Trending Topics

Next match: Huddersfield v LFC [Premier League] Sat 20th Oct @ 5:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Kirklees Stadium

Today is the 16th of October and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W12 D2 L5

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (07/10/18 - 16:30)

Read 2581 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,804 posts | 1605 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (07/10/18 - 16:30)
      Reply #150: Oct 07, 2018 01:51:04 pm
      It's looking like Studge is going to be an impact sub and in for early FA cup games. Does that mean that may be Klopp should've bought a top striker, making better use of the Fabinho money. Fab could be a great signing but as it is he looks like one to many midfielders. Also wasn't it predictable that Mo would never hit the heights of last season.

We look over reliant on Mo hitting somewhere near the form he hit last season.

Mo started off last season the same way before he really got going.
      Remember all the discussion about how many sitters he was missing?

I've no doubt he'll soon be scoring lots.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,083 posts | 953 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #151: Oct 07, 2018 01:51:50 pm
      Gut feeling....well be much better then Wednesday. We wont allow thsm space and time that most other teams do. For me 2 things will impact the result

. our team selection
      . performance of front 3

The city defence does nothing to worry me that we cant score. So on the basis that Bobby wiil show up and that Mane and Mo rise to the magnitude of the game we win...

I pray
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,302 posts | 665 
      • YNWA
      Reply #152: Oct 07, 2018 01:58:56 pm
      Does that mean that may be Klopp should've bought a top striker, making better use of the Fabinho money.

Imo Jürgen has bought well, and he has attacking options to use if he wants. He used Studge against PSG when I'd never have expected it. We'll see if he uses him again today..
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,033 posts | 1655 
      Reply #153: Oct 07, 2018 02:00:44 pm
      Gut feeling....well be much better then Wednesday. We wont allow thsm space and time that most other teams do. For me 2 things will impact the result

. our team selection
      . performance of front 3

The city defence does nothing to worry me that we cant score. So on the basis that Bobby wiil show up and that Mane and Mo rise to the magnitude of the game we win...

I pray

That's my gut feeling as well.

I get where JD is coming from in that they've played better football than us on the whole this season but have a feeling we'll be up for this one.
      Compuche
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 492 posts | 27 
      Reply #154: Oct 07, 2018 02:09:25 pm
      If we deploy the same sideways and backward passing midfield like the one against Napoli.... we'll lose.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,479 posts | 176 
      Reply #155: Oct 07, 2018 02:09:59 pm
      Mo started off last season the same way before he really got going.
      Remember all the discussion about how many sitters he was missing?

I've no doubt he'll soon be scoring lots.

Don't doubt it. But it will be near impossible to match what he did last season. His goals last season set us up for this. We have to manage expectations this season. It won't be an easy season for Mo. Was always going to be the case after last season. I like the signings and to be honest I never said, at the time, that Fab was a midfielder to many. It's just a thought that may be we did need that extra goal threat in the Squad.

Swab

• 9,804 posts | 1605 
      Reply #156: Oct 07, 2018 02:16:11 pm
      Don't doubt it. But it will be near impossible to match what he did last season. His goals last season set us up for this. We have to manage expectations this season. It won't be an easy season for Mo. Was always going to be the case after last season. I like the signings and to be honest I never said, at the time, that Fab was a midfielder to many. It's just a thought that may be we did need that extra goal threat in the Squad.

I don't think he has to match it really, just keep doing what he's doing and he'll get plenty of goals, and with defenders so wary of him, and often putting 2 or even 3 men on him, it leaves lots of room for Firmino and Mane.
      We just need the front 3 to click into gear, and we'll be flying.
      sore monad
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 965 posts | 154 
      Reply #157: Oct 07, 2018 02:16:41 pm
      That's my gut feeling as well.

I get where JD is coming from in that they've played better football than us on the whole this season but have a feeling we'll be up for this one.

We've played well all season apart from against Leicester and Napoli. I don't think they are playing better than us overall. Our front 3 still aren't really firing but no time like the present. I think Jürgen will be telling those 3 to play much closer together than they did against Napoli, and I think he will get a response to that defeat. He usually does - we've never lost 2 in a row under him. If the front 3 click, we'll win.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,523 posts | 1231 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #158: Oct 07, 2018 02:38:16 pm
      If we didn't have Alisson I'd put a that Sunderland balloon in goal.

Harsh on migs
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,523 posts | 1231 
      Reply #159: Oct 07, 2018 02:39:58 pm
      Hendo, gini and milly in midfield by the looks of it with joe at rb and lovren at cb
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,083 posts | 953 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #160: Oct 07, 2018 02:43:05 pm
      Hendo, gini and milly in midfield by the looks of it with joe at rb and lovren at cb

If thats true its a game changer for me thats hands advantage to City. Who breaks up a central defense flying it?

And the same uncreative middle 3 again.

Swings it for City for me. Hope im wrong
      PurpleMonkey

• 8,578 posts | 1202 
      Reply #161: Oct 07, 2018 02:45:17 pm

Wtf? I would understand the midfield, but Lovren CB and Gomez at RB?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,523 posts | 1231 
      Reply #162: Oct 07, 2018 02:48:15 pm
      Wtf? I would understand the midfield, but Lovren CB and Gomez at RB?

