Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

1 former player you'd love now

Read 9561 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: 1 former player you'd love now
      Reply #69: Nov 12, 2018 10:47:38 am
      Imagine having Steven Gerrard at his pomp in this team. Christ.

Even Xabi.

Our midfield from 2007-2009 behind the front three would be terrific.

Alisson
      Trent Gomez Van Dijk Robertson
      Mascherano Alonso Gerrard
      Salah Firmino Mane
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #70: Nov 12, 2018 01:08:05 pm
      I have to agree with the Suarez pick from above. Suarez from the year of our title challenge on this team would literally be unplayable. He'd have 70 goals.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #71: Nov 12, 2018 01:25:27 pm
      SOUNESS.

Only draw back would be that he would play 1 game miss the next 3....
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #72: Nov 12, 2018 01:41:52 pm
      Two very noticeable camps in this thread;
      The younger fans, premier league era if you like, picking the players they know and saw, and the older lads doing the same with the likes of KK and Souness.

Of course both views have merit, but it's almost impossible to explain just how good the likes of KK and Souness actually were.
      We didn't have 30 camera's showing a player from every conceivable angle back then, and the youtube clips don't do them justice, along with the likes of McDermott, Kennedy (either one), Rush, Smith, Heighway etc etc
      The list is a long one and we've been lucky to have such fantastic players at our club.

Going back to fitness, here's a dressing room pic.
      Look at the muscle development which is that of an athlete, from a time when players didn't hit the weights like they do now.

Sent off after fisticuffs with Bremner (behind)

You can see they are not as ripped as todays players, but clearly they are fit as fiddles.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #73: Nov 12, 2018 03:17:49 pm
      I agree.

Itā€™s not really about fitness per se in my opinion mate.

More about knowledge / education. Players today are fitter because we have far greater understanding of sports science / nutrition etc.

Available today the vast majority of great players would transition no problem.

End of the day you need to be able to play. As the King himself said - ā€œ.....if you cannae play football a bowl of pastaā€™s no gonnae change thatā€.......

Mic drop........
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #74: Nov 12, 2018 03:24:25 pm
      I have to agree with the Suarez pick from above. Suarez from the year of our title challenge on this team would literally be unplayable. He'd have 70 goals.

Agree mate.  Suarez is only one player I definitely believe put him in our current team and we almost guarantee winning a lot of trophies, and the 19.  He's absolutely Klopp player (not a bite thing), he's proved he's above everyone in EPL, and he's a team player.

Of course there are plenty of true legends in the past but I'm not lucky enough to see them play :(
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #75: Nov 12, 2018 03:25:54 pm
      Tough question.... Only 1 makes it so difficult....

I would have to go with Gerrard based on what we need now to push the team forward and to be another leader on the pitch. Christ, with him in his prime and the players we have now it would be an unreal team. Also, in todays Prem I dont see many players of his type anymore - perhaps this is the way its going to go...
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #76: Nov 12, 2018 03:30:51 pm
      I agree.

Itā€™s not really about fitness per se in my opinion mate.

More about knowledge / education. Players today are fitter because we have far greater understanding of sports science / nutrition etc.

Available today the vast majority of great players would transition no problem.

End of the day you need to be able to play. As the King himself said - ā€œ.....if you cannae play football a bowl of pastaā€™s no gonnae change thatā€.......

Mic drop........

I've had this conversation a few times over the years, and there's a couple of points that need consideration imo.
      People in general were smaller, there was very little obesity around, a lot of lads looked skinny but were strong as F**k, so when people speak to me about "older" players getting bullied off the ball etc I tend to laugh, because a lot of these players were hard as nails and strong as a horse. They just didn't look it because they weren't bulked up, they didn't have the kind of "model muscle" as I call it, but the core was just as strong.

The other point is that these guys got absolutely hammered out on the pitch, I mean the tackles were absolutely brutal and I often wondered how they carried on, but they knew how to ride a tackle, their balance was superb and the could take the knocks.
      Of course a lot of them now have problems with knees, ankles, necks, hips etc but a lot of todays players are going to have problems as well, because they are carrying weight which is not natural for them, in added muscle.

And then there was the ball; not one of the featherlight things they have now, the ball had real weight, and to get bend, curl, dip on it was a proper art, and was a basic of the game.
      I'm sure a few of the older lads can tell horror stories of getting hit in the face by a wet "casey" or trying to kick the F***ing thing when it weighed a ton, and that's before we even get to the pitches, some of which resembled a newly ploughed field.

All that, and those guys still played at a very high tempo, showing a lot of skill, pace, stamina, and everything else you expect from a top player.

There's a lot to be said about the progression of sports science, and all it entails, but at the end of the day, as in the above quote from KK, all that matters is "can they play", and F***ing hell those lads could play.
      « Last Edit: Nov 12, 2018 03:37:43 pm by Swab »
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #77: Nov 12, 2018 06:03:15 pm
      There are lots but it is a toss between King Kenny and the teeth himself Suarez.

I suppose right now we could with Gerrard in the midfield.
      « Last Edit: Nov 12, 2018 06:09:07 pm by RobieSlick »
      Derek1892
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #78: Nov 12, 2018 09:03:43 pm
      Xabi Alonso. Absolute gold he was
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #79: Nov 12, 2018 10:14:14 pm
      Gerrard definitely. Linking with those three up front, would be like two players in that position. He was explosively quick too.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #80: Nov 13, 2018 05:27:52 pm
      This is an impossible choice.  :o :o :o
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #81: Nov 13, 2018 05:39:25 pm
      Iā€™d have a 22 year old Steven Gerard ya very much!

Suarez st 25 wouldnā€™t be so bad either.

Iā€™d also love to see what sort of an impact Beardsley could have in this current side.

Quick Reply