Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v So'ton?

Alisson
      2 (1.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.9%)
      Joel Matip
      16 (15.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (5.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      10 (9.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      8 (7.7%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      44 (42.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      4 (3.8%)
      James Milner
      1 (1%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Voting closed: Sep 26, 2018 04:51:21 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24755 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Sep 23, 2018 08:48:09 pm
      Another brilliant win and superb tactical changes from Jürgen who now has the luxury of a quality bench to choose from.

Despite what I've said I still found myself shouting in frustration at the telly second half with our slow build up play but I suppose I'm just gonna have to get use to it this season, watching us shut games off from the opposition once we grab the lead.

The rotation of our front three constantly throughout each game must be an opposition managers nightmare, whoever we play in England, Europe and around the world.
      One minute Mo was on the right wing, then he was through the middle with Sadio taking his place out wide and Bobby just floats majestically in and around them both.
      Some of Bobby's touches and turns are truly world class and his off the ball running is a pleasure to watch.

Any team that Mark Hughes brings to Anfield gets twatted and long may that continue.
      They were sh*te and even with Ings in the team they would've still been sh*te.
      Hughes got away by the skin of his teeth keeping that team up last season as he did with Stoke the year before.
      The man's the kiss of death.

Can we knock Chelsea out of the cup on Wednesday? YES
      Can we beat Chelsea at the bridge next week? YES !
      Can we get a result against Napoli? YES !
      Can we beat Man City? YES !

Bonus -
      Maureen's face on his touchline walk down the tunnel  :lmao:
      Everton getting twatted by the Arse  :lmao:

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #277: Sep 23, 2018 09:11:15 pm
      Another brilliant win and superb tactical changes from Jürgen who now has the luxury of a quality bench to choose from.

Despite what I've said I still found myself shouting in frustration at the telly second half with our slow build up play but I suppose I'm just gonna have to get use to it this season, watching us shut games off from the opposition once we grab the lead.

The rotation of our front three constantly throughout each game must be an opposition managers nightmare, whoever we play in England, Europe and around the world.
      One minute Mo was on the right wing, then he was through the middle with Sadio taking his place out wide and Bobby just floats majestically in and around them both.
      Some of Bobby's touches and turns are truly world class and his off the ball running is a pleasure to watch.

Any team that Mark Hughes brings to Anfield gets twatted and long may that continue.
      They were sh*te and even with Ings in the team they would've still been sh*te.
      Hughes got away by the skin of his teeth keeping that team up last season as he did with Stoke the year before.
      The man's the kiss of death.

Can we knock Chelsea out of the cup on Wednesday? YES
      Can we beat Chelsea at the bridge next week? YES !
      Can we get a result against Napoli? YES !
      Can we beat Man City? YES !

Bonus -
      Maureen's face on his touchline walk down the tunnel  :lmao:
      Everton getting twatted by the Arse  :lmao:

I get what you're saying on this point. It's the natural instinct to constantly go hell for leather, racking up goal after goal to satisfy our greed and to steal as much headlines as possible. But in the long run it's just not sustainable. In Jürgen's first full season two years ago we were superb in the first half of the season - utterly plundering the opposition's goal from first to last minute and at times their dignity as well! But we were exhausted come the second half of the season and we just about slumped over the line to claim 4th spot, despite having the luxury of not playing midweek European games. That certainly influenced Jürgen's rotation policy last season and it continues to influence us this season where we've shown, I think in every game, a real tendency to pace ourselves throughout the match. Perhaps my perception is false but I feel we are playing at a much more methodical and sedate pace now compared to when Jürgen first took over and even compared to last season. Sometimes I wonder how much the change of assistant manager has had on that. Maybe Lijnders is more of a control and calm type of coach whereas Buvac was the commander of the Blitzkreig style?
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #278: Sep 23, 2018 09:38:24 pm
      Decent points there FmS and yeah, It's becoming more and more obvious that our constant methodical square balls across the back four and running the game down is a tactic now employed for a reason.
      If it means all our second half displays are similar as that yesterday for the rest of the season then so be it, so long as we have a comfortable lead of course.
      Will we have that luxury against Man C? Chelsea? probably not.
      We will have the firepower up front though and we seem to be applying more pressure from midfield for longer sustained periods of time. The PSG game being the perfect example.

