Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson
      34 (39.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      40 (46.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (3.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (2.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2018 09:55:03 pm

Napoli 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27609 times
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Re: Napoli 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Oct 03, 2018 11:40:47 pm
      People not worry team look really slow and lack energy and mane need rest why boss play him in league cup l ever know, said few times reason city don't seem as tried because keep ball long time and have players control games, we need player maker and other cback and left back next summer and maybe other forward type winger in next transfer window
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #438: Oct 03, 2018 11:43:17 pm
      That's now three defeats in the last four CL games played, any cause for concern?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #439: Oct 03, 2018 11:45:25 pm
      Were absolutely crying out for a playmaker and Fekir would have been the ideal candidate.

Or Shaqiri :)
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #440: Oct 03, 2018 11:45:45 pm
      Really? If someone had offered you, to any of us before the season kicked off, you'll have two defeats in nine and win six of them, you'd have snatched their hand off.

Must you always be so positive Ireland?

Think the lad is right to be worried, was a wonder strike from Sturrigde which rescued a point on Saturday, but since that game we look like we are going backward...
      Not only is the strikers not firing but the midfield have folded as well... Does not look good, unless we come back with a vengeance against City
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #441: Oct 03, 2018 11:48:25 pm
      That's now three defeats in the last four CL games played, any cause for concern?

No not really.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #442: Oct 03, 2018 11:48:29 pm

What Roma away, the final without Mo and with Karius in goal and now Napoli away, no not really concerned as we showed our class already in the league and against PSG.
      It was a crap game where we were set up wrong and never clicked into gear, it happens.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #443: Oct 03, 2018 11:51:17 pm
      Said it before but the ox is a big miss, provided a good link between midfield and attack
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #444: Oct 03, 2018 11:56:20 pm
      Said it before but the ox is a big miss, provided a good link between midfield and attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oxF8ABYx0

Shaqiri is the closest to what Ox gave us, and where he offers less defensively, I have no doubt he is more creative.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #445: Oct 04, 2018 12:07:29 am

Think the lad is right to be worried, was a wonder strike from Sturrigde which rescued a point on Saturday, but since that game we look like we are going backward...
      Not only is the strikers not firing but the midfield have folded as well... Does not look good, unless we come back with a vengeance against City

I did say this earlier myself, however we cannot get away from the fact that this is a results based business and we've been getting the results in spite of the performances. Besides not all performances have been bad. We played very well against West Ham, PSG and Chelsea, not so well against the rest and, unfortunately, absolutely abject tonight. Nonetheless, we're still enjoying a fantastic start to the season so its important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of one defeat.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #446: Oct 04, 2018 12:08:37 am
      I also think this game along with the Chelsea game showed us we lack one playmaker in midfield. If we had Cuntinho we'd be settled, but that $%&% chose the warm weather. I say: Try out Keita and Shaq and if it doesn't work go for Fekir in January.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #447: Oct 04, 2018 12:13:00 am
      My observations are,

The pitch was shocking
      We were lacklustre and paid for it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #448: Oct 04, 2018 12:16:50 am
      I also think this game along with the Chelsea game showed us we lack one playmaker in midfield. If we had Cuntinho we'd be settled, but that $%&% chose the warm weather. I say: Try out Keita and Shaq and if it doesn't work go for Fekir in January.

It's not too bad with Keita there, but as mentioned before, he is more your CM than AMC, and he probably won't be as productive as your Coutinho, Fekir, Ox, Shaq's etc when played as the most offensive midfielder.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #449: Oct 04, 2018 12:53:11 am
      Jesus, I sure hope this time some users are right and I talk bs, but I just read that Keita was brought to hospital and there it occured it was heart problems that caused his problem. We talk about career ending in case that holds. Damn it.

It's in german but here it is: https://de.onefootball.com/schock-fuer-liverpool-keita-mit-herzproblemen-in-klinik/

wtf?! i just read Pearce say he should fly home tomorrow and isnt even out of the city game yet!!
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #450: Oct 04, 2018 01:10:54 am
      This was a game nightmares are made of;

* Dressed the first XI and lost
      * Keita hurt
      * Gave up another late goal and lost a valuable point

That last part is the most concerning. We have been unable to shut games down late since the Spurs game.

Spurs: Goal in 94th minute. Would have blown game if not for a lucky non-call
      PSG: Mbappe scores in 83rd minute blowing a 2-0 lead
      Chelsea (CC): Hazard scores in 85th minute to put Chelsea ahead
      Napoli: Insigne scores in 90th minute to win the game

We need to be much better at game management and shutting down the opposition late in the game. Right now it is a weakness of ours.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #451: Oct 04, 2018 02:30:15 am

Not seen the match but I can imagine if Keita got injured this would be a issue, not wanting to sound like a told you so I have been saying this with the Hendo, Milner, Gini midfield combo.

Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #452: Oct 04, 2018 03:33:17 am
      Very much off the pace and worst performance of the season so far.

But it has gone and I am sure there will be hard work over the next few days to get it right for Sunday.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #453: Oct 04, 2018 03:37:31 am
      I don't really know where to start after that. I feel sorry for the travelling reds because that performance was arguably our worst under Jürgen so far. Those type of performances have been extremely rare under klopp to be fair but Jesus Christ we were truly awful tonight. Really abysmal. I don't even remember us having a shot. Very unlike us.

