Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (07/10/18 - 16:30)

Read 17167 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (07/10/18 - 16:30)
      Reply #69: Oct 05, 2018 03:54:34 pm
      I don't disagree with your sentiment and I believe Klopp believes the same hence why we spent big on Keita and Fabinho however for the City game if Keita is not fit we don't really have much choice unless we change formation or Fabinho is brought in which I doubt Klopp will do.

I have addressed my concerns with the incumbent trio in the midfield thread but for the forthcoming game I think we will start with the same trio and if we are being honest they are not horrendous as shown in previous games against City.

Why would you have a problem with the incumbent trio in midfield, ie Hendo, Milner and Gini when you claim they were the ones who got us into the CL final?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #70: Oct 05, 2018 03:56:46 pm
      The midfield that got us to a CL final....!!!

I would be very curious to see how Wijnaldum as our 6 with Milner & Hendo as the 8's fair.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #71: Oct 05, 2018 03:57:30 pm
      That statement has already been proven to be a lie, a midfield of Hendo, Milner and Gini did not propel us to the CL final nor did it feature in ANY of the games against Citeh. In fact the only time that midfield was played was in the last few games of the league where we struggled to get 4th spot and in the loss to Roma and Real Madrid.

I think you will find that 3 of them played in most games in some form even if they didnt start so they all contributed.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #72: Oct 05, 2018 03:58:46 pm
      I would be very curious to see how Wijnaldum as our 6 with Milner & Hendo as the 8's fairs.

Yup i think we have both wanted to see this combination but Klopp doesn't seem too keen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #73: Oct 05, 2018 04:01:51 pm
      I don't disagree with your sentiment and I believe Klopp believes the same hence why we spent big on Keita and Fabinho however for the City game if Keita is not fit we don't really have much choice unless we change formation or Fabinho is brought in which I doubt Klopp will do.

I have addressed my concerns with the incumbent trio in the midfield thread but for the forthcoming game I think we will start with the same trio and if we are being honest they are not horrendous as shown in previous games against City.

If the same 3 play (Hendo, Gini, Milner) or (Hendo, Gini, Fabinho) then expect to see Firmino dropping deeper.
      If City do like Napoli and block off Firmino then it'll be a tough game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #74: Oct 05, 2018 04:05:05 pm
      If the same 3 play (Hendo, Gini, Milner) or (Hendo, Gini, Fabinho) then expect to see Firmino dropping deeper.

I will be a tough game either way they have a better midfield than ours until Keita and Fab are up to speed and Ox comes back from injury.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #75: Oct 05, 2018 04:06:17 pm
      I think you will find that 3 of them played in most games in some form even if they didnt start so they all contributed.

Ah ok so they all played at various points of the season but not together, now that is slightly different to what you said isn't it!

My point is that as a midfield trio they are crap as they have zero creativity or forward momentum and leave the attackers isolated as we saw very clearly against Napoli.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #76: Oct 05, 2018 04:08:47 pm
      Ah ok so they all played at various points of the season but not together, now that is slightly different to what you said isn't it!

My point is that as a midfield trio they are crap as they have zero creativity or forward momentum and leave the attackers isolated as we saw very clearly against Napoli.

Crap is obviously nonsense but there is a issue with the creativity side when they play together.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #77: Oct 05, 2018 04:21:30 pm
      Crap is obviously nonsense but there is a issue with the creativity side when they play together.

I see the same discussion in multiple threads between a lot of us so I'll finish up on this.

Klopp plays a 4-3-3. Often it shifts between that and a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4 depending on how the midfield 3 are setup.
      That variation along with the intensity/pressing of the front 3 makes it a stunning game to watch.
      To have that variation we need the players to be able to cover the 6,8 &10 positions.
      Sometimes, like against Napoli, they play as 2 no 6s or 2 no 8s within the one game.
      Unfortunately, without Ox or Keita there is no natural 10 and that is causing Firmino to drop deep.
      Some teams haven't covered that and the team has steamrolled them.
      Napoli covered it and the play broke down in the final 3rd.
      If there is a position that needs to be exploited at the moment with City it's there,
      but if we set up with 2 no 8s and Firmino is blocked/covered it'll be a long game.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #78: Oct 05, 2018 04:47:25 pm
      Yeah, he seems to be the missing piece right now.  He is our best 2-way player -- capable of fulfilling the defensive responsibilities, but also very capable driving forward from midfield to supplement the attack. 

I had hoped one of Keita or Lallana would fill that role in his absence.  Maybe Naby will grow into it, but Lallana seems to be on the brink of being forgotten.  Shame too as Adam was brilliant in that role 2 seasons ago. 