The whole team/squad have stepped up a level this time round and it's showing.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #279: Sep 23, 2018 09:54:24 pm
      No complaints at all, except we tried to overdrible into goal. If we could take a shot early, whenever an opportunity arises, who knows, we would get a rebound into goal.  Hope to see more players moving into the near post to meet the incoming cross from the flanks.  Overall very happy, moreso Chelea scoreless against West Ham.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #280: Sep 24, 2018 01:32:43 pm
      Usually I do a lengthy match analysis and give my take but there's no need.

I think it's safe to say that we're going to win every F***ing game this season and win the F***ing lot.

Up the mighty F***ing reds
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #281: Sep 24, 2018 02:43:44 pm
      I predicted 3-0 almost all games. I put 2-0 and it's 3-0. I just can't get a perfect score!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Southampton
      Reply #282: Sep 24, 2018 04:03:09 pm
      As a grumpy b***ard, not overly keen on this line up and the space we allow the opposition
      Think Klopp ended up agreeing with you, hence hooking Shaq at half time.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #283: Sep 25, 2018 03:01:43 am
      Why doesn't that affect Kane, Aguero, Ronaldo, Messi or the other consistent top scorers around the world, is it really only Salah who get extra defenders assigned to him?

Kane hasn't exactly been lighting it up lately - and also isn't nearly the same kind of player. I was also unaware Aguero scored 40+ with ease a season regularly? Ronaldo and Messi play in sh*te leagues as far as top to bottom competition goes - and they're also Ronaldo and Messi, but they don't always have it easy either.

Not to mention Salah has 3 out of his first 6 league games played, not even at full gear yet. At a conservative current pace he still ends up with 19 league goals this year - nothing at all to sniff at, considering Mane and others are chipping in pretty well. But if the chances start falling with more regularity he'll end up mid to high 20's league scores at very least, which is more than enough as long as the others keep contributing.

Last season was magical and record breaking. While I'd be more than happy with him to hit those heights every year, we've gotta stop panicking as soon as he isn't banging 4 in one game. Ronaldo has had a bit of a hit and miss start to this league campaign as well, so it can happen to anyone.

The worst thing that happened was the timing of the third goal. It allowed everyone to switch off after the break, as what tends to happen teams with a 3 goal half time lead. Whereas if it was 2-0, everyone would still be switched on and fully focused on looking for more, at least at the start of the second half.

Ask me if I want a 3-0 HT lead with the ability to control and see the game out in the 2nd half or 2-0 HT lead with the lads still sweating after HT and I'll give you the same answer every time.

I honestly don't think there was any less lack of focus after HT - indeed, it should have been 4-0 and we still looked boss. We had a change of shape to get a bit more control, we lost our colossus at the back early doors second half and had to adjust to that as well.

Gimme 3-0 at HT every F***ing game the rest of my life.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #284: Sep 25, 2018 05:03:34 pm
      There was a lack of focus after half time. Because of the three goal half time lead, we switched off and played the second half at walking pace.

It's happened before and it will happen again. Now people can say we did what we had to do, but goal difference could still be a factor, and we don't want to be too far behind City if it does become a issue. The last time it was against City, it was too late to do something about it. So when we have the chance to put away the opposition, we should take it, not let it go.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #285: Sep 25, 2018 06:18:56 pm
      People need to understand that finishing involves luck to a significant degree, and outcomes naturally fluctuate over time. Obviously seeing a player missing chances can be frustrating but on the long term the most important thing is that your players are getting themselves into good positions, creating and getting chances. And that Salah has been doing the whole season, which is why I'm really not worried about him. He's been quite good and he's probably due for a spectacular performance sometime soon.

Just following up on that:

https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/1044611377644675078

If you're hysterical about Salah then you're a bit clueless tbh
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #286: Oct 13, 2018 08:44:45 pm
      Relive the atmosphere on matchday with audio commentary of the best bits of the game.

https://youtu.be/tSmMZq8_ULc
      hismaimai8888
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #287: Nov 14, 2018 03:04:47 pm
      I think this is a great match!
      Prepare for the next match and more importantly the European C1 arena

Quick Reply