Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v PSG?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.5%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (1.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (11.8%)
      James Milner
      62 (45.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      31 (22.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      10 (7.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (2.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Voting closed: Sep 22, 2018 09:53:41 pm

Liverpool 3-2 Paris St Germain: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25203 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Liverpool 3-2 Paris St Germain: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Sep 19, 2018 04:57:07 am
      When I saw our line up I was quite concerned. I didn't think either Henderson or Sturridge would be right for this fixture. Henderson I thought would get played off the pitch by better players like we've seen modric do to him for example, and Sturridge lacks the mobility needed against a side like PSG.  It wouldn't have been the team I'd have chosen anyway.

First couple of minutes PSG had the ball and were knocking it around. Neymar skipped past our midfielders a few times and I was starting to fear the worst. I thought it was going to be 90minutes of chasing shadows but how wrong was I.

We got a grip of the game straight away and looked far superior than them. We were constantly knocking at the door and putting some real hard pressure on them. I'm not sure how many corners we had in the first half but it felt like 100. The tempo was good and the confidence was good.

We take the lead with a great header from Sturridge. Trent whips a great ball in from the flank which was somehow missed by everyone. Robertson picks it up and whips an even better ball in and there's Daniel Sturridge to head home. A proper striker knowing exactly where to be. That's probably the one thing he has the edge on firmino. Sturridge just naturally knows where to be for those type of chances. Great ball in, great header and we deservedly took the lead.

Our lead increases moments later with a great James Milner penalty. It was a stonewall penalty where Wijnaldum was clearly tripped in the box. 2-0, fully deserved and cruising.

PSG equalise just before HT and I can't even remember properly what happened. It just seemed at the time like it was a freak goal that came out of nowhere but taking nothing away from their lad, it was a good hit and a good goal.

2-1 HT but that scoreline flattered PSG. It should have been more and we were completely on top.

The second half starts and what I liked most was the fact we were looking for that third goal. There was no sitting back or time wasting or trying to keep the ball at the back for 45mins. We were on the front foot once more attacking PSGs goal. At the same time, I felt we always looked solid, organised and well drilled and I didn't feel any threat from them at all to be honest.

Salah stupidly gave the ball away in his own half which they quickly score from and equalise. At that point it looked like they snatched a draw and if they had it would have been robbery to say the least. A learning curve for us though. If you give opposition like this a sniff then they'll take their chances and punish you.

Thankfully firmino got hold of the ball and nestled one in the net in stoppage time with a great strike to seal all three points which was thoroughly deserved. A fantastic win and a fantastic performance yet again. These are supposed to be the big favourites for the competition and we showed that we're every bit as good as them if not better.

The job klopp has done is nothing short of remarkable taking us from mid table to one of the best sides in Europe.

I want to give my boy James Milner another shout out who must have covered every blade of grass tonight. Another fantastic performance from him. I thought he was excellent.

However it was just one of those games where everybody played well and it was a proper team effort. Then back five were all superb once more and it's just so enjoyable watching a Liverpool team who can defend now with real class. There's no liabilities at the back any more, they're all top class players.

The midfield three won their battles tonight and all three of them covered ground, made interceptions and won challenges. Some real tough 50-50 tackles which always makes me smile. Both Henderson and Milner in particular flying into them. Brilliant.

Mane was a handful as always keeping their back line busy and Mo was too even though his final touch or shot isn't quite happening for him just yet. I'm not worried about that though. He's still a threat and he's still always involved in the game just things aren't quite coming off for him at the moment which happens in football. I'd be more worried if he was a ghost and not involved but that's not the case at all.

Finally I want to end my post with the biggest shout out of them all and that's to Daniel Sturridge. I think this lad deserves huge, huge praise.  He lost his place some time ago at this club and nobody's ever heard a peep from him. He just gets his head down and carrys on working. He got his chance tonight and I'm so made up for him that he scored. I wouldn't have started him personally because he's not the most mobile of forwards and that's essential for how we play, but my god, he put a real shift in tonight. He was swapping with mane and really tracking back down that flank which isn't his comfort zone but he was putting a shift in for the team, all while he hasn't played regular football in years. He came off the pitch pouring with sweat to a well deserved standing ovation. Thanks for the shift you put in tonight Daniel, you did yourself and the club proud mate.

A fantastic win reds, f**king get in there.

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018 05:02:09 am by HamannsTheMan »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #599: Sep 19, 2018 05:05:14 am
      What a game. Thought I'd let a day go by before I extrapolate on a few thoughts I'd had, but I can't stop myself. Buzzing.

