Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (3.6%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      9 (10.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      10 (11.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      57 (67.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Sep 30, 2018 09:38:24 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22105 times
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Sep 27, 2018 06:00:26 am

Officials are so f**king incompetent that they don't even decide right using the f**king VAR. F***ing embarrassing.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #392: Sep 27, 2018 06:05:48 am
      It was not a bad game except for Morena and  Fabinho IMO. We could have won, we were unlecky on the free kick andthat we faced Hazard at the form of his life. Unluckily, none of our strikers have reached their top form yet but Shaqiri, Keita, Hendo and evern Sturridge were good. Generally I really hate to lose but I just can't blame anyone here. Unlucky to face Hazard.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #393: Sep 27, 2018 06:56:49 am
      So our B team lost to half the Chelsea A team and we still should have won, always sucks to lose but the league is far more important.
      agree with this. Would prefer to win, but where we are now, this Comp can be an unwelcome distraction.

Predicted us to.lose 2-1 but predicted us to win 2-1 Sat with full side and all guns blazing.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #394: Sep 27, 2018 07:28:52 am

Officials are so f**king incompetent that they don't even decide right using the f**king VAR. F***ing embarrassing.

I’m fairly certain Firmino was just about playing him onside or was level with Barkley. If it was the other way around I would have been pissed has the goal been overturned.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #395: Sep 27, 2018 07:46:07 am
      I’m fairly certain Firmino was just about playing him onside or was level with Barkley. If it was the other way around I would have been pissed has the goal been overturned.

The arm doesn’t count as playing someone onside.
      Has to be the torso or legs.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #396: Sep 27, 2018 07:48:56 am
      It just doesn't make sense to me. Even if the league and Europe are our priority it doesn't mean we should just rubbish off other competitions.

I always see reds say 'it doesn't matter, let's just focus on the league'.  Well what if we go to Chelsea on Saturday and get beat? What then? Out of a cup competition and probably drop down to third in the league. It wouldn't be a good week would it.

This early in a season I don't think we had to throw a game to focus on other competitions. I think we could have played a stronger side. If we had stayed in this competition for longer then we have more options and depending how the season pans out we could throw it at a later time if we had too.

Poor result and a poor performance tonight. I'll never be happy about that and I'll never understand why any red would be.

If somebody said to me you'll get knocked out in the league cup straight away but it means you'll win the league then obviously I would take it. But we haven't won the league for 30 years and participating in the league cup isn't the reason.

I'm not happy about going out. I think, as it's the first comp you can go out of and as it's relatively early in the season, a lot of us are still very hopeful of doing well in other things as we have every other competition to look forward to. The rest of the season's hopes numb it. If we won last night and then won again in the next round then everybody's natural reaction to going out changes. Mine would, anyway.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #397: Sep 27, 2018 07:57:44 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      Shaqiri will still get plenty of minutes because it's important that we keep our front three fresh throughout the season, and it's so good that we have a fourth player to come in who looks every bit as good as them to be honest.

He's impressed me shaqiri. I was worried about his attitude and his work rate but he's turned up here looking like he has something to prove. The klopp effect.

Good to see you're impressed with him, especially when it's not that long ago when you said you would be "devastated" if we lost Fekir and bought Shaqiri instead.

Very disappointing to go out at home after taking the lead, and bossing the game. I couldn't see them scoring until they did tbh. But when they did, it was the usual scenario of when one goal goes in, more soon follow. It's over 6 years since we last beat them at home. By the time they return here on the 30th Anniversary weekend, we should know if this result made any difference or not.
      « Last Edit: Sep 27, 2018 08:04:16 am by lfc across the water »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #398: Sep 27, 2018 08:08:10 am

Have you seen Firminos arm...
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Reply #399: Sep 27, 2018 08:10:10 am

on its own that doesnt mean anything, not unless this is how they stood when the free was struck, and that should be in an accompanying synchronised frame.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #400: Sep 27, 2018 08:12:58 am

You can’t use your arm to play the ball so can’t count - has to be any part of head, body or legs.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #401: Sep 27, 2018 08:17:04 am
      I saw that too, probably for being selfish imo

or was telling him not to fall down so easy in 16m box, as if he staid on his feet he would have nice chance for a goal. That was only thing that he did wrong last night that i remember.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #402: Sep 27, 2018 08:21:46 am
      Wasnt happy with the starting line up but with three big games coming up I suppose we had no other choice than to make some changes.

The first half an hour I thought we were dreadful. Chelsea completely bossed us off the pitch and if they had a proper centre forward then we'd have been a goal or two down. Towards the end of the half we started to get a grip of things though and we probably went into break the better team.

Second half starts and we've gone up a few gears and deservedly take the lead. A great finish by Danny after he missed an open goal just moments earlier.

