Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Hicks to buy Roma? (Not)

Read 2122 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Hicks to buy Roma? (Not)
      Nov 13, 2007 08:27:46 pm
      Just seen on SSN ticker that a spoksman has denighed that Tom Hicks is interested in buying Roma.
      Also on Web.
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_2879143,00.html

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has denied holding an interest in buying Italian club Roma.

Widespread reports in Italy had claimed that Hicks met Roma president Franco Sensi to discuss taking a majority shareholding at the Stadio Olimpico.

The rumours led to the club's share price leaping eight per cent in value, but Hicks' spokesman Roy Winnick insists the speculation is wide of the mark.

"There is absolutely no truth whatsoever in the rumour that Mr Hicks is even considering investing in Roma Football Club," said Winnick.

American interest

Earlier in the day, Roma's controlling shareholder Italpetroli released a statement on Roma's official website saying the company had "been informed by a third party of the possible interest of an American businessman wanting to invest in AS Roma's capital".

The statement added: "As of yet, Italpetroli has not received, directly or indirectly, any interest nor offer from such investor, with the object of acquiring the majority package of AS Roma."

Hicks and fellow American businessman George Gillett completed a takeover of Liverpool back in February.

Uefa regulations prohibit an individual from having a majority shareholding in more than one club competing in the same competition.

Hicks' Southwest Sports Group also owns the Dallas Stars ice hockey team from the NHL and the Texas Rangers baseball franchise from MLB in the United States.

Is this just another stupid attemp to upset LFC in the quiet spell of International Football, I hope so, but of course they could become a feeder club to the Reds.
      Is there any profit in owning a club with no ground? Questionalbe fans ethics, in a league riddled with hooligans.

Anyone else heard of this crazy story?,
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Hicks to buy Roma? (Not)
      Reply #1: Nov 13, 2007 10:15:45 pm
      Yeah, I just heard he denied having interest. Feeder club would be cool! I didn't know they didn't have a ground though ??? Weird.
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 13, 2007 11:07:40 pm
      i really hope this isnt true, there's also been rumours over the weekend that him and Gillet have had a bust up although Rick Parry has denied that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Nov 13, 2007 11:36:14 pm
      Not seen too much of Gilett have we.

Considering it was originally Gilett who tracked Liverpool and then 'dragged' Hicks in to it - it seems to be all Hicks these days.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #4: Nov 14, 2007 08:09:38 am

Is there any profit in owning a club with no ground? Questionalbe fans ethics, in a league riddled with hooligans.

Hey Redpuppy, can you please expatiate on the above quote? Kinda lost me there
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Nov 14, 2007 03:19:43 pm
      The Ground "Stadio Olympica" (I think thats the name) is I believed owned by the City and not the club. Not sure if Lazio still play there as I had heard they were building their own ground. No just been to their web site and apears that they still play their too. Wikipedia it's own by the Municipality of Rome. The Fans bit is self explanatory if you know the history of the '84 win against Roma.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #6: Nov 14, 2007 03:24:47 pm
      The Ground "Stadio Olympica" (I think thats the name) is I believed owned by the City and not the club. Not sure if Lazio still play there as I had heard they were building their own ground. No just been to their web site and apears that they still play their too. Wikipedia it's own by the Municipality of Rome. The Fans bit is self explanatory if you know the history of the '84 win against Roma.

Thanks mate
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #7: Nov 14, 2007 04:02:19 pm
      Happens all over the continent.  Weren't Real Madrid looking to buld that amazing 'second stadium' a few years back and the Madrid council just gave them the money.

Different world.

Here you have to fight tooth and nail against the idiot Liverpool city councillors.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #8: Nov 14, 2007 04:21:46 pm
      The yanks are not Liverpool fans - more important - they are not Football Fans.

They're business men and will keep there eyes and ears open for other possible investments.

I would have a major problem if they were investing there money into another football club - that would be money that could be spent on us.

Story is probably 'Bull' but it's come from somewhere and do I trust them ? !?:

They're Yanks !!!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Nov 15, 2007 04:13:45 pm
      Happens all over the continent.  Weren't Real Madrid looking to buld that amazing 'second stadium' a few years back and the Madrid council just gave them the money.

Different world.

Here you have to fight tooth and nail against the idiot Liverpool city councillors.

Not quite. Real Madrid sold off very valuable land to the council who in turn sold it on for a massive profit and now 4 huge sky scrapers stand where the training pitches were.

Real Madrid new training facility is now 5 mins away from Madrid airport.

Have to admit Madrid give a lot more support to Real Madrid than to Atletico or Getafe... I can only imagine what would happen if the bluenoses thought we got preferential treatment from the council.

Liverpool need the americans and the americans don't necessarily need Liverpool - that is a fact of life. But I trust Rick Parry who I above every body else at the club, including Rafa, I view as the man to take Liverpool forward...and is doing so... HE chose Rafa and HE chose the Yanks - RICK PARRY = LIVERPOOL FC.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #10: Nov 15, 2007 04:16:51 pm
      f***in hell what he do buy a pizza in Rome?
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #11: Nov 16, 2007 01:32:32 pm
      If there's any truth to it i'd ask Mr. Tom and Jerry to forget about that and concentrate solely on LFC, such misadventure would ultimatley destroy them and our beloved club.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #12: Nov 16, 2007 08:33:00 pm
      If there's any truth to it I'd ask Mr. Tom and Jerry to forget about that and concentrate solely on LFC, such misadventure would ultimatley destroy them and our beloved club.

The will never concentrate solely on LFC... the two families are building a portfolio of sporting clubs!

LFC is by far the most intl "brand" on their books...

God talking of LFC as a business really turns my stomach sometimes... but I do understand it's needed in the context of the economics needed to take LFC to the next level.
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #13: Dec 08, 2007 11:13:58 am
      that rumor is rubbish, complete rubbish. hicks has let out a statment that he does not intend to buy any other part of a club.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #14: Dec 11, 2007 07:15:43 pm
      No smoke no fire, hmm....... could it be that now that they are unwilling to release more funds to Rafa to buy players.

Quick Reply