For real, I feel like people have pretty much dismissed Lallana somehow. I think he really was brilliant when on form a couple of seasons ago. If he gets his fitness back I think he could be a HUGE asset to our midfield. I just hope he gets there :/

Fingers crossed.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #79: Oct 05, 2018 05:00:07 pm
      I can't believe how many debates I've heard today on should Salah be dropped for this game. He should be well up for this, they all should in fact. I'm not sure how fit Keita is but I wouldn't risk him. On Salah if he plays like he has been doing of late in this game maybe then Klopp should think about resting him but IMO I think this is the game that will kick start his season.
                                Alisson
      TAA      Gomez            VVD          Robbo
                                Hendo
             Milner                           Gini
      Salah                  Bobby                 Mane
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #80: Oct 05, 2018 05:00:25 pm
      For real, I feel like people have pretty much dismissed Lallana somehow. I think he really was brilliant when on form a couple of seasons ago. If he gets his fitness back I think he could be a HUGE asset to our midfield. I just hope he gets there :/

Fingers crossed.

Sadly that word if again
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #81: Oct 05, 2018 05:24:13 pm
      Looks like De Bruyne and Gundogan are 50/50 whilst Delph is not available.

Could we see a Fernandinho, B.Silva & D.Silva midfield? Or perhaps he might throw Stones in the middle? :o

If De Bruyne & Gundogan  are not available, Shaqiri could do some damage to their midfield! But as much damage as he could do in the middle, I worry about the wide areas where we will be more vulnerable without our industrial midfield trio. Argh, what is Klopp gonna do?!?!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #82: Oct 05, 2018 07:19:48 pm

The attacking players also have to take some of the blame though, I can't fathom why they get off scot free and then the middies come under criticism. Our biggest issue as an attacking side is not the make-up of the midfield (yes that is a contributing factor) it is the form of Salah and to a lesser extent Firmino.

I would play Skakiri ahead of Henderson on Sunday but I don't think Klopp has enough faith in him to do what he expects off the ball. But given the form of Mo I think it is worth the gamble to keep us on the front foot and ensure were not just dropping off and trying to play in the counter without the ball for 90 minutes.

Good news is it's at anfield and this lot have won twice in their last 51 appearances at our place. Fingers crossed this run continues.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #83: Oct 05, 2018 08:12:26 pm
      The problem in the Napoli game was that our whole team lacked intensity in their pressing, and that the front 3 played too far apart. I'm highly confident Jürgen will sort both those issues for Citeh.

My only real worry is tiredness plus Mo being out of sorts. Keita hopefully will be ok for Sunday and will help with give us some fresh legs. Otherwise I'd keep the team the same ( with Fab - plus  whoever gets dropped for Keita- and either Shaq or Studge coming on in the 2nd half). I fancy us to win.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #84: Oct 05, 2018 08:55:22 pm
      Keita in the training pics so fingers crossed for Sunday.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #85: Oct 05, 2018 09:17:28 pm
      Rather have Keita to come on tbh when we may need someone to change game
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #86: Oct 05, 2018 11:20:47 pm
      You're talking about Shaq as if he's some kind of rookie, this is a very experienced player both in the prem and internationally. There is no risk having him as an attacker form midfield, the bigger risk is playing Hendo, Milner an dGini again and getting completely overrun by Citeh without offering any service to our front three.

No you daft tit I'm not discrediting his ability. Klopp seems to have concerns with his ability to defend when his playing in the midfield as he stated after Southampton. Look it up can't be arsed pulling up articles for you.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #87: Oct 05, 2018 11:31:24 pm
      Would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Without the front three clicking, which lets face it, they haven't all season, we are going to find it tough.
      Just hope Mo kicks into gear.
      We need to outscored them, they have too much attacking nouse to limit their chances as we have for other teams this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #88: Oct 06, 2018 01:02:00 am

I'd play Shaqiri in midfield especially if Keita isn't available.

We need some drive for there similar to what Chamberlain gave us last season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #89: Oct 06, 2018 03:20:13 am
      We need the win, simple as that. Won our last 4 games against them including the summer friendly, they’ve not won at our place for a long time. Simply only a win will do, a 4th game without a win is completely out the question.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #90: Oct 06, 2018 04:28:41 am
      We need the win, simple as that. Won our last 4 games against them including the summer friendly, they’ve not won at our place for a long time. Simply only a win will do, a 4th game without a win is completely out the question.

Given our run of games, lack of form up front, and the fact we're only in October for me a draw is not a bad result.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #91: Oct 06, 2018 11:43:46 am
      If this wasnt at Anfield Id be very worried because they feel they owe us a good anal pounding. Jürgen must be more flexible with his line up.

Quick Reply