Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Huddersfield?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      29 (27.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (2.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      15 (14%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (4.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      5 (4.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      25 (23.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      19 (17.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: Oct 24, 2018 07:24:26 pm

Huddersfield Town 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18698 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Huddersfield Town 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Oct 21, 2018 09:55:16 am
      Lovren played fine no issues with the defence.

So far so good for Dejan this season. Was bit surprised to see him slot back into CB recently with Joe doing so well, but he's also done well. Fair play to him.
      Bit of a reverse for us, with the defenders the ones doing great, and the lads up front the ones misfiring.
      Looking forward to when they're all hitting their stride :)
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #323: Oct 21, 2018 09:55:55 am
      Christ - someone like my post - I don't like that number !!!!!  >:D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #324: Oct 21, 2018 10:06:55 am
      Christ - someone like my post - I don't like that number !!!!!  >:D

Done
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #325: Oct 21, 2018 10:13:40 am
      First game back after sh*t internationals..That’s what I putting it as..

The Chelsea manager also said the first game after the international break is always difficult. Who cares we won and took 3 more points.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #326: Oct 21, 2018 10:38:02 am
      I'm a little concerned even with the win. There has been articles over the last few days about how Liverpool's press has reduced.

We still have problems with controlling games and getting possession, like away to Sevilla last season, Napoli this season. We should be getting at least high 60% possession away to Huddersifled, we got just over 50%. Man City and Tottenham (and perhaps Chelsea) would have had near to 70% of the ball and restricted Huddersfield to few chances.

I thought Fabinho did quite well coming on and defensively solid as usual. Salah looked sharper, and Shaq had a good game.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #327: Oct 21, 2018 10:43:53 am
      Mate I'm apologise picking only this part of your post. But as the club like us aiming for title winning and at this stage of Klopp's project, missing few key players and we struggling against the 19th team is something to worry about, IMO.

I'm really confident before game we can win this, and delight we won. We have luck by our side the ref not give them a pen (Milner) and maybe their disallow goal not offside but even so I still think we can up our game to get a win.     

Great thing is Mo got the goal he really need, a lot more to continue hopefully.  Disappoint thing is Lovren still look the same player who can make our back fragile at some point in the game.

No worries, each to his own opinion. Our midfield is a bit of a mambo jumbo at the moment. Dont think our midfielders are world class i any way but certainly above average and Klopp having too many options at the moment and he could be trying out different options at the moment. Mo moving more centrally is a very welcome move. Did anyone notice Mo score with his right foot while his left is having a break. If his right foot is as lethal as his left, defenders will be having nightmares. 
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #328: Oct 21, 2018 11:00:23 am
      Huddersfield huffed and puffed and I think that's the best they could come up with while we were at our mediocre worst. I always envied Ferguson for managing to get those 1-0 wins, especially on the back of some heavy defeat. With the defence leaking all those goals last year, and to see the team concede only 3 times (one of which was that freak goal against Leicester), this is nothing short of a miracle. It must be a while since I felt so assured of the defence and except for one heart in the mouth moment in the game, I felt confident in our ability to defend a 1 goal lead. That is some achievement by Jürgen!

I guess the frustration yesterday would have been the inability to score more goals (Bobby's miss at the end, Salah's miss after a wonderful take) and to put the game to bed. It looked like a combination of complacence and fatigue.

With both the teams similarly placed in the CL, City plays Spurs, Southampton, United and West Ham in the league while we play Cardiff, Arsenal, Fulham and Watford. And, we have a full week's rest before the Arsenal game. I expect City to drop some points.

We are light years away from our best. But, we are still unbeaten and joint top, which is very exciting.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #329: Oct 21, 2018 11:12:00 am
      Similar goals scored at this point compared to last season but we’re joint top and 10 points better off (we were 9th after 9 games)

That puts it into perspective
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #330: Oct 21, 2018 11:35:11 am
      Would love to see a Mo goal today

Granted.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #331: Oct 21, 2018 11:48:47 am
      Another good 3 points, and we are showing some good resilience to grind out results.  City are playing much better than us at the moment, but we are still keeping pace.  We all know that when it clicks we will kick on.

Salah looked much better, and took his goal well.  Shaq was pretty effective as well, and fits in with our style.  Great to see Danny get the minutes as well
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #332: Oct 21, 2018 11:51:45 am
      First game back after sh*t internationals..That’s what I putting it as..

Gotta have some reaction to the sh*t internationals, Mo took a knock while playing for Egypt and his body language didn't look too good yesterday - just one example.
      Mane might need surgery to the hand injury he copped for.
      Must do Klopp's head in, what can he do when the players feel honoured and obligated to play for their country.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #333: Oct 21, 2018 01:40:18 pm
      Got in
      Got the goal
      Got clean sheet
      Got three points
      Got out.

I've lost count of the amount of times, posters crying about not grinding out big 1-0 wins away from home when we need to. They're still crying about them now even when we get them.

This was a banana skin game, with 3 players out injured, against a stubborn opponent who took City to the wire there last season and beat the mancs 12 months ago. It was never going to be a tiki taka extravaganza and it wasn't, but it doesn't matter now. We got what we wanted, and it's 4 wins out of 5 on the road.

