Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson
      43 (35.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (1.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      18 (15%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      10 (8.3%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      41 (34.2%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: Oct 03, 2018 07:20:56 pm

Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26621 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Sep 29, 2018 08:44:14 pm
      Virtually all those chances they created themselves, where is the service?

how many goals and assists came from midfield last season when we got to the CL Final.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #461: Sep 29, 2018 08:45:21 pm
      Virtually all those chances they created themselves, where is the service?

what has that got to do with them missing very good chances this season
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #462: Sep 29, 2018 08:45:27 pm
      not if you talk the same as you post.
      Got to say I do like Chelsea's manager he is a bit like Jürgen in just talking as he sees it a welcome change from surly Portugese

I agree about Sarri, seems like a really cool guy and it obvious the Chelsea players like him and his philosophy.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #463: Sep 29, 2018 08:46:37 pm
      what has that got to do with them missing very good chances this season

You suggesting the midfield were good today?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #464: Sep 29, 2018 08:47:04 pm

I agree about Sarri, seems like a really cool guy and it obvious the Chelsea players like him and his philosophy.

it goes to show the likes of Maureen and Conteh managing the players with total control does not work anymore . Players have to enjoy coming to "work" or you end up getting beaten 3-1 at W.Ham
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #465: Sep 29, 2018 08:50:40 pm
      it goes to show the likes of Maureen and Conteh managing the players with total control does not work anymore . Players have to enjoy coming to "work" or you end up getting beaten 3-1 at W.Ham

That's true of any workplace
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #466: Sep 29, 2018 08:50:57 pm
      MOTM....Allison.
      Huge saves on breakaways. Kept Liverpool in the game

Incredibly entertaining contest with both squads leaving it all on the field.
      Fair result given the multiple missed opportunities by each team.
      Sturridge sure makes the most of his playing time. What a strike!

A gem of a game
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #467: Sep 29, 2018 08:51:08 pm

I think he out foxed Juergen today. A midfield 3 of Gini, Milly and Hendo are there to overload the middle of the park and do battle with a bit of rough and tumble. Chelsea tactics were to pass right through them, with the tete a tetes happening on our back line. We might aswell have gone with a midfield 2 and either a CAM or an extra Striker to try to peg them back.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #468: Sep 29, 2018 08:51:44 pm
      You suggesting the midfield were good today?

they did the job they are capable of. Not one of them could hold a candle to Alonso or Stevie but they are what we have . They are very similar players strong disciplined but not visionaries or goalscorers its why I don't get the Hendo thing he is being attacked for not being a player he never will be. Jürgen puts his wingbacks so highup the field you cant have anything but Henderson or Milner type players who will stay disciplined. When Ox got into his rhythm we had more goal scoring threat whilst the other two sat but he isn't available is he.

I am sure when Jürgen is happy with Kieta and Fabhino changes will take place but I doubt it will be Henderson making way.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #469: Sep 29, 2018 08:53:38 pm

Can you imagine getting up in the morning and having to go to work with Mourhino as your boss I would take a lot of sickies
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #470: Sep 29, 2018 08:54:53 pm
      Alisson 8 - Might have done better with their goal but boy did he keep us in it today. About 2 world class saves (at least)
      TAA 8.5 - Forget sometimes how young this lad is. He was immense out there and hardly put a foot wrong. My MotM
      VvD 8 - Poise, precision, presence and passing! Future LFC captain all day long. Alan Hansen likes this.
      Gomez 8 - Looks like he's been playing alongside VvD for years - and doesn't look out of place. Growing in stature with each passing game.
      Robertson 7.5 - Such a high work rate every single game. Tireless and has end product.

Wijnaldum 7.5 - Looks like a different player in his new role. Faded a bit second half but looks classy on the ball. Intelligent player who keeps things moving.
      Henderson 7 - Feel a bit sorry for him. I think he has orders about tidying up and keeping possession and not to go 'gung-ho'. Most teams have a 'Henderson' type player in their midfield.
      Milner 7 - Our problem is we have two Henderson type players in our midfield. Still, a solid display if not barnstorming.

Firmino 7.5 - Never stops running and closing down. Not his best today, but plays almost every minute every game for a reason.
      Mane 7 - Needs to look up a bit more and see the playing field around him.
      Salah 7 - Left his shooting boots in the dressing room but his movement and vision is not something you can teach a player. I think he's putting too much pressure on himself.

Shaq 6 - Not many chances to shine but was willing and got stuck in
      Studge 8 - Wow!
      Keita 8 - What an impact! Going forward and tracking back.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #471: Sep 29, 2018 08:59:52 pm
      Quote from waltonl4
      I would love to put you in front of Jürgen and let you say that to him he would rip you a new arsehole. you may need that explaining

Don't get too upset by it. The usual suspects were 2 minutes away from posting up the usual player obituaries. Instead they have to be saved as a draft for another day, and the posters have to save face after the game.

Deserved at least a point, should have won it. We had enough chances to win 2 or 3 games, but the ball just wouldn't go in. Disappointed to lose the 100% record, but if it's away to Chelsea and still unbeaten, it's not that bad. When you need something with 2 minutes to go, you'll take anything.

Anyway, time to dish the annual beating out next week. The front 3 will have a field day upfront, they just have to take the chances when they come along.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #472: Sep 29, 2018 09:01:27 pm
      Thank you Daniel for that bolt from the red!

Allison kept us in it and we kept in the game.

