Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Cardiff?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (0.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      7 (6.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      6 (5.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      24 (21.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      65 (57.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      10 (8.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Oct 31, 2018 03:51:17 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20543 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Oct 28, 2018 01:15:32 am
      In depth analysis at it's finest.

"They should both run up and down".

:roll:
      sideways too
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #369: Oct 28, 2018 01:21:10 am
      I just erred. I was too impatient with Fab. A couple of years ago JĂźrgen complained about City's & PSG's spending sprees, only to do the same this offseason. When asked he answered: I don't care about my gossip from yesterday.

Your yesterdays gossip is your todays bullshit. I.e. no one should ever take you seriously.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #370: Oct 28, 2018 01:22:16 am
      For me the midfield should be one DM, one central and one attacking within a 433 as below.

↑
                          ATM     â†‘
               DM         â†“     CM
                 â†“                     â†“

You see the ATM starts a bit forward.
      The CM and ATM both should run up and down the field, but the DM only should track back.

You mean how it's been done always?
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #371: Oct 28, 2018 01:45:18 am
      Great game, pure domination by Liverpool particularly in the first 45. Cardiff must have gone into the break feeling dizzy. I like the 4-2-3-1 formation though Bobby seemed to have a hard time in that middle AM role. VVD and Lovren were rocks and Fabinho and Gini were tremendous breaking up everything. Good to see Lallana get more game time to help him regain form. Would have been great to see him score that header right before half time. Salah and Mane were beasts and that pass from Mo for Mane's second was sublime. Really weak goal by Alisson who otherwise was mostly a spectator though good job being alert and quick to come off his line to catch balls into the area.

Coming off the international break, Huddersfield, Red Star and Cardiff are exactly what we needed to get us going again with a real tough game at Arsenal coming next.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #372: Oct 28, 2018 04:32:56 am
      Really weird game, we dominated the vast majority of that game but didn't quite click until the last few minutes. I'm still slightly confused by the goal we conceded, obviously poor from Moreno but I'm not sure if it was also a bit poor from Allison but then he was probably half asleep at that point as he had had sod all to do.
      Conclusions are that Moreno is still sh*t, I prefer Gomez to Vvd, prefer Shaq to Lallana, Fabinho looking v good and Sadio and Mo are finally starting to click again.
      All in all 3 good points and an improvement to our goal difference
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #373: Oct 28, 2018 06:51:23 am
      Think it's safe to say now that the days of the fragile mentality are gone now.

We are very solid now. Probably the most solid we've ever been in a long F***ing time.

Teams genuinely fear us now that we don't have a liability at GK or defence.

Great times ahead.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #374: Oct 28, 2018 07:37:37 am

We are very solid now. Probably the most solid we've ever been in a long f**king time.

Great times ahead.

Well done the REDS on another good win,we just have to stay consistent now and bring number 19 home where it belongs at Anfield.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #375: Oct 28, 2018 08:18:41 am

We are very solid now. Probably the most solid we've ever been in a long f**king time.

Great times ahead.
      Yep,I think plenty of us on these boards no longer sh*t ourselves when the opposition gets in our box I know I don't & by the looks of things our back line don't either ,great times ahead indeed.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #376: Oct 28, 2018 08:29:59 am
      Really weird game, we dominated the vast majority of that game but didn't quite click until the last few minutes. I'm still slightly confused by the goal we conceded, obviously poor from Moreno but I'm not sure if it was also a bit poor from Allison but then he was probably half asleep at that point as he had had sod all to do.
      Conclusions are that Moreno is still sh*t, I prefer Gomez to Vvd, prefer Shaq to Lallana, Fabinho looking v good and Sadio and Mo are finally starting to click again.
      All in all 3 good points and an improvement to our goal difference

You want VVD on the bench?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #377: Oct 28, 2018 08:46:03 am
      I'm not going to debate this, not because it's right... It's hideously wrong! But i can't be bothered to argue with people who say comments like "Shaqiri shouldn't feature against top sides".

No one has said “Shaqiri shouldn’t feature against Top sides” - you are trying to read something that isn’t there

Go back and read again what I said

Shaqiri won’t play in the midfield - that doesn’t mean he won’t feature against tbe top side
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #378: Oct 28, 2018 08:50:16 am
      No one has said “Shaqiri shouldn’t feature against Top sides” - you are trying to read something that isn’t there

Go back and read again what I said

Shaqiri won’t play in the midfield - that doesn’t mean he won’t feature against tbe top side

Yawn
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #379: Oct 28, 2018 08:54:43 am

Sorry no, bit of a typo, VVD and Gomez.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #380: Oct 28, 2018 08:58:21 am
      Bring on Arsenal they play football but at about half the pace we do its going to be a feast for the eyes.
      Just seen that was Mo's 33rd goal in 35 games at Anfield . Cardiff could have been a banana skin but the lads done great.
      One other thing Stuart Atwell is not a premier league standard Ref he is useless
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #381: Oct 28, 2018 08:58:59 am
      There’s a difference between ‘won’t feature’ and ‘won’t start’.
      As an impact player to change a game would be one thing but to start Shaqiri against the top sides would be a mistake.
      Why do you believe that...?

