Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (07/10/18 - 16:30)

Read 17151 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (07/10/18 - 16:30)
      Reply #46: Oct 05, 2018 12:57:06 am
      In previous games we've blown them apart with our intensity, but I just haven't seen that this season.

I'd normally be happy for Mane, Firmino, and Salah, but they seem slow and predictable this season instead. I see our attack as being more likely to slowly open up space and opportunities rather than attack them at pace, and therefore I feel Sturridge a better option than Firmino.

I'm not so worried about this. We have been winning and we are far harder to break down. We have come off the back of a World Cup year, Champions League final, that's a lot of football. If we can build on our work so far then we will be in good shape come second half of the season. Then we can start playing with more intensity and rhythm. Players like Sturridge had a full pre-season and look how good he looks. Salah et al. didn't so they are bound to be a bit rusty.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #47: Oct 05, 2018 01:49:39 am
      I would want to drop Trent for this one but remember him having Sterling in his back pocket twice last year. Then again there's going to be Leroy Sane as well, up against Trent which could be an absolute nightmare.

Think Clyne should play this game and just sit back and defend that left channel.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #48: Oct 05, 2018 03:01:01 am
      First time in ages we're going into a game where I'm not confident of getting anything. If I'm honest, I'm expecting us to get slapped.

Usually our front three give us a chance against anyone but they're not firing or even looking like team mates at the moment. They look like three strangers who are badly out of form.

The midfield have gone from being very impressive early on in the season to being a complete shambles. We simply cannot start that midfield three of gini, Henderson and Milner against city. If we do, we're just inviting them to push up and press us. The front three will be starved of service yet again. It'll be suicidal against these it really will be.

The only realistic option we have right now is putting shaqiri in there as the point. Something that doesn't fill me with much confidence to be honest and I get the feeling klopp won't put his trust in him to play in there against these either. See why some of us were desperate for fekir now?

Shaqiri would really have to work his bollocks off the way ox did. Press them, get stuck in, track back and get behind the ball when needed too. It will have to be a very disciplined performance and I'm not sure he has it in him. Maybe he will grasp the opportunity but it's a big gamble.

I really can't see shaqiri getting the nod from klopp but the only other option really is to continue playing Hendo gini and Milner who are just F***ing awful together. I'd rather gamble and go with shaqiri.

If klopp doesn't go with shaqiri then I hope he gives Fabinho a start over Henderson. The midfield will still lack creativity but at least we will have a player on the pitch who can control a game properly and dictate the play. That could free up Milner and Wijnaldum who may find the form they had before Henderson started getting minutes.

I honestly don't think I can take another game like this where Henderson goes missing and it affects our other midfielders. Then coming on here and reading about the two 'world class recoveries' he did which were just the most basic straight forward bits of play that any Sunday league footballer is capable of. It's just embarrassing now and I'm convinced they're on the wind up.

He adds nothing to our game and he never has. I've said it for a long time that our attack constantly bail him out. When the front three are firing and we're winning games then everybody's happy and nobody talks about Henderson's and his poor performances. I notice it though. A few others do. But some fans are blinded and don't notice it at all. They only notice the goals go in and thats it.

When the front three aren't firing though and we aren't winning games then you see just how basic he is and how little he offers this team. A lot more people are noticing it at present and he's rightfully coming in for a lot of criticism. Long over due.

When you want your captain to get a grip of your team and pull you through games when your not playing your best, where is he? He is supposed to be our leader.

His supporters will say 'it's not his job' or 'he's just this years scapegoat', but that's just a load of tosh to be quite honest. This is the perfect time for a 'number 6' to carry us through these types of games when we aren't playing well and maybe he would do if he was any good but as I say, he's just exposed when the front three aren't scoring and we aren't winning games. He offers absolutely nothing.

I didn't want to go in on Henderson but the thought of him starting really annoys me. I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now but I really fear klopps loyalty in him will backfire on us and we will get punished for it.

If Henderson plays on Sunday I have no hope in us winning. The midfield will just be unbalanced again, henderson will play poorly and gini and Milner won't be involved.

This is exactly the F***ing game he needs to roll his sleeves up and lead by example, get F***ing stuck in and get us over that line one way or another. He needs to be the best player on the pitch to the point he's coming off to a standing ovation and we're singing his name.

Three games without a win now and were playing like sh*te. A potential title decider at home so we need our captain more than ever. So if he does presumably start then let's see what he's F***ing made of once and for all. I have no hope whatsoever and I'm guessing he will go missing yet again but I hope to god he turns up and shuts me up for a week at least.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #49: Oct 05, 2018 07:46:19 am
      First time in ages we're going into a game where I'm not confident of getting anything. If I'm honest, I'm expecting us to get slapped.