Important point but we need our fab 3 to click soon if we are to maintain a challenge.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #473: Sep 29, 2018 09:01:42 pm
      How good was Wijnaldum again? The way he protects the ball with his body when we receives it is unreal. Hardly looses the ball.

He was excellent
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #474: Sep 29, 2018 09:01:48 pm
      they did the job they are capable of. Not one of them could hold a candle to Alonso or Stevie but they are what we have . They are very similar players strong disciplined but not visionaries or goalscorers its why I don't get the Hendo thing he is being attacked for not being a player he never will be. Jürgen puts his wingbacks so highup the field you cant have anything but Henderson or Milner type players who will stay disciplined. When Ox got into his rhythm we had more goal scoring threat whilst the other two sat but he isn't available is he.

I am sure when Jürgen is happy with Kieta and Fabhino changes will take place but I doubt it will be Henderson making way.

Henderson is not bashed well I hope not, for not scoring goals, it's his lack of ability on the ball.

He finds it difficult turning when facing his own goal, hence the ball will go back to the player he receives it from.
      He is way too conservative from the hub of the midfield in releasing our pace merchants, he too often passes on responsibility to one of the CB's to make the pass.

We will see once Fab and Keita are up to speed how regularly Henderson starts.

Jürgen didn't buy players like those two with a higher quality of technical ability to sit on the bench, he us taking our midfield to the next level.
      Henderson has a role to play but i believe going forward he won't be a automatic starter.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #475: Sep 29, 2018 09:03:57 pm
      I think he out foxed Juergen today. A midfield 3 of Gini, Milly and Hendo are there to overload the middle of the park and do battle with a bit of rough and tumble. Chelsea tactics were to pass right through them, with the tete a tetes happening on our back line. We might aswell have gone with a midfield 2 and either a CAM or an extra Striker to try to peg them back.

Struggling to see how he 'outfoxed' Jürgen given that we outdid their defence more times that they did.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #476: Sep 29, 2018 09:15:00 pm
      Struggling to see how he 'outfoxed' Jürgen given that we outdid their defence more times that they did.

Absolutely. We were by far the better side. They were restricted to hitting us on the break. We were off in the final 3rd. Outfoxed my arse
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #477: Sep 29, 2018 09:33:07 pm
      Another frustrating (but entertaining) result. Game had good chances for both sides but we are so wasteful this year, either from poor finishing or selfishness. It really needs to stop. Salah is still getting himself in good positions with his pace and footwork but where he's going to shoot is very predictable so either the goalie is ready for it or he shanks it to the stands like he did early in the 1st half. Unlucky to have that cleared off the line by Rudiger but overall he really needs to step it up.

We saw the risk-reward with Arnold. Fantastic going forward but prone to the young kid mistakes at the back and Chelsea made us pay for it. Alisson should have done better on the goal but he had couple other great saves.

Chelsea is a good team this year and the addition of Kovacic and Jorginho really does give them a great midfield but overall we contained them pretty well and broke through their D more than they did through ours.

My main man Sturridge. What a goal. The guy has so much talent and he is finally able to stay healthy. Has been huge this year in limited time, long may it continue.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Live: Chelsea V Liverpool
      Reply #478: Sep 29, 2018 09:36:34 pm
      So Studge is expected to change the game in 4 mins 😳
      ;D
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #479: Sep 29, 2018 09:37:10 pm
      I don't want to slate the lad, but it's always seemed to me that he's a bit of a lazy, soft f**ker.

Is it just coincidence that he's fit and producing the goods in the last year of his contract?
      I'd hate to think so, but the cynic inside me can't help but wonder.

Putting that aside, it was a genuinely world class strike, an absolute f**king beauty.

This is a poor attempt at humor, yes? So does his body decide when to break down based on contract statuses or was he clever enough all these years to fool the entire team, including the medical team, into thinking he's hurt? JFC
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #480: Sep 29, 2018 09:46:06 pm
      MOTM has to be Becker. Well, he just won us 1 point today and I'm sure there'll be more to come. If it had been Mig or karius we would have lost the game today. Well done Alisson. Studge world class strike is something very special too. MU loosing today, seems to be a fairly good weekend. Let's prepare for the game against City.

Good saves and all, for Alisson to reach "world class" level he needs to start putting toes and finger nails in big moments and keep those shots out. Some goals you're just not going to stop, but goals like Lamela's a couple weeks ago and Hazard's today he needs to keep out. They were big games and big moments where a De Gea or Courtois find a way to keep them out. Overall he has been very solid as expected, but we'll likely need more than solid to win the league. 
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #481: Sep 29, 2018 09:53:40 pm
      What a goal from Sturridge. He is a real asset and if he stays fit, we may finally have the quality depth up front we have been craving.

Forcing his way into the team on current form, but I would take it easy with him given his injury record.

On another note it hit me today how hard this league is to win. We have won 6 and drawn1 game of our opening 7 and we aren’t top of the league. That’s absolutely mental, the consistency required to win the premier league is insane but we look a good bet for it if we can get our front 3 firing again.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #482: Sep 29, 2018 09:53:44 pm
      How good was Wijnaldum again? The way he protects the ball with his body when we receives it is unreal. Hardly looses the ball.

Yeah, but he doesn't get anything going, he's an horizontal player, and our problem is we have 3 of that kind in the midfield. Plug in Keita or Shaq and we'd look deadlier.

Quick Reply