Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Cardiff?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (0.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      7 (6.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      6 (5.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      24 (21.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      65 (57.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      10 (8.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Oct 31, 2018 03:51:17 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20917 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Oct 27, 2018 05:52:05 pm
      He wasn't sloppy or a bag of nerves for the first 15 mins, he only had 3 moments ( I watched the game a few times :D)where he got caught out twice and 1 bad pass, that's it, but other than that, he was winning balls and passing well.

Anyway, he, along with Wijnaldum have given us a new dimension in midfield, we are more fluid and commanding in midfield, but will be interesting to see if Klopp will revert back to the more familiar option of Hendo and Milner when they are fully fit.

get caught out twice against City and its game over. Its clear JĂźrgen hasn't rushed him in because he wasn't ready I expect he thinks he is now and will only improve which is great news for us and bad news for Arsenal next week. He reminds me a bit of Viera only a better footballer if that makes sense.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #323: Oct 27, 2018 06:10:32 pm
      get caught out twice against City and its game over. Its clear JĂźrgen hasn't rushed him in because he wasn't ready I expect he thinks he is now and will only improve which is great news for us and bad news for Arsenal next week. He reminds me a bit of Viera only a better footballer if that makes sense.

If he gets anywhere near Vieras level we will have some player in there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #324: Oct 27, 2018 06:11:10 pm
      Special mention for Mane

We're all chuffed for Salah smiling again and Shaq getting his first in front of the Kop, but that's another two goals from Mane and one in the week.

Solid player and long may it continue

Thought Salah was man of the match though, with FABinho a close second.

Mane just keeps on keeping on. Isn't that right Mane

Never quits running and two high-quality finishes. What more can you ask? (I know, THREE high-quality finishes  ;D ).
      Spot on.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #325: Oct 27, 2018 06:12:20 pm
      Did not see the sloppiness today either. Firmino definitely who lost the ball from deep a few times but Fabinho? He coasted through the game with no dramas.

A few misplaced passes, no drama, it happens when trying to force a pass against bus parkers with massed ranks, he had a decent game.
      I'm a bit worried by how easily their winger (who then got injured I think) went past him, but TAA was there to cover, so no drama.

Salah my MOTM and looks like he's hitting his stride at more or less the same point he did last season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #326: Oct 27, 2018 06:12:41 pm
      Love the new double pivot in midfield with players who can move the ball quickly with a sharp pass or run with it.

So...Fab and Gini to start back there next week for you?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #327: Oct 27, 2018 06:17:34 pm

True, but not like Fabinho screwed up in key areas, but I do agree, he needs to be sharper.

Viera is a good shout!!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #328: Oct 27, 2018 06:19:17 pm
      You people do realize that we are still not seeing the front three at 100%...?

Shaqiri...
      Makes picking out team mate with pinpoint passes so natural. Does it all most without breaking stride and so effortlessly... Klopp has re- invented Shaqiri in the Schweinsteiger...

If we can get Keita playing in the fashion he was bought for then look out the Premier league, No look out Europe

I know Keita had a knock today, but Gini has been keeping him out of the team. I wouldn't make that change at the moment. Now that most forward midfield spot may be the place for Naby, but of course Milner contends there (and Klopp loves Lallana, although Adam is a notch or two below these others, for me). Shaq will continue to be utilized mainly off the bench, either at a-mid or mostly forward.

But again, Fab and Gini together right now are golden - wouldn't change that for Arsenal by any means.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #329: Oct 27, 2018 06:20:23 pm
      True, but not like Fabinho screwed up in key areas, but I do agree, he needs to be sharper.

Viera is a good shout!!!

I like Fabinho too, but....let's hold off a little on the coronation. How many matches has he started for us again?  :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #330: Oct 27, 2018 06:27:47 pm
      I remember back to the last time we played Cardiff at Anfield which was just before Christmas 2013, a mere 6 days after gutting Spurs 5-0. Thinking back to that game I remembered a performance of slick aggression with a couple of typically sumptuous goals from Luis Suarez meaning we were top over Christmas (I think). And yet compared to today we only won 3-1 and had 11% less of the ball while conceding 5 times the amount of shots on goal as we did today. Today I was a bit irritant - demanding so much more from us and at times a bit bored. And yet there was absolutely no reason to be like that. We controlled it easily, even at 2-1, and the result was never in doubt against a similarly poor Cardiff as the one from 2013/14. It's amazing how perception can paint a glossier finish on a more inferior result than the one today where we were superior on basically all indicators. But back then we were coming from somewhere much further back and there was still a novelty of winning games comfortably and scoring handsome goals after years of treading through filthy bog so I guess that's where the misperception is sourced from.

It's also interesting to note that not one player from that 3-1 victory appeared in the first eleven today and seeing some of the names (Mignolet, Johnson Skrtel, Flanagan) we are quite fortunate in that respect. Safe to assume that the standard of the league has increased tenfold in 5 years - we probably would be struggling to get top 4 with that team today despite the peak brilliance of Suarez and Sturridge. Even in the season where we just missed out on the title, it's amazing to see how far we've come since then (not before the horrifying dip of the following season though which shamelessly squandered all of the good will built up in that thrilling year).

