Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (10.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      13 (11.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      32 (27.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      11 (9.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (5.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      20 (17.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      21 (18.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Voting closed: Oct 11, 2018 06:22:04 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21516 times
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Oct 08, 2018 04:26:19 pm
      He did, but his style is too passive and horizontal. We need a guy with the desire to see the ball going vertical, a guy that has the desire to score his own goals and the ability to make something happen, kind of like Ox or Shaq. Either Henderson knows his limitations and stays with his style or Jürgen even demands that kind of defensive midfielder from him. Either way it doesn't work against top sides.
      The entire system is built around winning the ball and hitting teams early in transition. Teams have for the most part sat back.

It is also not Henderson's job to break down defenses if he is playing deep. His job is to shield the back line and keep the ball moving. It would be great if he played the more adventurous ball from time to time. The job of making things tick in the final third falls on the other midfielders and they have all struggled for the better part of the season with that aspect of the game.

In Keita and Fabinho you have two midfielders who cost close to £97M who have not adapted. The latter has started one game in a trophy that has the least significance. These are the players that were brought in to change the outlook of how the team played from a pressing heavy team to one that could beat teams sitting deep. Even Ox is more a transition player more than he is a playmaker.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #415: Oct 08, 2018 04:45:25 pm
      Went for Gomez for motm . He just gets better every game
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #416: Oct 08, 2018 04:50:19 pm

He was good........ well apart from the almost assist to Aguero  :D
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #417: Oct 08, 2018 05:09:23 pm
      The entire system is built around winning the ball and hitting teams early in transition. Teams have for the most part sat back.

Klopp's system of "winning the ball and hitting teams" is virtually worthless if he has no answer to what he pushes opponents into, i.e. sitting back. Systems work if they create a dilemma for the opponent, choosing between a rock and a hard place. In Liverpool's case it's simple nowadays: sit back and relax. If it wasn't for some chunk of luck Chelsea, Napoli and City would have beaten us with this strategy and it will continue to succeed till Jürgen finds a solution.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #418: Oct 08, 2018 05:10:45 pm

Was Trent injured or why Gomez for him? I think Gomez didn't reach Trent's performance level, but then maybe Jürgen wanted to play more defensively.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #419: Oct 08, 2018 05:16:33 pm

I thought he came onto a great game but his distribution was woefully slow first 20.....

Credit to him though he recovered.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #420: Oct 08, 2018 06:11:18 pm
      He did, but his style is too passive and horizontal. We need a guy with the desire to see the ball going vertical, a guy that has the desire to score his own goals and the ability to make something happen, kind of like Ox or Shaq. Either Henderson knows his limitations and stays with his style or Jürgen even demands that kind of defensive midfielder from him. Either way it doesn't work against top sides.

Henderson plays to his instructions.
      Exactly to his instructions.

You think players just rock up on matchday and do their own thing?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #421: Oct 08, 2018 06:24:29 pm
      People just forgot about Lallana? Granted had his injuries but not long ago was England's go to player and a very important player
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #422: Oct 08, 2018 06:27:43 pm
      Think Jürgen is a big fan of Lallana so if he gets fit he will get game time and it is another player who gives us options
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #423: Oct 08, 2018 07:06:08 pm
      Would've settled for a point before the game given our recent form, so wasn't too disappointed.
      Plus when they miss a peno near the end, can't really complain.
      Gave Dejan MOTM - was worried when I saw him in the starting XI, but he did really well. And Gomez did well at RB. Jürgen got that change right I think.
      Up front we couldn't hit a barn door, and OK - against City can see why you might go with the tried and trusted regardless of form - but hope to see more of Studge and Shaq if Bob and Mo continue to struggle a bit.
      Hopefully Milner isn't too bad.

Was hoping Keita was going to be the player to break forward with the ball and find space - and also be someone to 'get stuck into' the opposition - hasn't been doing it much yet, but early days. Whatever about Cou's weakness in defense, he was able to find balls for the front men, and we lack that with Gini/Hendo/Milly. So unlucky to be without Ox, and Fabinho isn't going to be that player.

Need the front lads to find their form soon. We've had a great start to the season and we're in contention, but if this is going to be our season in the PL, Mo needs to rediscover his touch/confidence, and Bob needs to nick a few goals. Tough call for Jürgen - they need games to get the sharpness, but we can't afford to drop points, and personally would like to see more of Studge, and Shaq who looks hungry [and both maybe better options at set pieces]

Long way to go, so far so good...
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #424: Oct 08, 2018 09:39:00 pm
      Whatever about Cou's weakness in defense, he was able to find balls for the front men, and we lack that with Gini/Hendo/Milly. So unlucky to be without Ox, and Fabinho isn't going to be that player.

Anyone who could help us and is realistically possible for January? Is Fekir such a playmaker?

I really hoped Keita and Fabinho would settle quicker, but apparently they need time, just like Shaq.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #425: Oct 08, 2018 09:47:51 pm
      Anyone who could help us and is realistically possible for January? Is Fekir such a playmaker?

I really hoped Keita and Fabinho would settle quicker, but apparently they need time, just like Shaq.

