Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson
      43 (35.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (1.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      18 (15%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      10 (8.3%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      41 (34.2%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: Oct 03, 2018 07:20:56 pm

Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26596 times
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Re: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Sep 30, 2018 07:21:10 pm
      Personally think Alisson saved us with a few cracker saves
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #530: Sep 30, 2018 07:27:10 pm
      Personally think Alisson saved us with a few cracker saves

Same here, I know we created some good chances but it was our keeper who made the two most important saves of the match. They’re a good side full of players who were reigning champions this time last year plus they’ve added 2 very good midfielders in Jorginho and Kovacic. It was a very good point.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #531: Sep 30, 2018 07:49:36 pm
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #532: Sep 30, 2018 09:05:26 pm
      It wasn't until the final whistle that I realised how good Jurgens sub changes actually were.
      Shaqiri and Keita ran at them and despite them already having made their three subs they couldn't cope with our direct play in those last 10 minutes.
      Mo was lost on that right wing second half compared to the first half.
      A bit surprised the yellow carded Milner wasn't taken off as opposed to Henderson but it was a gamble Jürgen was prepared to make.
      Bobby had hard luck when he headed it down only for Luiz to get his foot to it on the line and Mane's shot low down produced a great save. You could see it coming...and what a way to strike back.
      That has to be the best goal Studge has scored for us, surely.
      Robertsons face looking at that Reds fan running on to join in with the goal celebrations was brilliant :laugh:

Decent side Chelsea this season so far but without Hazard they'll struggle.

I went for Van Dyke as my man of the match for his handling of Giroud.

Tottenham and Chelsea away last season = 0 points
      Tottenham and Chelsea away this season = 4 points
      That's progress

:kop5cf8koxp6:

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #533: Sep 30, 2018 09:15:12 pm
      What a strange game. Strange as in I was left with mixed emotions at the end. Delighted we 'snatched a draw' so late on but I can't help but feel Chelsea were there for the taking and we should have left Stamford bridge with 3 points. I think we would have too if Jürgen went with a different line up.

I said in the pre match thread that the midfield three had to be gini in the holding role with Keita and Milner alongside him. I couldn't believe Jürgen went with a midfield three of henderson, gini and Milner. They don't have a creative bone between them and we very nearly paid the price for it.

The game starts and we actually play better than what I expected. I thought we had more of the ball than Chelsea and we were knocking it around quite well. That said, Chelsea were relatively comfortable and they restricted us to half chances only but unfortunately for us, salah didn't have his shooting boots on.

Chelsea took the lead with a moment of magic play and a great finish from hazard. I don't think we could have any complaints really because we weren't doing enough to hurt them when we had the ball.

Salah should have equalised before half time when rudiger cleared it off the line but we went into the break 1 down.

The second half starts and it's more or less the same as the first, however we are starting to ask a few questions of Chelsea and we were knocking at the door. Mane should have scored with his low hard effort, shaqiri definitely should have scored with his mis kick from 12 yards and I think Bobby should have finished with his header too. They were three big, big chances and on another day we'd have taken all of them.

Despite those chances though, we really looked flat in midfield and it was clear that Jürgen needed to make some changes. Eventually he brought on Keita and took off henderson. Henderson appeared to be in a bit of a strop and I've no idea why because I thought, yet again, he was absolutely dreadful.

As soon as Keita came on we looked far, far better. Gini looked much more comfortable in the 6 and he began to spray the ball around really well. More importantly, we finally had a midfielder on the pitch in Keita who would run forward with the ball and try and make things happen for us. The improvement was there to see and it truly baffles me how fans are completely blinded and continue to jump to Henderson's defence. It's just utter madness now. That was our biggest game of the season so far and our captain was once again nowhere to be seen. Ive had enough of him now I want him out the starting 11 for good.