I said in the pre match thread that if we lost tonight it wouldnt have been a disaster because of our win over PSG and Napolis draw in Belgrade. We could have made some changes and focused solely on city at the weekend which is a much bigger game.

We didn't do that and we fielded our strongest 11 instead. Thats absolutely fine but only if you get the bloody win and we didn't. I now feel klopp has made a massive mistake because we've already lost Keita through injury and I'm sure some of our other key players won't be 100% for the weekend after that game either. And for what? Nothing, that's what. I said there was no reason to risk anyone but we did...and we got caught out. Stupid in my opinion.

Theres little point talking about the game because we were bossed all over the pitch. There were only two players who came out with any credit tonight and that's Joe Gomez who for the majority of the match was immense I thought, and Alisson who continues to justify his transfer fee with another solid performance in goal.

The full backs and front three were all poor tonight but once again that midfield three of Henderson gini and Milner was just shocking. Dreadful all three of them. You need your midfield more than ever in these type of games but they didn't show up.

The result is disappointing but we can bounce back and recover from it and I'm sure we will. I've got to say though, there were a couple of warning signs for me regarding our performance.

Back in the summer I repeatedly said that we need to do three things to improve and win trophies. 1. Replace Lovren who is a liability. 2. Upgrade on Henderson. 3. Add real proper quality in the CAM position.

We've replaced Lovren with Gomez and we look a million times better at the back now. I can't see Lovren getting back into the team providing Gomez stays fit and keeps his form up. I've got no doubt at all that if Lovren had played every minute this season then he would have made at least one crucial error by now that would have led to a goal. So number 1 is completed.

Number 2 is currently in process. Henderson has been left out of some games this season and whenever he has we have looked far superior in my opinion. When he has played, we've not looked anywhere near as good. The balance isn't right and other players performances have been affected just to accommodate him. If Klopp takes him out of the side and plays either Wijnaldum or Fabinho then I've got no doubt we will perform better and pick up more wins. If klopp continues to play him then I feel we will lose games occasionally and drop points/exit competitions.

Number 3 didn't happen. Maybe we can mold shaqiri into a CAM but my preference would be to sign somebody in January if they're available. Similar to number 2, I feel not having a CAM could hurt us this season, especially in games like tonight where the front three are stinking the place out and just aren't firing. That's when you need a bit of quality or magic from the middle of the park and we just don't have it.

There is a long way to go obviously but numbed 2 and number 3 so concern me.

But anyway, we put this one behind us now, forget about it and we move on. We have city next and that game is a F***ing massive one. We cannot lose. The midfield three who played most of the game today will probably start and they really have to book their ideas up if we're going to get anything out of it. I'm expecting a massive reaction on Sunday from each and every one of them.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #454: Oct 04, 2018 03:49:11 am
      Poor performance from a lot of the player, been a while since I see this team go out and not get a shot on target. Attacking trio continue to look off though tonight they were really bad partly down to no support from the mid-field and partly from what we have seen all season just not clicking as a unit. Thought Gini had really poor showing, when Hendo came on I expect him to be pushing up being the guy to link the middle and attack but he was non-existent throughout the whole match.

Hoping for good news for Keita and Klopp can figure out how to get things going vs Citeh
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #455: Oct 04, 2018 07:41:58 am
      Our defensive and mid fielders let us down with silly passing that had no chance of making progress.It was too slow and predictable and Napoli were far too quick for us.Just got to hope we can fix the wrongs for the City game.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #456: Oct 04, 2018 08:04:31 am
      We were bound to have a dip in form at some point this season. But we need to pick it up quickly Sunday is a massive game for us and a win could go a long way in us winning the title.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #457: Oct 04, 2018 08:06:17 am
      This was a game nightmares are made of;

* Dressed the first XI and lost
      * Keita hurt
      * Gave up another late goal and lost a valuable point

That last part is the most concerning. We have been unable to shut games down late since the Spurs game.

Spurs: Goal in 94th minute. Would have blown game if not for a lucky non-call
      PSG: Mbappe scores in 83rd minute blowing a 2-0 lead
      Chelsea (CC): Hazard scores in 85th minute to put Chelsea ahead
      Napoli: Insigne scores in 90th minute to win the game

We need to be much better at game management and shutting down the opposition late in the game. Right now it is a weakness of ours.

I would agree with this. Klopp brought on Fabinho last night in recognition that we needed to shore things up but the problem for me is that we were still indulging in the idea of pressing the ball further up the pitch. That’s fine if it’s full blooded and committed but you end up with your front three trying to squeeze theircentre halves, it takes one or two triangle passes and they are past them and completely out of the game defensively. For me, Salah and Mane (and latterly Firmino) should be drooping in front of fullbacks and screening to make if a 5. It’s way to easy to get at our full backs in games like this because they have to deal with 2 on 1’s and we ship too much space. Sometimes you have to drop back as a whole team and be compact, tonight for the last 15 minutes was one of those times. You can still press the ball but do it in the middle third instead of half heartedly pressing in their final third and making it easy for them to advance the ball.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #458: Oct 04, 2018 08:09:26 am
      but our game management has DRAMATICALLY improved..... :lmao:
      But but but... if we had scored 5 we would have took all 3 points.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #459: Oct 04, 2018 08:10:39 am
      Still think we poor midfield just lot work horses not enough skill in midfield control game and give a killer pass l think keita will be good for us in long term,

Quick Reply