I think (and I hope) the 'boredom' comes from an ability to now actually control the pace of the game and suck some life and energy out of it at the expense of seeking and further stoking a fevered atmosphere. We've struggled to suck the life out of the game for a lot of the time Klopp has managed us but the more measured pace is now ensuring a more stable atmosphere, more stable performance from the first minute to last. For sure, our exhilarating, no holds barred approach that typified our best play under Rodgers and Klopp (certainly during his first season) gets the juices flowing and the optimism going but such a style was just as culpable for blowing back on us in spectacular style as we had no calm mentality to counter moments when the opposition got back into the game - like that Bournemouth match two years ago or the death throes of our title chase at Crystal Palace in 2014. Safe to say I was a lot more entertained during our opening 10 games in 2013/2014 and 2016/2017 even though we had less points on the board. But when the results are there like they are now, who cares about 'exhileration'?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #331: Oct 27, 2018 06:30:29 pm
      But again, Fab and Gini together right now are golden - wouldn't change that for Arsenal by any means.

I tell you what, I wouldn't be against throwing Keita in (if fit) over Fabinho. I find a lot of how Fabinho has been playing last 2 games is tailor made for Keita to play to his strengths.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #332: Oct 27, 2018 06:30:57 pm
      Another game which was never in doubt. After years of heart attacks during every opposition attack, anybody else finding this a little dull.  ;)
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #333: Oct 27, 2018 07:08:31 pm
      I know Keita had a knock today, but Gini has been keeping him out of the team. I wouldn't make that change at the moment. Now that most forward midfield spot may be the place for Naby, but of course Milner contends there (and Klopp loves Lallana, although Adam is a notch or two below these others, for me). Shaq will continue to be utilized mainly off the bench, either at a-mid or mostly forward.

Why not give Shaq a more prominent role than playing him as a disguised striker? I see Gini-Fab-Shaq as our deadliest midfield. Milner is serviceable, but nothing more and Keita is not PL-ready, made a lot of mistakes the last games he was playing plus he's not 100%.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #334: Oct 27, 2018 07:21:24 pm
      Why not give Shaq a more prominent role than playing him as a disguised striker? I see Gini-Fab-Shaq as our deadliest midfield. Milner is serviceable, but nothing more and Keita is not PL-ready, made a lot of mistakes the last games he was playing plus he's not 100%.

You wouldn’t have Shaqiri in the midfield against the top teams - it’s not in his game to be disciplined and track back all day - and he is more a forward who likes to drop deep and get involved - pick the ball and attack into the back line from a wider area.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #335: Oct 27, 2018 07:23:58 pm
      It was a good showing from the guys, big thing for me it seems like Salah is find his stride which is important for us going forward and Shairi continues to be impact player for us, seems to be the only one to play those "ding" balls over a defender or into open space for one of the attackers to run on. Though I didn't think Mane had a great game but nice to see his finishing boots were on today, both chances he took very well.

Disappointed we couldn't keep the clean sheet but reality is once Cardiff City got little hope in getting a draw they open up little bit which allow us to cut them apart and score 2 more goals.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #336: Oct 27, 2018 07:24:59 pm
      I was hesitant about Shaqiri when we signed him. I thought he would be more of a bench player and FA cup starter league cup player. But hes really impressed.  Hes a little dynamo and fights for every possession. Hes becoming a integral piece and I love his work rate.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #337: Oct 27, 2018 08:10:08 pm
      I was hesitant about Shaqiri when we signed him. I thought he would be more of a bench player and FA cup starter league cup player. But hes really impressed.  Hes a little dynamo and fights for every possession. Hes becoming a integral piece and I love his work rate.

In fairness, he's had a tough few years. Being coached by Mark Hughes and having to play alongside Ryan Shawcross amongst other 'footballers'.

He should never have found himself playing for that club and alongside those players.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #338: Oct 27, 2018 08:23:09 pm
      You wouldn’t have Shaqiri in the midfield against the top teams - it’s not in his game to be disciplined and track back all day - and he is more a forward who likes to drop deep and get involved - pick the ball and attack into the back line from a wider area.
      Very sh*t post. No matter what attacking midfielder we have, it's difficult for them to to track back all day all game. If we're playing attacking football we take the game to their half and track back less anyway. What's important is Gini and Fabinho track back more often. Fabinho, Gini and Shaqiri are the most balanced midfield I've seen here. I'm sure if we had that against Barcelona, there is no better combination we could put out instead.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2018 08:34:04 pm by Ribapuru »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #339: Oct 27, 2018 08:31:40 pm
      Very sh*t post. No matter what attacking midfielder we have, it's difficult for them to to track back "all day". You must mean "all game". If we're playing attacking football we take the game to their half and track back less anyway. What's important is Gini and Fabinho track back more often. Fabinho, Gini and Shaqiri are the most balanced midfield I've seen here. I'm sure if we had that against Barcelona, there is no better combination we could put out instead.

