Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      70 (68.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      11 (10.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      6 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (7.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2018 07:22:49 pm

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27112 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Re: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Nov 03, 2018 08:16:46 pm
      Only saw the game on a phone with no sound and gaps where it froze.
      But thought we had the better chances, had a goal disallowed that should've stood, and at 1-0 up Bob and VVD missed very scorable headers to put us 2 up.
      Still don't think we're playing as well as we can/as we did in the 2nd half of last season - so given that, and Arse are playing as well as they can, will settle for draw.
      Problem is, City aren't letting up, and every point dropped makes it harder for us.
      Could be doing with Bob and Mo getting their top mojo back.
      And Fabinho needs more games.  Could be doing with Naby getting more time too.
      Did Allison make a mistake coming for the goal and not getting it and being out of position? - maybe that's harsh.
      Still, we didn't loose, and well in the mix.
      Roll on Red Star - need the 3 points there...
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #507: Nov 03, 2018 08:16:59 pm
      If Shaqiri played then we would have been even more exposed you lemon.

We were exposed the whole game by them. With Shaq we would have had at least someone who could guide the midfield and play some decent passes.

Even when he came on he gave the ball away twice in the first couple of mins which led to them attacking .

That happens when u come in cold.

The games against the better teams you need three strong centre Mids

Then we don't have three strong centre midfielders because we didn't control sh*t in the midfield and we didn't build up sh*it in the midfield. I really wonder if JĆ¼rgens comment that we are settled and don't need players in January is genuine. Because you can cleary see we are one of the weaker teams out of the top6 even if the table doesn't show it yet.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #508: Nov 03, 2018 08:17:23 pm
      Not only today, Klopp seems to lose the plot without Buvac. First he leaves out Shaq who could have given our midfield a boost, then he brings him when we lead 0-1 and could have used Lallana a lot better. What?!?

He brought him on as a forward though ya donut. He came on for Firmino and switched between playing as a 10 and at times in the right.

Such a WUM itā€™s untrue reacting to every draw like its a defeat and treating a few victories like they are draws.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #509: Nov 03, 2018 08:17:56 pm
      If Shaqiri played then we would have been even more exposed you lemon. Even when he came on he gave the ball away twice in the first couple of mins which led to them attacking .

The games against the better teams you need three strong centre Mids

Wouldn't bother mate. He's Beavis minus the Butt-Head.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #510: Nov 03, 2018 08:18:09 pm
      Spurs two up see what I mean, very tight
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #511: Nov 03, 2018 08:18:28 pm
      And we could have got a set piece in the dying seconds and have a big tall CB to throw a ball into

But seriously what the f**k does it matter - it wastes a couple of seconds , he put in a tackle , cleared a ball - done and dusted

Blimey what the hell is going to happen when we lose
      The last minute of a game when the goal margin is 0 or 1 is massive. Never should substitutions be made just for the sake of running down the clock, these type of subs often don't get enough tactical consideration and numerous times have managers regretted such changes. The problem with adding as extra defender means two players going for the same ball or nobody going for a ball, a 4-3-3 has a good use, a 5-3-2 is a formation no team in the league would start with, so why end with that? It almost ensures the opposition has a chance to win the game because we are happy to defend at the end. Like I say, if the ball is not in our half they can't score so stick a striker on. If you look at United v Bournemouth today, Bournemouth made a similar change on 91 and United scored on 92, so this "only 40 seconds" argument is bullsh*t.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #512: Nov 03, 2018 08:19:19 pm
      He brought him on as a forward though ya donut.

Yes, and I demand Shaq as an offensive midfielder, I demand Shaq to be our Maradona/Messi. He has the skills...but JĆ¼rgen thinks differently, he only sees another striker with some ballhandling in him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #513: Nov 03, 2018 08:20:00 pm
      Yes, and I demand Shaq as an offensive midfielder, I demand Shaq to be our Maradona/Messi. He has the skills...but JĆ¼rgen thinks differently.

Thank F**k.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #514: Nov 03, 2018 08:23:14 pm
      Missed the game today due to work.

Would have taken a draw before kick off so the result isn't the end of the world.

German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #515: Nov 03, 2018 08:23:21 pm
      Such a WUM itā€™s untrue reacting to every draw like its a defeat and treating a few victories like they are draws.