Usually our front three give us a chance against anyone but they're not firing or even looking like team mates at the moment. They look like three strangers who are badly out of form.

The midfield have gone from being very impressive early on in the season to being a complete shambles. We simply cannot start that midfield three of gini, Henderson and Milner against city. If we do, we're just inviting them to push up and press us. The front three will be starved of service yet again. It'll be suicidal against these it really will be.

The only realistic option we have right now is putting shaqiri in there as the point. Something that doesn't fill me with much confidence to be honest and I get the feeling klopp won't put his trust in him to play in there against these either. See why some of us were desperate for fekir now?

Shaqiri would really have to work his bollocks off the way ox did. Press them, get stuck in, track back and get behind the ball when needed too. It will have to be a very disciplined performance and I'm not sure he has it in him. Maybe he will grasp the opportunity but it's a big gamble.

I really can't see shaqiri getting the nod from klopp but the only other option really is to continue playing Hendo gini and Milner who are just f**king awful together. I'd rather gamble and go with shaqiri.

If klopp doesn't go with shaqiri then I hope he gives Fabinho a start over Henderson. The midfield will still lack creativity but at least we will have a player on the pitch who can control a game properly and dictate the play. That could free up Milner and Wijnaldum who may find the form they had before Henderson started getting minutes.

I honestly don't think I can take another game like this where Henderson goes missing and it affects our other midfielders. Then coming on here and reading about the two 'world class recoveries' he did which were just the most basic straight forward bits of play that any Sunday league footballer is capable of. It's just embarrassing now and I'm convinced they're on the wind up.

He adds nothing to our game and he never has. I've said it for a long time that our attack constantly bail him out. When the front three are firing and we're winning games then everybody's happy and nobody talks about Henderson's and his poor performances. I notice it though. A few others do. But some fans are blinded and don't notice it at all. They only notice the goals go in and thats it.

When the front three aren't firing though and we aren't winning games then you see just how basic he is and how little he offers this team. A lot more people are noticing it at present and he's rightfully coming in for a lot of criticism. Long over due.

When you want your captain to get a grip of your team and pull you through games when your not playing your best, where is he? He is supposed to be our leader.

His supporters will say 'it's not his job' or 'he's just this years scapegoat', but that's just a load of tosh to be quite honest. This is the perfect time for a 'number 6' to carry us through these types of games when we aren't playing well and maybe he would do if he was any good but as I say, he's just exposed when the front three aren't scoring and we aren't winning games. He offers absolutely nothing.

I didn't want to go in on Henderson but the thought of him starting really annoys me. I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now but I really fear klopps loyalty in him will backfire on us and we will get punished for it.

If Henderson plays on Sunday I have no hope in us winning. The midfield will just be unbalanced again, henderson will play poorly and gini and Milner won't be involved.

This is exactly the f**king game he needs to roll his sleeves up and lead by example, get f**king stuck in and get us over that line one way or another. He needs to be the best player on the pitch to the point he's coming off to a standing ovation and we're singing his name.

Three games without a win now and were playing like sh*te. A potential title decider at home so we need our captain more than ever. So if he does presumably start then let's see what he's f**king made of once and for all. I have no hope whatsoever and I'm guessing he will go missing yet again but I hope to god he turns up and shuts me up for a week at least.

F***ing moaning before a ball has even been kicked.

Give it a rest lad.

City have hardly set the world on fire they have had an easier run and allready dropped points and were very ordinary against the mighty Lyon two weeks ago.

Have faith.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #50: Oct 05, 2018 08:23:56 am
      I think Jimmy needs a rest.

Even workaholics get jaded - and for me that’s the truth of the flattening in performance since Spurs.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #51: Oct 05, 2018 08:47:52 am
      Not a must win game so early in the season but we don’t want to lose and I imagine City will feel the same way.

Unless Keita is fit I can see the same 3 starting again in midfield but this game should suit them better a we will be relying on their hassling and shutting down ability more than their ball playung skills.
      However this will be all irrelevant if the front 3 don’t start clicking into gear.

I would als consider starting Clyne to give Trent a rest as we don’t need both full backs bombing forward and besides Trent’s forward play has been nothing to write about recently.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #52: Oct 05, 2018 09:53:58 am
      You cannot question this team's big game balls. They always bring it!

They will be fired up for this and whatever 11 Jürgen goes with, I am fully confident we will see a 200% improvement in performance than what we saw Wednesday.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Oct 05, 2018 10:05:08 am
      5-0 (Loss)
      Fernandinho, De Bruyne & Silva
      Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can

4-3 (Win)
      Fernandinho, De Bruyne & Gündogan
      Can, Wijnaldum & Ox ( I think it was more a double pivot)

3-0 (Win)
      Fernandinho, Gündogan & De Byune
      Henderson, Milner & Ox

1-2 (Win)
      Fernandinho, De Bruyne & Silva
      Wijnaldum, Milner & Ox

I do agree with Rib, it was last year, so it means f**k all.