Christ you are clueless as well as shithouse supporter

You can’t go in against Someone like City or Madrid with Shaqiri in the middle of the park - he just isn’t that sort of player to get stuck in and battle against another three in the middle - you need a couple of box to box guys plus a guy sitting - not a guy who thrives on a free type role. That’s why he was brought off in one game a while back. Shaqiri is a turning out to be a superb player and will play many games for us but won’t be starting week in week out and in bigger games he may well be playing as part of a front three depending on form and injuries

And I wasn’t “quick” to defend Moreno - I called you a shithouse disgrace of a fan (you aren’t a supporter ) because you wanted a Liverpool player to play badly.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #340: Oct 27, 2018 08:40:31 pm
      Gone got Salah motm but again, could have been any of six.
      We are starting to look like a complete team again, with quality back up.
      Think Fabinho is s great addition to our side, but if fit Keita might be the better option against the arse.
      We struggled for a while to get the second breakthrough, but it seamed to improve after they scored because they thought they had a chance and pushed out a bit.
      The arse are not gonna sit back and park the bus, not st home, and I think welll see our devastating attack flow next week.
      Can hardly wait 😁
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #341: Oct 27, 2018 08:41:04 pm
      Tell ye what, it’s a bit of a shock when we concede these days. Scrappy goal though, their first touch in our box as well I think. Hard luck from our perspective. In truth Moreno didn’t do too bad today however I don’t see Robertson getting beat like he did for the build up to that goal.

Went for 4-0 in the prediction league but said in earlier in this thread it may be 4-1 with Moreno being culpable in some way for their goal. So I guess what I’m saying is that if anyone wants their fortunes told, I’m taking requests.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #342: Oct 27, 2018 08:46:06 pm
      You can’t go in against Someone like City or Madrid with Shaqiri in the middle of the park - he just isn’t that sort of player to get stuck in and battle against another three in the middle - you need a couple of box to box guys plus a guy sitting - not a guy who thrives on a free type role. That’s why he was brought off in one game a while back. Shaqiri is a turning out to be a superb player and will play many games for us but won’t be starting week in week out and in bigger games he may well be playing as part of a front three depending on form and injuries

I agree if we play a 433 (with Shaq part of the midfield), but a 4231 could be just as strong, if not stronger, especially with the technical midfielders (who are no slouches) we currently have in the squad.

Whilst we would probably be lesser on the industrial side, we will gain technically and would have a better chance of taking control of the middle, playing more in their half and reducing them to counters.

It's all about the balance, and if we can get the balance right in midfield and throughout the team, we can play a more offensive minded midfielder vs stronger teams.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #343: Oct 27, 2018 08:56:19 pm
      Christ you are clueless as well as shithouse supporter
      I think you are clueless too.
      That free role is what pegs teams back, that's what Coutinho did well and that's why Barca paid to 150m. I'm very sure Coutinho will play against top sides for Barca even though he's awful in defense because they have other midfielders tracking back. If you want 3 defensive midfielders you should like Mourinho. I'm sure you'd like Henderson, Gini and Fabinho sitting in the middle and having a repeat of Napoli... against top sides we need a player that pulls defenders away from strikers... Shaqiri in the free role makes it hard for defenders to man mark our strikers, however Shaqiri is defensively better than Coutinho, for an attacking midfielder he gets stuck in as well as expected. To say this type of player shouldn't feature against top sides doesn't sit well with me. We aren't a park the bus side!
      And I wasn’t “quick” to defend Moreno - I called you a shithouse disgrace of a fan (you aren’t a supporter ) because you wanted a Liverpool player to play badly.
      It's rare for me, but I have no patience for Moreno or Mignolet. If Moreno played okay today Klopp may have picked him in a bigger game that cost us big! Imagine losing points or a CL exit due to a Moreno blunder.. I'm just happy Moreno played sh*t and reminded Klopp why he shouldn't be trusted.

If I said I wouldn't have Henderson against the top teams you get in a fit, however at least I'm making that call after hundreds of games... You just make a judgement on hundreds of minutes.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #344: Oct 27, 2018 08:56:35 pm
      I agree if we play a 433 (with Shaq part of the midfield), but a 4231 could be just as strong, if not stronger, especially with the technical midfielders (who are no slouches) we currently have in the squad.

Whilst we would probably be lesser on the industrial side, we will gain technically and would have a better chance of taking control of the middle, playing more in their half and reducing them to counters.

It's all about the balance, and if we can get the balance right in midfield and throughout the team, we can play a more offensive minded midfielder vs stronger teams.

One of the criticisms aimed towards Klopp was that he didn’t have a plan B - but he is showing that when he gets the players he wants in then he can adapt the tactics to suit the players and the opposition - he will imo go for a more solid midfield against the stronger opposition but knowing that he has the options on the bench to be able change formation and tactics with players like Sturridge and Shaqiri being key to that

Quick Reply