I am a realist. Normally we lose to City, Chelsea and Arsenal. We didn't because we got lucky and people like you start to think everything is alright. It isn't when your quest is to win the PL & CL. If you just wanna hold the league then - yeah - we're doing pretty good.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,897 posts | 3394 
      Reply #516: Nov 03, 2018 08:23:24 pm
      We were exposed the whole game by them. With Shaq we would have had at least someone who could guide the midfield and play some decent passes.

Then we don't have three strong centre midfielders because we didn't control sh*t in the midfield and we didn't build up sh*it in the midfield. I really wonder if JĆ¼rgens comment that we are settled and don't need players in January is genuine. Because you can cleary see we are one of the weaker teams out of the top6 even if the table doesn't show it yet.

The issue was missing Henderson and Keita which meant Fabinho had to play - if one of those was fit then Fabinho would have been on the bench
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #517: Nov 03, 2018 08:23:38 pm
      Garbage tonight from the midfield was amazed Fabinho came out in the 2nd half he was horrendous. Gini was anonymous as well donā€™t know what Shaq has to do to start one of these 
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #518: Nov 03, 2018 08:26:34 pm
      The issue was missing Henderson and Keita which meant Fabinho had to play - if one of those was fit then Fabinho would have been on the bench
      I agree with that actually. Even as a Henderson critic, I think he would have added some stability when Fabinho was struggling today. Henderson sometimes struggles against better opposition but it couldn't have been worse than Fabinho today. If Gini dropped into DM then Kieta would have been good. I'm still backing Fabinho to make a steak for that role though and I'll think he'll do just Fab in the next game.
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2018 08:33:33 pm by Ribapuru »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,897 posts | 3394 
      Reply #519: Nov 03, 2018 08:27:54 pm
      The last minute of a game when the goal margin is 0 or 1 is massive. Never should substitutions be made just for the sake of running down the clock, these type of subs often don't get enough tactical consideration and numerous times have managers regretted such changes. The problem with adding as extra defender means two players going for the same ball or nobody going for a ball, a 4-3-3 has a good use, a 5-3-2 is a formation no team in the league would start with, so why end with that? It almost ensures the opposition has a chance to win the game because we are happy to defend at the end. Like I say, if the ball is not in our half they can't score so stick a striker on. If you look at United v Bournemouth today, Bournemouth made a similar change on 91 and United scored on 92, so this "only 40 seconds" argument is bullsh*t.

Matip came on , made two challenges , cleared one ball , clock run down - job done

Blurting on about ā€œifsā€ is irrelevant- managers all over the world for the past twenty years have been making subs in the last minute

Anything can happen in a football match - Mo could have given away a free kick with 30 seconds to go and we could have conceded- but itā€™s just irrelevant ifs from people who have nothing but negative bullshit to spout
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #520: Nov 03, 2018 08:28:09 pm
      Not upset with the score apart from the idiotic linesman but more of the commitment of the players. Many of the players jogged and not run and always 2nd to the ball. If we had ran faster and add a few more tackles to regain possession and go on a counter arsenal,  will sh*t. We simply made them looked better than they are.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #521: Nov 03, 2018 08:28:14 pm
      To be honest, I think Firmino has has had an incredibly poor season. The touch is off, associative play is worse off, and even his movement which is something that posed teams problems is nowhere to be seen.

Arsenal play two midfielders deep and overlapping fullbacks. That was always going to be a problem for him and it showed. These are those games where he has to notice what is happening around him and play higher up instead of always dropping deep.

I also think that Klopp has one hard job and it is a thankless one too. The attacking play last season got a lot of people excited and maybe he has lost something with Buvac leaving. That said, it is not easy when the guys you brought to sharpen up midfield are struggling. It also does not help that most of the returning players in that department outside Wijnaldum have not been great most of the season. It is not as easy as flipping the switch, and when you do not have the confidence in attack, you generally tend to fall back to what is getting you results.
      Can't really disagree with anything you wrote here, still He (Klopp) could have Sub'ed Shaqiri for Fab, or Milner early second half and given the front three a bit more quality balls to feed on...

Little story...
      I was driving down the motorway and coming up on a slip road. A car was booming down this road to join the motorway, and cut up two cars one of them us,almost causing an accident. As I said to my bother at the time, I don't know if i was mad at the driver for doing it, or madder that I knew he was going to do it...