I think Klopp will go for the same midfield that ended the game vs Napoli, and if he does, maybe Sturridge should play instead of Firmino as he offers more of a threat?

Man I miss Ox and those driving runs from midfield.
      No coincidence he was out injured as our season fizzled out.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #54: Oct 05, 2018 12:18:58 pm
      Man I miss Ox and those driving runs from midfield.
      No coincidence he was out injured as our season fizzled out.

Yeah, he seems to be the missing piece right now.  He is our best 2-way player -- capable of fulfilling the defensive responsibilities, but also very capable driving forward from midfield to supplement the attack. 

I had hoped one of Keita or Lallana would fill that role in his absence.  Maybe Naby will grow into it, but Lallana seems to be on the brink of being forgotten.  Shame too as Adam was brilliant in that role 2 seasons ago. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #55: Oct 05, 2018 12:30:02 pm
      Totally obsessed with Hendo, there are 11 players on the pitch, it's boring and you think Fabinho or Shaq will do a better job, that's a joke. One is not a midfielder and the other is not up to speed, it's like all you are interested in is waiting to pounce on the skipper every week, sad really.

I'm not 'obsessed' but i do think he has become a liability now.

And I do think either Fabinho or Shaqiri will do a better job yes. It can't really get any worse, can it?  Where you happy with Wednesday's performance?

I'm not here to pounce on anybody. But If somebody's played sh*te I'll say so. Apart from Gomez and Alisson the whole team did on Wednesday which I stated clearly in my post after the game. If somebody's played well then I'll say so, including Jordan Henderson. Again, whenever i feel he has, I've said so.

F***ing moaning before a ball has even been kicked.

Give it a rest lad.

City have hardly set the world on fire they have had an easier run and allready dropped points and were very ordinary against the mighty Lyon two weeks ago.

Have faith.

I am moaning a bit yes because Wednesday night was probably the worst I've seen us play under klopp.

A large part of that was down to our midfield.

You can say 'keep the faith' all you like, but to be honest I have no confidence in Henderson, gini and Milner presuming they all start and play together again.  Do you? And if so, what's it based on?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #56: Oct 05, 2018 12:36:15 pm
      Not a must win game so early in the season but we don’t want to lose and I imagine City will feel the same way.

Unless Keita is fit I can see the same 3 starting again in midfield but this game should suit them better a we will be relying on their hassling and shutting down ability more than their ball playung skills.
      However this will be all irrelevant if the front 3 don’t start clicking into gear.

I would als consider starting Clyne to give Trent a rest as we don’t need both full backs bombing forward and besides Trent’s forward play has been nothing to write about recently.

So a negative midfield and the full backs not making runs, yet you expect the forwards to play well, HOW????
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #57: Oct 05, 2018 01:49:57 pm
      Same side that started V Napoli, Naby is fine, Shitty haven't won at Anfield i think since '03' and they won't f***in win on Sunday, again i believe that in their minds we can beat them, we are the only side who can match every aspect of their game and then some, hence our 3-1 wins against them last season,

We are better than last season as they are but Pep will be desperate to beat us, he will want his troops at the top of their game, and they will have to be,

My only concern is we haven't clicked yet and if we put on a performance akin to Napoli we will get mullered, no question,

But what a game to get back on track, if our boys can't/don't  get up for this then there is a problem, but i think we will be fine,

So difficult to predict a score, both sides as good as each other so we could see a draw by way of cancelling each other out,

However, we being the home side i favour us to grab the 3pts, but if we do click properly we could see something like 3-1,

Any win will do, so long as its Us.

2-1 Mighty Redmen

YNWA
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #58: Oct 05, 2018 01:54:00 pm
      I hinted in my earlier post that may be Shaqiri should be given the chance to show he can add that extra attacking dimension from a advanced midfield position. Not centrally like OX but in a right sided attacking wing back.

The other issue is Mohamed Salah. This is going to need careful handling...very careful. After last season the expectations on him are massive. It's not at the intervention stage just yet but if a rest is required in a week or two's time it needs to be done in the right way. Bringing Shaq in could just work in Salah's favour. It might just take the spotlight off Mo esp if Shaq does well.

We need Shaq in there V City and go at them big time from the off. Give City any time to do there stuff and it could go wrong. More pressure on Mo. Vital game in lots of ways.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Oct 05, 2018 02:06:03 pm

I really can't see shaqiri getting the nod from klopp but the only other option really is to continue playing Hendo gini and Milner who are just f**king awful together. I'd rather gamble and go with shaqiri.

