Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (10.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      13 (11.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      32 (27.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      11 (9.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (5.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      20 (17.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      21 (18.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Voting closed: Oct 11, 2018 06:22:04 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21783 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Oct 08, 2018 08:50:27 am
      We have played Spurs and Chelsea away and City at home.

They don't get much harder than that and we are joint top.

Why are people moaning?

We are in a very good situation at the moment.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #392: Oct 08, 2018 08:54:56 am
      We have played Spurs and Chelsea away and City at home.

They don't get much harder than that and we are joint top.

Why are people moaning?

We are in a very good situation at the moment.

Also of all the teams outside the top six, you could argue that Crystal Palace and Leicester away are both two of the hardest places to go.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #393: Oct 08, 2018 09:33:20 am
      For once, I'm glad of the international break, as we look like we need one!

Barely a chance created the last 2 matches and a lack or urgency & pressing to go with the lack of creativity.  It's almost as if our improvement defensively has come at a cost of losing a large part of our attacking potency.  All the front 3 look like strangers to each other a lot of the time.

Thought Lovren was okay but could have easily conceded 2 pens and he's always got that in his locker.  Ironic that it was VVD who gave the penalty away with a rash, unnecessary challenge.  Keeper had a solid game again and we generally looked good defensively, yesterday; as for our attack, nothing much to report really!

On the plus side, we've had a very tough run of fixtures and remain undefeated in the league, including 3 matches against top 6 sides (2 away).  The Carabao Cup exit is looking increasingly like a blessing in disguise, the only blot being the defeat to Napoli.  Let's hope this has been our sticky patch and that we come back after the break refreshed and with a lot more of the energy we're used to, but have been lacking the past couple of weeks.

We have 3 very winnable matches the rest of October, so need to get back to winning ways after no wins in 4.

Plenty to be optimistic about. COYR!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #394: Oct 08, 2018 09:49:06 am
      City only had 51% possession the lowest under Pep.I have seen us play far better than yesterday and last week at Chelsea and come away with nothing so we are at long last finding a way to take something from very difficult games.
      It was also interesting that Pep set his team up to counter us that's quite a compliment in itself he only has one way of playing normally
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #395: Oct 08, 2018 10:11:49 am
      Strange how views can differ on events. Fernandhino took out Mane twice once with what looked like a straight forearm smash and a Red Card yet the media saying Mane was lucky to stay on the pitch for lashing out.
      No sign of any retrospective action being taken today and nothing on Sky Sport suggesting he should have had a RED.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #396: Oct 08, 2018 10:18:17 am
      Strange how views can differ on events. Fernandhino took out Mane twice once with what looked like a straight forearm smash and a Red Card yet the media saying Mane was lucky to stay on the pitch for lashing out.
      No sign of any retrospective action being taken today and nothing on Sky Sport suggesting he should have had a RED.

I think the vast majority on here will agree with you, fernandinho is a really good player but gets away with absolute murder
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #397: Oct 08, 2018 10:36:26 am
      ON reflection it was a good point against a very good team who set up to negate our normal play, plus it came at the ned of a gruelling set of fixtures.
      Having said all that we really need to get our mojo back and fast and what better way than against Huddersfield who are utter sh*te, honestly if we don't win that game by 2 or 3 goals I will start to get quite concerned.

I still feel we need to find a way of integrating Shaquiri into the team, he's no Coutinho but he's the nearest we have to him at the moment and we need his energy in the team.

As for CB pairing I still prefer Gomez and VVD although Lovren is more than capable of covering for either one.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #398: Oct 08, 2018 10:59:15 am
      I'v heard that Mahrez is being prosecuted by the Highways agency for kicking a football on to the M57. I think we should pay the fine.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #399: Oct 08, 2018 11:13:10 am
      ON reflection it was a good point against a very good team who set up to negate our normal play, plus it came at the ned of a gruelling set of fixtures.

Agreed.