We should look into signing, Messi, Isco, Hazard, Dybala, Neymar, or even try to resign Coutinho, what do you think?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #426: Oct 08, 2018 09:48:28 pm
      Shaqiri can do it, he's no more of a weakness in defense than Coutinho was.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #427: Oct 08, 2018 10:57:27 pm
      Surprised at that mate.

Last season I thought Trent was exceptional against Sane and he had him in his pocket in the CL games.

Gomez played a game against city at full back too where he misjudged a cross field pass that Sane got in behind and they ended up scoring!

Trent needed a rest but I was shitting myself at Gomez playing right back. Thankfully Sane wasn't playing though.

Gomez and Lovren were fine yesterday but in future I'd much prefer clyne coming in as a straight swap for Trent and keeping joe at centre half.

It's hard to criticise either joe or Lovren after yesterday's game but I still feel if we see that defensive line up again then it'll cost us at some point.

Yeah I know mate, Trent did have lots of players in his pocket last year but I just thought coming up against those 2, I wanted someone who is actually gonna sit back and defend that channel. I was hoping Clyne got a game as well but wasn't too upset when I saw Joe there. Was only for that game mate, back to normal with Trent, he's had a rest, felt a bit sorry for him as it was his Birthday and he said more then anything he wanted to help the team get the 3 points on his Birthday but he never got on the pitch.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #428: Oct 08, 2018 10:57:42 pm

It is also not Henderson's job to break down defenses if he is playing deep. His job is to shield the back line and keep the ball moving. It would be great if he played the more adventurous ball from time to time. The job of making things tick in the final third falls on the other midfielders and they have all struggled for the better part of the season with that aspect of the game.

In Keita and Fabinho you have two midfielders who cost close to £97M who have not adapted. The latter has started one game in a trophy that has the least significance. These are the players that were brought in to change the outlook of how the team played from a pressing heavy team to one that could beat teams sitting deep. Even Ox is more a transition player more than he is a playmaker.
      Wait!! Who let out shark (snap,snap,snap,snap,snap) Well come back Mr shark
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018 11:02:41 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #429: Oct 08, 2018 11:58:30 pm
      City only had 51% possession the lowest under Pep.

I think the argument would be that last seasons eventual title winners hammered us 5-0 at their ground. I don't think the draw was a bad result but neither did we lay down a statement.

We've had a good start but we're not the finished article.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #430: Oct 09, 2018 09:17:03 am
      I think the argument would be that last seasons eventual title winners hammered us 5-0 at their ground. I don't think the draw was a bad result but neither did we lay down a statement.

What happened in the other 3 games we had against them last season, what happened to that statement? The 5-0 was a freak game, where we were thrown completely off balance by Mane's red card.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #431: Oct 09, 2018 03:57:41 pm

We played them 4x last season and beat them 3 out of 4, and the 1 we lost, in which we were down to 10 men for a big part of it, is the one you use as your argument? this makes no sense ???

One worrying thing is that once again we could not kill off the game and if not for Mahrez sending one into orbit we would have given up another costly goal in the 80+ minute. This has to get straightened out.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #432: Oct 09, 2018 04:04:42 pm
      We played them 4x last season and beat them 3 out of 4, and the 1 we lost, in which we were down to 10 men for a big part of it, is the one you use as your argument? this makes no sense ???

One worrying thing is that once again we could not kill off the game and if not for Mahrez sending one into orbit we would have given up another costly goal in the 80+ minute. This has to get straightened out.

That doesn’t mean - against a top side - that by failing to win next time we’ve gone backwards.......

We got the jump on them last year - how they wanted to play (and had them blowing everyone else away) was straight into our hands.

With the quality they have on AND off the park it was always gonna be different this season.

Doesn’t mean we won’t / can’t beat them again just means we need to adjust as well.

Once he forward line clicks we’ll be grand.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #433: Oct 09, 2018 05:07:57 pm
      Killing off a game is when you're 1 or 2 goals up and in control, we were never in control after the first 20 mins and rarely threatened to score, so not sure that we had anything TO kill off?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #434: Oct 09, 2018 05:30:53 pm
      Killing off a game is when you're 1 or 2 goals up and in control, we were never in control after the first 20 mins and rarely threatened to score, so not sure that we had anything TO kill off?

I don't think of killing off a game as only being the case when in a winning position. We can kill off a game when we are tied and need to protect that point. When we were in Italy we needed to kill off the game and leave with a valuable point, but we coughed it up in the 90th minute and yesterday we made another mistake late in the game that if not for an awful PK from Mahrez we drop a point and City pick up 3 on us.

We gave up a goal in the 94th to Lamela that if not for a missed PK call on Mane we blow the lead. We gave up a goal to Mbappe in the 83rd minute to blow a 2-0 lead and needed Firmino in extra time to get us the win. In Carabao Cup we gave up the winning goal in the 85th.

A trend is there that needs fixing asap.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #435: Oct 09, 2018 05:31:05 pm
      Some interesting stuff there for those who care to read.....

https://www.coachesvoice.com/tactical-analysis-liverpool-0-manchester-city-0/
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #436: Oct 09, 2018 05:45:06 pm
      Henderson plays to his instructions.
      Exactly to his instructions.

You think players just rock up on matchday and do their own thing?

Ah so it's Jürgen who says go out and play like sh*te and don't get involved in the game then. 

See, I always thought it was Hendo. Oh that's alright then, I'll get off his back now.

Quick Reply