Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (10.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      13 (11.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      32 (27.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      11 (9.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (5.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      20 (17.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      21 (18.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Voting closed: Oct 11, 2018 06:22:04 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21920 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Oct 07, 2018 07:08:30 pm
      Those who think Gini had a good game must had]ve been watching another match. He did sod all.

I agree I thought he had a poor game.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #300: Oct 07, 2018 07:10:13 pm
      Voted for Hendo, he was hounding their midfielders all day and had some really incisive passes. Really thought we battered them in the first half, disappeared a bit in the second half. Would have had Sturridge for Mo or Mane instead of Bobby. 1 point isn’t the end of the world against the champs. And we didn’t play that well in the second half. Still in great position and hopefully we are yet to hit our stride.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #301: Oct 07, 2018 07:10:47 pm
      Chelsea twice.Spurs,PSG, Napoli and City that's some set of fixtures we have had.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #302: Oct 07, 2018 07:16:34 pm
      Had the in-laws over so had to watch the game an hour delayed. Despite the pen I still have motm to VVD because he was a frickin colossus at the back. The fact we can play poorly going forward but now have a genuinely top defence manned by a world class Centre half and Keeper is the biggest game changer. The forwards will find their Rythym again but in the mean time we may need to rely on our defence to keep things tight.

Some tired legs out there today, Bobby looked dead on his feet by the time he came off. I thought Gomez had s strong game, Lovren came in and was excellent and Henderson was the pick of the midfield.

5 way title race all of a sudden and we’re right in the thick of it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #303: Oct 07, 2018 07:17:31 pm
      I remember this time last season our attack just not quite clicking. It probably took until November and that match away to West Ham to get things going. But there is definitely something amiss with regards to our attack. It can be explained by form more than anything but I think there's stylistic/structural changes that they're having to adapt to.

Draw was a fair result from what was a rather putrid game of football. Man City, learning from their last two visits to Anfield, very much decided that defending was everything. It's as close to parking the bus as you'll see from that team and was almost reminiscent of Man Utd's two displays here at Anfield in the last two years. They created a couple of opportunities but at the other end we really could and should have pulled the trigger early on in that second half only for Mane and Keita to get in the way of each other. That was annoying. It's clear Keita will take a few weeks before he is fully up to speed to what he needs to do. He holds on to the ball too long and the sort of quick ball out to our attack is dead and non existent because of it. Perhaps it's a tactical tweak this season in favour of greater control in possession but in doing so we neuter one of our attacking frontline's most feared traits.

Thought the decision to start Gomez at right back was the correct one although as the game went on you realised that Gomez's deliveries were very much lacking compared to TAA. There were two golden opportunities to cross late on which Gomez completed but which were easily defended. I'm certain with Trent delivering one of those balls then we could have scored from one of them - Sturridge would have been primed no doubt! However - Jürgen has a rotation policy to keep to if we want to be competitive throughout the season and on the back off two poor displays from young Trent it was the right one to start Gomez at right back. Thought Lovren was superb and stoic today so fair play to the big man. Slipped back in alongside his partner in crime and was just the sort of display to keep everyone happy with our defence once again this season, further emphasised by a comfortable goalkeeping display by Alisson who aside from a standard save at his near post was never really troubled.

Thought Gini and Hendo were very good today to my slight surprise, making up for their midweek horrors. They competed well but unfortunately they just lacked a midfield partner who could play the quick ball when needed.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018 07:26:58 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #304: Oct 07, 2018 07:17:46 pm
      I agree I thought he had a poor game.

I am curious, what was so poor? It will be interesting to watch back and see what I missed.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,695 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #305: Oct 07, 2018 07:17:55 pm
      We're still in the league with all the difficult fixtures. I'm happy :)
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #306: Oct 07, 2018 07:18:31 pm
      The boys supplying killer balls have disappeared for four matches now.
      We badly need a midfield player capable of doing just that and should be someone we looking for in the January window. At the moment we have Shaqiri yet Klopp does not use him in the free role in midfield...

He has the quality to play there and would take some for the attention that defenders are giving Salah away from him, also we had two free kicks one of which was in a prime position and was begging for some one with the quality of Shaqiri to have a strike at it...

We needed to keep front three on the pitch and taking off Firmino for Sturrigde made little sense to me...

Besides getting stuck in Midfield offered very little in the way of creativity or a goal threat, Henderson today was the better of the the pair of him and Gini, though when Henderson was fouled it annoyed me because we were going forward and Henderson instead of look for a forward  past turned and was looking to play the ball backwards...

I was a bit disappointed with Klopp's lack of creativity tactic wise...

Still we came away with a point, which is better than none

F***ing International Break Again..  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #307: Oct 07, 2018 07:21:15 pm

9. Today I came to the conclusion we won't win the PL. We don't have the quality man in the middle, Coutinho's absence is crucial.

Imagine being this shithouse of a fan. We’re undefeated, joint top, not even close to our best yet - and you’re giving up.

Everything that’s wrong with modern fan reactionary sh*t posting right there.