Having said all that we really need to get our mojo back and fast --- I still feel we need to find a way of integrating Shaquiri into the team, he's no Coutinho but he's the nearest we have to him at the moment and we need his energy in the team.

Agreed. Main point is: Jürgen has to take down his purple glasses and start to realize there's something wrong systematically before it will show in the league table.

As for CB pairing I still prefer Gomez and VVD although Lovren is more than capable of covering for either one.

Lovren made MOTM here. Give him his job he lost only due WC & injury. If he makes mistakes Jürgen has every right to install Gomez back. Some things are more important than winning....
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #400: Oct 08, 2018 11:38:48 am
      Geez, they don't make many mistakes when they have the ball, for us to capitalize on, do they?

We just really cancelled each other out so a point well earned as we really didn't create too many chances.

Thank f**k Mahrez took the penno and thank even more f**k that Aguero was off the ground when they got the pen or that was in the back of the net for sure.

Gave my MOTM to Gini but could easily have given it to Lovren who I thought was outstanding.

One thing I was happy about was seeing Trent get a rest and Gomez switching to right back. Was shitting myself at the thought of Trent v Raheem and Leroy Sane but Gomez did a stellar job on both.

Have a nice break lads, don't do too much with your Country Clubs and come back ready to roarrrrrrrrr.

Surprised at that mate.

Last season I thought Trent was exceptional against Sane and he had him in his pocket in the CL games.

Gomez played a game against city at full back too where he misjudged a cross field pass that Sane got in behind and they ended up scoring!

Trent needed a rest but I was shitting myself at Gomez playing right back. Thankfully Sane wasn't playing though.

Gomez and Lovren were fine yesterday but in future I'd much prefer clyne coming in as a straight swap for Trent and keeping joe at centre half.

It's hard to criticise either joe or Lovren after yesterday's game but I still feel if we see that defensive line up again then it'll cost us at some point.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #401: Oct 08, 2018 11:39:40 am
      20 points and after touch run fixtures, things only get better playing wise, we not playing well but still unbeaten only thing l hope boss use more squad players fresh things up in next couple weeks,
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #402: Oct 08, 2018 11:40:27 am
      I taught lovern had good game and not bad player have
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #403: Oct 08, 2018 11:41:47 am
      20 points and after touch run fixtures, things only get better playing wise, we not playing well but still unbeaten only thing l hope boss use more squad players fresh things up in next couple weeks,

Out of Us, City & Chelsea l, we have a easier run of games, but being the PL we can’t take it for granted..

After the break we will see the team of last season mauling opposition defences..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #404: Oct 08, 2018 11:55:23 am
      As mentioned by a few others it’s a measure of how far we have progressed under Klopp. The game reminded me a bit of how Utd have come to Anfield previously and kept it extremely compact in midfield, hardly saw their full backs getting forward.
      They were hoping that their attack could possibly exploit a mistake.

Pep set up to get a point which is a huge credit to our team that a team full of superstars were scared to take us on.

Good times ahead for the good guys in Red.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #405: Oct 08, 2018 11:58:15 am
      Out of Us, City & Chelsea l, we have a easier run of games, but being the PL we can’t take it for granted..

After the break we will see the team of last season mauling opposition defences..

I wouldn't be so certain.

Two years ago we had Lallana and coutinho.

Last season we had coutinho then ox.

This season we're relying heavily on Henderson, Gini and Milner who in truth, have just stunk the place out.

You can dress it up how you like about it being our full backs responsibility to create chances and that our midfields job is solely to harass the opposition, but the fact is that our lack of creativity in midfield is a serious problem and it's affecting our front three.

I kept banging my drum on this forum during pre season on how important it was to sign fekir or a similar replacement for coutinho. People with their rose tinted spectacles on said it didn't matter and the club can do no wrong.

