Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson
      34 (39.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      40 (46.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (3.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (2.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2018 09:55:03 pm

Napoli 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27474 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Napoli 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Oct 04, 2018 08:14:01 am
      Still think we poor midfield just lot work horses not enough skill in midfield control game and give a killer pass l think keita will be good for us in long term,

Fabinho, Keita and Ox will be our starting midfield next season.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #461: Oct 04, 2018 08:37:57 am
      Don't think any of us were expecting a performance like that !. :o
      I certainly didn't..
      Very frustrating to watch a whole game without even seeing us test their goalkeeper!
      Think we got our first and only corner after 66 minutes.
      Our two full backs were exposed time and time again down both wings and take nothing away from Napoli, Anchelotti had them hungry for the win and they fully deserved to take the 3 points.

At one point, an hour in, I was very nearly tempted to turn over and watch the Spuds/Barca game I was that annoyed :f_steam:

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #462: Oct 04, 2018 08:38:31 am
      I agree we do miss ox hopeful he come back same player, after his injury what about Jones he look good in preseason and he look like he could make it here next season in midfield
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #463: Oct 04, 2018 08:51:06 am
      Keita was taken to hospital as a precaution after suffering back pain, he will fly back with the team today and Klopp expects him to be fit for the next game.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #464: Oct 04, 2018 09:03:55 am
      Think it hurts more because that kind of performance has been a rarity under Jürgen. For me the worst part is how few positives there were from the performance. On Saturday if Sturridge hadn't scored and we'd have lost, there would have still been positives to take from the game; we dominated most of the possession away at Stamford Bridge and should have scored more. Last night there was nothing positive to take away and even if we had held out for what would have been a decent draw, it wouldn't have made up for the poor performance. In truth we deserved to lose.

We've now put extra pressure on ourselves going into the City match on Sunday. They're hard enough to play at the best of times, but now we go there having not won in three games.

That said with some of our underwhelming performances so far this season we were due a loss, and a win on Sunday suddenly changes the atmosphere again. Need to put last night behind us and seize back the momentum.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #465: Oct 04, 2018 09:11:35 am
      Seemingly beaten by a late goal again. Never looked like scoring tbh. Our attack has gone a bit flat lately, with Salah losing his goal scoring touch.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #466: Oct 04, 2018 09:56:32 am
      Let be honest midfield with Henderson milner and gini does not work three playing together
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #467: Oct 04, 2018 10:12:04 am
      I just think there was something very weird going on last night, I think the team set up and tactics were completely wrong, we were playing very passive the whole game, trying to do our version of park the bus and secure a draw but that is not in this teams DNA, we really should live by the adage attack is the best form of defence. I also think the pitch played a part plus the ref was a bit biased in their favour but at the end of the day it was just a totally crap performance from the team and management. As long as they learn from it no problem, but I am a bit more anxious about the match against Citeh, although they were fairly average themselves against Hoffenheim, only just scrambling a late win.

My bigger concern is the continuing bad form of Mo and Bobby.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #468: Oct 04, 2018 10:23:53 am
      Let be honest midfield with Henderson milner and gini does not work three playing together

Agreed.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #469: Oct 04, 2018 10:26:01 am
      I agree we do miss ox hopeful he come back same player, after his injury what about Jones he look good in preseason and he look like he could make it here next season in midfield

Good shout.

Possibly the reason we opted to end all our interest in Fekir is the emergence of Jones in pre season.

He could be a breakout player for us next season in the AM role.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #470: Oct 04, 2018 10:26:16 am
      Allan is some player. Would love to have him in our midfield.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #471: Oct 04, 2018 10:40:15 am
      Allan is some player. Would love to have him in our midfield.

I'm surprised he has no senior caps for Brazil.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,935 posts | 501 
      Reply #472: Oct 04, 2018 10:51:30 am
      Deservedly lost. We were sh*t going forward. Don't know if some of our players were subconsciously saving themselves for Sunday, but we had no intensity in our pressing and when that is the case we struggle to create anything.

Not everybody played badly . Gomez was immense. VVD and Alisson both good. I actually thought Mane played ok - he was our only attacker who really had any conviction, and was trying to take people on and work some space. But he always had 3 Napoli guys around him and was completely isolated. He still did enough to draw a lot of fouls out of them, but just had no support.

Ancelotti did a real job on us tactically. He kept Mane and Salah pinned down on the touchlines, and completely shut down our midfield in the 2nd half. Not sure why Salah in particular stayed so wide all the time. This time last year he was missing quite afew chances, but I knew he would score loads cos he made so many great runs, off the ball, in behind defences. This year he isn't making those runs, don't know why.

But our whole set up was wrong. If you play the wide men that wide, you have to have the whole team pushed higher. If you are sitting back like we did, the wingers need to go much narrower when we win the ball so they can play off Bobby and each other on the counter ( cos the full backs and midfielders are deeper).  Our wingers stayed too wide and so the front 3 were all miles apart and couldn't link up at all. Napoli defended very well I have to say, but we made it easier for them than it should have been.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #473: Oct 04, 2018 10:54:23 am
      Apparently only 12 of Hendo and Gini's 87 passes were forward last night. No wonder the front three didn't have any shots on target. You need ammo to fire.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #474: Oct 04, 2018 10:56:39 am
      Apparently only 12 of Hendo and Gini's 87 passes were forward last night. No wonder the front three didn't have any shots on target. You need ammo to fire.

As poor as the midfield was the one pure nugget Klopp gave last night was when he said they had an impossible job.........