I often watch matches late at night on "weekends" here when I'm absolutely knackered, and don't watch quite as closely as I'd like to at times. I say "weekends" in quotes as I help run a bowling alley/mini golf centre that I spend 50-60 hours at per week, so my weekends are actually Mondays and Tuesdays usually. Hence, after a 14 hour working Saturday I'm usually just watching bleary eyed with a beer in hand when we beat Spurs, Leicester etc

This mornings game was a 4:30am Wednesday kick off for me. Not the best time, but having been at home relaxing yesterday I was more than buzzing for the game this morning. Alarm went off at 4:25am, and besides the 30 seconds it took me to work out exactly why that was, I quickly snapped awake and was as ready as I've been for a game since the Final in May. Not to say I'm not f**king buzzing every PL game we play and win, but - well, I don't think I have to explain to any real red why a European Night at Anfield is like nothing else as a Liverpool fan, and I say that as someone who's only experience of that in person was the 1-0 vs Augsburg in the 2016 Europa!

My thoughts since the draw have been all around this PSG kick off fixture, and I had a few thoughts on it:

1) THE BUILD UP: To have this fixture kick off this years campaign is bloody beautiful. Though everything about last years campaign was wonderful (beyond Kyiv), and the group stage was a lot of fun as always, there was that slight inkling inside that we had been gifted a draw. I loved it, obviously, as it meant - theoretically - we should have a nose in the knockouts already. Obviously it proved a bit more challenging early doors, but we eventually made it happen with some brilliant wins.

However, Sevilla was the "marquee" opponent of the group. No disrespect to them, but there was no match in our group stages that had the world, not just LFC fans but the world, licking their lips. The only water cooler discussion that came from neutrals re Liverpool in the groups last year was "how the f**k do they blow these leads against Sevilla?" - we were expected to win.

Again, no disrespect to Sevilla but PSG visiting Anfield had the football world talking. The two most expensive players in the world, one just coming off a World Cup winning campaign in which he was key, the other one of the most recognised footballers in the world - amongst a team that sees themselves as a Galacticos type that is realistically looking at winning the Champions League every year they go into it. Liverpool have been a powerhouse for years, in name if not always in performance - we've earned that respect. So to have this new lot come up against our team playing the football we are again, it's the talk of the first round of matches.

PSG are powerhouse as far as their worldwide branding goes. Even before they really pulled off some of these big signings, I remember sitting in a few smoke filled dorms on campus in college a few years ago and playing FIFA with buddies. Every FIFA sesh had many of the fellas picking PSG - none of them were huge footy fans, but they loved the idea of PSG and the team they had then was pretty good already. Zlatan certainly helped put them on the map.

It's also Nike recognising their branding potential. I went to the University of Oregon, on which Nike was founded on the wonderful Hayward Field. That brand is such a powerhouse, it's fingerprints are all over that campus for sure - but the culture around it is obviously a worldwide phenomenon. Nike/Jordan choosing PSG as their first major foray into football branding with the Jumpman logo was major. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc blew up when they posted those jerseys. I walked into a sports store in Adelaide a few days ago and, whilst they had a fair selection of the standard Liverpool, manure, Barca etc jerseys on display as per usual, the PSG display was bigger than any other on that day - and included a rack of their home, their away, and both home and away Jordan brand kits.

These guys may not quite have had the worldwide on the field success yet, but off it - they are banging in goals. Which leads me to...

2) THE MATCH: PSG debuted these "FIRE KITS" in the Champions League. The biggest stage of all. Jordan x PSG 21st Century branding, taking on the history and might of Liverpool.

And didn't we make those kits look like some f**king brilliant traffic cones.

Sure, PSG had their chances. But that's what they were - chances. They weren't endemic of the overall flow of the game at any singular point, they were simply chances. And to be fair, they took them. Mbappe gave Jumpman an advertising image at the very least, in his celebration. And I bet they were salivating at the chance to present it as a "saviour moment" - until that f**king brilliant pirate One-Eyed Bobby went "Arrrrrghhh f**k you Parisian cu*ts, this booty is staying the f**k here"

You can do all the f**k you want with your advertising, but a bunch of f**king absolute hero's wearing red with a simple 'NB' on their chest next to the mighty Liverbird said f**k your Jordan collabs, we're here to play f**king rock and roll footy. And f**king rock and roll we did. All over these f**king cu*ts.

3-2 flatters the f**k out of them because we were all over them. I felt more worry playing f**king Leicester than I did these. Trent looked at Neymar and went f**k me, haven't played Pokemon Go in a while but I'll pocket that little f**ker. Robbo did the same thing with Mbappe. Cavani's biggest f**king contribution was deceiving the linesman for the first goal which was absofuckinglutely offside. Had the ref given the Salah goal, as he should have, then I think we run away with this one. We're still not quite clicking, yet we're f**king bossing it. How the f**k about that.

