson signings don't happen very often otherwise city would have won multiple titles on a shoestring.

In fact, if it was that easy then any club could do it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #360: Sep 16, 2018 08:26:49 pm
      You're very naive. Andy robertson signings don't happen very often otherwise city would have won multiple titles on a shoestring.

In fact, if it was that easy then any club could do it.

Really?

Naive?

Listen, many Klopp signings have been for well below market value, and we've seen the result of spending less than other clubs every single window on this very forum, with (you included) people F***ing constantly whinging about how city or chelsea or who the F**k ever, spending more than us and getting their arses in an uproar about it.

Our front 3 were all bought for prices that didn't reflect their ability.
      Milner was slated because he was "an aging freebie"
      Gomez slated as "we only ever buy potential"
      Wijnaldum constantly berated and people saying he was a waste of money.
      Robertson as "a cheap nobody, typical FSG, penny pinching"
      The list goes on.

So get down off your F***ing high horse, get a grip and try to understand what is being said rather than what you think is being said.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018 10:47:24 am by racerx34 »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #361: Sep 16, 2018 11:09:07 pm
      Really?

Naive?

Listen, you pompous arsebiscuit, many Klopp signings have been for well below market value, and we've seen the result of spending less than other clubs every single window on this very forum, with (you included) people f**king constantly whinging about how city or chelsea or who the f**k ever, spending more than us and getting their arses in an uproar about it.

The list goes on.

So get down off your f**king high horse, get a grip and try to understand what is being said rather than what you think is being said.

All I said was at the time Robertson was signed you can't blame fans for being underwhelmed because the position was so important.

Some low fee transfers work out and occasionally a gem is found. That's what's happened with Robertson. But they are extremely rare and they don't come across often.

No need to get abusive once again. You just look silly to be honest.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018 10:46:36 am by racerx34 »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #362: Sep 17, 2018 12:17:30 am
      Really?

Naive?

Listen, you pompous arsebiscuit, many Klopp signings have been for well below market value, and we've seen the result of spending less than other clubs every single window on this very forum, with (you included) people f**king constantly whinging about how city or chelsea or who the f**k ever, spending more than us and getting their arses in an uproar about it.

The list goes on.

So get down off your f**king high horse, get a grip and try to understand what is being said rather than what you think is being said.

Also, show me one quote from me where I've moaned about not spending the fees that Chelsea or city are. Ill wait.

You're in a right mood because your boy Henderson got dropped for the Spurs game and we bossed them off the pitch and gave, arguably, our performance of the season, making all your comments two weeks ago looking rather silly and daft.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #363: Sep 17, 2018 01:27:46 am
      Milner was exceptional today and he gave a proper leader/captain type performance. It's one of the things we've been missing since Stevie called it a day, just somebody to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win the midfield battle.

It wasn't long ago we were discussing how this team had zero leaders and now we find them all over the pitch and Milner is certainly one of them. Now it's a difference of opinion of course but I don't feel Henderson is fit to wear the armband, Milner is though in my opinion because of his performances like today. No shying away, no hiding behind other players. Standing up, being counted and being the best player on the f**king pitch.

Ignoring the fact he gave a motm display just because you don't usually rate him or because Gary Neville said it too is just insane.

And therein lies the nub of the problem posters on here have with Hendo. Constantly comparing Henderson to Gerrard. Pointless me going on about...truth is posters like you just do not know what your talking about..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #364: Sep 17, 2018 07:03:59 am
      And therein lies the nub of the problem posters on here have with Hendo. Constantly comparing Henderson to Gerrard. Pointless me going on about...truth is posters like you just do not know what your talking about..

He’s a season ticket holder mate, goes to the games most weeks. His posts are usually spot on I’m afraid.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #365: Sep 17, 2018 07:04:42 am
      You're an angry little man you.

All I said was at the time Robertson was signed you can't blame fans for being underwhelmed because the position was so important.

Some low fee transfers work out and occasionally a gem is found. That's what's happened with Robertson. But they are extremely rare and they don't come across often.

No need to get abusive once again. You just look silly to be honest.

You did start it by calling him naive, there was no need for that.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #366: Sep 17, 2018 08:39:40 am
      He’s a season ticket holder mate, goes to the games most weeks. His posts are usually spot on I’m afraid.

Box holder get it right..... :)
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #367: Sep 17, 2018 11:42:00 am
      You did start it by calling him naive, there was no need for that.

I think it's naive to think signings like Robertson are easy to find and that a football club doesn't necessarily have to invest money to compete.

If that was true, why don't Bournemouth win the league then?

Quick Reply