We seemed to be in control from then on but if you don't get a second goal then you're always in danger of not seeing the game out and that's what happened. Chelsea got a free kick which shouldn't have been a free kick and then they score from it where they had 2 or 3 players in offside positions and just like that it's 1-1.

It's anyone's game now and all it needs is a match winner. Somebody who will create or score a goal from nothing. Unfortunately for us, that man was hazard. And we lose 2-1.

Mignolet.  For me his time here was up two years ago and anybody who was looking forward to seeing him tonight have incredibly short memories in my opinion. That said, I don't blame him for either goal and he didn't do anything wrong. This should be Simons last game in a Liverpool shirt now.

Clyne. Same old same old. Defensively he is quite sound, he always has been. But my god he is dreadful at going forward and now you realise just how good young Trent is.

Matip. I thought matip played well tonight and was the better of the two centre halves.

Lovren. Didn't really notice him.

Moreno. When you get skinned half a dozen or so times by Victor f**king Moses in the same match then it's time to call it a day. He isn't good enough, even as backup.

Fabinho. I thought he was very poor. He looked off the pace and it's no wonder he hasn't been getting any minutes. Plenty of running but he got nowhere near their men. His mobility looked poor. I also thought he was poor on the ball too. But look, it's his full debut tonight in a new country, it's going to take time.

Milner. After an explosive start to the season I thought he was a passenger tonight. Wasn't involved. Poor on the ball too, deliveries were crap.

Keita. By far the best out the midfield three. He should start every single game for me.

Shaqiri. Our best player by some way. Thought he had an excellent game. I wasn't that bothered when we signed shaqiri to be honest because I'd have preferred to have fekir who plays in a slightly different position, but I've come to realise shaqiri will be a big player for us this season and will be very useful.

Mane. He also had a good game. I won't forgive him for missing that chance in the second half though because he cost me 4 grand! I had £20 on six players to score tonight. Five of them did and the only one who didn't was sadio! Apart from that, he was fine ;D.

Sturridge. To be honest he wasn't involved for most of the game. He was good on the ball on some occasions, some nice hold up or possession play but he wasn't really posing that much of a threat. Missed an open goal but like any good striker bounces back and he scored a great goal just minutes later. He made it look very easy but it wasn't, he controlled it extremely well. He also smashed the bar with a great effort too. It's boss to see him score again but he does look like he's just lost a yard of pace to me now. Not making runs in behind etc. But his quality is still there.

To summarise, i won't lose any sleep over this loss but im still disappointed obviously. Moreno isn't good enough to play for this club again, Fabinho needs far more time bedding in, shaqiri is boss. That's about it.

We move on. Let's put this right and beat this gang of shithouses down at their place.

Good assessment thought Keita was a bit invisible at times but right he was best of three
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #403: Sep 27, 2018 08:23:16 am
      You can’t use your arm to play the ball so can’t count - has to be any part of head, body or legs.

I thought they changed that. Can’t keep up with offside rules anymore
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #404: Sep 27, 2018 08:56:26 am
      Yep, I was, and Ive mentioned it above.

Regardless of what team we played tonight or who the opposition was, I'll never be 'delighted' at seeing Liverpool exit a cup competition nor would I say 'f**k the league cup'.

Some of my best memories supporting Liverpool have been in Cardiff or at Wembley winning this cup competition that other reds are saying 'f**k it'. If we had got to Wembley again this season then I'd have been down there again, too.

If you don't care for this competition then don't watch us play in it or comment on it then. Some of us do care.

That post is spot on,we should aspire to winning every cup and competition we enter.I am old enough to remember us winning the Liverpool Senior Cup and the Lancashire Senior Cup and got great delight when we beat Everton in one of those Finals.Success brings success when we win any cup.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,220 posts | 2802 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #405: Sep 27, 2018 09:01:45 am

The offside isdue seems to be detracting from the fact it wasnt even a free
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #406: Sep 27, 2018 09:04:58 am
      Good to see you're impressed with him, especially when it's not that long ago when you said you would be "devastated" if we lost Fekir and bought Shaqiri instead.

Very disappointing to go out at home after taking the lead, and bossing the game. I couldn't see them scoring until they did tbh. But when they did, it was the usual scenario of when one goal goes in, more soon follow. It's over 6 years since we last beat them at home. By the time they return here on the 30th Anniversary weekend, we should know if this result made any difference or not.

My mind still won't change on that. Fekir walks into our first 11. Shaqiri doesn't and he actually never will. They also play different positions and in my opinion, we need a fekir more than we do a Shaqiri. If you offered me fekir over shaqiri I'd snap your hand off.

I said in the summer that I think we will have games where we lack that spark from midfield and I still stand by that. Time will tell.

As I say though he's impressed me so far. He looks hungry and he obviously has quality too. I don't like the idea of him playing in the midfield three like some have suggested but I do think he will be an important, and useful, player for us this season.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #407: Sep 27, 2018 09:29:13 am
      Yep, I was, and Ive mentioned it above.