3) POST MATCH: In the greater context of this group stage, a huge win. We look to the other fixture and see they have a draw, which means we're already top of the group. Napoli away next, then Red Star at home. If we can be sitting on 7 points minimum halfway through, we're in absolute great shape. I think we can win at Napoli for sure - f**k me we can win anywhere. But a point minimum with a win at home to Red Star (we should be bossing that) would be brilliant. Many looked at this group and were a little worried, hence why this game being first, at home, was huge. This sets the tone. We have the running already. We are now in position to set up the group stage to be a more comfortable run than some we have had in the past.

PSG already behind, knowing they now have to make sure they get as many points out of two other tough home and aways - and they don't play anywhere near as cohesively as we do, from what I can see from that performance. All well and good bossing a league in which you hold the only stars, whole different beast in Europe.

The tough September run has begun with two tough as nails, but great, wins. This immediately sets us up with the confidence going forward, and an ability to keep building the style and play as to how we want to be, knowing it works no matter the opponent.

There's a maturity across the back, despite the fact 3/4 of those players are "young and inexperienced." There's a wealth of wisdom, talent, and experience across the midfield - and we haven't even played one of our big summer signings bar 30 seconds, and the other isn't even close to his best yet. And we have the best frontline in the world, who have only shown glimpses of what they're capable of.

We aren't even halfway through the gears yet, but f**k me do we look good.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #600: Sep 19, 2018 05:21:38 am
      I loved the urgency that crept into Mane in the last 10 mins after we conceded the equalizer. It was like he WANTED the win!!
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #601: Sep 19, 2018 06:13:28 am
      For me, the MOTM has to the the winning goal scorer. Nuff respect due to James Milner, Mane and Sturridge. Robertson and TAA bossed their high flying attackers.

A great winning start. YNWA .
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #602: Sep 19, 2018 07:20:40 am
      Also a massive F**k YOU to the useless officials, referee who didn’t look interested, linesman who had obviously been assaulted by Jan Vertonghen in both eyes and those cu*ts with the magic wands who are a waste of space. Another sh*t show of officiating. PSG first goal was offside, PSG second goal came from a goal kick that should have been a corner and Mane denied a goal scoring chance by being flagged for offside. VAR please, now.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #603: Sep 19, 2018 07:41:22 am
      Salah has been very poor IMO, I would have liked to see him replaced by Shaqiri much sooner. But anyway, we won in great fashio while our front 3 is still finding its form.

Our defense is very very good now, we are so calm. Midfield was so solid and bossed the game. Hendo is proving me wrong, again... (Y)

Once Salah is on track again, we're set for an extraordinary season.
      Firmino in 20 min has shown that he is reaching his peak form soon. These are the things I haven't seen him do for a while, right?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #604: Sep 19, 2018 07:44:37 am
      In the cup game in 97, I wanted to play into the Kop first half, as I felt we needed every bit of advantage possible to try and get the three goals we needed to level the tie. But we didn't, and came up just short.

Hendo has lost 3 of his last 4 tosses at home, so this time we would play into the Kop first half. We got stuck into them immediately, and deservedly led 2-1 into the break. In the second half, we got better again. We made them look like a pub team tbh, and should have been further ahead by the time Salah gave the ball away and was punished. But Firmino showed there was nothing wrong with him and when we needed him to step up and be counted, he put them out of sight.

We've won our first 6 competitive games for the first time since 1961. We were promoted that season and haven't looked back since. It's also our 10th win in a row, and it's a long time since we could last say that. We've certainly come a long way from one year ago when the Ox made his debut at Leicester in the cup, which was the most significant thing to come from it. But some clubs have no history of success in this competition, and just don't get it no matter how much they spend, and others like us, embrace it and go up another level when it's our turn to make our mark.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #605: Sep 19, 2018 08:42:12 am
      It's also our 10th win in a row, and it's a long time since we could last say that.

Especially seeing as it’s incorrect, we lost the last game of our 2017/18 season. It’s 6 games in a row.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #606: Sep 19, 2018 08:45:28 am
      F***ing get in, you absolute beauties.

Last night was a lesson to the Sheikhs and the oligarchs...you simply cannot buy class.

Milner and Gini were immense in the midfield, and Bobby should have a golden pirate statue of himself erected on the docks...
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #607: Sep 19, 2018 08:45:34 am
      Especially seeing as it’s incorrect, we lost the last game of our 2017/18 season. It’s 6 games in a row.

I'm assuming he is including pre-season, which I don't count - but that's all I can grasp as the reasoning.

This season is its own entity anyway - we have played six, we've won six. All I care about this year is the record of the 18/19 season. Unless we're on a run that could knock off the 49 unbeaten run of Arsenal those years back, I could not be arsed about combining other season records. So much changes season to season - unless you're Tottenham :D

Last night was a lesson to the Sheikhs and the oligarchs...you simply cannot buy class.

You just get it on a Bosman from the Sheikhs ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #608: Sep 19, 2018 08:51:54 am
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7

It's not incorrect. The last game the first team didn't win was in Charlotte in July.