Oh and F**k Coutinho. Better without the injury faking cry-arse little tw*t.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #308: Oct 07, 2018 07:22:27 pm

Allison, followed by VVD despite the pen.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #309: Oct 07, 2018 07:22:29 pm

I'm so glad we got the break. Cos the midfield looked jaded and we needed a regroup! A very tough phase is over and we can now look forward to a decent run of fixtures where we can keep picking up 3 points and stay on/close to top.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #310: Oct 07, 2018 07:23:58 pm
      Missed the match, bloody children’s birthday party!

Doesn’t look like I missed much, hopefully the boys come back from International duty firing on a few more cylinder than current.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #311: Oct 07, 2018 07:24:21 pm
      Very poor from us again, lack of pressing, creativity and accuracy. I hope this international break can act as a reset as we really are getting worse now in terms of attack
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #312: Oct 07, 2018 07:24:39 pm
      I'm so glad we got the break. Cos the midfield looked jaded and we needed a regroup! A very tough phase is over and we can now look forward to a decent run of fixtures where we can keep picking up 3 points and stay on/close to top.
      sh*t... Now you are actually making me feel better about the International breaks  :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #313: Oct 07, 2018 07:24:49 pm
      We badly need a midfield player capable of doing just that and should be someone we looking for in the January window. At the moment we have Shaqiri yet Klopp does not use him in the free role in midfield...

He has the quality to play there and would take some for the attention that defenders are giving Salah away from him, also we had two free kicks one of which was in a prime position and was begging for some one with the quality of Shaqiri to have a strike at it...

We needed to keep front three on the pitch and taking off Firmino for Sturrigde made little sense to me...

Besides getting stuck in Midfield offered very little in the way of creativity or a goal threat, Henderson today was the better of the the pair of him and Gini, though when Henderson was fouled it annoyed me because we were going forward and Henderson instead of look for a forward  past turned and was looking to play the ball backwards...

I was a bit disappointed with Klopp's lack of creativity tactic wise...

Still we came away with a point, which is better than none

F***ing International Break Again..  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm ok with the international break coming at this moment. We've lost a bit of attacking touch and it might just do ourselves good for us to go away for a week and a bit and come back with a different perspective on things (and hopefully no injuries).
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #314: Oct 07, 2018 07:25:54 pm
      Macro level you have to be happy with where we are right now tied with points for top of the table, though the GD gap between us and City is pretty big and now Chelsea is also ahead of us. More micro level we played another mostly insipid game and Klopp just keeps putting out the same lineup every game and refuses to change things up despite looking as stale as we have the past few games. Given the missed penalty and how we played you have to be happy with the point and kind of makes up for the 1-1 at Chelsea where we probably deserved better with 2 goals cleared off the line and a goal from Hazard that should have been stopped.

After the break we have Huddersfield and Cardif so picking up those 6 points is imperative before a difficult trip to Arsenal. Playing Red Star back to back in CL should also get us back on track and start securing a spot to make it out of the group.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #315: Oct 07, 2018 07:27:03 pm
      Every time the ball goes near Lovren, my heart rate doubles. He's a brain fart waiting to happen.His arms are all over the place and the could easily have given two pens away today. Having said that we are still joint top despite not firing on all cylinders.
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #316: Oct 07, 2018 07:27:18 pm
      Our new signings not making the impact thus far really do feel Lallana could make a difference and energy of Ox being missed also
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #317: Oct 07, 2018 07:32:42 pm
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #318: Oct 07, 2018 07:38:00 pm
      Keita-Fab-Lallana need a good run of games now. I'm kinda optimistic that, this axis will be creative and we'll play a lot more twinkle-toe football after the break. Jürgen said he needed Milner-Hendo-Gini all these games cos those 3 are used to his methods. Onwards and Upwards!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #319: Oct 07, 2018 07:40:31 pm
      You look at our first 8 games of last season and you're saying to yourself there's problems all over the pitch. Defence and goalkeeping is an absolute car crash and the attack doesn't seem to be clicking.

This season, with a much harder opening to the campaign, we're defending superbly and our shape is fine. Our attack isn't clicking however. There's not much that needs to be put right before we can start firing on all cylinders but put it right we need to do.
      welease_bwian
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #320: Oct 07, 2018 07:42:48 pm
      Seems like we're determined to try every other combination first before allowing Shaq to become the link between midfield and attack.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #321: Oct 07, 2018 07:47:58 pm
       :laughing-smiley-014:
      Imagine being this shithouse of a fan. We’re undefeated, joint top, not even close to our best yet - and you’re giving up.

Everything that’s wrong with modern fan reactionary sh*t posting right there.

Oh and f**k Coutinho. Better without the injury faking cry-arse little tw*t.

Dont sit on the fence fella ;D ,we got a notch or 2 still to go up ,just keep doing what we are doing and Im sure we will kick on possibly  buy that spark everyone is talking about  in Jan to help the troops, Lovern got my vote for MOTM,unbeaten in the league nowhere near our best and still top of the league jeez its a hellish state of affairs to be in  so it is . :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:

Quick Reply