Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Champions league group stage draw 2018/19

Read 17115 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Champions league group stage draw 2018/19
      Reply #184: Sep 03, 2018 09:18:54 am
      Napoli rumbled big time yesterday 3:0 by Sampdoria (you have to see the third goal, unbelievable finish)

https://twitter.com/espnfc/status/1036388470346924032?s=21
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #185: Sep 03, 2018 02:56:27 pm
      Hope to F**k this guy ain't from Boston,giving us a bad name with his trump supporting wummery.sad.

He seems to be from there, but I daresay people here know he's not representative of our American fans, who are for the most part, really good supporters.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #186: Sep 07, 2018 06:55:23 am
      Quote from Borg
      Being conditioned to devalue regular season performance and embrace post season/playoff atmosphere, I'd rather LFC be Champion of Champions earning that title in do-or-die death matches vs Juventus, Madrid, and Barca.....verses......fi nishing off a golden PL season with wins verses Cardiff City, Huddersfield, Newcastle, and Wolves.
      But that's me...someone who didn't grow up viewing every township, hamlet, or city as my mortal enemy.

Who does?

I hate playoffs. Doesn't matter what the sport is.

My view is if you meet the standard over the regular season whether it's 10 games at international level, or 38 league games in our case, you deserve the rewards it brings, as you have proved yourselves against every type of opposition.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #187: Sep 07, 2018 10:24:50 am

erm can we add Quagliarella to our shopping list please or was this just a freak one-off?
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #188: Sep 07, 2018 01:56:10 pm
      Who does?

My view is if you meet the standard over the regular season whether it's 10 games at international level, or 38 league games in our case, you deserve the rewards it brings, as you have proved yourselves against every type of opposition.
      I love how the PL values regular season play.
      That being said, this structure leaves massive $$$ on the table.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #189: Sep 07, 2018 02:04:24 pm
      Who does?

Not having playoffs in European soccer works because you still have an incentive to finish high enough to qualify for European competition (CL/EL), so even when you are out of the domestic league title race there is something to play for til (just about) the very end. In US sports there is nothing else to play for beyond the championship for that sport so without playoffs it'd be awfully boring for the majority of the season once a team gets a big enough lead in the standings and there is nothing else to play for.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #190: Sep 07, 2018 06:39:44 pm
      Hope to f**k this guy ain't from Boston,giving us a bad name with his trump supporting wummery.sad.

Don't worry, there's plenty of other things that give Boston a bad name (weather, traffic, Red Sox, Tom Brady, etc....)
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #191: Sep 07, 2018 07:36:54 pm
      It's supposed to be a league, played under exactly the same conditions over a prolonged period of time.

As you see in England's lower divisions, you have teams who finished several places below and 20-30 points behind the champions, suddenly winning trophies and prizes against higher placed teams over a couple of weeks, some of them after extra time and penalties, and all of them at a neutral venue. The same can also apply to relegation playoffs, where the pressure to succeed intensifies again. An entire season's work can be rendered meaningless by one missed penalty or a  refereeing error or an honest mistake, and that's it. Last year, all the teams promoted to our division got trophies for it, even though only one of them won the league. 

The table shouldn't lie. If you can't get the results required during the regular season, it's up to you to try again and do better the next time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #192: Sep 07, 2018 07:41:00 pm
      erm can we add Quagliarella to our shopping list please or was this just a freak one-off?

Seriously ? Based on one goal ?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #193: Sep 07, 2018 10:36:47 pm
      Red star cant sell tickets to their supporters for our game over there.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #194: Sep 08, 2018 02:14:19 am

Heard that...that's great , F**k them.

Does that mean we get an extra allocation of seats for our home game or will they leave those seats empty?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #195: Sep 08, 2018 04:47:20 am
      What would people prefer? The league title this year or No.6 and don't say both! Let's be realistic!

For me personally, I want that Premier League!

Both.

;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #196: Sep 08, 2018 05:39:25 am

Thought it was the other way around? We can go there but their fans can’t come to us or PSG.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #197: Sep 08, 2018 08:11:27 am

But that's me...someone who didn't grow up viewing every township, hamlet, or city as my mortal enemy.

Yeh mate . Thats you and this is us.

Quick Education : We really only have one mortal enemy known as the Scum.
      You may know them by a different name that it pains me to even type .... Madchester United .....the second word not really being descriptive of their current state.
      They even have shirt sponsor of an Yank car manufacturer no longer sold in the UK.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #198: Sep 08, 2018 10:04:51 am
      Hope to f**k this guy ain't from Boston,giving us a bad name with his trump supporting wummery.sad.

Sadly we find these morons come from all over the world nowadays its very sad.No city is safe
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #199: Sep 08, 2018 04:23:48 pm
      Sadly we find these morons come from all over the world nowadays its very sad.No city is safe

No doubt mate.Just there's loads of reds in Boston but none of them do the forums,dunno if they're all on twatter or reddit.So when we do get one that's maybe from Boston he turns out to a knuckle dragging cockwomble(as i believe the kids say) it's a bit annoying like.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #200: Sep 08, 2018 05:31:39 pm
      Who does?

I love the playoffs over here for our sports.  Stanley Cup playoffs.  MLB playoffs.  NFL playoffs.

I don’t like the MLS playoffs. I think football should be played like it is in Europe.  But the powers that be here devised the MLS playoff system.

In actuallity the knock out stage of the European Cups are a playoff system.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8458 
      Reply #201: Sep 13, 2018 01:46:07 pm
      As I said...different worlds
      In Liverpool, the passion for finishing 4th place is evident.
      In the US, Hollywood makes comedies out of teams with 4th place ambition (Semi-Pro)

Yet we're still one of the most successful teams in the country, are still the most successful team in the country in European competition and frankly bigger than all four Boston teams put together.

We're world F***ing famous motherfucker!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8458 
      Reply #202: Sep 13, 2018 01:49:00 pm
      Different worlds
      Liverpool......one-sport obsession (38 PL games/season)
      Boston...... four pro sports (340 regular season games combined/season) + major collegiate sports

My question: what do you single-taskers do with all your free time.... Watch dart tournaments?

Were you touched up by a Catholic priest?

Just asking like?
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #203: Sep 17, 2018 01:36:21 pm
      Quote from JC16
      In actuallity the knock out stage of the European Cups are a playoff system.

Every round from the beginning is head to head, aggregate, and away goals, even the group stage. The only exception is the final.

In the European Cup, you have a group stage, then you don't play the same teams again in the knockout rounds. You may have to play the team you qualified with later on, but them aside, you play different teams at every other point in the journey.

Our last 4 games of the league season may not be against Juventus and Barcelona, but the games will come with their own challenges. Every game in the league is 3 points, whether it's against Cardiff or Chelsea. It's all equal value, and it's the fairest system of deciding who wins the prizes and who has to try again the next time.

Quick Reply