Since then, it's played 10, won 10.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #609: Sep 19, 2018 08:57:29 am
      It's not incorrect. The last game the first team didn't win was in Charlotte in July.

Mourinho would include friendlies!

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #610: Sep 19, 2018 09:17:19 am

If you're talking first team, then you're not correct either. Bunch of our first team wasn't even in the same country at that point.

Just keep it to competitive matches. It's much easier, and actually makes sense.

Not surprised to see some alternative facts from yourself though... 8)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #611: Sep 19, 2018 09:19:43 am
      Probably already discussed but saw Rio and some other analysts that broke down Salah’s reaction. Apparently right before he threw the water bottle down he had been celebrating. He then took a drink and threw the bottle on the ground. Sounds like it’s much ado about nothing. Context was necessary.

To be fair I think the presenters were trying to make a bit more of it.  It was the ex-pro's who said there was nothing in it - even the Mancs like Hargreaves, Ferdinand and Owen.

I'm guessing it was a mixture of frustration at his performance, relief that his error for their equaliser had been cancelled out OR when he stretched his arms up in the air he did his shoulder in again...  :f_whistle:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #612: Sep 19, 2018 09:45:50 am
      If you're talking first team, then you're not correct either. Bunch of our first team wasn't even in the same country at that point.

Just keep it to competitive matches. It's much easier, and actually makes sense.

I blame Rafa.
      Its 6 competitive games on the bounce how good does that sound now lets make it 7 on Saturday
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #613: Sep 19, 2018 09:49:56 am
      Hey PSG, TAKE THAT!!!
      Sorry for my caplocks :D
      Still grinning until now...:D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #614: Sep 19, 2018 09:53:26 am
      I went for Gini he like Hendo and Milner just worked their socks of last night the three of them must have been knackered by the end but I could have given it to Robbo or Trent or Daniel or Bobby for turning up with a dodgy eye and scoring the winner.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #615: Sep 19, 2018 10:02:31 am
      To be fair I think the presenters were trying to make a bit more of it.  It was the ex-pro's who said there was nothing in it - even the Mancs like Hargreaves, Ferdinand and Owen.

I'm guessing it was a mixture of frustration at his performance, relief that his error for their equaliser had been cancelled out OR when he stretched his arms up in the air he did his shoulder in again...  :f_whistle:

He fu**ed up cost us a goal and was relieved in an angry way that we won the match....its that simple.

Many times during playing and watching the game I have celebrated with a "F**k you you cu*ts" attitude rather than smiley faced joy.

Pundits making a scene out of nothing.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #616: Sep 19, 2018 10:45:54 am
      Who the Fcuk is Neymar???????????? Did he even play last night. What a bunch of Sheik Money Grabbing  tw*t's. As for their ULTRA's what a crowd of clowns.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #617: Sep 19, 2018 10:53:34 am
      Quote from bigvYNWA

You can dismiss it as only friendlies if you want, but they're all officially first team games, and we're now seeing the benefits of a positive pre-season atm. New signings settling in, others rebuilding their confidence, new partnerships at the back established, team morale and confidence boosted by good performances and results, which all helped the later arrivals to slot back in as if they've never been away.

So the real facts are we've won our last 10 games. If we win our next 10, we can probably rest players when it's time to go to Paris, for the derby at the weekend.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #618: Sep 19, 2018 11:10:34 am

You can’t count pre-season, pre-season doesn’t go down in the records books. Otherwise Everton look damn good for a 22-0 win they got in the summer. Summer friendlies are irrelevant for stats; they don’t count as competitive stats.

Especially seeing as pre-season isn’t even the first team players for large parts of it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #619: Sep 19, 2018 11:23:11 am
      Anyone else spot Fabinho with Jürgen at the end?  The lad looked like he was buzzing - he was only on for about 20 seconds!

It was as if after a couple of months Klopp had finally said to him - now you are ready!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #620: Sep 19, 2018 11:52:41 am
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      You can’t count pre-season, pre-season doesn’t go down in the records books. Summer friendlies are irrelevant for stats; they don’t count as competitive stats.

Especially seeing as pre-season isn’t even the first team players for large parts of it.

The first thing you see on the fixtures page on the club site are the results back in July, so yes it does count in the record books. Robbo, Milner, Fabinho, Keita, Studge, have been involved since Day 1. The Dutchmen returned the following week, VVD and Gomez became the central defenders, Shaqiri scored on his debut, Salah scored within one minute of his return, Mane got his fair share also. It all meant they were ready to hit the ground running when the competitive games started, and they did.

By contrast, the mancs had a pre-season meltdown, which carried over into the competitive games. That's what happens. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I wasn't counting them as "competitive stats". You can split hairs with them, dismiss them, not recognise them whatever, but when I say we've won the last 10 games, that is a fact and the records are there to prove that.

Quick Reply