Well we're struggling already now and it's clearly evident we are missing a 10 on the pitch.  After the internationals then I don't see klopp having any other choice than introducing shaqiri into the line up. We need more creativity it's that simple.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #406: Oct 08, 2018 11:58:39 am
      I don’t think a bigger compliment could be paid to our club & manager when Guardiola sets his team up for a point..

German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #407: Oct 08, 2018 12:11:03 pm
      I don’t think a bigger compliment could be paid to our club & manager when Guardiola sets his team up for a point..

He didn't. You just fall for his cheap compliments. He outplayed us with a low-risk-strategy. They had 3 realistic goal chances, we had 0. In a normal world City leaves Anfield with 3 points, and in a normal world Chelsea wins last week and we'd have 3 consecutive losses. We just have 20 points because we got lucky, the same luck we missed last season. We just don't play well. Jürgen needs to realize we're in trouble before the trouble becomes obvious in the league table.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #408: Oct 08, 2018 12:18:09 pm
      He didn't. You just fall for his cheap compliments. He outplayed us with a low-risk-strategy. They had 3 realistic goal chances, we had 0. In a normal world City leaves Anfield with 3 points, and in a normal world Chelsea wins last week and we'd have 3 consecutive losses. We just have 20 points because we got lucky, the same luck we missed last season. We just don't play well. Jürgen needs to realize we're in trouble before the trouble becomes obvious in the league table.

:roll:

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #409: Oct 08, 2018 12:23:31 pm

Swear I’ve read same post from same poster about half a dozen times since full time.

We need to play better and more expansively. We will.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #410: Oct 08, 2018 12:31:02 pm
      Pep set his team up well yesterday.
      A front 3 who sat (for the most part) between our midfield and defense, but didn't press much.
      Sterling and Mahrez dropping deep to make a 5 man midfield at times.
      3 narrow (ish) players all playing in a holding position.

It was designed purely to stop us.
      I wouldn't go so far as to say parking the bus, but it's the closest city will come to it, and apart from the first 15 mins or so, it worked.

Tactically, we won't have many tougher games this season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,912 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #411: Oct 08, 2018 01:41:21 pm
      No I haven't got that one wrong and the stats nearly always show Hendo in a good light. They DO NOT tell the full story. He wasn't on blob today. I don't knock Hendo as a rule because I know what he offers and today he didn't show for the ball from the back 4. Normally he does and I defend him against others who say he should be doing more and being a bigger influence.

If you watch the game again. To be fair we probably won't but if you do you will see what I'm getting at. I marked him down because his normal game was not up to scratch...no matter what the stats say. Klopp drops him for a reason and it's mostly because he doesn't get it on to the front foot quick enough. It wasn't that clear to others that Hendo didn't play well. I know that. I know others will call me out. But nevertheless Hendo was off blob today. His worst game for a long time. To be fair City did pass us to death at times but if Alison and the back 4 want to play out of defence Hendo has to make more space to take control and get it forward to feet. He started well but like quite a few today, he faded and looked tired.

My opinion...clearly not yours..

Mate, do yourself a favour and shut the F**k up, that hole your digging is growing each time you post, stop now cos your spouting enough sh*te to fill it,
      I'm not Hendo's biggest fan but he did play well yesterday and on another day would have been motm,

Most will say the same, don't disappear up your own arse on a arguement you won't win !!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #412: Oct 08, 2018 03:46:29 pm
      Also of all the teams outside the top six, you could argue that Crystal Palace and Leicester away are both two of the hardest places to go.

Very true I forgot about those 2.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #413: Oct 08, 2018 04:10:34 pm

I'm not Hendo's biggest fan but he did play well yesterday and on another day would have been motm,

He did, but his style is too passive and horizontal. We need a guy with the desire to see the ball going vertical, a guy that has the desire to score his own goals and the ability to make something happen, kind of like Ox or Shaq. Either Henderson knows his limitations and stays with his style or Jürgen even demands that kind of defensive midfielder from him. Either way it doesn't work against top sides.

Quick Reply