The other key substitute was Daniel Sturridge for Milner. Milner wasn't having the best of games and we had to gamble at that point and bring a match winner on. I said in the post match thread midweek that even though Daniels lost his legs and can no longer get in behind defences, his quality will never go and he knows where the goal is. What a strike. I'm so made up for him. It was a brilliant goal and one we deserved.

Just want to say I thought Alisson was superb and he was the clear motm for me. Chelsea didn't threaten us much but when they did they were big chances too and they will think they should have scored more. Alisson kept us in the game and if we had either Karius or Mignolet in goal then we wouldn't have got a thing from that match.

Many are talking about salah at the moment and discussing their concerns. I'm not worried one bit. I'd be more concerned if he was non existant but he's still getting in the right places and trying to make things happen. He might not have his shooting boots on right now but he's still a constant menace and is a handful for defenders. Next week he will probably score 3.

The last thing to say is, and I've said it several times already this season, Jürgen needs to be brave and take henderson out of this team whenever possible. We are a much better and a much more balanced side when he doesn't play. I don't understand how anyone who can disagree with that, I've no idea what on earth they're F***ing watching.

To summarise. Happy with a point and to get it so late on, it's the least we deserved, but I can't help but feel if we just started Keita then we'd have left with all three points. Chelsea won't be contenders in my opinion, they're a one man side with hazard and he will lose his form at some point. They'll be fighting for fourth. I think city will go there and win quite comfortably and it's moments like that which may prove vital come May.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #534: Sep 30, 2018 11:29:08 pm
      As soon as Keita came on we looked far, far better. Gini looked much more comfortable in the 6 and he began to spray the ball around really well. More importantly, we finally had a midfielder on the pitch in Keita who would run forward with the ball and try and make things happen for us. The improvement was there to see and it truly baffles me how fans are completely blinded and continue to jump to Henderson's defence. It's just utter madness now. That was our biggest game of the season so far and our captain was once again nowhere to be seen. Ive had enough of him now I want him out the starting 11 for good.

Keita really offers something different that Hendo just doesn't offer. I think Klopp went for the 'safe' option away from home in the PL. Gini is also more dynamic as a number 6 too. Maybe this will be a wake up call for Jürgen?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #535: Sep 30, 2018 11:40:49 pm
      I like Hendo a lot but Jürgen simply has to start rotating him with Milner and start Keita in CM from now on for the good of the team.

We have so much more forward momentum as a unit when Keita is on the pitch as he is far more mobile and skilful than Hendo is.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #536: Sep 30, 2018 11:41:45 pm
      I’m pissed off that we dropped 2 points, but fair play to Sarri. He saw that with our high press we were vulnerable to the swift counter, and he had the players to execute it.
      We could still of out scored them with all the chances created but Stu’s goal was a thing of beauty.
      Had he lashed it hopefully towards goal, it was still a worldly, but the fact he looks up, picks his spot and BOOM ! That was just incredible. He certainly needs to get on earlier if he ain’t starting. You can’t keep that talent on the bench !
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #537: Oct 01, 2018 07:06:14 am
      Unbelievable goal from Studge to grab the point. A flash of brilliance.
      We had enough chances to have won the game, but on the balance of things, was glad to get the point on the night.
      Chavs would be lost without Hazard, he's hit some good form for them. They looked dangerous thro the middle with quick one touch football, and will balls over the top. Sarri has done well with them.
      The middle three for us getting stick, but thought we created enough chances, away from home, against a strong side, but we fluffed it too many times. Salah's final ball was over-hit several times, but at least he was getting into good positions. Bob was quiet again, and even Mane who has the pick of the front 3 so far was in and out of the game.
      Could have made changes sooner I thought, wasn't working for us up top, and Studge and Shaq and Keita did well when they came on. Maybe one of two pushing for a start now.
      Joint top - massive game against City coming - got to think need to win it if really want the title this year.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #538: Oct 01, 2018 10:21:45 am
      Good performance overall and plenty of chances.  Those saying we "stole a point" couldn't have been watching the game!  Yes Allison made a couple of good, crucial saves, but Salah had 2 very good sights of goal from 18 yards, 1 tamely to to the keeper, the other into row G.  He had the effort cleared off the line when rounding the keeper, Mane had his effort brilliantly saved, Firmino had a good header cleared off the line & Shaq missed an absolute sitter. On another day, we could have scored 3 or more easily.

