Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v So'ton?

Alisson
      2 (1.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.9%)
      Joel Matip
      16 (15.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (5.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      10 (9.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      8 (7.7%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      44 (42.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      4 (3.8%)
      James Milner
      1 (1%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Voting closed: Sep 26, 2018 04:51:21 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24718 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Sep 23, 2018 01:35:30 am
      one thing you have to remember is last season Salah was just another player at this stage in the season. Now he is world class and everyone knows it. Teams setup just to stop him, which gives the rest of the team space. Today Southampton stuck 3 defenders on him at times, they got nervous that badly they were kicking the ball in their own net. I am putting it down to Salah scares the sh*t out of defences.

F***ing hell Rib. Not bad.

I don't think Salah is a shadow of his self at all - today he was all over that backline, they were f**king terrified. Could have had a hat trick if not for a decent tackle when he was through, and that almost goal of the year back heel. He's still a touch off his best, but he's certainly doing the job for us. He's adjusting to life as a world class player with a target on his back pretty well, I reckon.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #254: Sep 23, 2018 04:29:37 am
      one thing you have to remember is last season Salah was just another player at this stage in the season. Now he is world class and everyone knows it. Teams setup just to stop him, which gives the rest of the team space. Today Southampton stuck 3 defenders on him at times, they got nervous that badly they were kicking the ball in their own net. I am putting it down to Salah scares the sh*t out of defences.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #255: Sep 23, 2018 04:55:45 am
      I hope Jürgen rests EVERY important player in the League Cup (and even then we should have some decent squad)! What do you think? For me a League Cup win would mean 0.0, it's only FA, CL and PL that counts, but I am not English, so does the League Cup mean anything to you or is it just like those preseason tournament sh*t they invented recently?

I think the FA Cup has slid in terms of importance.  But, the last few yeas their  have been some fantastic matches and finals. Its still not the CL or PL. But i love it and hope we win it.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #256: Sep 23, 2018 05:20:24 am
      Great to see us getting the points again without being anywhere near our best.  We are looking far less likely to concede at the moment that for a long time.

Shaq was very good - he will only get better having better players around him.  Robbo just continues to impress me, he must be the most complete left back around at the moment.

It is nice to know that the midweek game will see both teams rest players and we have a bunch of lads who are actually playing to get in our best 11, we do have some greater depth than recent years.

Gave Matip my MOTM, as I thought he looked very good for his first game of the season, and took his goal very well.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #257: Sep 23, 2018 05:40:47 am

Positive post usually means Rib got laid, congrats!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #258: Sep 23, 2018 05:47:53 am
      Shame the 4th didn’t stand.

Heard during the game that they haven’t scored a league goal against us since Mane did. Is that right?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #259: Sep 23, 2018 06:27:23 am

Just watched MOTD and even re-watching the full match, nothing is actually said of the disallowed goal, but shouldn't the disallowed goal have counted? It came off 2 Southampton players before Salah latched on to it?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #260: Sep 23, 2018 06:59:46 am
      Shaqiri and Matip were brilliant as the rest of the team. We were stuck at 2nd gear but it was enough :)

Keep them coming.

32 wins left! 6 are in the bag :)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #261: Sep 23, 2018 08:01:20 am
      Shame the 4th didn’t stand.

Heard during the game that they haven’t scored a league goal against us since Mane did. Is that right?

Remember hearing that too mixed in with half a dozen facts about how sh*te Shane Long is
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #262: Sep 23, 2018 08:51:08 am
      Remember hearing that too mixed in with half a dozen facts about how sh*te Shane Long is
      Did I hear that he has scored 2 in his last 61 appearances for club and country?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #263: Sep 23, 2018 09:00:16 am
      Did I hear that he has scored 2 in his last 61 appearances for club and country?

Correct :laugh:
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #264: Sep 23, 2018 10:12:01 am
      Wow if Salah is having a crisis, wonder what they say about Long.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #265: Sep 23, 2018 10:29:50 am
      Not done this type of post in while but will give it a go:

Allison: Didn't faff about and seemed good on the ball, got rid when needed and made a decent save at the end 7/10

TAA: Lad is getting better and better, thought he looked great again. 8/10
      VvD: Best centre back in the world bar none. Hope all is ok, but looked like a precaution to take him off. 8/10
      Matip: Great to see him back, love watching him go on those huge runs upfield, good with the ball and well taken header. 9/10
      Robertson: World class player, never a bad game and today was no different, I imagine people must hate playing against him and I'm delighted we have him. 9/10

Henderson: Kept the game ticking over very nicely. Made some excellent recoveries and looked good when pressed up further too, really nice dribble which took 3 players out of the game. Saints midfield couldn't get past or get a grip of the game. 9/10
      Gini: Same with Henderson, Saints could do nothing to get round or win the ball back because our midfield was so much better than theirs. Gini is having his best season ever so far in this team, and today was another top showing. 9/10
      Shaqiri: Thought he might play in this position when we signed him, and boy has he made a mark soon. He's loving the freedom that Gini and Hendo give him to march forward and the deeper role than he normally plays means he has space, and space and pace are frightening when put together. I cannot wait to see more of him in that 3 in midfield. 9/10

