Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (3.6%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      9 (10.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      10 (11.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      57 (67.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Sep 30, 2018 09:38:24 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21790 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Sep 27, 2018 11:28:26 am
      Does anyone have a vid clip for the Klopp/Shaq dust up?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #415: Sep 27, 2018 11:44:40 am
      It just doesn't make sense to me. Even if the league and Europe are our priority it doesn't mean we should just rubbish off other competitions.

I always see reds say 'it doesn't matter, let's just focus on the league'.  Well what if we go to Chelsea on Saturday and get beat? What then? Out of a cup competition and probably drop down to third in the league. It wouldn't be a good week would it.

This early in a season I don't think we had to throw a game to focus on other competitions. I think we could have played a stronger side. If we had stayed in this competition for longer then we have more options and depending how the season pans out we could throw it at a later time if we had too.

Poor result and a poor performance tonight. I'll never be happy about that and I'll never understand why any red would be.

If somebody said to me you'll get knocked out in the league cup straight away but it means you'll win the league then obviously I would take it. But we haven't won the league for 30 years and participating in the league cup isn't the reason.

It works both ways, could have gone full strength last night and then lost at the weekend and then everyone would be saying we should have rested players last night. In truth both sides put out B Teams with the odd exception and then put out A team players later in the match. It's the way that every single top 6 side approaches the competition in fact it's true of pretty much the entire EPL. It's just the way the competition is viewed now. I remember as far back as Rafa's first season when we reached the final, it was players like Pongolle and La Tellec who were playing the earlier rounds in the competition. I don't agree with Reds who say 'he ho, it's better were out of the comp to focus on the league' but that I think is a measure of how the League Cup is viewed these days, the fact they have now scrapped extra-time all together further downgrades it. We've won it more than any other club so to go out in the first round for 3 consecutive years is disappointing but the truth is, if we win at the weekend it'll be forgotten pretty quickly (rightly or wrongly). 
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #416: Sep 27, 2018 11:49:04 am
      As soon as this draw was made pitting us yet again against Prem opposition in the 1st round then I thought it would be tricky unless the other team also fielded a weak team, which they didn't.

They still rotated quite a bit. No Jorginho, Kante, Luiz, Rudiger, Giroud (who started the last couple of EPL games) or Kepa in their starting line-up.

I'm not sure their line-up (in terms of rotated players) was all that different to our own tbh. We played Mane, Milner, Keita and Matip who have all started EPL games this season.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #417: Sep 27, 2018 11:52:28 am
      I still feel miss a player maker in midfield that control game, we seem not be able keep ball same as city or Chelsea do at times, even when first 11 playing we give ball away easyer then city or Chelsea maybe that high pressing game
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #418: Sep 27, 2018 11:57:51 am
      It 12 years since we won anything, pressure will be on if we don't win on Saturday and if we don't win anything these year with amount money spent then not sure if we ever will win league in my life time
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #419: Sep 27, 2018 12:13:22 pm
      They still rotated quite a bit. No Jorginho, Kante, Luiz, Rudiger, Giroud (who started the last couple of EPL games) or Kepa in their starting line-up.

I'm not sure their line-up (in terms of rotated players) was all that different to our own tbh. We played Mane, Milner, Keita and Matip who have all started EPL games this season.

We certainly had enough out there, and both teams rotated pretty much the same. However, a couple of our familiar names were coming back into the team for their 1st time, one or two back from injury, and the biggest difference... was on 56 minutes they introduced Hazard.

That's obviously most of a half of football. Our comparative (star player) is Salah, but even he is not on form at the moment. Hazard is. But Salah got barely 5 minutes.. so.. small differences. Moments before Hazard, Sturridge's dipping effort hit the bar. So frustrating!  :-[
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #420: Sep 27, 2018 12:17:37 pm
      Best team lost.

sh*t happens.

Rather it was in the worthless cup than the league.

