Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Your memories of 2010/11

Read 4600 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Your memories of 2010/11
      Oct 01, 2018 07:28:34 pm
      Were enjoying a great period of football at the minute. Hopefully were rewarded for our football by ending our 6 year drought.

Talking today about it being 2012 since our last trophy and the talk of 2010/11 came up. The Hodgson era. I honestly must gave erased it from my memory as I dont recall too much of that season.

Anybody willing to remember that season and throw in any positives if there was any. Worst thing that will come from this is being greatful for what we have now
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Re: Your memories of 2010/11
      Reply #1: Oct 01, 2018 07:35:16 pm
      Jesus was just looking up previous games v Napoli....2010 in Europa league our only mestings
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2: Oct 01, 2018 07:45:31 pm
      Blackpool & singing "Hodgson for England"
      Gutted when Joe Cole scored the equaliser v Bolton on New Years day
      Disappointed listening to loads being sucked in by the "Mascherano cried off v Man City" shouts even though it was F***ing apparent he been pulled by the Snake in Cuban Heels as Purslow was bricking it that he didn't get injured, knowing we needed the money off Barca to pay the money back that was servicing the loan taken out by the two cowboys.
      Hodgson's comments after the manc game where he basically let Ferguson call Torres a cheat and wouldn't even say F**k all about the behaviour out of Nani.
      Hodgson's comments after the derby battering at Goodison, when he thought we played our best football of the season!!

King Kenny returning at Old Trafford
      Suarez
      Suarez tearing the arse out of the mancs, Dirk Kuyt's hattrick and the Kop singing "Happy Birthday" to King Kenny
      Meireles scoring the winner at Stamford Bridge
      Agger twatting Torres at Stamford Bridge
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2018 08:28:36 pm by HUYTON RED »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #3: Oct 01, 2018 08:20:27 pm
      Dreadful season...
      Joe Cole getting sent off at Anfield on his home debut, then missing a penalty in the Europa qualifier a few days later.
      Another cockney arrived on deadline day in the form of Paul Konchesky.
      We signed that massive greek donkey Kyrgiakos..
      Going through the whole month of September without a league win.
      Being in the relegation zone early October.
      Getting knocked out of the League Cup by f***in Northampton Town at Anfield on pens.
      Half full crowds at Anfield for the league games.
      Getting knocked out of the FA cup at the Old Toilet and Gerrard getting a straight red and Berbatov going down like a sack of spuds after Aggers tackle in the box after 3 minutes.
      Torres going to Chelsea and Andy Carroll coming in at 11pm on deadline day.
      Massive kick off on the pitch in the 3-0 win against the scum after Carragher nearly snapped Nani's leg in half..

All in all a pretty sh*t season in the history of this club if you ask me

The only shining lights for me during the whole season was Kenny taking over from cauliflour Hodgson and the signing of a certain Luis Suarez for 22.5m.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4: Oct 01, 2018 08:26:27 pm
      Tough days those..

Only positive Kenny getting the call whilst on a cruise ship..
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Oct 01, 2018 08:35:57 pm
      Tough days those..

Only positive Kenny getting the call whilst on a cruise ship..

Its funny but I associate Kenny coming back as a different season to the Hodgson one. Funny how the mind works.

Paul Konchesky my God
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #6: Oct 01, 2018 08:36:45 pm
      Try not to think too much about that season but Hodgson thinking Northampton Town would be a formidable challenge always springs to mind.

My main memory is Kenny back at Old Trafford.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Oct 01, 2018 09:01:34 pm
      Those days were very dark indeed. There was palpable relief when I got a text from my brother confirming that FSG had been successful in taking ownership of the club and thus putting to an end the threat of administration and the horrific ownership of Hicks & Gillett. The defeats in and around that time were the worst I've experienced. HR mentioned Blackpool at home - just awful.

But the one that really hurt was Man City away. We got absolutely hammered 3-0 in what was only Hodgson's second Premier League game in charge and it properly confirmed Liverpool's status as a second rate Premier League side wholly incapable of challenging for the top 4 let alone getting there. Hodgson's incessant dim witterings only made things worse and the defeat to Northampton was comical - peak Hodgson really. And then there was that surrender to Everton away. 2-0. But according to Hodgson it was our 'best performance of the season'. At the time I was quite sympathetic towards him but as time has moved on you realise just how bonkers that all was and just how hard Hodgson worked to normalise the mediocrity, something that you feel was the ambition (or lack of) from those who hired him - Purslow et al.