As far as I know under Klopp or else where for that matter Shaqiri has never give me the impression that he would struggle against so called "Top Side" and so what if he does not track back at times, and I will stress "At Times", does Mo Salah track back all the time...?

I would start him against both Red Star and Arsenal...

I believe what he brings to the team in attack more than compensates to what we lose with him not always tracking back,plus if we are more potent in attack teams, even "top Team" will have to be that little bit more defensive, which mean that they in turn will be less potent in attack.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2018 09:03:39 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #382: Oct 28, 2018 09:00:16 am
      Bring on Arsenal they play football but at about half the pace we do its going to be a feast for the eyes.
      Just seen that was Mo's 33rd goal in 35 games at Anfield . Cardiff could have been a banana skin but the lads done great.
      One other thing Stuart Atwell is not a premier league standard Ref he is useless

Should be a good game, Arsenal have a very tasty attack at the moment but I still have big question marks over their defence. With our strikers starting to click into gear I fancy us to win the match but please no Moreno as LB!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #383: Oct 28, 2018 09:02:42 am
      I think he can morph into that midfield role pretty easy. He needs someone like Gini and Fab beside him to do the "dirty" job, but that's about it. A guy as skilled as Shaq should touch the ball as much as possible. I think he is our solution for a player like City has in KDB/Silva, Chelsea has in Hazard or Barca has in Messi/Coutinho. No idea what JĂźrgen thinks, maybe he really only sees Shaq as a striker-midfielder hybrid to bring when he wants to maximize offensive pressure, but I do see more in the little swiss bull: I see a white Maradona in the making.
      Agree with most of this except maybe the comparison to Hazard and Messi on the rest I believe you are spot on
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #384: Oct 28, 2018 09:15:37 am
      but I'm not sure if it was also a bit poor from Allison but then he was probably half asleep at that point as he had had sod all to do.

I have always though watching Allison that he seem slow to get down to the ball. But not the case for the goal yes today

It that Gomez over VVD, or Gomez with VVD..??
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #385: Oct 28, 2018 09:46:44 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #386: Oct 28, 2018 09:47:04 am
      You can’t go in against Someone like City or Madrid with Shaqiri in the middle of the park - he just isn’t that sort of player to get stuck in and battle against another three in the middle

Got to say I'm a big fan of Shaqiri but even I agree with this post.  He's also a tad careless with the ball and against the better midfields that loses you the ball and starts an attack. 

He's going to be very involved in 25+ league games a season but there will be some where he is a luxury too far IMO.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #387: Oct 28, 2018 11:30:57 am
      If any of the front 3 need a rest and we have a match have against a top side, he could still slot in the front 3 or as a #10 though right?
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #388: Oct 28, 2018 11:36:25 am
      Got to say, looking at the link up between Mo and Shaq, they can cause a lot of issues for most teams.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #389: Oct 28, 2018 12:23:19 pm
      Got to say, looking at the link up between Mo and Shaq, they can cause a lot of issues for most teams.

Shaq is always buzzing here and there looking to make the final pass while Mo is always running into space to receive the final pass. Its hand in glove. Keita would be another welcome option. What I like about this match is the lads ran deep into the oppo defence that really unsettled them very much. Like the saying goes, once the final ball into the box, what happened after that is random.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #390: Oct 28, 2018 01:12:56 pm
      It's simple really.

Against teams that we know are going to sit deep with massed ranks we play 6 attacking players.
      Basically 4 forwards and 2 full backs, with less cover behind the fullbacks and trying to compress the pitch into the opponents half while also stretching the game.

Against teams that are going to attack us and play a more open game (the "better" teams if you will) we play 3 forwards and use 2 CM to cover behind the fullbacks with 1 spare in the middle, in what people insist on calling the "holding" or "DM" role.

It's a simple tweak of our basic 433 system, but we attack the centre space more using the extra attacker, which in turn gives the FB's out wide a bit of extra space to work in.
      When the defending team has 2 banks close together, 1 of the CM will support either the attacking flank or the attacking centre.

Once again, it's not about the formation, it's about the space we attack, and how we go about it.

Quick Reply