Regardless of what team we played tonight or who the opposition was, I'll never be 'delighted' at seeing Liverpool exit a cup competition nor would I say 'f**k the league cup'.

Some of my best memories supporting Liverpool have been in Cardiff or at Wembley winning this cup competition that other reds are saying 'f**k it'. If we had got to Wembley again this season then I'd have been down there again, too.

If you don't care for this competition then don't watch us play in it or comment on it then. Some of us do care.

Of course its sh*t to lose any match, but if Klopp really was that bothered about this game then he would have fielded a stronger team, as for Chelsea they really seemed keen on this and fielded a much stronger team, I wonder if that might harm them a bit on Saturday, but probably not. One thing I noticed with Chelsea is that pretty much their only threat is Hazard, if you take him out of the game then they are much weaker.
      As soon as this draw was made pitting us yet again against Prem opposition in the 1st round then I thought it would be tricky unless the other team also fielded a weak team, which they didn't.
      In summary it sucks to be out but the silver lining is that gives our lads that little bit more rest than Chelsea and Citeh will have and that could be crucial.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #408: Sep 27, 2018 09:32:36 am
      It was not a bad game except for Morena and  Fabinho IMO. We could have won, we were unlecky on the free kick andthat we faced Hazard at the form of his life. Unluckily, none of our strikers have reached their top form yet but Shaqiri, Keita, Hendo and evern Sturridge were good. Generally I really hate to lose but I just can't blame anyone here. Unlucky to face Hazard.

Sorry but how can you say that someone who missed an open goal was good, not only that he missed several more half chances, Sturridge was ok but very rusty.
      We lost to an off side goal and a wonder goal from Hazard who we now know will be the main threat on Saturday, we got a damned good luck at them without giving them the same benefit. We will be a completely different beast come Saturday and I fancy us to extract revenge.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #409: Sep 27, 2018 09:36:33 am
      I thought they changed that. Can’t keep up with offside rules anymore

I can't keep up with the handball rule, Milner gets a handball decision against him last season for a ball flying up into his arm whilst Fabregas juggles with the ball yesterday and its ok, that was bizarre.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 523 
      Reply #410: Sep 27, 2018 10:12:55 am
      Did not deserve to lose that. They were good for half an hour, then it was all us for the rest of the match. I thought we played very well from the half hour mark on - just a bit wasteful+unlucky up front, and then paid for having changed the back 4. Specifically the left back. Jürgen didn't have much choice though, gotta rest Robbo sometimes. From now on, though, I'd be looking to use Clyne ( who had a very good game - contrast how little joy the Chavs got down his flank compared with the runaround first Moses then Hazard gave Alberto M.) as cover for Robbo as well as for Trent ( ie don't rest both those 2 at the same time, if possible).

Shaqiri MOTM.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,607 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #411: Sep 27, 2018 10:26:11 am
      Why do we have man of the match when we lose? I want to vote for loser of the match.

Because players can still have outperformed others, obviously.
      Continuous negative posting on your behalf will lead to warnings from this point on. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #412: Sep 27, 2018 10:37:19 am
      Of course its sh*t to lose any match, but if Klopp really was that bothered about this game then he would have fielded a stronger team, as for Chelsea they really seemed keen on this and fielded a much stronger team, I wonder if that might harm them a bit on Saturday, but probably not. One thing I noticed with Chelsea is that pretty much their only threat is Hazard, if you take him out of the game then they are much weaker.
      As soon as this draw was made pitting us yet again against Prem opposition in the 1st round then I thought it would be tricky unless the other team also fielded a weak team, which they didn't.
      In summary it sucks to be out but the silver lining is that gives our lads that little bit more rest than Chelsea and Citeh will have and that could be crucial.

I think the league cup was a great opportunity for klopp to land his first piece of silverware. 

We should have gone with a much stronger line up and stayed in the competition for as long as possible. Then, in a month or two depending on other results in other competitions, we can have a look at where we're at and sort our prioritys out then. Silly doing it now only half a dozen or so games into the season.

If we go to Chelsea on Saturday and we look fresh and we get the points then this game will quickly be forgotten about. But if we don't, and we get beat, then resting players last night will only look stupid and it'll be a terrible week for us.

No other result other than a win is acceptable for me now on Saturday.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #413: Sep 27, 2018 11:18:47 am
      i wonder how many of the people saying they 'dont care about tonight' will then also be saying in may, 'we havent won anything in years' if we dont win something this season...
      Good point. I was one of them who said 'I don't care', and didn't even watch the match because - I don't care about the Carabao Cup.

That said, it would be nice to have some silverware at season's end, but if you ask me which competition I want to go out of first, it would be the league cup all day long. Especially as not even managers take it seriously until around the quarters.

I guess what I'm saying is, getting knocked out of the Carabao Cup hurts less than anything else.

Quick Reply