This is how I feel about the game today. I could see the way things was going to go with the Firmino substitution. I knew Arsenal would score and that we had just taken off a scoring option. Yes he had not quite been up to his best, but the was showing sign that he could score and hit the cross bar with his flick over the goal keeper first half
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #522: Nov 03, 2018 08:28:15 pm
      Yes, and I demand Shaq as an offensive midfielder, I demand Shaq to be our Maradona/Messi. He has the skills...but JĆ¼rgen thinks differently, he only sees another striker with some ballhandling in him.

He isnā€™t a patch on either of them Iā€™m afraid. Heā€™s a good player who is working his way into the team and in time perhaps he will be the first name on the team sheet but I suspect not. I personally would have played Lallana today instead of Fab. It would have got some guille into midfield and would have helped us beat their press without sacrificing on work rate and physical side.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #523: Nov 03, 2018 08:29:37 pm
      Matip came on , made two challenges , cleared one ball , clock run down - job done

Blurting on about ā€œifsā€ is irrelevant- managers all over the world for the past twenty years have been making subs in the last minute

Anything can happen in a football match - Mo could have given away a free kick with 30 seconds to go and we could have conceded- but itā€™s just irrelevant ifs from people who have nothing but negative bullshit to spout
      I appreciate your points about what did happen, but such late changes feel awkward to me. Messes up the dynamic at a pivotal time, like I said.. cost Bournemouth a point against United today.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #524: Nov 03, 2018 08:34:03 pm
      He isnā€™t a patch on either of them Iā€™m afraid. Heā€™s a good player who is working his way into the team and in time perhaps he will be the first name on the team sheet but I suspect not. I personally would have played Lallana today instead of Fab. It would have got some guille into midfield and would have helped us beat their press without sacrificing on work rate and physical side.

Tough call for JĆ¼rgen today with players being unavailable, and with Arse at home and in good form, can understand why he did it. Personally I'd not have played Lallana cause he's another who hasn't quiet got back his form and confidence imho.
      I like Shaq and on form could argue he deserves a bit more game time, but putting him in same sentence as Messi is laughable.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #525: Nov 03, 2018 08:34:56 pm
      Maybe in your deluded mind. The game itself proves me and others right who demanded Shaq. We played pathetic, no way we would have looked worse with Shaq.

No you really canā€™t.

You however continue to beat your drum wildly out of time with the beat 🙄
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #526: Nov 03, 2018 08:35:18 pm
      Quote from German_Panzer
      Disappointing game.

1. If there was ever doubt we now know: this team is just not good enough to win the PL against City (sounds harsher than it is).
      2. This team is more a pretender than a contender.

I think the knee jerkers are forgetting something here:

#1. Liverpool 11, 27

Let's wait until we're below that, before we start writing the season off, shall we?

We didn't draw today because of Klopp, or Alisson, or TAA, or Fab, or Salah.

We draw today because we need a VAR to tell a ref what a valid goal is. Like they currently do in Germany, Spain, France and Italy.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #527: Nov 03, 2018 08:37:06 pm
      I am a realist. Normally we lose to City, Chelsea and Arsenal. We didn't because we got lucky and people like you start to think everything is alright. It isn't when your quest is to win the PL & CL. If you just wanna hold the league then - yeah - we're doing pretty good.

Bugger off back to the 80s in your time machine then pal. Weā€™ve been pretty sh*te for decades in case youā€™ve missed it.

As for being Lucky I see a team playing with a new found defensive resilience and for the first time in fook knows how long we can play poorly (from an attacking sense) and still win the game 1-0. Others choose to bemoan our inconsistent attacking play this season but i prefer to celebrate the improvements to our defending. It has been massively under-acknowledged imo. We rode our luck a bit tonight but then again weā€™re the side who had a perfectly good goal chalked off so maybe they are the lucky ones.

As for the title o donā€™t think we will win it either. City are ridiculously good. So good they donā€™t miss a player like KDB. Nice to be back in the mix though, nice to see the team play with some belief and nice to see us top of the league. That is (in case you hadnā€™t noticed) where we currently sit. It could be worse yanno.

No need to be the Forum Mood Hoover all the time.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #528: Nov 03, 2018 08:39:52 pm
      We had already made the CL final if I remember it, and even if I'm mistaken he was there for the main bulk of the campaign.

So whatā€™s the reason behind us having matched our best ever start to a PL campaign, being top and unbeaten as things stand? If Buvac is the reason behind all of Kloppā€™s success. From what I remember, Buvac didnā€™t come up with any answers when we got twatted by Spurs and City by this stage last season.
      Or are you just talking out your arse again?

Quick Reply