Would have clyne at rb and leave joe alone
      PurpleMonkey

• 8,578 posts | 1202 
      Reply #163: Oct 07, 2018 02:50:24 pm

Yeah, same.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,254 posts | 84 
      Reply #164: Oct 07, 2018 02:53:41 pm
      If we need to rest TAA I would like to see Fabinho play at RB.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,479 posts | 176 
      Reply #165: Oct 07, 2018 02:56:26 pm
      If thats true its a game changer for me thats hands advantage to City. Who breaks up a central defense flying it?

And the same uncreative middle 3 again.

Swings it for City for me. Hope im wrong

Decided against a kitchen sink job and gone for cautious attack. Not bad tactics, may be shows City a bit to much respect but I respect the decision...if what you say is the true line up..
      sore monad
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 965 posts | 154 
      Reply #166: Oct 07, 2018 03:06:16 pm

Ditto. Joe is a better CB than RB. He's also a better CB than Lovren. Strange one.
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,392 posts | 326 
      Reply #167: Oct 07, 2018 03:11:53 pm
      For God's sake when will people realise that a midfield of Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum doesn't f**king work, how many matches do we need to have it demonstrated before poeple wake up to this. In fairness yesterday Klopp didn't have much choice, due to Keita's injury, but in hindsight I'd have brought on Shaquiri or even Sturridge as the AM as we have to shake things up and inject some creativity and link to the front three because the three we had yesterday just kill every game in terms of creativity.

I,m not sure it's just a myth and people just keep banging the same drum, the three worked perfectly well against Chelsea, a game we should have won but for wasted chances?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,479 posts | 176 
      Reply #168: Oct 07, 2018 03:12:27 pm
      We've played well all season apart from against Leicester and Napoli. I don't think they are playing better than us overall. Our front 3 still aren't really firing but no time like the present. I think Jürgen will be telling those 3 to play much closer together than they did against Napoli, and I think he will get a response to that defeat. He usually does - we've never lost 2 in a row under him. If the front 3 click, we'll win.

May or may not have noticed but I have an issue with Mo playing closer to Firmino. Yes they rely on inter play for a lot of the trickery but I like Mo to play wide right sometimes. As it is with him tucking in our play tends to go predominately down the left with Mane.

With Mo tucking in TAA had to play wing back almost and some of his crosses came to nothing this season. That has been a bit disappointing from TAA. Yes the front 3 playing in tandem can play off each other but we don't have the same penetration down the right side.

Shaq in there would give a bit more down the right but klopp has gone against that. I'll be looking at how much we create down the right if Mo tucks in.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,479 posts | 176 
      Reply #169: Oct 07, 2018 03:17:10 pm
      I,m not sure it's just a myth and people just keep banging the same drum, the three worked perfectly well against Chelsea, a game we should have won but for wasted chances?

Dug deep there to have a pop.....getting in early before the Anti-Hendo mob hit the keys.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,479 posts | 176 
      Reply #170: Oct 07, 2018 03:23:41 pm
      *Hendo is so negative*.......I'll keep me finger on the POST key poised to post as soon as he plays one single square pass....
      Swab

• 9,804 posts | 1605 
      Reply #171: Oct 07, 2018 03:29:38 pm
      Dug deep there to have a pop.....getting in early before the Anti-Hendo mob hit the keys.

*Hendo is so negative*.......I'll keep me finger on the POST key poised to post as soon as he plays one single square pass....

Gets boring doesn't it.
      Ruins every match thread.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,423 posts | 65 
      Reply #172: Oct 07, 2018 03:30:54 pm
      nooooooooooooooooo what a terible line
      shawspeed
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 62 
      Reply #173: Oct 07, 2018 03:33:01 pm
      So it's a back 3, interesting and same midfield. Could be a long afternoon.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts | 136 
      Reply #174: Oct 07, 2018 03:36:06 pm
      Don't get that tbh but got to trust the boss. Never liked Joe at FB but let's see . No Lallana again but some options off the bench
      sore monad
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 965 posts | 154 
      Reply #175: Oct 07, 2018 03:37:04 pm
      May or may not have noticed but I have an issue with Mo playing closer to Firmino. Yes they rely on inter play for a lot of the trickery but I like Mo to play wide right sometimes. As it is with him tucking in our play tends to go predominately down the left with Mane.

With Mo tucking in TAA had to play wing back almost and some of his crosses came to nothing this season. That has been a bit disappointing from TAA. Yes the front 3 playing in tandem can play off each other but we don't have the same penetration down the right side.

Shaq in there would give a bit more down the right but klopp has gone against that. I'll be looking at how much we create down the right if Mo tucks in.

Last season Mo scored so many cos he played a lot like an inside right, running beyond Firmino in at the back post. You're right this meant more of our build up play came down the left, but it worked really well. This season he's played more like a winger and he just hasn't been getting into as many goal scoring positions ( plus Firmino's been left isolated, and the interplay between the front 3 hasn't been as good ). I think if he plays a bit higher and closer to Firmino again we will be a lot more dangerous.

Quick Reply