Chelsea are a very good side, with quality throughout the team and have a game-changer on top form in Hazard.

Biggest concern remains the the front 3 still not quite being at the races.  However, if we can get through the next 2 matches unscathed and beat City, we have a few very winnable fixtures where the Fab 3 can hopefully find their shooting boots (Salah & Firmino in particular).  Once they click, can see us go on a nice run of wins (not that we've started too shabbily!).

Allison looks a quality signing and with VVD, makes a HUGE difference at the back.

Shaq deserves more game time in my view, but think Klopp has reservations about him defensively.

Sturridge also deserves more game time as he looks the most likely to score for us at present.

All in all, a good point the weekend, a couple of massive games coming up and plenty to look forward to, optimistically.

« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2018 01:06:10 pm by skamp »
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #539: Oct 01, 2018 01:23:41 pm
      Good game to watch and we were right in there all the way.  In the end i am happy with the result, i think chavs are a good side so an away point there is valuable.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #540: Oct 02, 2018 07:51:22 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      The last thing to say is, and I've said it several times already this season, Jürgen needs to be brave and take henderson out of this team whenever possible. We are a much better and a much more balanced side when he doesn't play. I don't understand how anyone who can disagree with that, I've no idea what on earth they're F***ing watching.

To summarise...

And you had already said it three times in the post by that point. And again afterwards. So you will probably say it again. And again. And again. And again.

And some more after that, because Hendo is essential in Klopp's eyes, and he won't be dropped. I have no major issue with that, I can see why he won't be, he does a solid enough, workmanlike job. My main issue with him is the captaincy. I want my captain to be the heartbeat of the side, the one you can turn to when the boat is rocking, chip in a key goal here, keep a shot out there. I've been watching him play here for 7 years, and I've never once seen him show the leadership or inspirational skills in all that time that a top team really needs. I have seen him go missing a lot of the time including, the European Cup Final. When I look at the real leaders as captains here down the years, I think it's barely believable that an ordinary average player such as Hendo, will be the next one to collect silverware for us, as things stand. He's even crap at winning tosses at home lately, so we have to play into the Kop in the first half more than usual, which brings an automatic boo from the Kop when the players switch around. In fairness to him, there were not many leaders around when Steve left the club, so as one of the senior players, he got the armband by default, and has pretty much kept it ever since.

Times have changed since then, but unfortunately he hasn't. When Jürgen went to throw the kitchen sink in this game, he was first to go, then the vice captain Milner followed him. Eventually the man I want to see as captain, VVD, took the armband. His first decision though was to tell Studge to pass the ball to Robbo out wide. Studge decided to whack it into the top corner instead, as I'm sure he'd seen enough chances go by before then. So the sub worked.

We still had 5 minutes to see it out though, and the new stand in captain showed that he has the skills to lead the side, organise us properly, and get his foot in when necessary, something that Hendo just doesn't, or won't do. If he could do all that in 5 minutes, imagine what he could do over a season. You can sub Hendo when you need something, you can't sub VVD unless it's unavoidable. So the choice of captaincy is obvious imo.

Now that the 100% record has gone, I've already seen the first whispers in the media, that the title race has been decided. So let's go out there on Sunday, and send another message to them, that they obviously didn't get in the past 6 weeks. Time for Hendo to step up. Again.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #541: Oct 02, 2018 09:20:25 am
      And you had already said it three times in the post by that point. And again afterwards. So you will probably say it again. And again. And again. And again.