This could be a big 3 points. Beat Cardiff next week and we go 3 points clear, for 24 hours. Stop moaning ffs. There are plenty of clubs who would love to be where we are.
      Here is my concern...
      We are not creating the chances, let alone scoring from many of them. We have players for what ever reason not firing at present. And yes I to mentioned that this would not be an easy game, and Yes we fielded a weaken side, but what if we were facing more capable opposition yes today, sides that were not struggling for form at present... Yes at full strength we may well have put 3 or more past them, but we too are struggling to find form, and with injuries to plays we will be extremely luck to go a full season with out sum major injuries not occurring to key players, and what we have as back up is struggling now, and lack game time...

The three points is welcomed, but we need to get creative following  supply to the front three and bring in some real quality in the next window, and in the meantime pray we do not lose a key player to long term injury
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #334: Oct 21, 2018 01:42:01 pm
      Difference between lallana and Shaqiri being Shaqiri makes the final all important pass while lallana is showboating all the way with not much end result to show all these years.

^^^
      This allday
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #335: Oct 21, 2018 02:29:16 pm
      Get a different feeling when we're one up nowadays, not the usual one of panic.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #336: Oct 21, 2018 02:35:53 pm
      Get a different feeling when we're one up nowadays, not the usual one of panic.

Glad you weren't shitting yourself at 1 nil last night because when both vvd and lovren missed that cross towards the end i certainly did
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #337: Oct 21, 2018 05:29:29 pm
      just watching Everton, now you would have something to moan about if you had to watch this sh*te all the time.

I would imagine there will be quite a long post match debate at Melwood some of the passing was as bad as I can ever remember thankfully we have such a solid defence now we can win games 1-0
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #338: Oct 21, 2018 11:00:09 pm
      Made up with the three points, but like most, worried about our level of performance.
      When we attacked, they had plenty of cover most of the time. When they attacked, we were often chasing them down, rather than facing them up !
      Think we’ve lost a bit of fluency in the middle of the park and our attacks are being smothered rather than flowing into the spaces.
      A bit too slow getting the ball forward, coupled with an off form strike force. Not controlling the ball as deftly as we have, and also misplacing hurried passes.
      The press has been compromised somewhat, and certainly isn’t what it was last season, probably down to a tactical tweek.
      All said and done, we’re joint top, and will get better. Just hope we can stay undefeated until we get out of this rut.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #339: Oct 22, 2018 01:18:29 pm
      very happy with the result.  This was one of those games we would have dropped points a couple of years ago. Our performances will improve, but for now lets just keep grinding out results.

YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #340: Oct 22, 2018 01:37:10 pm
      Huddersfield played very well.
      They pressed us hard, and cut down our passing lanes, limiting our options.
      I suspect Klopp knew this was going to happen which is why he played Shaqiri deeper as a runner to break the Huddersfield midfield line and get between them and defense.
      It worked to an extent, because we created a few good chances, and with better finishing could have put 3 or 4 past them.

3 points is all that matters.
      We go again.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #341: Oct 22, 2018 03:19:11 pm
      Good result but yet another poor performance.

Plusses being Gomez getting better & better, Shaqiri's first touch in tight spaces under pressure, Lallana getting some game time, showing some nice first touches & Salah finding the back of the
      net after his mini-drought.

Keita & Fabhino need to get up to speed quickly as we're approaching November and they need to start re-paying the investment in them.

Sturridge is far better an impact substitute for 20-30 mins than he is a starter.

We need to sort right back out as we're disrupting a solid partnership to compensate.

Hopefully the attacking performances start re-appearing quickly, or as has been alluded to earlier, the results will start to reflect the performances.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #342: Oct 22, 2018 04:38:07 pm
      Huddersfield played very well.
      They pressed us hard, and cut down our passing lanes, limiting our options.
      I suspect Klopp knew this was going to happen which is why he played Shaqiri deeper as a runner to break the Huddersfield midfield line and get between them and defense.
      It worked to an extent, because we created a few good chances, and with better finishing could have put 3 or 4 past them.

3 points is all that matters.
      We go again.

I think we've spoken about this a bit now but Shaqiri was doing what the team hasn't done in a while,
      link between midfield and attack, shown in his assist. Up until now it's been Firmino dropping deep,
      which a lot of teams have worked on blocking off. Nice to see this option used.
      Would be even better if it can be used more often against teams that try to frustrate the front 3
      and close off those passing lanes.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #343: Oct 22, 2018 06:13:42 pm
      I think we've spoken about this a bit now but Shaqiri was doing what the team hasn't done in a while,
      link between midfield and attack, shown in his assist. Up until now it's been Firmino dropping deep,
      which a lot of teams have worked on blocking off. Nice to see this option used.
      Would be even better if it can be used more often against teams that try to frustrate the front 3
      and close off those passing lanes.

It's the running option that is most important for me, and Shaqiri is a bit like Ox in that regard.
      Milner can do the defensive work high up and pick a pass, but he's not a particularly strong runner that breaks the lines.
      Shaqiri on the other hand is a powerful runner, but pretty bad defensively.
      Ox is a combination of good defense and strong running.
      Keita will be another option when he gets up to speed.

It's the running from a deeper position that unsettles opposition defenses, and leaves gaps for the front 3 to exploit.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #344: Oct 22, 2018 11:55:21 pm
      Apologies for missing Fabinho out on the MOTM by the way.  Must have missed that sub during the game.  Normal service will be resumed for Wednesday. 

P.S. Was he any good?

Quick Reply