We will have our revenge Saturday in a competition that matters.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #421: Sep 27, 2018 12:17:46 pm
      Stayed away from here last night because of the obvious negativity because we lost and in some respects rightly so.
      If we win on Saturday then Jürgen will be a genius if we get beat he will be an idiot for fielding a weaker side last night.
      We should have won last night but it wasn't to be and Moreno is proving the odd man out as he still isn't improving under Klopp he must be the only player not to have improved.
      Roll on Saturday.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #422: Sep 27, 2018 12:19:21 pm
      We had our chances and didn't take them.
      That's all that needs to be said really.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #423: Sep 27, 2018 12:31:33 pm
      Bugs me how people dismiss the defeat because its the league cup.

Its a 1 in 4 chance of a trophy something we have not held since 2012 for God sake.

League and champions league are huge asks to win and the FA cup can be a lottery. Yet some seem happy that a chance of a cup is gone.

ok its a rest day on maybe 3 or weekights but those fixtures could be used for game time for fringe players. Id gladly accept the league cup trophy. Ive waited too long to see a Liverpool captain pick one up

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #424: Sep 27, 2018 12:47:07 pm
      It works both ways, could have gone full strength last night and then lost at the weekend and then everyone would be saying we should have rested players last night. In truth both sides put out B Teams with the odd exception and then put out A team players later in the match. It's the way that every single top 6 side approaches the competition in fact it's true of pretty much the entire EPL. It's just the way the competition is viewed now. I remember as far back as Rafa's first season when we reached the final, it was players like Pongolle and La Tellec who were playing the earlier rounds in the competition. I don't agree with Reds who say 'he ho, it's better were out of the comp to focus on the league' but that I think is a measure of how the League Cup is viewed these days, the fact they have now scrapped extra-time all together further downgrades it. We've won it more than any other club so to go out in the first round for 3 consecutive years is disappointing but the truth is, if we win at the weekend it'll be forgotten pretty quickly (rightly or wrongly).
      I think Klopp did the right thing, The team was a fairly strong team, Remember Victor Moses is a very good player, been proving it week in week out for Chelsea... Fab' is not up to speed yet, and we really did not take our chances... On another day against Chelsea Sturrigde could have had two and as a team we could have had three... Right call wrong result is all
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #425: Sep 27, 2018 12:49:53 pm
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #426: Sep 27, 2018 01:00:47 pm
      Stayed away from here last night because of the obvious negativity because we lost and in some respects rightly so.
      If we win on Saturday then Jürgen will be a genius if we get beat he will be an idiot for fielding a weaker side last night.
      We should have won last night but it wasn't to be and Moreno is proving the odd man out as he still isn't improving under Klopp he must be the only player not to have improved.
      Roll on Saturday.
      No Klopp would have been a genius if we beat them last night and Saturday  :f_tongueincheek:
      Klopp did the right thing last night given the up coming fixtures... Chelsea 29th Prem'... Napoli 3rd CL, and City the 7th Prem'

As said by many here we just failed to take the chances we had... Once DS went around the keeper you would have bet your house on him hitting the net... I am betting at 2-0 up Chelsea does not risk Hazard or Luis but instead looks instead towards Saturday...
      Right Call by Klopp wrong result
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #427: Sep 27, 2018 01:03:09 pm
      Does anyone have a vid clip for the Klopp/Shaq dust up?

No dust up..Klopp letting Shaq know that Salah was the better option for the ball to be played to as Salah was on his own and could have made a run into the box and either fired one off or could create a penalty via a last second tackle..Klopp was right,Salah was the better option..
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #428: Sep 27, 2018 01:12:41 pm
      No dust up..Klopp letting Shaq know that Salah was the better option for the ball to be played to as Salah was on his own and could have made a run into the box and either fired one off or could create a penalty via a last second tackle..Klopp was right,Salah was the better option..

Perhaps Klopp should have explained that to Henderson, who seemed intent on taking and doing one of his floaty free kicks.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #429: Sep 27, 2018 01:29:45 pm
      I think theres a pattern emerging. If our choice front three of Mo, Sadio and Bob dont start then opponents will think they can play high and boss us. Saw it at the end of last season and I most definitely saw it last night.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #430: Sep 27, 2018 01:42:51 pm
      Ah. Thanks Shabs

Seems the media have blown everything out of proportion. Again.