This is exactly the f**king game he needs to roll his sleeves up and lead by example, get f**king stuck in and get us over that line one way or another. He needs to be the best player on the pitch to the point he's coming off to a standing ovation and we're singing his name.

Three games without a win now and were playing like sh*te. A potential title decider at home so we need our captain more than ever. So if he does presumably start then let's see what he's f**king made of once and for all. I have no hope whatsoever and I'm guessing he will go missing yet again but I hope to god he turns up and shuts me up for a week at least.

Very little insight here. To sum up: Try Shaq, drop Hendo - hope for best.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #60: Oct 05, 2018 02:18:59 pm
      Very little insight here. To sum up: Try Shaq, drop Hendo - hope for best.

Agree.

Despite Klopp hooking Shaq off at halftime against Southampton because he felt like he wasn't up to scratch defensively.

Would be madness to throw him in there against City's midfield.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #61: Oct 05, 2018 03:14:44 pm
      Same team as vs. Napoli.

Jürgen won't change now. Many here underestimate the importance of a well-established team: everyone knows everyone's moves and patterns. That's some feature you don't wanna lose. Jürgen is also a guy that likes to back his players in adversity and to give them a chance to make it better.

That doesn't mean I'd like to see Shaq and to a certain extent Daniel being more featured, but it has to happen gently and not in the most important game of this season.

The rest is simple: We draw or lose and I think our PL dreams are over for City is so damn constant and they'd have their home game against us coming up. If we win we can continue to dream. I hope we win but I think we draw.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #62: Oct 05, 2018 03:27:22 pm
      So a negative midfield and the full backs not making runs, yet you expect the forwards to play well, HOW????

The midfield that got us to a CL final....!!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #63: Oct 05, 2018 03:35:52 pm

A midfield that conceded 7 goals in 2 games.
      Home match v Roma sealed the deal, then the team fell across the line.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #64: Oct 05, 2018 03:41:56 pm
      A midfield that conceded 7 goals in 2 games.
      Home match v Roma sealed the deal, then the team fell across the line.

Cant blame just the midfield for conceding goals, defence has a minuture of responsibility also.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Oct 05, 2018 03:45:54 pm
      Cant blame just the midfield for conceding goals, defence has a minuture of responsibility also.

And key elements of the GK & defense have been changed.
      Even against Napoli the likes of Alisson and Gomez had good games.
      I still think it's breaking down between midfield and attack and that needs to be addressed.
      Statements like "Got us to the Champions League Final" don't help.
      There is an imbalance and it needs to be addressed.

We've seen it addressed sometimes by Firmino almost playing as a 10 with Mane & Salah runs beyond him.
      That will probably be key against City, and in that case I'd expect us to play a double 8 if Keita is not fit to start.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #66: Oct 05, 2018 03:46:49 pm
      Agree.

Despite Klopp hooking Shaq off at halftime against Southampton because he felt like he wasn't up to scratch defensively.

Would be madness to throw him in there against City's midfield.

You're talking about Shaq as if he's some kind of rookie, this is a very experienced player both in the prem and internationally. There is no risk having him as an attacker form midfield, the bigger risk is playing Hendo, Milner an dGini again and getting completely overrun by Citeh without offering any service to our front three.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #67: Oct 05, 2018 03:49:35 pm

That statement has already been proven to be a lie, a midfield of Hendo, Milner and Gini did not propel us to the CL final nor did it feature in ANY of the games against Citeh. In fact the only time that midfield was played was in the last few games of the league where we struggled to get 4th spot and in the loss to Roma and Real Madrid.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #68: Oct 05, 2018 03:52:33 pm
      And key elements of the GK & defense have been changed.
      Even against Napoli the likes of Alisson and Gomez had good games.
      I still think it's breaking down between midfield and attack and that needs to be addressed.
      Statements like "Got us to the Champions League Final" don't help.
      There is an imbalance and it needs to be addressed.

We've seen it addressed sometimes by Firmino almost playing as a 10 with Mane & Salah runs beyond him.
      That will probably be key against City, and in that case I'd expect us to play a double 8 if Keita is not fit to start.

I don't disagree with your sentiment and I believe Klopp believes the same hence why we spent big on Keita and Fabinho however for the City game if Keita is not fit we don't really have much choice unless we change formation or Fabinho is brought in which I doubt Klopp will do.

I have addressed my concerns with the incumbent trio in the midfield thread but for the forthcoming game I think we will start with the same trio and if we are being honest they are not horrendous as shown in previous games against City.

Quick Reply