Salah: Don't get all this talk about him not playing well, he looks a little tired at times but nothing more. He's getting into the right places and also let's not forget he's actually scoring 1 in 2 which is nothing to sniff at. Another step in the right direction today 8/10
      Mane: Quieter game for Sadio today, but when he gets the ball it's just exciting, you can tell defenders are shitting themselves because they know they don't have the pace to deal with him. 7/10
      Firmino: Was off the boil a little, things were just an inch out of place or passes just short of the mark. Still though his workrate and pressure is always on point, just love having him in the team and you can see him, Mo and Mane are thinking the same things, but it didn't quite come off the way he wanted against Saint. Still a decent showing 7/10

Gomez also looks like a beast at CB, was great to see him perform even without VvD beside him. Keita isn't having the impact I thought he'd have right from the start, but Klopp does like to give new signings time as we seen with Robbo so I'm happy to see him slowly introduced. Also Milner might just be the best player in the league based on form right now!

What a F***ing team we have!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #266: Sep 23, 2018 11:33:13 am

Holy sh*t :D

My mates a big saints fan, said to after the game that he knew they were fu**ed when he saw Shane Long isolated up front :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #267: Sep 23, 2018 11:55:21 am
      People need to understand that finishing involves luck to a significant degree, and outcomes naturally fluctuate over time. Obviously seeing a player missing chances can be frustrating but on the long term the most important thing is that your players are getting themselves into good positions, creating and getting chances. And that Salah has been doing the whole season, which is why I'm really not worried about him. He's been quite good and he's probably due for a spectacular performance sometime soon.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #268: Sep 23, 2018 01:43:28 pm
      People need to understand that finishing involves luck to a significant degree, and outcomes naturally fluctuate over time. Obviously seeing a player missing chances can be frustrating but on the long term the most important thing is that your players are getting themselves into good positions, creating and getting chances. And that Salah has been doing the whole season, which is why I'm really not worried about him. He's been quite good and he's probably due for a spectacular performance sometime soon.

Yep.
      On another day, that little flick goes inside the far post.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #269: Sep 23, 2018 01:45:16 pm
      Professional performance by the team, good to get back into keeping clean sheets after we have been giving up goals the last couple of games. Major positive to see Shaqiri really make impact in his first start, makes it easier for Klopp to rotate him in the front three/CAM position throughout the season if he makes a impact.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #270: Sep 23, 2018 02:22:15 pm
      Good piece by Tomkins today about how we haven't really got out of 2nd gear yet.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #271: Sep 23, 2018 03:08:24 pm
      I just hope the shadow keeps on playing like he did against Southampton as he takes 2 or 3 opposing players out if the game every time he has the ball.

Would you not prefer the shadow to become a beam of light and score a hat-trick?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #272: Sep 23, 2018 03:11:59 pm

Why doesn't that affect Kane, Aguero, Ronaldo, Messi or the other consistent top scorers around the world, is it really only Salah who get extra defenders assigned to him?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #273: Sep 23, 2018 03:19:51 pm
      Would you not prefer the shadow to become a beam of light and score a hat-trick?

I would prefer all the players to play their part in winning the game , I suspect Salah himself just wants to win.

He isn’t far off hitting the same level of form he did last year - you can see the confidence coming back with the runs and little touches , some great defending stopped him getting a hat trick and that flick was the stuff you see Messi do
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #274: Sep 23, 2018 03:29:37 pm
      I would prefer all the players to play their part in winning the game , I suspect Salah himself just wants to win.

He isn’t far off hitting the same level of form he did last year - you can see the confidence coming back with the runs and little touches , some great defending stopped him getting a hat trick and that flick was the stuff you see Messi do

I agree with you, I saw very positive signs yesterday from Salah, he is getting back to his best and had a smile on his face but still a lot of unforced errors from him and Bobby, especially second half.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #275: Sep 23, 2018 07:59:44 pm
      Whenever people say "we never do things the easy way", they should be shown a replay of this game.

The worst thing that happened was the timing of the third goal. It allowed everyone to switch off after the break, as what tends to happen teams with a 3 goal half time lead. Whereas if it was 2-0, everyone would still be switched on and fully focused on looking for more, at least at the start of the second half.

But we got what we wanted, clean sheet and 3 points, and we're back on top of the league.

Quote from German_Panzer
      I hope Jürgen rests EVERY important player in the League Cup (and even then we should have some decent squad)! What do you think? For me a League Cup win would mean 0.0, it's only FA, CL and PL that counts, but I am not English, so does the League Cup mean anything to you or is it just like those preseason tournament sh*t they invented recently?

It's the only thing we've won in 12 years, it was Jürgen's first win in charge, and his first final. You don't have to be English to take it seriously. And I will be taking it as seriously as any other game.

Our first game is home v Chelsea. We can't really relax though. We had enough of it in the second half against Southampton.

Quick Reply