Clearly he felt that the front 3 were wasteful and that distorted the whole shape.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #475: Oct 04, 2018 11:04:48 am
      If he clearly thought the front three were wasteful, he should have out Shaq and Studge on.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #476: Oct 04, 2018 11:08:36 am
      If he clearly thought the front three were wasteful, he should have out Shaq and Studge on.

Overall I agree re subs.

However I think Shaq was the one to potentially change the shape.

With Studge you’re really hoping for a moment of magic as he’s unlikely to contribute much in open play in a game like that. Worth having on there for 15 mins anyway though just for that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #477: Oct 04, 2018 11:28:51 am

Studge most definitely should have played a bigger part of the second half, would have given us a fresher edge to the front line.
      DanMann

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #478: Oct 04, 2018 12:11:39 pm
      Missed the 2nd half, but as it turns out, I missed nothing at all.

Despite his goal scoring record, it was surprising to see no starting place for Sturridge again, and then to throw him on with only minutes remaining. Firmino has done nothing to keep a place ahead of him. Yet, it's all too predictable. Firmino will start every time.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #479: Oct 04, 2018 12:15:24 pm
      I don't really know where to start after that. I feel sorry for the travelling reds because that performance was arguably our worst under Jürgen so far. Those type of performances have been extremely rare under klopp to be fair but Jesus Christ we were truly awful tonight. Really abysmal. I don't even remember us having a shot. Very unlike us.

I said in the pre match thread that if we lost tonight it wouldnt have been a disaster because of our win over PSG and Napolis draw in Belgrade. We could have made some changes and focused solely on city at the weekend which is a much bigger game.

We didn't do that and we fielded our strongest 11 instead. Thats absolutely fine but only if you get the bloody win and we didn't. I now feel klopp has made a massive mistake because we've already lost Keita through injury and I'm sure some of our other key players won't be 100% for the weekend after that game either. And for what? Nothing, that's what. I said there was no reason to risk anyone but we did...and we got caught out. Stupid in my opinion.

Theres little point talking about the game because we were bossed all over the pitch. There were only two players who came out with any credit tonight and that's Joe Gomez who for the majority of the match was immense I thought, and Alisson who continues to justify his transfer fee with another solid performance in goal.

The full backs and front three were all poor tonight but once again that midfield three of Henderson gini and Milner was just shocking. Dreadful all three of them. You need your midfield more than ever in these type of games but they didn't show up.

The result is disappointing but we can bounce back and recover from it and I'm sure we will. I've got to say though, there were a couple of warning signs for me regarding our performance.

Back in the summer I repeatedly said that we need to do three things to improve and win trophies. 1. Replace Lovren who is a liability. 2. Upgrade on Henderson. 3. Add real proper quality in the CAM position.

We've replaced Lovren with Gomez and we look a million times better at the back now. I can't see Lovren getting back into the team providing Gomez stays fit and keeps his form up. I've got no doubt at all that if Lovren had played every minute this season then he would have made at least one crucial error by now that would have led to a goal. So number 1 is completed.

Number 2 is currently in process. Henderson has been left out of some games this season and whenever he has we have looked far superior in my opinion. When he has played, we've not looked anywhere near as good. The balance isn't right and other players performances have been affected just to accommodate him. If Klopp takes him out of the side and plays either Wijnaldum or Fabinho then I've got no doubt we will perform better and pick up more wins. If klopp continues to play him then I feel we will lose games occasionally and drop points/exit competitions.

Number 3 didn't happen. Maybe we can mold shaqiri into a CAM but my preference would be to sign somebody in January if they're available. Similar to number 2, I feel not having a CAM could hurt us this season, especially in games like tonight where the front three are stinking the place out and just aren't firing. That's when you need a bit of quality or magic from the middle of the park and we just don't have it.

There is a long way to go obviously but numbed 2 and number 3 so concern me.

But anyway, we put this one behind us now, forget about it and we move on. We have city next and that game is a f**king massive one. We cannot lose. The midfield three who played most of the game today will probably start and they really have to book their ideas up if we're going to get anything out of it. I'm expecting a massive reaction on Sunday from each and every one of them.

Agree with most of your post H, we were sh*te that's the truth and yes you can count the 'sh*te' performances under Klopp in one hand,

As for playing a full strength side and getting beat, well that's just football as Jürgen often refers to, now had we made changes like you suggested we may have still lost and by a bit more and picked up a injury, so to me there isn't a lot of difference,
      The performance alone in fact  could be used as a kick up the arse for Sunday, I'm betting we won't play as bad again this season and definitely not against City,

We have back to back wins against RSB to look forward to, which in all honesty should take us into the knock out stages and possibly beyond...

I'm not so concerned about how we played but i do expect a reaction on Sunday, if anything I'll simply put it down to a bad day at the office and we very simply ...Go Again...

Any news on Naby ?

YNWA
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #480: Oct 04, 2018 12:16:25 pm
      In fairness I think we should be gracious enough to credit Ancelotti for his part in that. He got his tactics spot on. Klopp did not.

So, what fuuuuk did he do to turn us into Scum United?
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #481: Oct 04, 2018 12:51:40 pm
      So, what fuuuuk did he do to turn us into Scum United?

Dude, we had 1 sh*t game.   We are still sitting pretty in the league table, and still look well positioned to advance to the knockout stage of CL.  Calm the overreaction.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #482: Oct 04, 2018 12:59:07 pm
      Mad Italian bas**rds just read that Milik was mugged for his 20k Rolex in his way home from the match.

Quick Reply