Typical.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #431: Sep 27, 2018 02:18:38 pm
      I think theres a pattern emerging. If our choice front three of Mo, Sadio and Bob dont start then opponents will think they can play high and boss us. Saw it at the end of last season and I most definitely saw it last night.

Definitely an element of that, without the pace of Salah and Mane to keep them honest it's easier to play high and press. Also factor in the back 4. VVD,Gomex, Robbo, TAA are all very comfortable on the ball. Our back 4 last night are a mixture of shaky to downright poor with the ball so it makes sense to press and force mistakes.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #432: Sep 27, 2018 02:46:46 pm

Yeah I know, I understand all that, but I'm saying this game was different because 1. It's early in the season and 2. It's Chelsea at home.

Chelsea at home will always be a big game no matter what competition it is. We had an opportunity to progress to the next round while knocking a rival out at the same time.

The quarter finals are usually mid December. The first semi is usually start of January. The second semi is usually end of January.  If we were still in the competition then but flying in both the league and Europe then maybe that would be the time to make some changes. But in September? In the first round we enter? No, not in my opinion.

It's like putting all your eggs in one basket. If we get beat on Saturday we're going to look a bit daft.  Even if we do beat Chelsea, I still don't buy into all this 'klopps a genius' nonsense that some are saying. It would be a massive three points but the league isn't won in September and we still have a long way to go.

It's all about this stage of the season and in my opinion we should have gone all out to make sure we're in the next round. It's January/February time where you can evaluate where you're at and start prioritising competitions.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #433: Sep 27, 2018 03:04:45 pm
      Yeah I know, I understand all that, but I'm saying this game was different because 1. It's early in the season and 2. It's Chelsea at home.

Chelsea at home will always be a big game no matter what competition it is. We had an opportunity to progress to the next round while knocking a rival out at the same time.

The quarter finals are usually mid December. The first semi is usually start of January. The second semi is usually end of January.  If we were still in the competition then but flying in both the league and Europe then maybe that would be the time to make some changes. But in September? In the first round we enter? No, not in my opinion.

It's like putting all your eggs in one basket. If we get beat on Saturday we're going to look a bit daft.  Even if we do beat Chelsea, I still don't buy into all this 'klopps a genius' nonsense that some are saying. It would be a massive three points but the league isn't won in September and we still have a long way to go.

It's all about this stage of the season and in my opinion we should have gone all out to make sure we're in the next round. It's January/February time where you can evaluate where you're at and start prioritising competitions.

To complain about rotation when we have such a tight schedule against big opponents is utterly ridiculous. In a span of 3 weeks we'll have played 7 games, including 2 CL games and PL games against top-4 teams in City, Chelsea and Spurs. We cannot go into those games having ran our top dogs into the ground because you fancy the league cup. Besides, what is the point of a squad if you're not going to use it? If you have quality depth you cannot let it rot on the bench until January / February when you think it would be a good time to evaluate.

I don't get how we're putting all our eggs in one basket. We played a strong lineup and the breaks just didn't go our way (missed chances, Chelsea goal that should not have been). Klopp was hardly punting on this one so your statement is just not true.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #434: Sep 27, 2018 03:06:09 pm

Yup, some people will just bi*ch no matter what.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #435: Sep 27, 2018 03:22:19 pm
      Yup, some people will just bi*ch no matter what.

Why did you bother watching the game then? Why are you commenting in this thread?

If it means F**k all to you then piss off and go elsewhere. You won't be missed.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #436: Sep 27, 2018 03:35:35 pm

As opposed to us missing Alisson, TAA, Robertson, Gomez, VVD, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Salah and Firminio, come on its fairly clear who rested more players, plus Hazard played most of the second half didn't he and Kante a good chunk of it.
      Anyway that's all in the past we got beat with our B team now lets smash them with our A team.

Quick Reply