So yeah, absolutely dire for the first half of the season but Kenny's return was a wonderful experience especially for those too young to have experienced the days when he was front, centre and back of all that was Liverpool. You knew instantly that this was a man who restored values that had gone astray in the months and even years prior. He definitely brought back a sense of pride and dignity, something that I hadn't felt with Liverpool for a long time. Loved the comprehensive defeat we handed out to Man Utd. Fulham away towards the end of the season was a particularly madcap highlight as well. Winning at Stamford Bridge with the Meireles winner was sweet as well. And who could forget us battering Man City at Anfield with little Jay Spearing single handedly tearing down the might of Yaya Toure? It may have been a false dawn in hindsight but f**king hell that was fun!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Oct 01, 2018 09:10:46 pm
      I remember when we signed Konchesky and a mate of mine said "things are so bad that I'm working hard to convince myself that Konchesky will somehow shut us all up and be a great signing". Didn't work, mind.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #9: Oct 01, 2018 09:15:05 pm
      Spearing Poulsen Koncheskey NGog  the Greek centre half cant recall his name. Jocanovic was he this season?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #10: Oct 01, 2018 09:15:24 pm
      Signing Suarez. I knew he would be amazing.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Oct 01, 2018 09:19:40 pm
      Spearing Poulsen Koncheskey NGog  the Greek centre half cant recall his name. Jocanovic was he this season?

I think I was the only one to rate Spearing on the forums? Thought he showed enough potential to stick around during the Rodgers era, but it wasn't to be :( And my first post was questioning why we bought Carroll when we could have stuck with N'Gog or even play Kuyt up top!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #12: Oct 01, 2018 09:22:54 pm
      I think I was the only one to rate Spearing on the forums? Thought he showed enough potential to stick around during the Rodgers era, but it wasn't to be :( And my first post was questioning why we bought Carroll when we could have stuck with N'Gog or even play Kuyt up top!

Im not sure Jay was in anyway a bad player. Liked him actually..Would liked to have seen him in a better side see how hed have faired
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #13: Oct 01, 2018 09:25:11 pm
      Im not sure Jay was in anyway a bad player. Liked him actually..Would liked to have seen him in a better side see how hed have faired

Yeah, was actually a decent distributor, fit and very tenacious. Couple of more seasons and I think we would have had the Scouse version of Medel :D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Oct 01, 2018 10:00:06 pm
      F**k me this should carry  health warning when he who should not be named almost destroyed us. Thank God Kenny came back home.
      Dirk was top scorer with 15 how times have changed.
      I loved seeing Kenny back it was just perfect timing after a couple of horrible years at the club since the sellout
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: Oct 01, 2018 10:09:45 pm
      Try not to think too much about that season but Hodgson thinking Northampton Town would be a formidable challenge always springs to mind.

My main memory is Kenny back at Old Trafford.

Deliberately swerved signing up for the ACS that season as I could see what would happen. Even remember having a few arguments wit fellow mates who told me Hodgson would be a good manager for us. At least two of them apologised by the end of September!!
      That night against Northampton was a total embarrassment.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16: Oct 01, 2018 10:40:58 pm

https://twitter.com/livecholfc/status/1046699555910307840?s=21
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Oct 02, 2018 12:08:33 am
      Nightmare Days ...
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #18: Oct 02, 2018 12:41:44 am
      Torres starting off a decent run of games when KK came back. 

Then being a pr**k and forcing his move.

Me walking down the street to pick my son up from school (he was five at the time) and telling him that his favorite player had left to go to Chelsea.

He spent a few minutes when he got home to gather himself.  Then he brought out his Torres shirt and we used an Iron and a hair drier to get the letters off.

Then their was us battering Fulham at the Cottage.Maxi scoring.  Suarez in his first match (I think it was his first.)

Tale of two seasons really.  Brought down by the anchors that were a combination of Roy and Hicks and Gillette and then a spark ignited by Kenny.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #19: Oct 02, 2018 06:49:36 am
      Going to Anfield and seeing empty seats was a real pointer to where we had got to with Hodgson. Awful football awful signings. I was on the Everton game when he said after the game it was our best football of the season. That spelled the end for him, and then I was on Blackburn away. I have never been so cold and I have never seen such sh*t football. Dark days indeed.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #20: Oct 02, 2018 06:54:43 am
      Christian Purslow, Martin Broughton, H&G, The Owl, KONCHESKY!!! ... the Liverpool way : (
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Oct 02, 2018 11:55:51 am

He always gave 100% and was a tidy player.
      The problem was, he wasn't quite good enough in any area. It wasn't by much, and I certainly wouldn't describe him as a bad player, it's just the small margins at the top of elite sport.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #22: Oct 02, 2018 12:37:58 pm
      Pretty sure I've managed to erase Paul Konchesky's shiny bald head from my memories, thanks for the reminder...  :D

Quick Reply