And some more after that, because Hendo is essential in Klopp's eyes, and he won't be dropped. I have no major issue with that, I can see why he won't be, he does a solid enough, workmanlike job. My main issue with him is the captaincy. I want my captain to be the heartbeat of the side, the one you can turn to when the boat is rocking, chip in a key goal here, keep a shot out there. I've been watching him play here for 7 years, and I've never once seen him show the leadership or inspirational skills in all that time that a top team really needs. I have seen him go missing a lot of the time including, the European Cup Final. When I look at the real leaders as captains here down the years, I think it's barely believable that an ordinary average player such as Hendo, will be the next one to collect silverware for us, as things stand. He's even crap at winning tosses at home lately, so we have to play into the Kop in the first half more than usual, which brings an automatic boo from the Kop when the players switch around. In fairness to him, there were not many leaders around when Steve left the club, so as one of the senior players, he got the armband by default, and has pretty much kept it ever since.

Times have changed since then, but unfortunately he hasn't. When Jürgen went to throw the kitchen sink in this game, he was first to go, then the vice captain Milner followed him. Eventually the man I want to see as captain, VVD, took the armband. His first decision though was to tell Studge to pass the ball to Robbo out wide. Studge decided to whack it into the top corner instead, as I'm sure he'd seen enough chances go by before then. So the sub worked.

We still had 5 minutes to see it out though, and the new stand in captain showed that he has the skills to lead the side, organise us properly, and get his foot in when necessary, something that Hendo just doesn't, or won't do. If he could do all that in 5 minutes, imagine what he could do over a season. You can sub Hendo when you need something, you can't sub VVD unless it's unavoidable. So the choice of captaincy is obvious imo.

Now that the 100% record has gone, I've already seen the first whispers in the media, that the title race has been decided. So let's go out there on Sunday, and send another message to them, that they obviously didn't get in the past 6 weeks. Time for Hendo to step up. Again.
      100% agree that VVD is THE obvious choice for captain long term, as he is leader, an organiser, a great player and is undroppable.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #542: Oct 02, 2018 10:59:38 pm
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #543: Oct 03, 2018 02:41:21 am

I said I don't want to see Henderson in the team then summarised by saying klopp has to take him out. Slightly different.

Bit of an odd post where you begin by blasting me for being repetitive but then go into a lengthy rant yourself.

I must say though, I did laugh when I read 'he's even crap at winning the coin toss'  :lmao: 
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #544: Oct 03, 2018 01:49:21 pm
      I said I don't want to see Henderson in the team then summarised by saying klopp has to take him out. Slightly different.

Bit of an odd post where you begin by blasting me for being repetitive but then go into a lengthy rant yourself.

I must say though, I did laugh when I read 'he's even crap at winning the coin toss'  :lmao:
      best not to bother. Both sides are entitled to an opinion. I agree with you on dropping Hendo but the argument has been going all week. I'll get behind whoever Klopp picks and just hope he sees the light like he has with Moreno and Mignolet.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #545: Oct 03, 2018 01:53:33 pm
      best not to bother. Both sides are entitled to an opinion. I agree with you on dropping Hendo but the argument has been going all week. I'll get behind whoever Klopp picks and just hope he sees the light like he has with Moreno and Mignolet.

What’s that about grammar you dislike?..

:roll:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #546: Oct 03, 2018 01:58:57 pm
      What’s that about grammar you dislike?..

:roll:
      Capitalisation isn't that important here and that's more of a lazy to proof read issue more than anything. I'll have a look if there's a setting to capitalise first words, however if I were trying to be perfect I would put "It's best". I don't mind these discussions but this is the wrong thread for it.

Edit: I've checked and autocapitalisation is enabled, however it checks for a full stop. It won't capitalise after the last character in the quote tag because it's a closing bracket.
      « Last Edit: Oct 03, 2018 02:24:43 pm by Ribapuru »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #547: Oct 13, 2018 08:59:39 pm
      Relive the atmosphere on matchday with audio commentary of the best bits of the game, with Aldo.

https://youtu.be/VO1slBlPGMo

Quick Reply